Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I'm the assless dwarfs

I'm the dwarf greeting the other dwarfs as assless chaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Embarrassed dwarf hiding the lack of rear end

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Age of Sigmar and 40k 8th are pretty much the equivalent of when Star Wars makes toys out of the dude on cloud city holding the ice cream machine - anything that is ever mentioned once in passing gets an entire army, and completely loses everything that makes them interesting.

Ice cream maker guy actually owns though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like my smolbois who are normal human proportions (for GW) and not monstrous hulks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Chaos Cumguzzler Vagrant

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m still waiting for the bloodblood mudbloods

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the ancient webs and aeons of dust being disturbed by the figure awakening from slumber.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Given the dominance of single-angle view NMM years ago, I would love for that to come back with a vengeance with weird close-up angle minis.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

he added mr potato head and army soldiers lol

:eyepop:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah! There's some gundam modellers that do it and it's wild to see how messed up they look in a neutral pose.

Yo post 'em, I need to see this

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EthanSteele posted:

You asked for it!

A bunch of super robot stuff comes with a special weirdly proportioned sword to recreate a forced perspective thing

When it actually looks like this

Forced perspective minis would be rad

:eyepop:

You know I've always wondered why some swords looked like that and thought it was just a chonky cloud sword. Now I know

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Owns. I think the weird background and general fuzziness of the shading make it look like a filter's been applied to the picture, making it harder to see.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am a bit nostalgic for early 2000s SENMM.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TotalHell posted:

Boob / squig
Boob / squig
Boob / squig
Boob / squig
You know what you doing
Take off every squig

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't think it's lack of painting skills but mostly "look at how cool this mini is." I see so many minis where the creator essentially said it was done after the modeling part so the paintjob just looks lazy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah yes, the fabled Tnurcs

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's it called when a scrunt's head goes into their chest?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

im sure they’ll have giant anime tiddies

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thocan posted:

I mean, I'm not saying it's the best solution, but I don't know how else would you do it? Between the surgeries, genetic enhancement, and literal ton of armor, I can't see how the models would look different without resorting to something also lame. Maybe a bare head pack, I guess?

Not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious how GW should do it in a good way.

Fluff wise, I'm all in favor of them writing in female recruits, and the primaris shift was a big opportunity to write that in that GW missed.

Edit: poo poo, if chaos stuff wasn't treated as mostly cartoonishly evil, I'd say let them figure it out first. The rebels fighting against the fascist Imperium welcome all recruits, and an extra half of your population suddenly becoming viable for marine-ing can't hurt your situation.

But having that only happen in the bad guy faction definitely sours the idea

GW can control the fiction and has several times retconned entire factions to better suit their needs. The Tau turned from being too optimistic to being closer to generic grimdark between the newer fiction and DOW2. Just put a line in there about recovered tech or relaxing requirements cuz they're running out of bodies, whatever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eagle head should’ve been painted blue

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s always Wednesday somewhere

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Wednesday throne

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southern Heel posted:

Nothing at all against the modeller, this to me is a typical example of the unreadability of modern sculpts:

Yeah that's a great example of all the crap I see in modern design. Getting into star wars legion and shatterpoint was a breath of fresh air compared to the GW stuff. Simple, clean silhouettes, even the stylized sculpts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The veins are very nice. Just gotta paint in layers. Usually a mist coat of the skin color to lay down a base, then veins, then micro-splatters of red/green/blue paints to add sub-surface detailing, then a top coat of transparent skin color to unify all the colors, then a litter more spattering of red/yellow colors for more prominent skin blemishes.

I used a similar technique on my Mohawk statue a few years back, in regards to the veining on the ears. Hadn't learned about the color spattering for sub surface details yet at the time, which was a shame, would've really made the skin pop.

Do you have links to articles/theory for the sub surface detailing techniques, veins, and blemishes? I'm likely never going to paint in that style since I like very exaggerated anime saturation but it might be interesting to try on a mini or two.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Z the IVth posted:

Skin biology

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Skin tips and tricks

Thanks for the in depth posting! I've tended to paint a lot of darker skinned minis so that's probably why I haven't really had to think about it before so that's good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LaSquida posted:

I actually don't mind naked mdf terrain but it makes me feel that the battle is like a play or reenactment and the final round is going to be curtain call.

Never thought about it that way but that’s actually a nice aesthetic. Shatterpoint already has some of that feel due to the cartoony minis and limited terrain with exaggerated features. I should actually paint the terrain cel shaded style to add to that look. And add some 2D pieces too, like some bushes and a big tree with a hole in it.