Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pulled Pork Bendy posted:

Honestly, the divide between people's reactions to Malifaux and Infinity might just be that Infinity falls under the banner of gross-anime-business for some and Malifaux doesn't. Not that some of Infinity isn't gross-anime-business.

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with presentation and in-universe context with their settings. In Infinity, the Caledonian Volunteers for instance are ostensibly a sort of home guard/Volkssturm type organization not a bunch of strippers yet one of them dresses and is posed like one. Infinity says "this is serious, these are serious soldiers doing soldier stuff" and then just tosses in stuff like boob plate and fashion model poses on a huge number of it's female miniatures. Malifaux on the other hand is not meant to be taken seriously, it's a horror/western pop culture pastiche setting, stuff like sexy zombie nurses are their because that's the territory of B movie horror films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Doctor Borris posted:

Malifaux reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade. I don't mean any offense here but it's hard to point out any specific part of its insane wonderful tapestry as specifically too far. It's all so B movie wonderful with a lot of heart. It's like if you tell someone, will a totally sincere face, that you think Troll 2 might not be a very good movie. Malifaux has a serial killer necromancer who kills hookers to make undead. That is both awful and logical at the same time.

Infinity has a lot more seriousness, so the strippers who say they are combat soldiers and not, like in malifaux, undead nurse strippers.

It's the same reason why "bad" movies like Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Once Upon A Time in Mexico are enjoyable, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a slog. There is stuff that is more acceptable within genre fiction than outside of it, and when something tries to be serious and misses it has much greater ramifications for the setting as a whole.

And I want to make it clear. I have nothing strictly against Infinity, I really like the game and play it frequently, or against a lot of "sexy" minis. I'm fine with Infinity's pinup range, for instance. If something is intentionally supposed to be sexual and presented in the context, it's a little weird, but whatever each to their own. It's when they undermine the position of women in the actual setting by needlessly sexualizing them for no reason. It's why I use third party minis for my Infinity stuff (specifically Dreamforge things) because I sometimes like to have some power fantasy that's aimed at my gender and portrays women who are just badasses without needing to be titszapoppin.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

demota posted:

It'll be a monthly curated snack subscription service.

You joke but I'm kinda shocked there isn't a Lootcrate style service for miniatures.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ilor posted:

What, like ALL elves have to be skinny and pale and waifish? That's some pretty racist poo poo right there. ;)

He actually likes the Mantic elves if I remember, so his elf opinions should be taken with container ships full of salt.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

berzerkmonkey posted:

CATACHAN MUSCLE IS ARMOR!

IIRC back when they had their own Codex (in 3rd and 4th editions) the Catachans did have worse armor across the board than normal IG. Well, in 3rd they did, in 4th they just couldn't buy Carapace armor.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Nah, the flyer with landing gear on the lower turret is worse. (ed: the Stormtalon)

And the very concept of hurricane bolter is so dumb it rolls around to awesome and back to idiotic.

It's actually a real thing, using linked turrets of infantry weapons sometimes makes sense. There was a linked version for Bi-planes that used Thompsons and an anti-infantry version the Russians used in WWII that mounted 80 PPSH-41 SMG's inside the bay of a bomber. They also show up in places like Libya where guys are making stuff in garages, and when you don't have real heavy infantry support weapons, having four normal guns shooting at loosely the same place is an average substitute.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

KingFisher posted:

Any protips for cleaning awful bold paint from GW plastic? Green stuff works well on metals but no so much on these chaos duradins.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It basically does the same chemical process you use to convert fat into soap, so it will really gently caress with your hands sometimes. I guess depends on how oily your skin is.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Some day I will have amassed enough 5th Edition WHFB minis to play games with just period appropriate figures.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Somewhere I have all my Btech stuff painted in bright pink with purple hazard striping. Garish is just how you roll with that game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Star Man posted:

I don't understand why people hate line of sight rules. A unit can't see a target and therefore cannot shoot at it.

