Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I think it's a joke about the Cron Air list being full of croissants.

We call any list with more than three scythes on it a Necron Breakfast Buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I remember first looking at that kickstarter for the Kingdom Death game and thinking 'Oh, hell yeah, fantasy X-COM with minis I can assemble and apint myself' - this was the early phase where there were just a few cheesecake minis and that's it. Then I clicked around the site a bit and came across the Wet Nurse and the dickheaded forge god and poo poo. Godfuckingdamnit nerds, why do you have to ruin everything.

Edit, speaking of nerds ruining everyhting.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 27, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The chaps are stupid but I feel the faces accurately represent what a woman would look like after being made into a marine. All these pervy weirdos love the idea of female marines, but how many of them realize that post surgery/steroid/whatever treatments you'd basically have Chyna's face with the body of Triple H. That would be the best troll, if GW was just like "Oh yeah, there are female marines, but after genetic modification VIA ancient tech sorcery implant and the cultivation of an entire subdermal exoskeleton all marines are basically genderless and you cant tell them apart."

Not to mention after adding several inches of powered armor on top of all that. But no, deprived nerds gotta have their boob plates.

Kind of like how a friend of mine ordered in a bunch of these hell hounds or whatever - probably intended as offbrand Chaos Warhounds, he used them for more bestial Fenrisian Wolves.

He was less than pleased when he started cleaning them up and realized they came with anatomically correct nuts and sheathes. And yes, I DID rib him mercilessly about having to get his doggies snipped.

Edit: After a quick google search, I THINK they were Barghest Fiends from puppetswar - I could be mistaken though, I didn't think to ask.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Headless, faceless, armless female torsos with bare tits, bondage corsets, and a couple of vaginas where vaginas shouldn't be, lovingly sculpted into the door openings of the purple Land Raider. Goddamnit and I was already thinking that was a good non-creepy (save for Chaos creepy) EC army. Fuckssake.

:nws:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2717_resize.jpg?t=1251652954
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2718_resize.jpg?t=1251652964
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2719_resize.jpg?t=1251652966
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Slaanseh666/Mantis%20Warriors/IMG_2714_resize.jpg?t=1251652951

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, the example I was thinking of involved an Illyrian Reaver primed white with some blue and red applied, then covered in Devlan Mud. Exceedingly low effort, but done to let the guy into a 3 colors minimum event. It was pretty sad since the guy spent a decent amount of time getting good with his list, but felt the need to disrespect his opponents like that.

Really bad part is with a minimal amount of extra work, his stuff would have gone from crappy to actually passable. Part of what I want to get into is the places were you can cut a few corners and still have a good looking finished product.

I found the painting tutorial videos by TheApatheticFish pretty drat good. Dude clearly isn't a primary English speaker, but he does all sorts of cool paintjobs with a basic prime-basecoat-wash-highlight sequence - I knocked out a whole Dark Vengeance box for the local store's display case in about two weeks based on his color schemes. Simple powerful basic techniques that even a complete newbie should be able to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCWHT4okIU Crimson Slaughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-mNDHeB24 Space Wolves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcb64k8KmwY Skaven

If we really want to start the 'basic painting/modeling' thread, this is the sort of stuff we'll want to promote, I think.

JcDent posted:

That is some hentai crap right there. Muffblasters, boob-surgery-gone-wrong boobs, firing cooches... I'd ask how do you masturbate to that, but I have seen quite few "globalized fetish" threads in my time.

(and wouldn't a Land Raider with demon vehicle upgrade lose carrying capacity?)

Although this gives me an idea: A Slanesshi boozehound gang! Just use rules for nurgle Marines (too drunk to feel pain/walk fast), paint it the Marines usual Slaneeshi/EC pink/black, model vine bottles and stills attached to Marines, and you're good to go.

