Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

DaisyDanger posted:

Pretty sure it's the reaction to Jeff telling them that Marcus got voted out at the last tribal. I can't remember if it's Marcus for sure, though.

Edit: Yeah, it was Marcus.

An underrated part of that .gif is that Sugar has no reason to be having such a dismayed reaction to Marcus being voted out. I don't think they were aligned ever, and they were on different tribes for longer than they were on the same tribe.

Also, the level of despair and then pain in Charlie's eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I could see being annoyed by them based on the racing portions, but I liked them in the confessional segments in that video, which seems to be more in line with what they'd be like on Survivor.

I can't believe it took maybe CBS's most bizarre stunt casting ever to get the first South Asian contestants on the show

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I like Jeremy immediately cashing in his tearful goodbye with his wife to form an all-women alliance

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Did John say his last name is Wetteland? As in, John Wetteland, another professional baseball relief pitcher??

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bummed about the boot; Nadiya seemed to be the most interesting of the people who could have been potentially voted off. Dale was mildly entertaining and likable, but he didn't seem like he had all that much left in him and Val was pretty unremarkable considering the amount of screen time she got in a premiere (and as someone who went to Exile, found an idol clue and spearheaded an alliance).

There didn't seem like there was anyone truly unbearable in the cast, and it was more interesting than it seemed like based on the initial reveal. Not an outstanding premiere, but I'm cautiously optimistic relative to how I felt before the episode.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think Baylor has any reason to turn on Josh for the wonky vote, at least not in the short run. He can sell it as a way to hide the fact that they're tight - if it was clear that one woman had flipped, the other women would be mad at her and the men would be suspicious of how she knew who to vote for.

Even in the worst case scenario, "I was paranoid, I knew you weren't getting any votes, I wanted to be able to knowledgeably pick a side if I was actually the swing vote and I knew you wouldn't hold it against me" wouldn't make someone an immediate target in my eyes, especially if he's someone I've gotten close to in the first three days.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"A woman beating a man at a challenge involving balancing, ducking under an object and rolling a ball...nobody would have predicted this!!!"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Natalie's resigned "no, we can't survive without fire" was hilarious + reminded me of this

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is a great analogy imo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Toaster Ding posted:

Val has to be one of the worst Survivor players of all time. Was there even any reason to believe she was in danger? What the gently caress was the point of that? It was like watching someone throw themselves off a cliff because they were afraid of tripping.

Well, she was on exile island when everyone on her tribe was getting to know one another, she had one of her only allies betray her and the other one was voted off, leaving her with one person she had any reason to trust. Oh, and she has a likable and strong family member on the other tribe, although it's tough to tell how well the opposing tribe can gauge things like that.

She way overplayed her hand but she was probably doomed anyway. I appreciate her going down as a kind of insane person who burned Baylor's game on her way out

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
John going sucks because he was a lighting rod for controversy, he was a hilarious moron and because it means Josh is in control of his tribe again. He seems to be the only real gamebot in this season, and I hope that his overplaying comes back to haunt him because I am not really interested in an entire season of him boringly narrating about his strategy and how he doesn't want anyone else to do anything entertaining.

I also don't really know where the idea that Jeremy is a bad player is coming from. He probably overreacted to his wife going home, but calling out the racist homophobic former professional baseball player who promised to protect your wife two days before she got voted out isn't exactly a move that will put a huge target on your back. Everyone on his team seems to like him and he's at the core of a majority alliance that will be dependent on his staying in the game until at least the merge.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Natalie also had a fair point in her post-challenge rant, which is that John really hasn't been a challenge powerhouse. It'll hurt to lose a big guy, but in most of the pre-merge challenges there's still a huge emphasis on throwing things / balancing things / doing puzzles to the point that any group can pretty much win any challenge. Plus they'll probably swap soon enough unless they really want to preserve the lovely 1 on 1 "blood" battles

The real reason it was stupid to vote John out was that he was absolutely not a mastermind, he was a huge shield and he seemed genuinely dedicated to preserving the alliance he formed. But he's not trustworthy because he wanted to keep his girlfriend safe and didn't tell Josh he had an idol quickly enough!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I would argue that Jaclyn's loved one is more of a Kelly since I literally can't remember him doing anything except a brief moment of admiring his own biceps after he pushed someone off the platform in the second immunity challenge.

How could you forget a dude who wishes he had a tail.

It really is pretty implausible that they managed to cast another dud Kell(e)y, but I guess when you have the chance to get someone as dynamic as Dale on television you do whatever it takes

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

This week I enjoyed Jeremy and Natalie realizing Alec is just Drew with an inferiority complex and incredulously resigning themselves to kissing his rear end.

Alec has been an understated fascinating element of the past two weeks for me. Between projecting all of his pent-up frustration with Drew on Baylor last week, and talking about how he was glad to finally be out of Drew's shadow this week only for Jeremy to immediately say "Alec is exactly the same as Drew," it's a pretty funny insight into the relationship the brothers have.

