Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

At first I was afraid,
I was mortified,
thinking goons could like a comic got me mystified.
But then I spent an evening with
this comic's archive, not to long,
and I was wrong.
This comic's storyline was strong!
Ally came back,
her sis erased,
Pasqualo sitting there with that dumb grin upon his loving face,
Then they met Trisssh, she's got snake tits,
And Mr. Jones, the wood shop teach.
They went and turned the school into a goddamned fortress beyond reach.

And then they went, walked out the door,
and then found Katie,
who'd been kept inside a hole.
Pas got the hots for some robotic chick he'd never seen,
found out it was his mother,
killed his boner on the scene.

Oh yes, It Hurts!!
It's loving good,
in a way that some webcomic really never should.
Aurora came and showed back up,
that familys daughter's crazy pissed, It Hurts!!'s good.
It Hurts!! is good! Hey, hey!

This is the only webcomic that deserves both a thread and an I Will Survive parody. :colbert:

Kermit, I wanna argue you on one point though I feel like the title of the comic comes from how Aurora felt watching Pasqualo see the apocalypse happen. She tells Trisssh that she saw the look on his face and instead of thinking "Go comfort him" thought "It hurts" and ran away. And then came back and is keeping his heart for safekeeping. Oh young love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, a quick recap for lazy fucks who want to avoid webcomic art. Shouldn't be too off for the first verse and chorus but 10 minutes of work will mean probably a cockup or two.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Going by the prequel and the level of :airquote:coincidental:airquote: foreshadowing, it seems like Gob has a pretty good idea of the story he wants to tell, which is more than can be said for most webcomics.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

Don't wanna meet that dad

Everybody wanna meet that dad..

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

It really should get praise for finally having a positive depiction of Serpentine-Americans. Also, best Zombie King. Both of them.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Going along with what Kermit said, Trisssh sees Pasqualo as a god because he created this mess. She holds Aurora up as well because she helped Pasqualo do it. If Pas is the Jesus of this story, Aurora is certainly the Mary figure in Trisssh's mind, ignoring the fact that Aurora is probably outright God or another heavenly being. I don't really see outright devotion to Aurora on Trisssh's part but there is definitely reverence and possibly protectionism due to the sacred symbolism of the dry erase board's iconography.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Whatever abilities Aurora have pretty much been linked to the wants of other people. Almost like she's a genie in that she can do what other people want done but can't directly influence the world around her (without causing the apocalypse). All Pasqualo wanted was for her to sing, too bad the world couldn't handle it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I dunno about that, P-Q completely discarded his broken heart on the ground after the snake bitch showdown and Aurora just showed up to revive it on her own account. Typing this out I wonder if it's symbolism.

I think that the symbolism of it is huge but can we really say that she didn't show back up because Pasqualo wants to see her again? She obviously wants to be here and see Pas but I never said she couldn't have her own wants and needs. Pas means a lot to her and it feels like her coming back is an attempt to apologize for getting caught up in the moment and to be with the dude she loves. He is still tits out in love since he turned down Trisssh and has spoken about how he "still has a girlfriend." He obviously knows that he's gonna see her again, whether through blind faith in her or outright stupidity.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I think it's from Satan. When he grabbed Pasqualo, his hand seemed to revert. Then he shot him in the dilz, because what could go wrong? :allears:

Pasqualo's hair didn't change color until after Katie kissed him. :psyduck: That's also when his hand reverted back to it's usual color. It changed when Satan blocked his punch and stayed that way. The glowing lines, though, do sometimes appear like that in past comics.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I would love to see them come across some wastlanders( I think that's what the Mad Max cosplayers call themselves) who then freak out realizing that Pas and co aren't just in costume.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

RainbowCake posted:

This is the only good apocalypse comic that has ever existed and it was almost worth reading the GBS thread to discover it.

Almost.

Reading the GBS thread is basically an apocalypse scenario in and of itself.

I keep finding myself comparing this comic to Shaun of the Dead in that it's one of the few pieces of media that just decides to run with the crazy and doesn't seem to lose touch with it's heart. The world may be a shithole but how can you be that upset when your posse consists of: Your newly crowned zombie king best friend, her zombie dog, a snake that worships you as the herald of the new age, her crazy pet child, a black handyman with the vision to build you a suitable pad, and possible God herself. And none of it feels out of place in the ruins of a world where your other best friend straight out punched a skull out of a dude's head.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Poor Trisssh, those puppy dog eyes could melt anyone's heart.

Yay for Pasqualo getting his heart back.. The heartbeat causing a meltdown is priceless though. Oh Allison. :allears:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

BEEP BEEP!