I was toying around with the thought of making an EMperor's Children army based on sound - that is, a warband obsessed with finding the 'perfect sound' or something like that. Custom-built sonic weapons, cables and amps and loudspeakers in all sorts of improbable locations, Marines wired into their guns. Lots of eerie glowy pastel blues and purples. I always thought the basic idea of Slaaneshi marines was terricool - Marines given to obsession over detail and perfection - but of course nerds have to glom onto the 'heheheboobies' part of the god-thing of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

And for the record, a Land Raider with demon vehicle won't lose carrying capacity - however, whenever a unit embarks or disembarks, you get to roll a dice and see if the thing won't straight up eat a random passenger (and heal a lost hull point). lovely with something pricey like chaos terminators, hilarious if you intentionally start feeding cultists to it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You could actually electroplate pewter miniatures with chromium/silver/gold/whatever, just plonk them in a metal salt bath with the mini as the negative cathode and the donor metal as the positive anode.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I almost put money into the kickstarter because I stumbled upon it in the early, early phase and liked the thought of fantasy XCOM - some of the models they showed were a little cheesecakey but that was it. Thankfully KS didn't like my credit card so I they didn't send up seeing a penny - I think my expression could be summed up as :stonk: when I checked the kickstarter a couple of weeks later and they'd revealed some of the 'stretch rewards'. Jesusfucknerds.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Squid have black cannons full of semen they inject into ships?

I kind of love the idea that the squid has a fetish for tiny girls, and is also aware enough to know, through all the broken planking 'oh poo poo, I just grabbed one! Better shove my phallic lance in there and unload!'

Sort of a combo of the guys who want to screw cars and the ones who like dolls. In squid form.

I think it's supposed to be a random steam/water pipe ruptured by the tentacle.

Still, come the gently caress on nerds.

Then again, if this was a KD mini the tentacle'd be already so deep in the poor girl the tip'd be wriggling out of her mouth..

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
A friend asked me to paint some of his Dark ELdar for him and seeing the models reminded me of something I'd successfully blokced out until now - years ago, I was visiting one of the bigger gamestores and this stinky neckbeard was all hyped up about his new dark eldar minis (this was around the DA reboot). His prize that he was inordionately pleased about was one of the Dark Eldar Archons with the flayed skin cloak.

This one.

Of course the creepy part was that the dude had clearly put a lot of love and effort into highlighting certain features onto the cloak. Emo elf was wearing a cloak of flayed tits is what I'm trying to say here.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

I'm guessing it was meant to be a crying Eldar goddess. Aren't the tears of Isha something in the fluff? I don't know much about Eldar.

Now, why she had to be naked, I don't know. Hams gonna ham. :shrug:

Fluff has it that soulstones are the tears of Isha, shed to guide her children home.

Her tits being out are pure one-handed hamminess, though. At least she's not getting molested by tentacles.. that's probably on the next tank in the line.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Protip for aspiring paint strippers: Get two tupperware containers with lids, the kind that you can neatly nestle within one another and get a nice seal. Take a smallish (~2mm) drill bit and drill a shitlot of holes in the bottom of one tub. Put the minis in that, the whole thing in the intact tub, and pour in the superclean. Slap a lid on the whole thing, of course.

Once your minis have soaked you can just take off the lid and gently lift the upper tub, and the holes in the bottom will neatly strain the superclean out. You won't even need to fish around for all the loose bits!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It doesn't help that battletech grognards are the worst grognards and everytime someone comes up with a better-looking modernized mech design, you have basement-dwelling neckbeards rising to the ramparts about how those old designs have SPIRIT and CHARM and how the new models are OFFENSIVE TO THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.

This is a game whose core ruleset has not changed at all in the last twenty-five years, it's just had more and more crap piled onto it. It's the exact same with the models.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The new X-COM actually does that on the Easy and Normal difficulty levels - if you keep on taking the same shot and missing, it slightly adjusts the RNG to make a hit more likely. Like, if you have three dudes with a 60% chance to hit a sectoid in cover, the first dude might hit at 60%, the second would still show as 60% but actually hit at 65%, and the third would still show as 60% but actually hit at 70%. (Example, no idea of the actual adjustments).

It's generally seen as a good idea to play at Classic difficulty or up just because the slight RNG training wheels you get actually teach you bad habits that can seriously gently caress you over on harder difficulties.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

JcDent posted:

Same, definitely not an originsl model. Maybe it' something from urban mammoth?

Also, why didn't you link Put Your Best Butt Forward?

Now, to google wtf outsider art is.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that as a part of some sort of a scifi skirmish game line that came up here earlier, but drat if I can remember the name of the game. The base model is supposed to be some sort of a genemodded abomination that spawns swarms of these little skulls-on-spider-legs type aliens.

