Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Look at this beauty:

Sky's the limit!

One thing I learned for Warhammer Proxies FB group is that people will proxy the most unlikely horrible poo poo. Sure, there was one guy with awesome MK. V coversion for a Land Raider, but the others...
And abou deck turrets: if you manage to get your hands on a T-28, shorten it by 30% or more, and maybe replace the main turret with Russ turret, you're good to go. T-28 already looks retarded enough to be 40K.

I found that guy's conversions and followed his rough guide.

His still looks better. Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

As an aside, can you link to the guide? I want to look it over, maybe something to try my hand at if I ever decide to put together another GW model.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?210465-Arnan-317th-quot-Death-s-Own-quot-iPaint-s-IG-Log/page9

Starts on there and goes on to the next page of the thread.

To the kind comments, thanks. I do think it's a point of unspiration though when I see someone doing a scratchbuild or similar that displays so much precision, and loving talent, and then the guy goes and does it all over the place so it's obviously not taking him that long, etc. It's depressing - why/how are some people so loving great at this? I'm talking dudes who scratchbuild (good) titans, or some custom made full terrain boards. It's amazing what you can see these days and I think it sort of warps our perception of everyday 'good' modelling.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

spacegoat posted:

So I was trying to talk myself out of trialing the MWG Vault when I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDrfCI1edcE

Mission accomplished. I challenge you all to make it a minute in.

Not even close. Life is too short.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Puppetswar

e: gently caress

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ilor posted:

Heresy! Floor dice are anathema, and shall not be counted! It is known!

It is known.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Is this Wargame Exclusive, or someone else?

I think puppetswar? Pretty necky in any case!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Moola posted:

"YAAAAASSS!"

The freehand on the banner is so drat good . . . it always mystifies me how some hobbyists can be so gifted and also so blind to the problems with their ideas.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty sure that banner was printed out, the ruins on the armor are way more squiggly looking

Looking, you're probably right, but given the size of the picture I think the freehand on the armour still qualifies as a fairly advanced touch, pretty well executed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Balkenkreutz is a symbol, like the similar Iron Cross, that was just a German military thing and in a vacuum doesn't explicitly constitute a hate symbol. I'd keep an eye on that guy of he were in my LGS though.

It's not quite an outright swastika, you're right. As pointed out, the German military still uses very similar insignia. If the dude is a German, it's no more than out of place, just like USA striped marines or having British regimental insignia. But given the historical interaction with the German military by English-speaking nations, I would definitely raise an eyebrow at someone in the uk or USA who picked that particular bit of out-of-place history to paint on their spacemen!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Excellent username/post combination.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DiHK posted:

That's not some kind of cuck fantasy involving dog-men instead of dark skinned men. Clearly.

:stare: i’m the last person to defend infinity’s crappy anime influenced weirdness, bu that’s quite an interpretation. It may say more about you than the models pictured!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I, too, experienced the pain of having the offensive line from my High School's football team beat me with my AD&D books while singing The Internationale in close harmony. :(

I loving laughed. Also envisioned them all with Jeremy Corbyn's face, for some reason.

Edit: what is this Attack Helicopter business?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks for the explanations. I guess shitheads really love memes?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Okay, that's it, pistols at dawn

The British term for this is ‘handbags at dawn’.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm the malformed feet

Rob Liefeld sculpts miniatures?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Did not see that at all until it was mentioned. Not too bad imo, a reference which only the owner would know when the model was being played on the tabletop. Wouldn’t say it’s as bad as people who make whole armies of Star Wars stormtrooper space marines, etc.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I feel like storm troopers or G.I. Joe dudes would be alright. Whenever I see anything Sonic, I immediately associate it with terrible deviant art fetish cartoons and some kind of depraved role-playing.

Schadenboner posted:

I've actually always wanted to do up some Solar Aux in a Stormtrooper-like color scheme (probably more ivory than straight white though?). I think the visual reference would be clear enough while still working with the model and it would provide sort of a grimdark take on the noblebright Star Wars setting.

:shrug:

Oh, I'm completely on board with using colours from other sources. I just mean weird conversions where things end up half one and half the other - I've seen marines with SW helmets, weird modifications to the shape of the legs, and red-painted tubes as lightsabers in place of power swords. Never works imo. (I'd get pics, but I'm at work)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

The UltraBerserker is kinda dope actually, just an unusual paintscheme on that mini.

