Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's the grenade holding arm from the old Catachan sprue. These pics are a great example of why you should matte varnish your minis, they would be totally acceptable TTQ in a slightly old school paint job but the gloss varnish is loving them up real bad.

Like a lot of stuff on this thread, it's mostly people snarking on almost OK paint jobs. The gloss guard stuff could be fixed in 10 minutes and under $10 for the whole army, so to me it's a lot less worthy of putting in the same breath as some basement trash crafting and painting a vagina on yet another figure or the rear end in a top hat who made the eldar rape diorama. We need more criticism of the latter and less of the former.

FWIW, I'm more than willing to post pics of my stuff in the "put up or shut up" move. I'd expect it'll get cries of dipped or thin ur paints, but IMO it ends up looking fairly decent on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's the stuff I have. Below TT quality anymore for the way this thread has gone:

EDIT: How is that rat ogre not at least above average? Have we reached the point where we 'internet male' figures as well as women?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On top of the breasts exposed for our pleasure and the BDSM fetish poo poo, why did this guy put all his diorama figure on obvious bases? I mean, you're not going to play a game with them, so why not glue them directly to the scenery instead of those awful bases?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kwyndig posted:

Who says he's not?

But they aren't based for the game they were designed for. Unless he's going to them for some mashup between 40K and Kingdom De-OH GOD I STARED INTO THE ABYSS FOR TOO LONG!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BULBASAUR posted:

hello
boiiiiiiiiz

Wrong thread. That's a literal child doing his first army if the card behind it is to be believed. Honestly, it doesn't look all that bad and is an excellent first attempt.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Again, wrong thread. If people want to make their guard into bad guys I'd much prefer Cobra to Hydra or Nazis.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reynold posted:

"Better painted than the dregs of eBay" isn't saying much. The guy's telling people on facebook that he's charging so much for the quality of the paint job, and he doesn't understand why anyone would buy these and repaint them. And yes, prolly a bit of a grudge. It's also surprising to me, who has only ever really gamed with his bros and doesn't go to stores and events for 40k, that someone in the local scene is straight-faced telling people he plays this game with that these models are pro-tier works of art and worth a premium.

Miniatures age like milk, unless they are painted *spectacularly*. This guy's stuff is okay but not great, so he should be expecting between 25-50% of retail. I don't think his stuff is awful, and there's a market for average painted stuff. But it's not at retail prices.

I have stuff that I think I can paint and maybe turn around at a profit. But that's stuff that I got at 20-30%, which is the low end of stuff that isn't critically hosed, and the only reason I'd be selling it is if I tried and didn't like the faction.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Z the IVth posted:

I can quite reliably manage selling at 200% retail but even then it's still way, way below minimum wage - at most the profit will be something like £3 per hour, at worst its 50p. Selling painted stuff is no way to make a living and I pretty much only do it because I enjoy the process and don't have enough space to store the results.

If you're getting 200% of MSRP, you're painting at a level I and most people here wouldn't expect to. Anything less than phenomenal is not worthy of over MSRP as it currently stands. And you are entirely on the mark that even awesome paint jobs effectively pay their creators slave wages. I think part of it is that people don't think about creative stuff in terms like that, and partially because there's a sticker shock to paying double the standard rate for figures, at a time when new stuff is pricing people out of the hobby. It's more a way to break even at least when you're getting out of an army, and it's doubly true if you were smart enough to get stuff well under retail.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moola posted:

Show me on the doll where Patton Oswald touched you

For real. I can get not liking his comedy (I don't either) but the implication that he was involved with his first wife's death is pretty gross. That's what you're meaning when you're talking about fentanyl w/r/t him.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moola posted:

what the gently caress

I thought fentanyl reference was to drug addiction or something

wtf man

His first wife died from it, but not the usual overdose issue. It was some weird interaction between it and Xanax and Aderall that caused issues in her arteries that lead to her death. A needle full of fentanyl has a slightly different meaning in that context, and I'm kind of struggling to figure out what it is besides "he killed his wife".

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hustlin Floh posted:

It's because he killed his wife.

Based on... ? I'm finding zero google results to support anything about this, so it's about at timecube levels of believable.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Len posted:

"He remarried already so clearly he killed his wife."

That makes sense.

Never stop being terrible goons.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PantsOptional posted:

“Black Trumplar Space Force”

Damnit, now I want to make a Donald Trump conversion based on Dominar Rasheth from hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Booley posted:

Or you could not glorify that fucker. There's no reason to make a conversion of him at all.

That's like saying Ghazskull glorified Thatcher. Rasheth is a fat useless gently caress on a dais being carried around. It'd be something closer to those balloons that people use at protests.

Trump in a mobility scooter seems actually pretty funny to me. But I rather like mocking him on top of hating the man.