True Line of Sight is a poo poo mechanic that never works well. It's arbitrary, fiddly and inelegant and it has no upside to an abstracted line of sight system.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

As a person who cares far too much about Nerf guns, this is by far the best use of the Terrordrone, which is an all together really terrible toy on it's own.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I never got the obsession with Boudica. She's like the go-to warrior queen even though she was really really bad at that stuff and got her rear end handed to her during the one real battle she fought against the Romans. I guess it's probably because there isn't a large amount of stuff written about her so unlike a lot of other strong historical women leaders (ex: Ching Shih) we don't have the context that points to, like most strong leaders in history, them also being ruthless and generally not very nice (ex: Olga of Kiev).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

Oh it's worse. American chattel slavery was much worse for the slaves than ancient greek slavery. Not that being a slave to a Spartan was a barrel of laughs, I'm just saying, if we want to examine our cultural heroes from the perspective of modern views about human rights, American heroes come off even worse.

Yeah this was a thing that had to always be pointed out when I was teaching people about the Dark Ages. The Vikings technically owned slaves but due to how poor most people were and how the legal code treated slaves you actually might have it better off as a slave since the law required that your owner feed and clothe you, so often you'd get food when, for instance, your owners kids wouldn't. They also had different levels of slavery, where you had slave slaves and indentured servants. Slaves often had it better off in strange ways because of how Viking society perceived a sense of honor. If you were a slave, especially one from far off lands you were often better regarded than some indentured servants because you weren't forced into servitude by dept or family pressure but instead had to be taken by force. Indentured servants were common as well, often a single household would have several bondsmen bound to it's leader, but there was an intricate web of how honorable of a bondsmen you were based on exactly how you became an indentured servant (pledging your sword to a strong leader = very honorable and noble, your dad owed money to a guy so he gave him his 15 year old son = bad for your parents, not terrible for you since you were now essentially a surrogate son of a more powerful guy, tribe got beaten up by the household owners tribe = a horrible lowlife dirtperson is you).

American slavery was extremely non-complex and exceptionally brutal even by the historical standards of slavery, especially when we look at slavery as practiced by the Vikings, Greeks and golden age Arabs.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Indolent Bastard posted:

Like a true gentleman!

This game has some of the most brutal hand to hand combat rules of any game I've ever played.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Awesome! What are these sculpts from? They seem to be based on the Eastman and Laird Turtles more than the cartoon ones. Or actually more in-line with the recent NECA TMNT action figures.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really thought they were some kid's first attempt at sculpting with putty.

They're pretty small, 1/72 scale, so that's a factor in the detail as well.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm getting flashbacks of trying to stick together those loving Cephalyx Overlords and eGaspy from Warmachine. gently caress you PP for cutting up your greens so that you have long, thin, fragile components with the tiniest possible contact area.

I am triggered by this.

Those aren't even close to the worst ones. The Everblight Spawning Vessel used to come with arms that were too small to fit into the pegs on the torso. You'd get them all un-bent (because all of the old PP metals came in the form of pewter pretzels) and straightened up and then you'd realize you'd be off my about a millimeter and you'd have to choose between slightly bent staves or not really in the hole arms.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kwyndig posted:

Pretty much all the Space Crusade stuff looks like trash, but the Warzone figures are so insanely inconsistent in their sculpts, even in the same armies. At least none of them (except for a few Dark Legion models) have their tits out, but several are wearing thighhighs and combat loincloths, which for a game about corporate warfare in the future set against a backdrop of NotChaos evil is just mindboggling.

The Demigods line is all poo poo though.

Eh, Warzone, even more so than 40k, was influenced and based on stuff like 2000AD, Ronin and other 80's/90's comics. The sort of scuzzy punk rock hooker meets oppressive gaskmasked corporate overlords vibe was very central to that whole style.

