Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That whole site is just a rabbit hole of bizarre figures. It's like the miniatures range that realistic proportions forgot. Some of his stuff isn't awful though. I'm assuming he got CAD at some point to design new sculpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

How did you people even play in the 90s...

It was a dark time with beer bellied warriors and oddly proportioned weapons, but it had a goofy charm to it and when you have 100 identical dudes marching in loose formation because the models don't rank at all, you just accept it as normal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Bloodletters in 6E were loving amazing. Whenever I can get my stuff to Asia, those are certainly finding a place in my Kings of War army.

I'm also a huge fan of the 1997 High Elves. Those were some of the nicest metal sculpts GW did before the mass switch to multi-part plastic kits. And then right after that they did the Dogs of War range which was a good dozen unique units that all had excellent flare and character.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The 'nids started getting actual plastic kits in 3E with the new codex. I think that's when they more or less redid the whole range of large monsters. I think it's up for debate if the goofy old Hive Tyrant was better or worse than the more bug-like plastic one, but it didn't fit with the new range and the update was fine. The old Carnifex is clearly worse though. Or better. It depends on how much I've been drinking.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

No, those are pretty fine to rank up. What I meant was...

Those. They were still current when the Hordes of Chaos book came out back in 6th; it wasn't until some time in 7th iirc that they got replaced by the ball-socket ones.

Imagine trying to make sense of THIS clusterfuck:

Yeah, this was the first time I had to paint rank and row numbers on the bottom of the bases so that I could get them to rank every time. These were the first multi-part kits for Chaos and were definitely a 6e release, I want to say around 2002-2003. Before that, the Chaos warriors were single piece figures with a bit of a paunch. I might still have one in a box somewhere that I got with a painting set circa 1997.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Some day I will have amassed enough 5th Edition WHFB minis to play games with just period appropriate figures.

I've actually been sniping some 5e books lately because even though I know it's awful I still kind of like good old herohammer. I figure I have a complete set of Warhammer Magic sitting in a closet, I might as well use it. It's not like there's an official edition of Warhammer I should be playing anyway and if I want to play a serious fantasy game I've got Kings of War. I'm unlikely to get any of the minis though just because of what a hassle it is. Fortunately there are enough cheap alternatives on the market that I can proxy stuff fairly well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I like the lonely drop of red on the back of the sword.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Indolent Bastard posted:

SAGA is pretty good. Some RNG fuckery if the dice you need don't turn up on your turn, but I like it. I will say that the Rus Vikings are a little OP, but if you deny them rage you can win fairly handily.

This. I really wanted to like this more than I ended up liking it because the models are great and the concept is really cool. Forces are more or less composed of the same units so a warrior is a warrior regardless of if he's an Anglo-Saxon with a spear or a Moore with a scimitar which makes learning the game really straightforward. The battleboards let you put together some really awesome combos and the power creep, while present, isn't game breaking. But if the dice rolls don't go your way, you are totally hosed. You must have certain combinations of dice in order to perform actions and if those dice don't come up, your forces can only do basic actions. There are also just too many drat rolls going on in general for how many figures are ever on the table. It's like Kings of War where you have your target to hit number, the enemy provides a target to damage number, but then there's an armor save roll after that which feels superfluous and could be combined into the damage roll. And different models have different numbers of attacks and these can be boosted by a bunch of different abilities on the battleboards so you can end up rolling like 12 dice for 4 guys and sometimes more.

It's an alright game, but it has some pretty glaring flaws in my opinion.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Joe_Richter posted:

I don't really get complaints like this; you roll them all together and pick out the ones that meet or exceed the target number. It's not really any slower than rolling a single die and is certainly a hell of a lot quicker resolving than an equivalent 40k close combat.

The point is that rolling a bunch of dice is a huge pain in the rear end. Not everyone wants to pick up a handful of dice, or multiple phases of dice, roll and remember how many hits were scored or whatever, roll again, then let your opponent roll. 40K is also bullshit and saying, "Well, it's worse in other games," doesn't make it OK in this one. No, 12 is not a particularly large number. But it illustrates how quickly it can add up. If you took a larger unit of hearthguard, you could end up with a bucketfull of dice. It's annoying and a more graceful randomizer would simplify the number of dice rolled to speed up play.

quote:

While I suppose it is theoretically possible to be in a situation that you can't activate most/all your units. There's only 3 symbols on a die, the better units normally activate on any of the symbols anyway and the Warlord gets a free activation with which he can also drag another unit along with him with. I mean, the more powerful abilities normally need one of the rare symbols to activate (which is only on one of the six activation die faces), but you're normally rolling 6 activation dice a turn, you can bank die on the board for later turns and you there are mechanisms for re-rolling/rolling more dice.