Edit: Yeah, there we go. I wish I could say that I'm surprised the dude just greenstuffed some tits on it.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 9, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The neckbeard holding her in his basement sex dungeon has tied her arms too tightly and her fingers are swelling from lack of circulation?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

working mom posted:

If the middle bit is a head then it looks like 2 short monstrosities stacked on top of each other, all they are missing is a trench coat to look like 1 big one

I'm not picturing one of the bosses fro Demon's Crest - it looks like an insect-centaur-type monstrosity but is actually two monsters, one scuttling crab-thing and the 'head' is a smaller monster. It actually lobs the little fucker at you.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

JcDent posted:

They took the design portfolios for both AdMech and Mechanicum, then scrambled the contents together.

Apparently fluffwise this dude *is* about ten thousand years old so it would make sense he's got some bits of 30K look to him, too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'll put it this way, in the Fall of Cadia book Trazyn basically sasses him out for being a weirdass toaster lover.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also slightly differing philosophies. While both had the whole thing with machine spirits, data-djinni and the like down pat, the Mechanicum actually aimed to research and develop new technologies, instead of just digging up bits of old datacores and such.

When the Mechanicum went through its schism during the Heresy, the Dark Mechanicum generally ended up with the wildest, most off-the-wall magi whose inventions were already borderline unsanctioned - one of Horus' promises to them was a complete lift on all restrictions on reasearch - so after the Heresy, the remainder (who would eventually become the 'modern' Adeptus Mechanicus) were mostly left with the most hidebound, conservative, innovation-and-invention-are-a-sin-and-we-must-stick-with-the-knowledge-of-the-ancients science-as-religion types.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

JcDent posted:

Are we talking abou the same space barbie? Because the SM commander comes in a regular rear end box that lists all the amazing bitz that you can put on him.

I don't much care for WYSIWYG as I play infinity, I just hate grav, the current 40k meta and 40k rules et al.

Two different kits. The new-new Space Marine Captain is a single clampacked mini that doesn't come with many wargear options - he has a power sword and a combi-grav and options for a bare/helmeted head and that's it, but he's pretty drat well sculpted:

Meanwhile, the slightly-older-but-new Space Marine Force Commander kit is a little box with two sprues full of all sorts of interesting bits that are also compatible with the rest of the plastic Marine range, so you can get some pretty unique combos:

Edit: Of course, the new clam pack also costs £24 when you compare it to £14 for the old kit.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Battletech does this way better. It advances the story without invalidating older eras. So you can just play the era you want to play in. And if you want to play a different era with units painted incorrectly, you can just say the mechs themselves were recently discovered in a forgotten hangar and you haven't had a chance to paint them in the current style, or this is where a future pattern got its start or something. Literally no one will care.

With the caveat that the old original tech (heyooooo 3025-era designs, especially the ones with a goddamned AC/5 for a primary weapon - yes I'm looking at you Dragon) tend to be pretty drat poo poo when you start including newer stuff.

While I love the fact that theoretically all the old Battletech stuff is 100% compatible with the new stuff, power creep is still very much A Thing.

Irate Tree posted:

This was a long arse time ago but it still pisses me off that they can't make a single character kit, even approaching the level of customisation, for xenos races as they did for the marines! The newer Dark Eldar Archon is a step in the right direction, if only because; you'll have plenty of bits from any of the infantry kits (Kabalites and Scourges most notably) that work seamlessly on him.
I keep looking at the Eldar Autarch kit and just think, among other things, "What a waste of potential."

I loved that SM Commander kit and the Chaos Space Marine Terminator Lord kit - that one can make a Sorcerer Lord or a regulator Lord in Terminator Armor, complete with a shitlot of ornate wargear options. I was always disappointed there were no similar options for other races, but on the other hand I can understand where GW is coming from; generally not cost effective to keep on making boxes a given player will only ever really want one of.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

'Nuff said.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

ADB's Night Lords books have them talk about how those were just their ceremonial/parade ground helmets and actually wearing them in combat was a really stupid idea. I think that was a decent retcon since it also made the characters look a lot less silly in my head.

If I recall correctly, there's a sequence where one of the Night Lords characters is pissed at how all the loyalists/guardsmen/whatever shooting at his squad seem to always single him out of the whole bunch - right before he realizes that oh, hey, actually, he's STILL wearing the stupidass ceremonial helmet with the two-foot-long bat wings on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

My theory is, he just bought himself the Titan, underestimated the time ad effort to build the actual chassis, and slapped the guns and a couple of carapace pieces on some styrofoam in roughly the right shape for a quick game with the buds.