Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

SalTheBard posted:

I can't wait for Kenny Powers to be on Survivor.

John Rocker is a worse human being than Kenny Powers.

Which is pretty remarkable when you consider the fact that the reason Kenny Powers was created was in order for him to be an exaggerated parody of John Rocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Lampsacus posted:

Hm, a lot of white people this season.

Other than Cook Islands and Fiji, 4 POC is the highest amount they've ever willing to go.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Met posted:

The first season? Either they cut a lot or it must have been pretty light because I just watched it and all it had was a few "I don't know what my army buddies would think of me if they saw me friends with Richard considering he's... you know..."

He's talking about Big Brother. Specifically the season from last summer.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BGrifter posted:

Last I heard his marriage fell apart and he was pretty much living inside a bottle. That three hours of drunken rambling was really sad.

Every word of this now perfectly describes Russell Hantz.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Propaganda Machine posted:

And I think Clay actually would have won, but Helen told Ted about some kind of racist comment which is specifically why Clay lost that vote, and the game. That led to stricter Ponderosa rules. But really, Clay winning is the only thing that could have made Thailand even worse.

I believe I remember hearing that Brian was actually the one who fabricated some sort of story about Clay saying something racist in order to discredit him since he knew he wanted to take Clay to the end with him as a goat. Ted was actually good friends with Clay during the game and wanted to vote for him to win, but after hearing the rumors about "Clay being a racist" switched his vote to Brian.

Also, I am pretty sure that both Brian AND Clay were called out for saying something racist, and the Clay one was a fabrication while the Brian one was actually true but he deflected it somehow. (I believe Brian said, regarding Ted and the fact that Vecepia won the most recent season that they watched, "We can't let two of them win in a row.")

I'm not trying to adamantly defend Clay because he sure came off as a bigoted little troll certainly capable of saying racist things, but I'm just reporting some of the info I've heard after the fact.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I've mentioned it before, but 'One World' has one of the best* Survivor narratives I've seen on the show. Kim, a recently divorced owner of a wedding store, has to convince a bunch of women to constantly act against their own best interest in keeping her around. Outside the game, her literal real-world profession is to convince women to buy tons of unnecessary poo poo to in order to fulfil their "dreams", while she already is a hollow husk after her own marriage went to poo poo. People clamour over other 'mastermind' players of this game (many who had to return several times before they ever won), but Kim is seriously one of the most cold-blooded awesome masterminds the show has had.

Yeah that sounds good in theory, but the show never gave us that side of Kim. All we saw of her was her being a one sided gamebot who would only give confessionals about "I hope that Play X does this because it aligns with my strategy blah blah blah." If we delved a bit deeper and saw her explanation as to how she manipulated all these other people that could have been great, but we never really saw it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Fast Luck posted:

I'm not really a fan of Missy but in her way she seems to have become the #1 powerbroker in the game right now. She's got Baylor attached at the hip,

I agree with your overall point but its funny to me that you're giving her credit for having a connection with Baylor.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

oneof27 posted:

I just found out a casual acquaintance is an actual cousin to Parvati.
I'm filled equally with amazement and shame that you are the only people who will care. And even that's not a certainty.

I had a 10 minute conversation with Parvati once (at the RHAP roast event.) Be amazed!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Rocker was the most interesting part of this season and a good casting choice. The problem was they should have found a relative of his or something instead of Julie. I think this would have also led to more interesting dynamics as well, Julie chose to be with him years after the racist stuff happened and is right by his side when he does the "Speak English!" Stuff years later, and it would have been more interesting if he was put on with someone that loved him but was embarrassed by and didn't support his bigoted and more bombastic views and actions.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Robnoxious posted:

Boo.. Quiz Comp.

It's a crapshoot folks.

Keith got hosed out of his immunity because of Jules.

How is a memory quiz comp a crapshoot? The crappy beanbag toss and shuffleboard games they play for HOH on Big Brother are crapshoots. A memorization quiz after 22 days of starvation is a pretty good test of mental prowess in my opinion.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Poque posted:

Sure, not directly, but it's pretty obvious that people like Wes, Jaclyn, or Alec are not the winners just by how they're presented (or not presented).

I agree with you about Wes or Alex, but Jaclyn? I could easily see her winning. In fact she might be right near the top of my list of potential candidates. She's been given plenty of screentime, and more importantly plenty of screentime and confessionals devoted to her talking/discussing strategy, mostly with Jon but also by herself. She just doesn't have much of a personality so it doesn't stand out and its easy to forget.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
It was clearly Leif and Christina. Kat had her weird ditzy sayings but she at least understood the game and thought she was in a good position before she was blindsided.

Leif and Christina were both basically told to their faces that they had no chances and were getting voted out and did nothing about it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still think Jay had to be one of them

Jay was blindsided but he was playing the game to some degree. He came up with the idea to flip alliances and align with the people on his new swapped tribe in order to get rid of some of the men on his old tribe. Kim played him like a fool of course but he at least understood the concepts of alliance flipping and majoritities. Leif and Christina did not.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Poque posted:

Can idols be played reactively? Like, could Jon play his idol if Keith played his? I wonder if they have to announce it at the voting urn or something so Probst can be waiting for it.

Definitely yes, we've seen it happen multiple times.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

sportsgenius86 posted:

Baylor pretty obviously sees herself as a very mature person by virtue of being more mature than her own mother, but doesn't realize that's only because her mother is so incredibly immature, and isn't really indicative of her general level of maturity.