This last episode was kind of boring (I don't really care about the politics of food rationing), but I think this season has been pretty solid throughout. I like basically everyone who has been voted out, which has been frustrating, but most people have shown the potential to be at least mildly interesting. And then there's Reed

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is probably the best quit ever, because it's saving probably the most interesting player left in the game. A selfless move imo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

Julie is certainly one of the more selfish people to have played the game. Jeff was remarkably easy on her considering his stance on quitters.

I think Jeff appreciated the opportunity to relive his talk show glory days so he forgot about what exactly was happening

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

nexous posted:

It's hard to believe they went from last season where nearly everyone was either a) interesting b) a good player c) terrible but humorous -- to a season where everyone's either bland or dumb as rocks, or both. The only personality is/was Jeremy and John Rocker.

It was never going to be a strategic barnburner, but I think this season had kind of a suboptimal boot order for entertainment sake, too. Most of the early boots were either bigger personalities or more intent on playing the game harder. I guess part of that could be the editing - things don't seem to get included in the show unless it's going to be immediately relevant to who gets voted off.

I understand the instincts to compare this to One World (and if Josh beats out Jeremy, even more so), but I feel way more positively about this season even if it's kind of boring. I didn't care about anyone that season and this season more or less everyone is...fine.

Wes and Keith are pretty likable but nothing noteworthy.
Missy has been kind of a dud until this week, where I thought she handled Baylor's waffling really well and her reactions to Julie were pretty good. Baylor has had stretches where she's been "in the game", but her constantly going back to Josh — despite him immediately voting for her and jeopardizing her game when they were fast allies — is baffling. This pair has the most interesting dynamics to me, even though individually they've not been great.
Alec is basically a watered down version of his brother.
Jon is a giant moron but is pretty fun, and Jaclyn seems to be slightly less of a moron and is trying her hardest. Jon buying into an iffy plan and Jaclyn acting skeptical about it seems to be a recurring storyline, so next week could be interesting.
Natalie has moments where she shows signs of being a bigger character and someone playing hard, but she disappears a lot. I'm kind of surprised they haven't focused more on her and Jeremy as a duo, because they seem really tight.
Reed is a non-entity. Josh is like Kim Spradlin, but not as dominant and maybe with less of a personality?
I like Jeremy, but I could see his general sourness turning people off considering all the airtime he gets. He's also not exactly a "master strategist," even if he's playing hard (although I don't really care about that).

They're pretty much all vaguely likable but unremarkable. In that respect, it building up to this Jeremy vs. Josh merge standoff is pretty lucky from a storyline perspective, but there could be a pretty uneventful run of episodes when one side gets the upper hand. They might actually be better off with the quit, extending the suspense one more episode.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

TMMadman posted:

I'm also a little bit sick of Baylor and her attitude. I know that Josh was putting a little pressure on her, but I didn't feel like he was trying to outright blackmail her.

Baylor came to Josh on day three, told him he was the person in the game she trusted the most and wanted to work with him, and he immediately voted for her. This made Baylor an outcast with the girls and at the bottom of the totem pole with the men, to the point where she almost left in the second tribal council because of a vote split. The first person she reached out to and trusted almost ruined her game off the bat.

It's absurd for him to think she owed him anything after that, and I was glad to see that move come back to haunt him in the end.

I understand how this could have been a disappointing episode for people who love to see people play the game well, but I think it's just as entertaining to see the game turn on a (pretty irrelevant) douchebag being an open jerk to a critical swing vote in his alliance for no reason. And hey, seeing the moron who overplayed at the first tribal council for no reason leave should be some solace

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

it's really funny how concerned he is about somebody in the final 3 when there are 10 people left in the game. if only there were some way to prevent him from making it that far!!!!

Yeah this was an insane back and forth.

Jon: "If we go with Jeremy [and the 3 other people in that alliance, one of which is a pair that would seemingly have reason to work with us], he's gonna beat us in the finals!"
Jaclyn confessional: "Jon wants to get rid of Jeremy because he thinks we'd lose in the final three to him...but, what if we don't?"

And at no point the idea of voting Jeremy out sometime between now and then was mentioned. I did enjoy when the sentence "Jon is thinking for the long term....which is STUPID." was spoken.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jeremy explicitly said 'we have to wait to get down to the final six' so it probably wasn't kill or be killed right now. I'm kind of surprised Missy wasn't able to talk him down to 'let's just vote him out at the final six,' honestly.

I guess they could have been looking ahead to the moment when the individual players (plus Wes and Keith, who I think nobody views as a real threat) realize Missy + Baylor + Jon + Jaclyn can plow through the rest of the game if they aren't stopped.

