Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Since we've got a new thread I'll repost what I added to the previous thread about John Rocker.

For the non-sports fans, a brief sampler:

John Rocker posted:

"So many dumb asses don't know how to drive in this town," he says, Billy Joel's New York State of Mind humming softly from the radio. "They turn from the wrong lane. They go 20 miles per hour. It makes me want -- Look! Look at this idiot! I guarantee you she's a Japanese woman." A beige Toyota is jerking from lane to lane. The woman at the wheel is white. "How bad are Asian women at driving?"

John Rocker posted:

On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

John Rocker posted:

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

I could go on, but you get the point.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140528122001/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/1999/12/22/rocker/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
All these people look horrible. Gonna have a hard time picking a pony this year.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SalTheBard posted:

That's pro wrestler Ashley Massaro to you sir!

No idea if it's true but I love the idea that her horrible Survivor performance embarrassed the WWE so badly they canned her.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Maybe someday when Survivor is in it's death throes we can get an all WWE season with a bunch of D-list wrestlers. They could rehire people like Carlito, JTG, Drew McIntyre and others for the show.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Binary Logic posted:

Seems like it will be more like Big Brother On A Beach;

Big Brother has never had a cast this gimmick-heavy nor cast anyone as awful as John Rocker. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

Uhhhh, Will Hantz?

Willie Hantz isn't even close. We're talking about one of the biggest racist shitheads in all of professional sports. There isn't anybody they've ever had on Survivor or Big Brother on that level of awful.

Shy of Big Brother casting a card carrying Klansman or Mel Gibson next year it's unlikely either show will ever top casting John Rocker. Welcome to the bottom of the barrel folks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GaussianCopula posted:

The big difference between BB and Survivor is that CBS can edit Survivor to make John Rocker look like a decent guy, while the Big Brother live feeds prevent them from doing that. Additionally you have a lot more downtime on Big Brother to be a racist.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to a cleaned up "John Rocker is a good guy who got a bum rap" edit from the show. On Big Brother we see what the people are like whether CBS wants us to or not. I'm sure there have been plenty of vile people on Survivor (Clay from Thailand springs to mind) but all their worst moments get swept under the rug.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

If Colton's worst moments didn't get aired, I can't imagine what they could be.

"Well you see, there's a difference between black people and n---" /editorlungesatthePC

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Survivor has a long history of casting better human beings than Big Brother...

Definitely not editing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I love Fairplay on the show, off the show he's a total sleazebag.

Just listen to the episodes of RHAP where he's in a hotel room bed with a prostitute the whole time, or the one where he's so drunk he can barely speak and rambles on for almost three hours. It got so bad he's one of the only people that's been banned from RHAP, even if I think Rob reversed the ban a year or two later.

Edit: Almost missed an opportunity to link Danny Bonaduce knocking Fairplay's teeth out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHHuojbVw8Y

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GaussianCopula posted:

He was on twice this year and he seemed to have cleaned up his act a lot.

I'm actually really glad to hear it. He was a pretty screwed up guy for a long time. Last I heard his marriage fell apart and he was pretty much living inside a bottle. That three hours of drunken rambling was really sad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mills posted:

It's been too long since I've watched Thailand but I don't remember why everyone hates Brian. I just remember him being ultra manipulative and everyone fell for his good guy schtick. Do people just hate a villain winning?

"Former Survivor: Thailand winner Brian Heidik was arrested early Tuesday morning and charged with battery and cruelty to animals after he shot a puppy with a bow and arrow."

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/survivor-thailand-winner-brian-heidik-arrested-for-shooting-puppy-4210.php

Most people frown on shooting puppies.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
They're advertising John Rocker being on Survivor during the NFL games on Sunday. They threw in a quote about "I just hope I'm not the first boot" so maybe we'll get lucky and he'll be gone in the first episode.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I don't know hardly anything about the Twinnies but seeing the rage they inspire on the Internet is enough to pique my curiosity. I hope they go deep and we get lots of crazy cat ladies frothing at the mouth over it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Asiina posted:

They did that on Big Brother (sorta).

It was a pretty good twist.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Poque posted:

Twinnies final two. Jury made up of extra twinnies. All twinnies all the time.

I'm good with this. :getin:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

emoticon posted:

Jesus, it's a whole bunch of white models with six packs, like they casted the out of the Abercrombie and Fitch catalog or something.

The only cast John Rocker would agree to play with.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Not really feeling this cast so far.

I hoped we'd see the Twinnies stick around a while being hyperaggressive and driving everyone nuts. It's a drat shame to see one go home so early. I sorta like Jeremy and Val even if they're making tons of obvious mistakes. Everyone else felt pretty bland and uninteresting.

Hopefully in the next couple episodes we see a couple interesting personalities emerge.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo these people are stupid. They'd better be on their hands and knees praying for a tribe shuffle FAST or we're on a bullet train to Pagongsville.