I'm pretty sure I saw that other thing in a nightmare after I ate some bad Indian food, and it had my dad's voice.

Your father has been tainted by the insidious xenos threat. You know what you have to do.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Nah, those look to be about 30 plastic Imperial Knight kits with various conversions plus maybe 4 FW knights and some of the Leviathan third-party models. I don't see any FW titans. Probably £3000, maybe £3500 tops (I say that as if it's not a stupid amount of money for a load of toys)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DicktheCat posted:

Though I am revealing my lack of Warhams knowledge here (proud or ashamed, don't know which) I have to know: is that poo poo fieldable? Like are there stats for that monster back there? Sorry if this is something I should know; I'm a heathen that plays Warmahordes instead because I like the mechanics better.

Rules might have been published at some point - the largest model FW sells, which is a 'Warlord Battle Titan', stand 2 foot or so tall, costs over £2k, and is probably only half the size of that scratch-build. It does have rules and is a large army in itself.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

theres enough obvious poo poo out there, like this rear end in a top hat who probably masturbates to mein kampf in his bedroom hiding behind the lie of just liking propaganda poster aesthetic and hes totally not a nazi he swears guys! to get riled up over 1 pic of dwarfs with hoods

I am so gutted to see that. I've seen loads of pictures of that dude's commission work, he's a spectacular painter and modeller. What a shame.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Why the gently caress did I click that link!?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
There are some weird people out there.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ilor posted:

The Molotok is a sniper rifle in Metal Gear Solid and, sure enough, it is in Infinity too.

While I love Infinity and agree that its naming conventions based on historical references from across the globe are at least as good as nounverb conventional fantasy names, a Molotok in the game is actually a light machine gun (almost identical to the Spitfire).

I admit the game could condense and rationalise its armoury and collection of skills. I hold out hope they will do so. While some of their current-edition design choices are pushing the balance envelope, and they haven't handled the PR aspect of recent changes very well, I still have a lot of faith in Corvus Belli as a design studio.

The second edition of Infinity (we're on 3 now) had reached a point where some rules/loopholes were known and abused. When the new edition released they elegantly solved a lot of those issues and produced an unusually polished game. While people can quibble with how easy the rules are to process at a glance, once you understand the core concepts, you can look through the rulebooks and find a concrete answer, with examples, for almost anything. It's an excellent example of a game which embraces complexity.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Xarbala posted:

A nurgle dreadrodeo?

I always suspect with that kind of thing that someone has bought or made a really rough resculpt, and this is just a way of disguising it. Mostly because I can't imagine anyone buying a FW model for what, £75 these days? Then mangling or concealing it completely.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've seen really similar models on Ebay to the point it must be the same artist for 500-600ish dollars unpainted.

Wow, healthy profits!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't really care about gun barrels because I hate using my hand drill unless I have to and at a glance a dot of black surrounded by the color of the barrel is at least functional. But man do I loving hate mold lines. I buy a lot of models used and no one ever bothers to clean these. I have a friend who is a legit pro painter and the models he sends to people still have obvious mold lines on them. His clients don't seem to be discerning enough to notice. They just want a painted army for the table I guess.

I am a fairly thorough mold-line remover and while I'd never skip it, I am consistently amazed just how much time it takes up. Sure, for a single infantry model or a squad, it's not too bad. But especially when plastic kits are increasingly complex and come in a huge number of parts (I normally complete scraping mold lines before assembly) it just feels like forever.

Scraping all the terrain in a Dark Uprising box is just soul-destroying. I've started a Gang Stronghold box now and I feel like I've barely got the strength to carry on.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mouse Business posted:

http://impetuousorders.blogspot.com/2012/04/sexism-in-miniature-worst-of-infinity.html?m=1

This is pretty dated now, but they sure as gently caress used to be overly sexualized. They may have improved since then, I don't really keep track since I don't care for Infinity's aesthetics.

So I am a keen Infinity player. As a game it absolutely rocks and I actually love a lot of their more serious hard-sci-fi designs. Most of the models I like are male and this is the reason. Human genders are dimorphic in Corvus Belli's world view. You get male power armoured super-soldiers who are awesome, barrel chested power fantasies, and then the exact same unit female version is a wasp-waisted waif in high heels. It seriously pisses me off.

