Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
We are constantly hearing that it's good to reply to low-effort trolls spouting talking points because it's good practice for real life. Great! I'm so glad you find it edifying. This comes up so often that it regularly derails threads. And we get literally dozens of posts every day replying to trolls and arguing about trolls in just one notable thread alone. There is obviously enough interest in this topic to sustain its own thread. This is that thread. Edify yourselves and each other here.

If you find yourself replying to one of Amergin's posts, STOP. Don't click Post. Instead, ctrl-A, ctrl-C, and then paste it here in this thread. Now you and others can argue with the trolls here!

This thread isn't just for Amergin. If there's a troll in the UKPol or AusPol or any other thread that always derails things, argue with them here. Everyone who isn't interested in that poo poo will thank you.

One more thing: this is D&D, not helldump. So keep it civil and don't flame the trolls. After all, if you scare them away then you wouldn't be able to fill this thread with your supremely enlightening responses that will help us all reply to the trolls in our own lives.

If you need some tinder to start this fire, you can begin by explaining to Amergin why race is an issue and why solutions to poverty that do not address race are doomed to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I want to head more about Michael Brown robbing a store and why it's relevant to his death.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I want to head more about Michael Brown robbing a store and why it's relevant to his death.

I saw the video and it didn't seem to me that he took anything. He threw some of his handful of cigars on the counter and then had words with the clerk. That the clerk didn't call the police to report a theft also suggests that it wasn't a robbery at all.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Jimbozig posted:

If you need some tinder to start this fire, you can begin by explaining to Amergin why race is an issue and why solutions to poverty that do not address race are doomed to fail.
I'd like to ask if he read The Case for Reparations and what his thoughts are. That piece is maybe getting referenced so much it is falling into "You should watch The Wire" territory, but it is still a superbly well built argument that ties poverty and race together, so IMHO it's still a great starting point.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

If you find the contents of a thread to be bad, the first step is to improve your own posting. The only person you can force to post good is yourself. I hope this helps your enjoyment of the forums. Namaste.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

anonumos posted:

I saw the video and it didn't seem to me that he took anything. He threw some of his handful of cigars on the counter and then had words with the clerk. That the clerk didn't call the police to report a theft also suggests that it wasn't a robbery at all.

See, these things you refer to, called facts by some, really get in the way of demonizing this dead black guy which is just so frustrating, man. I'm sure Amergin has something to say that will enlighten us all.

R. Mute posted:

If you find the contents of a thread to be bad, the first step is to improve your own posting. The only person you can force to post good is yourself. I hope this helps your enjoyment of the forums. Namaste.

This is wrong. This is why we have the "Report" button, to force people to improve their posting. That some people post lovely and don't get probated doesn't mean D&D doesn't have rules.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
And you don't get to make or enforce those rules!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is wrong. This is why we have the "Report" button, to force people to improve their posting. That some people post lovely and don't get probated doesn't mean D&D doesn't have rules.

Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean that they should be probated or reported at all. This is so weak.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

If you find yourself replying to one of Amergin's posts, STOP. Don't click Post.

Why? Why should I post here instead of in the thread of relevant discussion? For one, Amergin might not even read my response here; for two, there are hundreds of posts in a thread I don't give a poo poo about so why should his be special?

Seriously, this is a lovely idea. If mods come and say Amergin replies can only go here then sure, but why the gently caress should I do extra so you don't have to scroll past a post about something you don't care about? Are you going to make threads for LeJackal and The Insect Court too, because some people find them to be trolls or find the back and forth with them annoying?

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

tbp posted:

Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean that they should be probated or reported at all. This is so weak.

greetings

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

As it turns out, this is now the thread for the OP.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mo_Steel posted:

Why? Why should I post here instead of in the thread of relevant discussion? For one, Amergin might not even read my response here; for two, there are hundreds of posts in a thread I don't give a poo poo about so why should his be special?

Seriously, this is a lovely idea. If mods come and say Amergin replies can only go here then sure, but why the gently caress should I do extra so you don't have to scroll past a post about something you don't care about? Are you going to make threads for LeJackal and The Insect Court too?