It takes some spectacularly lovely people to make John freaking Rocker look like the somewhat reasonable one. As a pre-merge troublemaker he was surprisingly entertaining, never thought I'd say this but I'm actually somewhat ok with the casting.

Already bored with Josh getting the Earl from Fiji edit. They're working overtime to make him look smart.

Jeremy being the bull in a china shop is kinda fun, probably the best part of the season so far. I can't imagine a world in which he's a serious contender to win, but it's fun watching him overplay the hell out of things and give snarky confessionals.

edit:

xbilkis posted:

The real reason it was stupid to vote John out was that he was absolutely not a mastermind, he was a huge shield and he seemed genuinely dedicated to preserving the alliance he formed. But he's not trustworthy because he wanted to keep his girlfriend safe and didn't tell Josh he had an idol quickly enough!

Yeah he was a fantastic human shield, unlikely to be a serious post-merge threat and if he somehow manages to find his way to the late game a pretty decent goat if you only have to drag him 2-3 tribals. The entire freaking opposing tribe declared getting him out was their top priority, that's an enormous reason to keep him.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 9, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

HyperPuma posted:

This season has seemed kinda bad so far. As others have said they are trying to paint josh as a mastermind but his strategy has been pretty questionable so far.

Dumbest group of contestants since one world?

Way too early to write the season off, but I'm pretty unimpressed so far. Hopefully things improve from here.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bigass Moth posted:

Rocker was a bad player, but for the others to gang up on him for stuff he said 20 years ago was ridiculous. It seemed like the other team didn't even know what he said, only that he said something bad, and then they called him a bad sport for getting yelled at by them???

I'm sure he talked a little trash, but it was pretty lovely of them to dogpile him for his (admittedly atrocious) comments from years ago. I'd like to think it was clever strategy on the part of the opposing tribe to get these idiots to vote out their best athelete while losing challenges like crazy, but I doubt any of them are that smart.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TheChad posted:

There has never been a more perfect goat than John Rocker, what a waste of a potential asset.

There are two parts to being a good goat, being an unlikeable rear end in a top hat incapable of winning the money is only half of it. A good goat like a Phillip is also someone who will fall in line and behave predictably as you drag them through the game. John Rocker had the first part, but he's not really someone who will meekly fall in line and do what you want.

If John Rocker is still around with 3-4 tribal councils to go absolutely try to drag him the rest of the way, but trying to drag someone like him from start to finish is a good way to end up with a Shamar-like situation. He was more useful as a human shield for those first couple uncertain votes right after the merge, especially with the Blood vs Water twist likely making the post merge a little more fluid than usual. Trying to drag him from start to finish would probably be overextending.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

But yeah, unless I completely skipped a segment of the episode the idea that he assumes Rocker voted out Val because she's black is entirely fantasy and/or speculation.

There was a confessional where he went off on a rant about Rocker being a racist/sexist shithead and drew a connection to his wife getting voted out. He didn't outright say "Rocker voted out Val because she's black" but he did imply it was suspicious a tribe lead by John Rocker would vote out the strong black woman.

It was kind of hilarious that the entire other tribe was so convinced Rocker was in charge.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Rocker being bad at Survivor is a big part of why it was a questionable decision to cut him this early. The guy is a moron and will reliably piss people off more each week. He should be the easiest guy in the world to cut whenever you need to.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Piell posted:

He's not reliable enough to keep around as a goat.

Not long term. He's worth keeping as a human shield for that first post merge vote though, especially with the chaos the BvW twist is likely to cause.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

But then the issue becomes kind of like Terry in Panama where the majority alliance simply can't get rid of him because the fucker won't stop winning challenges.

I suspect he'd have been more like James from China where he was an asset on the team based pre-merge challenges but not much of a threat once we got to the individual challenges. Too many balance or dexterity challenges like that one duel he lost to his girlfriend post merge for him to be a problem.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Listening to the John Rocker exit interview on RHAP and holy poo poo.

Talking about the Twinnies "They say things that could make a dark man blush".

"It comes to a loving turning point after you've been getting motherfucked for a minute and a half already, now you're getting motherfucked personally. It comes to a point do I sit here and take it and look like a pussy, or do I fight back and look like an rear end in a top hat. So I chose rear end in a top hat."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is a wonderfully stupid cast.

Painfully stupid. Normally I love watching idiots implode but I'm really not feeling it this season. I don't know if I'm burning out on Survivor after all these years or this season is just that bad.

Drew was so awful it's a drat shame he took away a spot that could have been used to cast someone else. Same is true for half the cast, and the other half just hasn't got enough screen time for me to be sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

You take that back, Drew was amazing! Like, if he was a dumb model who never did anything but loaf around, then he'd be a waste of a spot. But he was a mind manipulator and master strategist.