I'm not a big fan of the titsmarines, but I do like the bikers, if they're reasonably priced I might pick some of them up for my FFoKF 80's themed street gang.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ah yes, another victory for Spanish copyright law I see.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Well WarZone started AS 40k. Mutant Chronicles was originally a 40K role playing game but then GW decided they didn't like it and axed it, so Heartbreaker changed some stuff and published it themselves. A lot of the cool poo poo they came up (and supposedly that GW complained about) ended up mysteriously in 3rd edition 40k somehow and no one knows why.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Most of it was I believe rolled into the 3rd Ed Inquisition books. Since prior to 3rd the Inquisition was pretty undefined and vague in 40k. It was basically the info you got in the army book that came with 2nd Ed and that was it, most Inquisitors were just Terminators in hoods and then Grey Knights were also a vague thing as well. Most of the RT era Inquisition stuff was focused around the Inquisitors hunting down the mortal descendants of the Emperor with a side order of the GK's being special Terminators that were made to kill Daemons. It's pretty clear if you read the early Mutant Chronicles stuff about The Brotherhood, which is what the Inquisition became when they did the rewrites, that they were going in a much more "3rd Ed" (for lack of a better term) direction with the Inquisition while GW was still more in a "2nd ed is fun and wacky" sort of place. From what I've heard they looked at 40k and decided to go whole hog on writing stuff into parts of the setting that were fairly undefined or low in scale because the actual breadth of concepts for a game about Space Marines is kinda shallow, and so that's why so much of it is about things like sinister cults, lone commandos and groups of religiously motivated assassins. A lot of it was, I guess originally, supposed to explore the religious foundations of the cult of the Emperor, which is where a lot of the stuff that later became about Durand came from. Basically, Mutant Chronicles is the game you get when a bunch of guys read through the setting bible for 40k and realize that all the cool stuff is the weird little things in the deep cracks and recesses and not the Orks vs Marines splattered on the cover. I think MC is actually a much better setting than 40k, even though huge swaths of their backstory is almost identical. MC is much more "cyberpunk" in the sense that it has this sort of overall sense of dread and desperation. I think also the not-Chaos guys in MC are actually a more interesting enemy than Chaos itself is because they are presented as more insidious and subversive while 40k Chaos is very black and white (outside of stuff like the "good" 40k books). Basically there is a reason people still love things like the Lost and the Damned, Genestealer Cults and Sensei Knights, and a lot of what fueled the design of Mutant Chronicles and WarZone as a universe was people who also were into that specific angle of 40k. The miniatures for WarZone were never in-line with the style of the art and the tone of the stories in the books, but I think it's very telling that the game originally died around when 3rd Edition 40k saw a general shift towards a more gritty and dark and less irreverent and ultra-violencey version of 40k which was always (in my mind at least) where the big difference between the two games lay. It's cool that the game and RPG are back and being worked on again but I feel that the ship has long ago sailed for the setting as a whole. Most of what was good about the game heavily influenced Warmachine which I think at this point is basically where the actual bloodline of the original game has continued.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cat Face Joe posted:

This is real good considering that GW has openly stated that their business plan is just a revolving door of teenage boys dumping their disposable income.

Or how I and basically everyone I know who still plays miniatures games started when we were all ~12 or 13. Hell, I'm pretty sure I started by buying some WarZone books, paints and minis with money I got from my 11th birthday. Those WarZone paints were actually pretty OK for cheap acrylics, very similar to the old I-Kore paints.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's Tamiya Clear Red, anyone who does any amount of serious model painting should be able to recognize it instantly. Looks like he's dabbed a bit of brown artists ink into it for effect as well which is pretty common.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

haha

But no, she's got like a big piece of ornate marble column to use as a club. If you flip the image over it's easier to see: her club is a carved lady stone column. Which really highlights how bad the paint job up above is, because the painter just slapped brown all over it like it was just all wood.

Here's one of the example painted photos from Reaper's page for the mini:
vs.

The real issue with this figure is that she's posed to be looking down at an adventurer/hero and so outside of that context the pose in kinda odd. It's like they meant it to be a two figure piece with a dude in armor brandishing a sword at her and just forgot to sculpt it. Not that that would be totally out of the question considering that the huge as gently caress Kaladrax sculpt also had a companion figure that got lost in the shuffle when the figure got bighuged. It still technically appeared in bones 1, it's the elf girl/sorceress lady who's reaching out her hand, originally she was supposed to be resting said hand on Kaladrax's nose IIRC.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ubercrunchy posted:

This is a thing that exists and is real.