This thread I think is intended for responses to anyone who holds an opinion the OP is not a fan of lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is this a wordy callout thread?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

tbp posted:

It's not a matter of agreement, it's a matter of the rules. Amergin was probated in July for trolling the USPOL thread by doing his usual thing. Check his rap sheet. How is what he's doing now any different at all? He's openly admitted several times that he actively trolls the thread and just because it gives you guys a strawman to knock down doesn't make it kosher.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
is it allowed to start having bad opinions in here instead of another thread?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Bhaal posted:

I'd like to ask if he read The Case for Reparations and what his thoughts are. That piece is maybe getting referenced so much it is falling into "You should watch The Wire" territory, but it is still a superbly well built argument that ties poverty and race together, so IMHO it's still a great starting point.

I read it and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not a TNC fan.

Also, this will be my one and only post in this thread. I'm posting political discussion in the political thread - I'm honored you all feel that I need a thread dedicated to me, but seriously now, grow the gently caress up. This is Something Awful, stop acting like trolling doesn't belong here.

If an admin wants to yank me from the one D&D thread I bother to post on, fine. Until then, get over yourselves.

EDIT:

Jimbozig posted:

I haven't posted to complain about people feeding the trolls until today. The first thing I did once I posted it was to create a solution because I know that just bitching about it doesn't help. I am hoping that this thread will somehow help, even if only as a stupid example of idiocy. Like, if the idiotic "stop feeding the trolls" vs "but it's fun and educational" poo poo could go here, I'd have no problem with Amergin continuing to post in USPol.

Amergin, I never asked you to only post here. I would never expect that of you. What good would it do to troll this thread? The whole point is for you to troll USPol and for the people who want to argue about it to come here.

Fair enough, my fault and sorry for the misunderstanding. Carry on, then.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 28, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

This thread I think is intended for responses to anyone who holds an opinion the OP is not a fan of lol

Seriously OP, how about this: instead of us wasting effort for you, you and everyone else who posts the "oh lol someone bit the bait on Amergin again" posts here. You can feel smug and everyone else can discuss what they want to and ignore what they don't, like loving adults.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Yes, as long as the opinion isn't a purposeful troll that continually derails the thread. You know, like the rules.

Amergin posted:

If an admin wants to yank me from the one D&D thread I bother to post on, fine. Until then, get over yourselves.

Oh boo loving hoo "the one D&D thread I bother to post on". What a loving child.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i don't know, you should check with the op if that's kosher.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I guess

I think all liberals should be killed because of their whining in the uspol thread

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think all liberals should be killed because of their whining in the uspol thread
that's not a bad opinion...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I guess

:unsmigghh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
well according to the liberals in the uspol thread it is and as such it apparently belongs here

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well according to the liberals in the uspol thread it is and as such it apparently belongs here
it's a valid point worth discussing. like, the logistics, if there are any exceptions, a timeframe, etc.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously, this is a lovely idea. If mods come and say Amergin replies can only go here then sure, but why the gently caress should I do extra so you don't have to scroll past a post about something you don't care about? Are you going to make threads for LeJackal and The Insect Court too, because some people find them to be trolls or find the back and forth with them annoying?

This week alone there have been three pages-long arguments over whether or not to reply to Amergin in the USPol thread. I could ignore him and I could scroll past the replies to his posts, but the endless derails drown out all other conversation. It is clear that the two sides cannot co-exist peacefully, so I am attempting a two-state solution.

This allows the troll-feeders to have their place and have their fun, while allowing the troll-ignorers to simply put trolls on their ignore lists. We can all be happy this way instead of the endless warring and bitching.

Like I said, it's not the replies to Amergin that were the problem for me. It was the endless arguments over the merits of replying to trolls, and as long as people are replying to trolls those arguments seem inevitable. It's like gun control - you may be a responsible troll-feeder, but the inevitable end outcome of troll-feeding is arguments about troll-feeding which in this analogy must be the forums-equivalent of school shootings. I hope it's clear that I'm not being entirely serious with this terrible metaphor.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are we killing all the liberals because they are still advocating for capitalism and must be put against the wall alongside the bankers and the other bourgeoisie?

