Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why are the blue horrors green

Tzeentch, Tzeentch never always changes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Rob Liefeld of titans.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Esser-Z posted:

No way. It has feet.

And too few leg pouches. It does have a bungee cord for a spine though.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I think they were from GW's earlier spaceship game pre-BFG. It was old when I got into GW so was probably released around 1990.

Edit - eh, you're saying these aren't originals. Damned similar though!

Space Fleet. Released in 1991. To roll to hit you had to throw your dice into the box lid which had a square grid printed on the inside. Any dice that landed in the middle square were a hit. Any that landed in the middle and rolled a 6 were criticals.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

The drawings must have taken ages to do, it's amazing to think that this was somehow cheaper than printing photographs of their models... although there are photos of some models, beginning on page 41.

Look, just... if you don't care about any of the rest of the stuff I'm linking, just download that PDF and take a browse. It's amazing.

A lot of the drawings of minis were simply the concept sketches that the sculptors would do as references before they started actually sculpting. Another reason is that cheap printing techniques in the 1980s required very high contrast for images and line drawing were guaranteed to have that, while photographs (especially analogue ones on film) were not. Finally, there were a lot of artists kicking around GW who could knock out those kind of illustrations in very short order and who were producing those sketches for various roleplay supplements anyhow.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
One of the good things that GW did for the miniatures gaming hobby as a whole was to raise the bar in what professionally painted miniatures looked like at a time when poo poo like that was all you ever saw - even in manufacturer's catalogues or rulebooks. Outside of serious diorama hobbyists who were all about rivet counting historical stuff, no-one was really trying to push forward painting as a craft in the mainstream until then. I remember having one of the editions of Battlesystem (the AD&D mass combat rules), and in the back was a section about miniatures and painting. The examples were loving horrible. They had closeups of Elf faces to show you 'the incredible detail' but it looked as though someone had thrown a couple of fried eggs at someone with severe burns.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Age of Oglaf-mar

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Never not be always posting.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is this offer still viable? Will you be going back?

I live there so this offer is always available for the foreseeable future. Here's a bunch of photos of stuff I picked up for guys in the UKMT just before Xmas. The markets sell all kinds of stuff and the stock constantly changes but most uniform things - jackets, hats, flying helmets, etc are always available as are insignia, propaganda badges and other trinkets, instruments from tanks and jet-fighters, various kinds of optics including cameras, binoculars and so forth. Costs vary from a few cents for pin badges, a coupel of dollars for insignia (cap badges and so on), the same for posters, hats run to about 10-20 bucks; jackets, clocks from MiGs and working mechanical things are around $40+. Postage runs about $15 a kilo registered post to Europe/US.

Drop me an email at iainz0r at the mail service operated by Google with a budget and some idea of what you are looking for. I can do grab-bags of random stuff if you like too.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Gorkamorka Orks were particularly bad because the short legs and overly wide shoulders combined with big weapons made them very top heavy - particularly as a lot of figures were still metal casts.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the camera, I checked out the movement of the controls and everything works. I didn't put any film through it though and I'd not be surprised if the seals were poo poo (they were often poo poo even when brand-new) so that there may be light leaks all over the place. If you plan on using it as a camera rather than as an ornament or prop. there's an enthusiast site that might be useful to you. You can also head down to The Dorkroom and get laughed at be congratulated on your wise purchase.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

speaking of abominations, have this carefully curated image:

i count 11 land raiders,6 predator tanks and at least 12 razorbacks, plus whatever else has snuck its way into that thing.

Hi, I'm the huge, slow, high value bomb target with no anti-aircraft defences.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I have a friend who is reasonably famous in the ball-jointed doll scene. Via her Fb page I've seen just how many hosed up people there are in that hobby. It starts at Otherkin and just gets weirder and less benign the deeper you go. The Russian ones are (inevitably) the worst. A lot of white-supremacist, asatru-with-human-sacrifice, extreme-BDSM, loving ... doll collectors.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Honestly? That's as good a paintjob as you're really going to see on them. They're just horribly sculpted, I've painted a ton of them.

That's just the models, I think Juan Diaz just did that because asymmetry is a lot more interesting visually and Slaanesh is all about asymmetry. It's a running theme with the models. I have no idea what's up with the naked little girl at the front though.

That's a very lovely paintjob. The Studio armies were much, much better than that, I'm guessing it's some staffer army photo.

The naked little girl in the front of the Daemonette unit was one of the old Chaos Familiars.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's armour-piercing!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting flashbacks of trying to stick together those loving Cephalyx Overlords and eGaspy from Warmachine. gently caress you PP for cutting up your greens so that you have long, thin, fragile components with the tiniest possible contact area.

I am triggered by this.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

But I'm not a fan of the boobies, especially when they would be one of the first things to go when removing useless organic material that would have no bearing on a pure machine state. I like boobies, but those boobies don't make sense.

Boobies.
The jugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I assumed it was something like the Sláine warp spasm or something.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Vicariously, via the internet.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Wow, this hot water reposing is getting extreme

Before the hot-water treatment, the pose was somewhat... non-static.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's a Guristas Rhino.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Personally I could care less, provided it's not a swastika themed hitler army and the dude roleplayed the entire time

*Couldn't* care less. Otherwise you are saying that you do care quite a bit.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

lokipunk posted:

Im the one on the bottom right making some sort of ducklipped smug face.

I'm the one in the top left about to blow the head off the one next to me.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Everything about that thor model cracks me up. Every time I look I find some new ridiculous detail to focus on.

It looks like a Liefeld character as imagined by someone who understands anatomy and perspective as badly as Liefeld himself does but in completely different ways.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Personally I liked the Tau with the boombox

I really liked the Lord of Change until I saw the breasts sculpted on to it. The Nurgle Predator is rad as poo poo because I'm pretty sure that's an Epic scale model.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Couldn't make up my mind if this was bad or not, so posting it here to be safe. A local Warham's custom Knight.

I'm the gun that can only shoot at things that are flying (and is a blast weapon so can't shoot at flying things anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

The Fighting Tigers of Veda are always an inspiration.

The inspiration is to actually shade your loving space barbies!

That guy sent in his homebrew codex to the Studio while I worked there. At the time, one of my jobs was to answer all the fan mail (which was all snailmail back then as we didn't even have an internal email system let alone any connection to the web) so I was the guy who had to tell him that no, we weren't going to make his Indian-themed Lady Marines into an official chapter. At one point he had my rejection letter on his website.