Unfortunately the creepy anime side seems inextricably linked to the designers' idea of the game. While they have lessened the overtly absurd miniatures over the years, the gender difference and built-in 'combat heels' on all female armour up to and including giant robot suits seem like they're here to stay.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ugleb posted:

This is totally fair. There is a lot of nice stuff in the range, so it's a shame they pander to the anime stereotype when it comes to any female sculpt.

General question, is there any interest in Infinity from actual women? Malifaux seems to attract more female players/painters than most minis games do. While there are certainly plenty of cleavages and lithe legs in Malifaux, Wyrd seem to do a much better job of empowering their typically beautiful female protagonists.

Interesting question. I have to say that when I've gone to a wargaming club or similar to play Infinity, I can remember seeing only one woman player over years (although I don't get to go to clubs often due to my work pattern), and that's the same woman who is the only female player I've ever seen at a tournament. Although she is now a strong player in her own right, she was to be fair brought into playing Infinity by her boyfriend, who's one of the best and keenest players I know. So not exactly a telling sample size.

Is this unique to Infinity? A lot more people play Warhammer and other GW games in the UK, and even around those games I've rarely run into any women players. Maybe I'm unlucky in my gaming scenes, but it still seems like an overwhelmingly male hobby to me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

It doesn't have a base, it'll get lost.

Lol!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Desfore posted:

Ok, I know she was kicked off the show for being trans-phobic/homophobic, but this American flag, Eagle flying, unbridled patriotism is going beyond the normal "Own the libs" poo poo into actual fetishism. This doesn't even seem to be for SWLegion game pieces, it's just weirdo fan idols of her.

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the actress in question is even known for saying anything particularly patriotic/nationalistic? It's just a weird alignment in the modern culture wars. Like if you've got an issue with trans people, you are assumed to feel very strongly about loving America, and if you're chill and not really any kind of -phobe, it's assumed that overt patriotism makes you uncomfortable?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Oh, I get all that and I'm sure she is fully on board with all sorts of nonsense. But it's still odd that the american flag and all these eagles and such are taken as symbols of that. I mean, they're also technically the symbols of all the other people in the country who don't share those views.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Interestingly, the UK is on Amnesty International's list of countries which allow child soldiers, because you can sign up for the forces at 16 (although you can't be sent to a warzone until you're 18).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Oh Ian is one of the two people redoing the rules for third edition epic and making it coherent. I am stealing so many of his necron designs for my own army.

If this is the guy I'm thinking of, he is (or was a few years ago) the guiding oracle for Infinity rules. I think he kept the original wiki before the manufacturer took it over officially. At any UK tournament, if there was some bit of minutia under dispute, you could just look up and go 'there's Ian, ask him'.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So I do some commission painting, and a client of mine just asked me to sculpt a penis for his Eldar Avatar. He is willing to pay extra. I need the money so I guess I'll have to do it, and then deny that I had to do anything with that mini.

I'd like to tell myself it's artistically supportable in the same way that classical nude statues aren't obliged to be modelled like Ken dolls. (I know, I know, they often had real clothes hung on them) But I fear that's not the dynamic here. How specific was he about the appearance he wanted? Flaccid or erect? I have a morbid need for details here.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I have to say the erotic is not the word that comes to mind looking at those blobby, barely human playdoh models.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I will not stand for this slander of Michael Perry.

Lol. That is genuinely such an impressive accomplishment. Legend.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Look at some 3D printed stuff and watch your recommendations suddenly get possessed by Slaanesh.

Doesn't matter if you were shopping for plasma cannons for your warlord titan, next time you login its T&A all the way down.

Hmm, I was just about to look for ww2 objectives for flames of war. Let's hope I just get t&a recommendations and not bloody swastikas as well!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Davedave24 posted:

I also thought this, even after noticing the minis on it seemed too big to be standard scale. The leg obscuring the corner makes it all line up too well in perspective

I also thought it was a man size sculpture standing on a hardwood floor! I feel doubly stupid because I even clocked that the 28mm based models looked too big for that to be true and then thought 'ah well, guess they're big chunky models'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Phy posted:

Not to poo poo all over the parade but the dude who did the original comic was helldumped for being a pedophile https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2123

It's a goddamn shame that it's one of the most succinct expressions of that idea

I'm a little lost, what is the actual idea behind it? A man looks out at what's happening in the world and then goes back to the internet? Does it reference something specific?