Jimbozig posted:

This week alone there have been three pages-long arguments over whether or not to reply to Amergin in the USPol thread. I could ignore him and I could scroll past the replies to his posts, but the endless derails drown out all other conversation. It is clear that the two sides cannot co-exist peacefully, so I am attempting a two-state solution.

This allows the troll-feeders to have their place and have their fun, while allowing the troll-ignorers to simply put trolls on their ignore lists. We can all be happy this way instead of the endless warring and bitching.

Like I said, it's not the replies to Amergin that were the problem for me. It was the endless arguments over the merits of replying to trolls, and as long as people are replying to trolls those arguments seem inevitable. It's like gun control - you may be a responsible troll-feeder, but the inevitable end outcome of troll-feeding is arguments about troll-feeding which in this analogy must be the forums-equivalent of school shootings. I hope it's clear that I'm not being entirely serious with this terrible metaphor.

Ask mods to make "lol ur responding to a troll" a probatable offense and then report people who make those posts and the derails on whether or not to reply to them would decrease?

e: Hell it's already pretty much against the rules:

quote:

No cheerleading: Don't try to shut down a debate. Popular examples include "Don't listen to him, he's crazy," "Everyone else agrees with me," and "Yeah, this guy has it right."

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 28, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mo_Steel posted:

Are we killing all the liberals because they are still advocating for capitalism and must be put against the wall alongside the bankers and the other bourgeoisie?

no just because they're annoying.

not that your reasons aren't good too.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey, please answer my question as to why Amergin's trolling, which got him probated in July, is now not against the rules? Be specific, thanks.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not that your reasons aren't good too.
it's great to see such a diverse group come together, despite their differences in motives and reasoning, and unite to say - loudly and proudly - kill all liberals

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Because if you and your fellow nitwits would just shut the gently caress up you'd only have to scroll past amergin's and at most a dozen others' posts instead of the multipage shitstorm you kick up

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i personally don't know how you can face the world each day if you can't handle a little trolling in the uspol thread.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because if you and your fellow nitwits would just shut the gently caress up you'd only have to scroll past amergin's and at most a dozen others instead of the multipage shitstorm you kick up
don't reply to him. i just checked out his rap sheet and it turns out he's a big, fat troll! don't feed the trolls!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

i personally don't know how you can face the world each day if you can't handle a little trolling in the uspol thread.

Given how much of politics is trolling the poo poo out of opponents / constituents in particular.

Case in point, after the BP Oil Spill:

That is some masterful artwork right there. :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

this is the most easily trolled subforum on the internet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
like we had the exact same loving debate over tbp and guess what? Ignoring him and not making a big deal over his posting means he comes around less.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I'm sure if we all are sincere enough in our arguments and hone our educational skills then the trolls will all see the errors of their ways.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because if you and your fellow nitwits would just shut the gently caress up you'd only have to scroll past amergin's and at most a dozen others' posts instead of the multipage shitstorm you kick up

You didn't answer my question. Please do so.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Amergin posted:

I read it and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not a TNC fan.
Sweet, so your position is systemic racism is just a non-entity. That's all I needed, thanks!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

You didn't answer my question. Please do so.
how can you tell when somebody is trolling and when somebody isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I haven't posted to complain about people feeding the trolls until today. The first thing I did once I posted it was to create a solution because I know that just bitching about it doesn't help. I am hoping that this thread will somehow help, even if only as a stupid example of idiocy. Like, if the idiotic "stop feeding the trolls" vs "but it's fun and educational" poo poo could go here, I'd have no problem with Amergin continuing to post in USPol.

Amergin, I never asked you to only post here. I would never expect that of you. What good would it do to troll this thread? The whole point is for you to troll USPol and for the people who want to argue about it to come here.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread