Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doesn't have to be 'real' planets and such. Looking for fun sci-fi game where I can do exploration in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Star Control 2

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've recently started playing Star Control 2 a.k.a. The Ur-Quan Masters.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ralp posted:

Didn't realize what you meant until i got to the bottom of the wiki page. yeah, this looks pretty tight and its probably a good game if people are using their own time to make an open source port of it

i've also never heard of it (or cant remember it) despite it being claimed as one of the best pc games evar

Soral
May 30, 2009

mario galaxy, op

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
theres a new elite game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

e:^^^
Isn't it being designed for the 3 monitors joystick/throttle crowd?

escape velocity

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The new elite is pretty controllable with just a controller or a cheap single stick option. No planet exploration yet though

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

depending on what kind of exploration you are looking for theres this program called i think "space engine" which basically lets you zoom around the universe and check out planets and stuff. it uses actually astronomical data where it can but if you go far enough out it uses procedurally generated star systems and stuff. it's pretty fun to mess around with if you are a fan of space

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

depending on what kind of exploration you are looking for theres this program called i think "space engine" which basically lets you zoom around the universe and check out planets and stuff. it uses actually astronomical data where it can but if you go far enough out it uses procedurally generated star systems and stuff. it's pretty fun to mess around with if you are a fan of space

I am but is there anything else to do or is it just like 'no-clip' only for real life?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

are the first two elites worth playing now?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

I am but is there anything else to do or is it just like 'no-clip' only for real life?

it's basically no clip for real life. iirc it's free too so it's fun for like an hour or so until you want something more substantive

Papa Daedalus
Aug 11, 2014
Outer Wilds - http://www.freeindiegam.es/2013/07/outer-wilds-alex-beachum/

20 minutes to explore an alien solar system before it all ends. It's pretty chill.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
You faggots I clicked on this thread to say star control 2, how dare you

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LaTex Fetish posted:

i've also never heard of it (or cant remember it) despite it being claimed as one of the best pc games evar

I don't think I ever heard of it back when it came out but I tried playing it a couple times recently (within ~5 years) and I couldn't get into it because I had no idea what kind of game it was nor (therefore) what I was supposed to be doing. It's not an RPG or action/dogfighting or a trading/gathering/economy game, but it tricked me into thinking it was. Now I think it's an adventure game with an in-game time limit and it's finally clicking.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

are the first two elites worth playing now?

Elite is a timeless masterpiece and has yet to be even touched by more modern games. Playing oolite on Linux with a PlayStation controller is super nerd heroin.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

That's a good game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That's a good game.

Frungy!

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
howzabout Transcendence

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

this looks like a shmup and bullet hell mashup and i'm shooting more towards exploration but I will give this a shot anyway since it is free

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

LaTex Fetish posted:

this looks like a shmup and bullet hell mashup and i'm shooting more towards exploration but I will give this a shot anyway since it is free

surprise it's actually a fairly strict roguelike

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Prospector is a roguelike about space exploration

Alien Legacy is like a mix of base building, exploration and adenture game. Kinda similar to Star Control in some ways. Its p good imo

Iron Seed is super weird with obscure impenetrable ui and mechanics, but kinda cool atmosphere

As far as modern space games go, there isnt much thats not centered around pewpew lasers and spaceplanes. KSP maybe?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

escape velocity

Get EV:Nova, then get the mods for the older, Mac only Escape Velocity

Railguns 4 life

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LaTex Fetish posted:

as your Game Advisor I recommend it strongly, it's fun

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

as your Game Advisor I recommend it strongly, it's fun

alright, i'll take your word for it :p

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

starcontrol 2 and transcendence are good

i don't have any other suggestions, which annoys me

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

spore

wait nevermind

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
mirror moon is weirdly interesting for about ten minutes

then theres the old game it's based on, nox something

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

space games own, i will check some of these out

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the metroid games are about exploring planets

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Star Voyager for the NES.

Sort of.

Godzilla for the NES :v:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cyber Knight 1 & 2 for snes

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

mass effect 1

:laffo:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

tradewars 2002

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

btw whats up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APP5WcX8v8

looks like a setup for a major disappointment

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Jim Power in Mutant Planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GKueb8P8o

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
all the colony wars games were good

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I want to explore Uranus OP

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Precursors, if you can stand janky as gently caress russian game design (the actual space parts are bad as hell tho)

didnt play very much of it, so i cant say if you get to explore anyones anus

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

mario galaxy, op

• Locked thread