How dare you call Missy immature, she is a mom.
(gives you the finger)

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Fast Luck posted:

He actually did seem to be doing sort of well? He had Baylor wanting to keep him at least past Keith, and he had Jon and Jaclyn liking him too. I'm not sure if it would have got him anything because he didn't have alliances or anything but there were some seeds there.

You could say the same about Carter from Philippines or Eddie from Caramoan. There are always dudes who are dragged to the end because they're mostly nonthreatening and people kind of like them.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

To Vex a Stranger posted:

We still haven't seen Keith say "I made the dumbest move in survivor history" yet, have we? I remember him saying that in a promo, and every week I don't hear it I say "Yeah, he's still here."

Maybe that's a quote from final jury and he is talking about loving him and wes over?

We never saw Julie say "I feel so betrayed by John right now" either. Some of that stuff was cut out along the way. I'd bet that Keith quote was from after Reed told him he screwed up and was left out of the episode, and they didn't use a clip from the finale in the preview.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mercaptopropyl posted:

How did I completely forget about how absurdly jealous and/or threatened Jaclyn seems to be by Missy when it comes to Jon. I can't imagine what Jaclyn must be like outside the game when women are around Jon.

Didn't she say something earlier in the season about her not getting along with Jon's mom in real life and Jon's surrogate mother relationship with Missy was similar in that regard?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

GaussianCopula posted:

Commercial spoiler They announced there will be one blindside in the finale, which has to be Natalie at f4, as Keith and Jaclyn both would expect to get voted out. I think Baylor/Missy/Natalie are more scared of Keith as a "challenge beast" so he probably goes f5, which means your winner of Survivor San Juan del Sur is Jaclyn "I'm on permanent birth control" Schultz.

As for the questsion if she deserves to win? Well, I think Ken Raskoff said it best in his recent RHAP interview (he worked in casting for the longest time) that the game always produces the right winner for the season.

Oh God, I think you're right about that preview meaning that Natalie is out at F4. That really gives me a strong feeling that Keith is actually going to win this thing

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mills posted:

It's just a shame that Natalie is a bigot.

Did she say anything bigoted during her stints on TAR? I don't think she's said anything bigoted on this show, at least. Her sister did (with the "Josh is a girl" thing) and its natural to assume that they share the same sensibilities, but not necessarily a given so I don't think its fair to put that on her.
I never saw either of their TAR seasons so I have no idea if she said anything offensive on those, if she did I would like to know what it was to help inform my opinion for tomorrow night.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Bigass Moth posted:

Also remember that missy stayed in the game after her injury which probably kept her daughter out if the final 3, and Baylor IMO had a better shot at winning.

I don't know if that's true. Most of the exit interviews seemed to indicate that no one respected Baylor and just thought she was a lazy brat who needed her mom to do her fighting for her. (They didn't see any of her strategy with Natalie or anything) Or in the best cases, "Well she's very young so she doesn't really understand." Missy had some respect, at least - when Jeff did the informal revote with no Natalie in there she had 3 hypothetical votes to win.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

STAC Goat posted:

It just didn't make much sense for Baylor and Jaclyn to willingly sacrifice themselves,

In her exit press Jaclyn seemed to indicate that she was on board with this plan and was okay with the idea of her being voted out at Final Five (because she thought this plan going through would guarantee a Jon win) since the guys liked Jon so much more than her.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Joose Caboose posted:

Winning tribe gets to choose which losing tribe has to feed and house Rupert at their camp until the next challenge?

Timed idols actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

Losing tribe has to live in Rupert's underground nightmare shelter from All Stars

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Yeah this is some pretty ridiculous spin. I liked them both fine on the show but this is some pretty big self-aggrandizement.

I especially liked when Josh was complaining about how his "rationale for his first three votes wasn't shown enough." Dude, you got more screentime and confessionals and opportunities to explain your strategy than anyone else did in the first half of the season. People were convinced that Josh was the winner because he was basically the only one who they allocated "explain your strategy to the camera" time to in the early episodes. Far better than a merge boot deserves.

I also legitimately don't buy that 6 of the jurors reamed out Missy in the same way that Reed did but they chose not to show it. Why the hell would they not show it? Josh's reasoning is because Missy was a finalist or something, but that makes no sense, they show finalists getting piled on all the time. The editors should eat that poo poo up. So you're telling me that people like Alec and Wes directed scathing comments towards Missy but they chose to edit those out and only show the rambling, nonsensical part of their jury questions where they asked very basic questions?

xbilkis posted:

He legitimately says "Natalie is desperately looking for something wrong with our game to take heat off of her," which is the most insane thing anyone could possibly say about the winner and two early jury boots?

In all fairness I'm pretty sure what he was trying to say was "Natalie is desperately looking for something wrong with our game to take heat off of MISSY," not take the heat off herself.

In any case it's clear that Josh and Reed are going to spend the next 5 or so years of their lives anxiously waiting a "come back for an All Star season" call from Lynn Spillman that they will never actually get.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Propaganda Machine posted:

Who won, anyway? I don't really want to listen through the whole thing but I must know.

It hasn't happened yet but I'm like 90% sure it will be Spencer and Natalie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Red_Museum posted:

Guess which tribe the circus-influenced, gypsy-themed coconut vendor is on?

Guess which tribe the law student is on?

Wait...

• Locked thread