Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh, it's the Post Your First Mini thread!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The colossally irritating thing about it, as evidenced by those pictures, is the wasted bloody talent. I'd give quite a lot to be able to paint with that level of skill, and that cockwad is wasting it on that bullshit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sadly?

That's orky as gently caress.

Seriously, I'm genuinely unsure whether there's anything you CAN'T slap wheels, armour, guns and rivets on and make an orky as gently caress conversion out of.

Now watch someone prove me wrong VVVV

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

starkebn posted:

I like it

Yeah, technically it's not-awful, and it looks pretty tzeentchy or slaaneshy, but I have the horribly feeling it's actually a worshipper of that notorious chaos god Brone, making it pretty brony...

sorry

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

The... this whole thing. Her bowlegged stance, the "weak" pose, the goddamned thong. Nope, no misogynistic man-children in my hobby. At least the purple isn't too bad, maybe?

The sad thing, as with many similar models, is that the painting and the modelling are of high quality. The subject matter is just disturbingly lovely. It's like the notorious guardsmen-on-elder rape diorama. In fact, similar enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy...

It's also like Kingdom Death. it's such a loving shame when people with talent like that make such dreck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

My roommate has sunk $500+ into the Kingdom Death kickstarter :commissar:

They have made a few really sweet models hidden under the mountain of gross poo poo though. But I'd never give them money.

That's the really sad thing - most of their male humanoid models are reasonably nice and some of them (Flower Knight in particular, but a few others too) are actually really well-sculpted and interesting. But then they make poo poo like the Wet Nurse and it makes me cringe to even be tangentially associated with them by enjoying miniature modelling and painting. So close, but SO loving far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not a viking posted:

Well, if all they sell is creepy poo poo then they will keep making that. Vote with your dollars.

I am. By not buying any of their stuff.

It doesn't help.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vermintide posted:

This one? The Banelords/Banebeasts line is rather fond of lovingly sculpting manjunk on their monsters.

I mean this model is pretty awesome, really nicely sculpted...
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/xmI5frv.jpg :nws:
'Til you turn it around.

gently caress's sake, Mierce minis. Again, another company that does frankly amazing sculpting quality, but its female minis and stuff like the ratman make me ashamed ever to have bought any of their minis.

Which is sad, cos the ones I did buy (waaaay the hell back when they were a subsidiary of Maelstrom, with all that that implies) are really, really nice, both in theme and in sculpts.

They're not QUITE at the same level of blech as Kingdom Death, but close.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah. If I charged minimum wage for a single figure, even speed-painted, I'd be looking at about £25 to £30 per figure.

You can lower this dramatically by doing batch-work, but even then, minimum wage is not what you should be earning for highly skilled work like this.

To be honest, I don't think commission painting of figures is really a viable business. 40 bucks an hour isn't much when you take into account how much those hours cost in materials.

But all that being said, I'm usually willing to paint what my friends are playing (for D&D) and give the minis away to them for free or cost, because... well hell, I enjoy the painting and haven't got enough space to keep all the minis I have waiting to paint anyway.

I wouldn't try to make a business out of it though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Interesting video, but pretty loving ignorant in places - 'black doesn't get shaded and white doesn't get highlighted' so don't pay extra for shades and highlights on those colours.

gently caress off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You paint black and white not by painting with black or white paint, but by starting with a dark base coat (or light base coat, depending) and shading/highlighting as normal. Painting black/white by just... applying black or white paint... looks bad.

It's amazing the differences in tone you can get in a white mini when you start with a bone base coat versus a light blue versus a grey, and in a black mini when you start with a deep, saturated green, brown, red, or grey.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, it would. Painting with dark blue and shading it with black, also.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JcDent posted:

I'd say their biggest problem is a very "Go-Bots" feeling they give. Like they're a cheap Chinese knock-off that a parent buys their child because they don't have money for the real deal. Disappointing for all parties involved.