I hope Natalie comes alive now that Jeremy is gone. I feel bad for her, because she was basically the only person who had a reason to feel pretty complacent and she was going out of her way to maintain the status quo, but it'll be interesting to see her do more than just sit back. Based on her coming out strong against Rocker + stepping forward to go to exile/give up a reward, she seems like a relatively unique player

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a bad move because it has to happen eventually (and Jeremy messed up by needlessly poking around), but it looks suuuper bad on the face of it and it's probably worth sticking it out a little longer once you know that Missy and Baylor are down.

I know a lot of people are down on this season, but at least it has some chaos going for it. I imagine the producers were freaking out when the merge went quit -> Josh boot -> Jeremy boot, but it could have been a lot worse considering it was set up for a serious pagonging of either side.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

bbf2 posted:

Kat had her weird ditzy sayings but she at least understood the game and thought she was in a good position before she was blindsided.

Just to really hammer home how dumb the two dumb people had to have been, and how dire One World was: Kat, who was characterized basically all season as "the dumb one," got targeted by Alicia — someone she had just made a final three deal with — for trying too hard at an immunity challenge, which eventually led to that blindside. Kat came in second in that challenge. Kim came in first, and was the third person in that F3 deal, and Alicia never went after her.

And pretty much nobody believes that either Kat or Alicia is one of the two people Probst was talking about.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

savinhill posted:

As soon as Reed said his whole misdirection spiel about Wes I knew the vote was gonna get hosed by either Keith or Wes saying something stupid in response, fuckin annoying. Then they all vote how it was supposed to go anyway and Nat gets John to play his idol after saying she wanted to get revenge and get rid of him all episode, even more annoying

If Natalie lets Jon get voted off without the idol, then Wes/Keith/Alec/Reed have equal numbers to the people Natalie has been the closest with all game, and there's incentive for Baylor/Missy to team up with the only other pair left in the game. She was right when she said she needed to wait another round to make her move.

Anyway that immunity challenge + tribal council was hilarious and it's good that we finally have an answer to the question 'is Keith kind of an idiot savant at this game or just really dumb?'

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"I should go on every reward, so this is deeply concerning to me" - Jaclyn

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Like, legitimately, Natalie said "you just went on the past two rewards with your boyfriend," and one of those times Natalie gave up the reward she won so Jaclyn could go, and Jaclyn is mad she's not being rewarded for Jon going to exile (and getting a chance to find another idol). This is amazing petulant gameplay

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think at this point they should just put the idol in the vase at exile island, right

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"We're in the middle all the time!! I dunno how this keeps happening!! Maybe it's because we're morons who go out of our way to piss off every single person who gets voted off!!"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Downtown Orlando is a blast" is the dumbest thing so far this season

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

And then, they voted Jeremy out who the knew Natalie was tight with.

"It's so weird that the other 2 people in our alliance are tighter with Natalie than us"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

I think Jon/Jaclyn's smartest move would be to vote out Reed and then partner with Alec and Keith, since Alec and Keith are morons. They obviously see the Baylor/Natalie/Missy trio, so it would surprise me if they did anything else.

I think there's gonna need to be some initiative from the other side to get Jon and Jaclyn to flip again, which is why Reed might be in a pretty good position. This is definitely way safer though; Reed is way more dangerous

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel so bad for Jon. This is the most clarity he's had all game and Jaclyn is freaking out for no reason

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is exactly the absurd trainwreck gameplay I expected with these people left in the game / controlling the game, and it's beautiful

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"This is really weird, why are they doing a super slow fade from Jon to the sunrise?"

[5 HOURS LATER]

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Every time I think it must be over, it JUST KEEPS GOING

This is fascinating

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
God, it is hilarious how much better at this Natalie seems to be than anyone left

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ah, I think they've tipped their hand too early with the Jon boot. Watch him pull out an immunity win.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

I don't get why they don't just target Jaclyn if Jon has the hidden idol. Just take her out, let Jon waste the idol...it's not like Jon will be able to sway Alec/Keith to draw rocks.

I feel like, for some reason, Natalie is counting on an ability to go back to Jaclyn even after a Jon blindside. Which seems insane to me, but that's the only way pulling the Jon blindside now makes more sense than next round. Right now, Jaclyn can just team up with Keith and Alec if Jon goes to tie it against the obvious power trio.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis posted:

Ah, I think they've tipped their hand too early with the Jon boot. Watch him pull out an immunity win.

Hey what do you know

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Nat appears to just be getting stir-crazy for no reason. She REALLY wanted that Jon boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Next week's preview does not look like it portends well for Natalie, if you buy that they don't want to give away too much in advance. The fact that they don't even mention her hinky vote is a little troubling to me.

Natalie voted out the dumber, more reliable, less-appealing-to-a-jury player and drew a lot of attention her way. Even if she dodges the heat, I dunno what argument you could make for taking that risk. At F4 Baylor/Missy would be more likely to take Alec than her? That's about it.

• Locked thread