What's strange is that he actually covered up all the tits and rear end. I guess that would have just been TOO MUCH weird fetish poo poo, gotta have standards.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

rkajdi posted:

Wait, that isn't just a standard succubus with a preggo belly greenstuffed on? And worse, the original was naked? Why would anyone... :shepicide:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/succubus/latest/03341

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Those mean ole Chaos punks have filled up the Space Marine Jalopy's guns with wads of chewing gum again!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FrostyPox posted:

What's the unreleased model? Kruellagh the Vile (still my favorite 40K special character name :colbert:)

EDIT: Oh, wait, Kruellah the Vile did get a model, didn't she? Then what's the unreleased one?

It's one of a few test figures that got sculpted as proof of concepts for the DE range. There are a bunch of them on the collectors market because GW used to sell them at various places, occasionally give them away and sometimes have them available through promotions (see also: the admech figs).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Amphigory posted:

OK, I finally finished stripping the paint off this marine!

He spent a good while in nail varnish remover, which pretty much melted all the plastic, and got rid of most of the paint (middle photo)

I then put him in Dettol for another few weeks. Took him out today and gave him a good scrub (rightmost photo). There's still a tiny bit of blue on him - it just will not come off. I have no idea what 13 year old me painted him with to basically weld the blue paint onto him!

I now have a load more miniatures soaking in Dettol...

A while back I painted a mini that had been in this state of condition for a project that never really materialized. Me and a guy on LAF wanted to do a big thread where people stripped their awful "first mini I ever painted" caliber Marines and then painted them to a modern standard in the same color schemes the awful ones had but life got in the way.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

I finally found original content for this thread. Check out the gun on this model.

It's like... just a flat piece of plastic. Are you loving kidding me?

IDK I actually like guns that are real sized. That one is pretty thin and I get exaggerating scale for miniatures and why it's done, but I think truescale guns can work. The issue here is that the rest of the fig is pretty heroic scale but if I saw it next to maybe an unarmored human who was more truescale with the same gun it would probably look OK.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

mike12345 posted:

I don't know why, but I expected a walking vagina.

Reaper's got you covered
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/alien/latest/50039

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Herr Tog posted:

I want to give them props if they made the shield but jesus that star looks like cake decoration

While the paint is bad, terminator armor now looks like Iron man's underwater armor.

The hell happened to Mjolnir?

Surprisingly not enough claws on wulfereen

who the gently caress is this?

dedpul, wepon ex, the merk wif a mouf. Pineapple surprise. loving 90's pouches are on point tho. thin your mask paints kids. Also props for making that katana I think?

Everything good on those minis is just cut from a Heroclix figure.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The terminator on a palanquin is ultra rad and is the kind of dumb weird baroque poo poo 40k needs more of (as opposed to hover wolf chariots).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A suit of reliquary armor seems more like it'd be a Blood Angels thing TBH.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I own one Raging Heroes mini because I got it for free, the casting quality on it is ultra poo poo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

berzerkmonkey posted:

I backed the Jailbirds for Necromunda not-Escher, and the casts are perfect.

I have this one: http://www.ragingheroes.com/collections/si-fi/products/skaarlys and the quality was not great. Her jawline was super messed up and had to be reshaped and the metal itself was very inconsistent quality throughout, very rough for a white metal cast. I mean, it's all relative because the one DE Finecast mini I've painted (whoever the succubus hero is) was also ultra bad and needed extensive cleaning so I guess it's whatever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SiKboy posted:

Man, I just made myself a little sad there isnt a Redwall skirmish game.

Special action: purge 3d6 unclean mongrel cur from the board using the righteousness of your martial purity. Also cakes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

Where's all the minis games from comic book properties that are actually fun and just cool?

http://knightmodels-store.com/en_GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Miniatures cases often look like camera, gun or instrument cases is the real answer.