I think a good chunk of that feeling is the matt non-metallic paint scheme though. They'd look a lot better in brass or steel.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We're used to the idea that you can take a photo and print it on your home printer at good enough quality to put up on your wall. As a society, we just don't have significant understanding of the time, let alone the skill, that goes into handcrafting basically anything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The only time I've subcontracted is Kaladrax, because that poo poo is HUGE and I don't have an airbrush.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was going to say that most of them are probably out of state from wherever BTP is located (Utah I think?), and so probably can't afford to travel there to take them to court. But then I remember that these are mostly guys who spent hundreds if not thousands on their armies before spending a bunch more money to have them mauled by BTP, so maybe they just don't want to go to Utah. :v:

Given that the post quoted mentioned import fees, I assume the guy's in a different country. Really probably not worth the effort if so.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I would be genuinely unsurprised if they did a better job on single minis.

For just that reason.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's... not actually an awful conversion, and yeah, the toilet paper or cotton wool or whatever looks OK. The painting kinda sucks, but I wouldn't necessarily put it in here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Exinos posted:

This is so amazingly terrible that I can't stop looking. Like, the model is put together well and it's not just some insanely out of proportioned head slapped on but rather about the right size and sculpted into the body well, the painting is good, and the basing is great. It's got a legitimate amount of skill put into it but it's talent that is completely wasted on the awful.

It's like the Nazi Guard, only more autistic. And worse as you also know there is a 100% chance the owner masturbates to it.

About 50% of this thread is stuff that would be amazing inspiration in terms of the skill and talent that went into making it, but is hideous in terms of the content. The best case in point is that infamous imperial guard raping eldar diorama. The painting and modelling on it is amazing. The content is :suicide101:

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 24, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

He looks like a Tintin character :3:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Green Intern posted:

That poor Space Marine is stuck. :ohdear:

Eh, I'm sure he's not actually wearing the rest of the armour and can just climb out of the inside.The hatch is purely decorative, the power armour is the actual viewport.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Diarrhea armour man with the... nope, really don't want to go there!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Moola posted:

wheeled rhino could look pretty sweet though

Kinda like the tumbler from batman

This is like... the Imperiumest thing, though. gently caress cars with engines, or jetbikes, or teleporting, I will have a CARRIAGE crewed by CYBORGS drawn by MECHANICAL HORSES*.

It's just a shame the execution is so poor.

*covered with skulls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. It's actually pretty interesting - and really doesn't wind up going quite the way you think, in a lot of places - the blood angels go Nurgle, for instance, when you really would have expected Khorne...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

This just popped up on my Facebook feed:

:pwn:

I'd give good odds that the guy doing these watches 'If the Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device' - these look just like the weird custodes.

They're pretty great.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

None of those are particularly bad?

Especially not slugginator and tallnought, they're both neat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lol no.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

People don't dump their genitals on the table when playing Slaaneshi armies?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hooman posted:

PSA:
People, don't dump your genitals on the table when playing Slaaneshi armies.

But how will I play my boobsnake army now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think you mean :shepspends: or possibly :pwn:.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of money to ruin that way, especially when he's not actually painted the one defining feature of the character the right goddamn colour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Meatus Manus.

Fakedit: Manus con Carne.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Krampus Grewcock posted:

So which one of you put this in the deep dream?

Truly, there are no wolves on Fenris.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kavak posted:

It looks like it's supposed to be a mortar, but they made it too large to be man-portable and too small to be actual self-propelled artillery. Since when did the Space Marines run their designs through the Pentagon?

It is indeed supposed to be a mortar. A quad-barrelled mortar.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

do dwarves or skaven make a better base for converted scrunts?

Orks would appear to be the base for the original scrunts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hooman posted:

Zoidnought.

I have no idea why I did this.

WOOOOP wooop woop woop

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey I gave it two power claws what more do you want.

Oh god

What happened

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I lol'd so hard.

Now someone build it IRL e: ideally using real lobster claws obv.

e:

I debated doing something with the eyes but using the original dreadnought viewpoint and just chopping it up felt better.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I do not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Vampire Counts? Bretonnia? Lizardmen? Tomb Kings?

Brettonians need no topknots they have loving animal heads on their helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Is this a good or bad warbarbie?

I'd say it could stand another level of highlight on the beard and the face, and yeah the lower lip needs to be painted flesh colour, but otherwise it's an excellent paint job generally, very clean, crisp details, good colour choices. Great work.