I wanted to find him an entertaining dumbass but for that to work for me he needed to survive the week. I love overplaying idiots who blindly stumble forward surviving week after week despite doing all the wrong things. This was just a stupid flame out, seen it too many times.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Midrena posted:

Or the other team's realization that their "win" wasn't actually real. I seem to remember someone (I forget who specifically) was all, "I KNEW we were going to win today! I had a feeling we totally would!"

EDIT: I also wonder what Jeremy thought when he watched his wife do her "I got 2 idols!" play.

If only there was a social media platform where the contestants could follow along with the episode sharing their thoughts and opinions. I wouldn't even care if they were limited to say 140 characters per message to pick a number out of the air.

Unfortunately last season they totally spoiled that Spencer won and ruined it for everybody. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow this season is an enormous bag of suck. Hopefully it turns around at the merge, cause this cast blows. Bored with Josh getting the Earl-style edit, presumably as a misdirect. Reed might have some potential but he's been pretty overshadowed by The Josh Show so far. Everyone else is pretty forgettable.

Still too early to write the season off, but it's going to take some serious post-merge fireworks to drag this one back.

Edit: New pet peeve, idiots who think the rice has to last all the way to the end like there isn't going to be a merge at some point. Even Josh with his golden boy edit was guilty of this. Production isn't going to let someone starve and die, it's a TV show, and as someone posted watching a tribe get steamrolled while being emo about rice the whole time is lovely TV.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 23, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

This is possibly the most boring season I can remember (going at least as far back as tocantins), aside from maybe One World. I don't particularly care for anyone.

It's definitely in Nicaragua territory at the moment. I'm guessing it'll pick up a little at the merge and won't be quite as heinously awful as Nicaragua was, but it's looking pretty grim so far.

I wish they'd shown a little more restraint on the Josh edit. He's decently likeable and seems to have the best head for the game amongst this cast, but they're pushing him way too hard.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

No, Nicaragua was better, because Marty was an interesting character to root for early on, and Watching Fabio Forest Gump his way to the win was mildly entertaining.

This season I can't even put names to faces besides John Rocker.

I loved Marty, but Jane was so much worse than anybody on this season. Jimmy T was pretty awful too. It's still early but I think Josh has potential to be likeable on a Marty-level, and the rest aren't as awful they're just bland.

This season is dull as dishwater, not actively offensively bad like Nicaragua.

Edit: Both Drew and Rocker went waaaaaaay too quick for it to be any fun. They needed to get at least a few more weeks of being idiots for their downfall to be enjoyable. Instead it was Survivor Shannon first boot levels of "oh, they're dumb, and now they're gone".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Evil Trout posted:

In fact, there is a correlation between them eating the rice and winning challenges. What incentive does a tribe have to ration now? They can eat as much as they want, beat challenges, then swap away from the damage they've done.

Veteran Survivor players have been saying for years on RHAP that the move is to eat all the rice then wait for production to come up with an excuse to give you more. They're not going to let someone starve to death on the island, and one team getting steamrolled for weeks on end because they have no food is crappy TV.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

It's no "Tighty Whities" or "Freak".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
God this season is so lame. I knew it'd be a dull episode when I saw there were only 50 posts in the thread, but we're reaching Nicaragua/One World levels of disinterest here.

Josh and Reed are pretty entertaining and certainly have the most potential to be interesting post-merge. Missy and Baylor are sorta fun to hate I guess, although both are kind of weak as reality show villains go. The rest of the cast can be launched into the sun at the earliest convenience.

Not losing any sleep over Dale going home. He was decently likeable but ultimately pretty bland and forgettable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'd have preferred Redemption Island but only because I prefer a total dumpster fire of a season to the dull as dishwater season we're getting.

Baylor isn't much of a villain, but she's one of the only people on the season I can muster up any "give-a-gently caress" for. Also Muffin is kind of annoying so that helps them make a villainous pair. Josh and Reed are ok and have the potential to be awesome, but if they go early post-merge this season is in huge trouble.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The mishandling of the rice situation is one of the many things that suck about this season. Anyone who plays next year and doesn't eat huge scoops of rice every day is an idiot. There's no reason to ration your rice when the punishment for running out is so incredibly lame.

If someone offered you a rental of a bunch of luxury items for most of the pre-merge game, and a huge advantage in every immunity challenge you'd take it in a heartbeat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Probst giddy about what fantastic TV it was then throwing out a vague threat about if people do it again seems pretty weak to me. Even if they did implement a stiffer penalty like sending them to tribal it's still a good deal for all but one member of that tribe.

They won't let someone starve and die on the show, so there isn't any serious danger. Unless they avoid tribe shuffles entirely they can't really punish a tribe too harshly for actions taken place before half of them got there.

The idea of eating all the rice till you're full has been talked about on RHAP multiple times by a lot of really savvy veterans. You'd be foolish to not do it and dare production to stop you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Hello TVIV friends, I'm going to a casting call later this month and would love some advice :love:

Bring a hat.

Non-jokey answer:
http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Get-On-Reality/dp/0615718272/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414914277&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+gheesling

• Locked thread