It's not just about activations, it's about the right combos. Yeah, you get a free activation, basic actions are pretty easy with the more common faces, and there's probably never going to be a turn where you just can't do anything, but it's entirely possible your opponent will land the dice he needs for his best abilities every turn and you won't. That's bullshit and just dumb luck giving him an edge that you can do very little about. And the worst part of it is that if you land the combo you want, all you've really done is increased your chances of causing damage on your next roll. So you finally land your killer combo, you've got your bucketfull of dice, and then you roll for poo poo and end up having spent two turns saving and preparing to do basically nothing. That's definitely what I call fun.

These aren't problems that are necessarily unique to Saga. Kings of War will have you rolling way more dice, but the individual rolls all have a very clear purpose. And I feel that the way Kings of War rewards tactical play is less arbitrary. In Saga, I can really only be tactical if I have the activations for my army's combos whereas in Kings of War, it's all about position, flanking, prioritizing shooting targets, and timing charges and counter-charges. Yes, versions of those things exist in Saga, but you aren't really rewarded tangibly for doing them well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

Aren't SAGA and KoW a little different in scale?

Yeah, they are. The comparison was about how Kings of War rewards tactical play in one way and Saga in an entirely different way (in my opinion it's not much of a reward at all). I don't know that the scope of the battle matters much for those purposes, but yes the games are attempting very different things.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

some fiddly rule that I'm missing

Saga had loads of these too. We were constantly forgetting how many dice you could add to an attack, forgetting modifiers for assaults, or what the current effects of fatigue etc were being used for. Then there's of course counting and rounding defense dice and rolling to block wounds. I get how that works, but I always wanted it to do it where fails were deaths as opposed to successes being saves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess for me the frustration is in playing well and losing because the dice didn't go my way. What am I supposed to have learned from that? What should I have done differently? "Rolling better" isn't something I can implement into my strategy. I guess you can argue that it encourages you to try riskier things (grots vs termies) because, hey, it just might work. I still don't see that as playing the game well though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fathis Munk posted:

So what about things like X-COM ? Did you enjoy that game ?

Because the whole thing relies a hell of a lot on uncertainty and the most intense parts are the ones where your elite trooper missed his 95% shot and you have to scramble around to try and fix stuff.

That randomness just changes the way you need to plan ahead in the game in that it just means that you need a back up plan (or two) at all times and it most certainly makes you feel the whole war is much more dangerous. Sure it sucks when a lucky shot brings down one of your dudes but the game would not be the same without it's heavy RNG component.

It all just depends on how the game implements and presents all that stuff.

Never played it, but that's sounds frustrating as a substitution for fun.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

So would be any video game where damage and accuracy aren't fixed to be same all the time.

No, real frustration is Fallout Tactics where you don't why, given the same gun and working under ostensibly same set of rules, you aren't doing poo poo with you machinegun while some robot is making a killing.

No, I get it and I've played plenty of RPGs where at the crucial moment I needed to hit and I missed or hope was lost and I got a critical hit and was back in the game. The big difference here is that I can save the game and replay battles I've lost, so if I get some bullshit RNG results, it's at most set me back 20 minutes. That's hugely different to getting stomped on for 2 hours because I can't get the dice to go my way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

*SCREAMING EXTERNALLY*

I'm happy the artist took the time to gloss varnish this so it never risked having its paint job damaged.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Len posted:

That's brilliant. Reminds me of my impromptu terrain from when I lived in the dorms. I rolled up index cards and colored them brown. Then stuck a ball of green paper on top for trees. My water was just blue paper with two shades of blue for deep/shallow. It was fantastic.

I think people forget the humble roots of the game sometimes and don't realize that this is all a kid needs to have fun. Yes, there's something to be said for a nicely modeled table with realistic terrain and buildings, but some toilet paper tubes and a couple of pieces of foam board are all you need to get going.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Len posted:

Hell I'm 26 and still don't require much. Last time I played a miniature game we used books as terrain.