Now I know what I'm getting drawn in the book when I got some spare scratch. Trisssh driving off a boss jump Dukes of Hazard style.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

It seems that it's clearly to get back at his wife for something. It seems like he could have easily made himself a cyborg if he wanted to but would rather have left a living reminder of his wife's failures around to keep her company forever.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

Let us never e-quibble again, you are a good poster. :3:

Here, check out my new tat have a stinky little bitch, in this artfully entitled fanart of the same name:

I suddenly feel like I need to buy a van to plaster that across.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hello sir, thank you for making an enjoyable comic that has brought much mirth into my daily life.

This should be empty quoted every page. Seriously, you've got a hell of a comic on your hands. Keep up the good work!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dude knows the gospel of horseradish mustard. He can do no wrong.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Wicker Man posted:

That boy ain't right.

:allears:

I didn't know I could want every day to be Halloween.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Pasqualo, don't! Going into your ex's hole never ends well! :ohdear:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, I don't think his is the only reason why he's hosed in the head. :sweatdrop:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Freudian posted:

Well gosh maybe she shouldn't have destroyed everything he knew then

Destroyed? Or made better?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Freudian posted:

There is no more anime ever.

Counterpoint: No more Justin Beiber.

Anime will always live in our kokoro's wish..

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm with Ally on this one. Some things need to be ended by your own hands.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

That was loving magical. Merry Christmas indeed.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I love how he doesn't distinguish between his real mother and Ally.

Look at you saying she's not.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

tlarn posted:

We've started the webcomic fan following cycle, and by Gob it'll be seen through

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Katie's last name is Boreanaz?

gently caress, no wonder she knows so much about apocalypses. Her dad was Angel. I don't care, let me have this.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Asgerd posted:

I thought that was Aurora. Aurora Boreanaz, get it?

Bah! Given the way the last name was written, I didn't realize they were out of order.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Trisssh is on point though. Ain't nothing wrong with her.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Actually, hey, there's a question for Gob! What's up with that kid's name, anyways? A quick google on the etymology of it brings up "pasquale" as the closest match, otherwise it's pure fiction.

Ugh, gently caress, I'm gonna be that guy.

So, I'm gonna go with the assumption that Pasqualo's family is either Italian or has a hard on for Italian nomenclature. Why, you ask? -ini is a somewhat common suffix giving to last names in Italy, specifically families from the Piedmont region. I'll get to that a little later, though.

Pasquale is a perfectly acceptable Italian name. But for the sake of us dirty Americans, a lot of times in fiction characters of Italian decent are given names that end with "o" as that is one of, if not the most, common ending for a male name. Seriously, try to think of an Italian dude's name at random and see how many you can think of that don't end in "o" and that aren't Luigi. Running with this, Pasquale can easily become Pasqualo. But since I'm gonna be that guy, for those too lazy to use wikipedia, Pasquale comes from the noun Pasque and is used to mean "Born on Easter." A pretty fitting name for this dude who causes an apocalypse.

His last name, though, is a bit simpler but also has a loose biblical connection. Triangolo is Italian for triangle and, as is usually done with people moving about, going from Triangolo to Trangolini to Trianglini would be a rather simple road for a name to take over countless decades and having to deal with naturalization during immigration proceedings. Like most surnames, it would denote something about that family; in this case the most appropriate translation would be "of the little triangle."

Basically it's all a lot of :words: to say that his name has about as much meaning as the christian symbolism in Evangelion does.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Welp, I'll have to have nerd points deducted for being a language nerd and not a math nerd then. :eng99:

Alternatively, I read this for the bitchin van art and not the math jokes.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Is the fact that his other hand a bowl of nachos just not that big of a deal that everyone is focused on the arm cannon? :catstare:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Pfft. What do you know?

He knows what you and Batman do in your dreams.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe the Hellbeast lived a righteous and noble life for a hellbeast and went to heaven. gently caress if I know, but that'd be cool.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I get it's not all obvious torture and the like but it's still Hell. The fact that this is literally the exact psychologucal buttons to push makes that slow realization that it won't get better by itself much more traumatizing.

Tl;dr: This is the kind of hell I picture existing, not the fire and brimstone carnivals. What is wrong with me...

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Have you ever seen how the average player acts? It's out of necessity, man.

Yeah, I mean who's gonna forget the '86 Hand(job) of God incident..

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Other than the obvious exception, it seems all these dead angels were women. Also seems that corpses persist in Heaven instead of getting erased like those in Hell.

Of course... can't touch your donger if you ain't got one.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I hope, should I ever have a child, I can one day feel the pride Pasq's dad is showing at the end there. :unsmith:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

That is certainly a face. :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Man, Pasq's new form

It reminds me a lot of Outlaw Star and I'm 1000% glad about it even if that was unintentional.

• Locked thread