In a box somewhere is the sand dune I made for Gorkamorka by putting a smaller piece of cardboard on top of a larger piece of cardboard and wrapping it in yellow construction paper. I was pretty proud of that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The paper covered up the tiers and the tiny little bases Gorkamorka figures came on meant they couldn't possible stand anywhere on it but the dead center.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah but those Gorkamorka bases were notoriously bad. What a dumb rule was it that the orks had to fit in the trukk in order to be fieldable in the mission.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I remember when that kit came out. "Surely they'll do the Valhallans next," I said to myself.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mike12345 posted:

iirc the amazons cut off one breast so they could handle the bow better

This is a myth!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Indolent Bastard posted:

They are old Ral Partha/Dark Horse minis. There was a pretty big selection of them. I have the Turtles with laser weapons, shredder, mousers, Casey Jones, a Tricereton and few other minis. They are pretty sweet. The Groo minis are good too.

I really thought they were some kid's first attempt at sculpting with putty.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

Good GW writers:
Kim Newman
Ian Watson

Fun but not "good" GW writers:
Dan Abnett

Bad GW writers:
Everyone else

But I'm getting off-topic.

William King is totally fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Skellybones posted:

What the gently caress is going on with those treads

I can't remember if it was in this or another thread where it got brought up originally, but some people have a really loving hard time putting on tank treads for whatever reason.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

spectralent posted:

I put mine on badly when I was a kid, but that was because I was dumb and didn't dry-fit stuff first.

I think being a dumb kid is a huge part of it. When I was first getting into miniatures, I didn't really know any adults who were involved and spent most of my time with other kids around my age. At the FLGS, it was almost all middle and high school kids playing 40k and a handful of older guys who didn't want to drive downtown just to get a game in, but in retrospect they were weird (seriously, there was a guy in his 20s who wore a leather trenchcoat and bragged about his 16 year old girlfriend and how he was buddies with her mom). But the people I was regularly interacting with didn't have the greatest pool of knowledge and no one really knew what they were doing. You had the odd kid who was really loving good at painting and modeling for some reason, but he couldn't explain to anyone how he did what he did. There was another friend I had who blew me away when he grabbed a spare heavy bolter sponson, glued it to a marine, and then stuck on a section of a bracelet as an ammo feed to make a cheap devastator. I would never have dreamed of converting my own units before that. Basically, it took a long time to learn how to do this stuff properly, from basic assembling technique like filing mold lines and gap filling, to more complicated conversions. I've learned way more about hobbying now that I'm an adult who games with other adults and we have enough collective experience between us that we understand how to explain techniques to each other. But it took me a decade of poorly painted models to get here.

You'd think with the internet and YouTube, kids would have better resources from which to learn, but this thread is evidence that that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

Yes, but who gives kids enough money to buy God-drat Baneblades?

This hobby naturally attracts people who are terrible with money. I found a fully assembled Land Raider in the trashcan at the FLGS. It is still in my collection.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Soak them in Dettol if you have that available.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ijyt posted:

Just don't try to rinse them off with water if you do. Has to be rinsed off with neat brown dettol.

I had not heard this. I just soaked some figures in Dettol and then rinsed them with water and it worked fine. Am I going to die?

Moola posted:

dont use dettol it stinks

It does! I used sealed tupperware and put it on my windowsill and it still stank to high heaven.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When you think about it, we're already dead on the inside.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm down with cheap ork kits because I can use them as Marauders in Warpath or motivate people to play Gorkamorka. That's probably the Gorkamorka wartrakk anyway which was a fine little kit for what it was. I'm just disappointed it's not a cheap trukk or ork bike.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm visiting home at the moment and going through my old miniatures. Most have been the typical "thin your paints" garbage seen frequently in this thread, but they're not really bad enough to deserve mocking on the internet. However, I stumbled across some... creations... I made out of extra bits when I was bored I guess.

Have at the thread.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ilor posted:

I don't... I... What... What am I...

Dear GODS, man, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I think the idea was that I wanted to add another heavy weapon to the unit and figured it was something the Dark Eldar would be cool with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Who wants to look at my elves on shelves?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh I'm changing mine to:
Bought used from Europe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Star Man posted:

Is that some kind of sex thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elf_on_the_Shelf

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Someone should replace the breasts with scrunt heads.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
One of the first things I noticed on my Saga horses was that half of them had wangs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I wonder if GW ever grappled with the issue of realistic horse anatomy? Surely it must have come up in 30 years of sculpting. Someone probably said something like, "This is a game for kids, we can't have horse wangs."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm the lovingly detailed battle dicks.

EDIT: This was called a "crime against miniatures"

This guy is way above the three color minimum. loving try hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well painted lizardmen kroxigor.