Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

I just blew two hours on this. Good poo poo.

DoubleDonut posted:

No Man's Sky, which unfortunately will not have actual gameplay in it

So hyped to walk around planets and name everything I find "Weedsmoker420"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Still waiting for a good space game that is not old and outdated as gently caress

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Still waiting for a good space game that is not old and outdated as gently caress

oh you're hosed then

i mean i've heard promising things about the new elite but i haven't tried it, otherwise thought you're shitouttaluck

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Fat Care-Bear posted:

I think X3:AP is pretty good. It might feel dated but I think that any game of that complexity will have lots of UI design problems and it will take a while for you to learn anyway even if the UI was perfect, I don't think the problem there is being dated.
Alternatively, people on the X3 thread that looked more like graphics suckers and knew nothing about X3 seemed to like X Rebirth. Maybe X Rebirth works for a more casual folk? I wouldn't know lol.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Its basically this, an action-adventure-exploration game. You also get a little fleet and fight other ships in an Asteroids-like combat minigame. There's a bunch of secrets and the game expects you to be taking your own notes when it comes to important information.

drat I remember doing this for morrowind and actually breaking out the map they gave me to find my way around.

gosh, I'm pretty hyped for this game now.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Star Citizen

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
^^i worked so hard on this joke

LaTex Fetish posted:

Doesn't have to be 'real'

star citizen

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Average Bear posted:

^^i worked so hard on this joke

star citizen

haha good one :)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ralp posted:

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

is there a tutorial or something cause i couldnt figure out jack poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was like what are all these buttons and poo poo and then closed the game

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

real gamers dont need tutorials

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Back when manuals were substantive and worth reading there were no tutorials

:corsair:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

its actually pretty drat funny that this scrub doesnt even know what the transorbital spectromancer button does

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

is there a tutorial or something cause i couldnt figure out jack poo poo

Parallax Scroll posted:

Le sigh.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Casuals begone from this thread please.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Star Control 2/Ur-Quan Masters or Space Rangers HD.

Edit: Space Rangers is basically Star Control 2 with more boring races, but there's also crazy poo poo like living out your prison sentence day-by-day as a text adventure where you can do poo poo like trying to dig your way out of there with a spoon and get all sorts of exciting exotic diseases that run rampant in intergalactic prisons.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 2, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i thought it was a strategy game

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There are some RTS fights when you're liberating planets from the enemy. You can build you own robot army by combining parts such as legs, torso, arms, weapons almost any way you like, gather resources and build more, then select all and dogpile the enemy. Kind of fun. If that's not your cup of tea, you can just opt out of those in the beginning of the game. It's only a small part of the game and there's shitloads more.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Aether is about a boy and a monster exploring the universe and meeting miserable aliens. There's the free flash version as well as the HD version on The Basement Collection.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I guess ill try it again. last time i played it was probably close to a decade ago

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mach2 posted:

I just blew two hours on this. Good poo poo.

It also has some hella cool mods, like that one that lets you rebuild ships out of shipwrecks until you have your own personal fleet while also be able to freely change between which ship you're piloting.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

qnqnx posted:

It also has some hella cool mods, like that one that lets you rebuild ships out of shipwrecks until you have your own personal fleet while also be able to freely change between which ship you're piloting.
I am on this.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Parallax Scroll posted:

if you cant play sc2 blind get the gently caress out gaming rear end in a top hat

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Widestancer posted:

Back when manuals were substantive and worth reading there were no tutorials

:corsair:

i don't have the patience for that poo poo anymore :corsair:

but the game sounds neat so i'll put some more effort into it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ok im gonna try urquan masters now

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i don't remember this at all

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i got to earth, this is definitely further than i got before

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
You can right-click on most (all?) games on steam and click o "view player manual"

I learned X3 by reading the manual among other wikis.

The stalker soc manual is kind of neat

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this game isn't on steam but i read the manual that comes with it

trying to figure out how to land atm

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your lander can shoot too. somehow i didn't realize this for a long time, likely to the dismay of the spathi and melnorme

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm not far enough to have control of a lander yet. haven't found any land command. but maybe earth is unlandable? maybe that's why it's red, idk

edit: yeah i guess so. earth makes a fart sound when i select any of the scan options, but i can scan the moon

ok i guess i figured landing out

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 3, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'm not far enough to have control of a lander yet. haven't found any land command. but maybe earth is unlandable? maybe that's why it's red, idk

edit: yeah i guess so. earth makes a fart sound when i select any of the scan options, but i can scan the moon

You should go visit the space station orbiting Earth.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You should go visit the space station orbiting Earth.

did that, at the moon now

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome! To the Inaugural IMp Zone Let's Play Series!!

* A * B * S * O * L * U * T * E * L * Y * N O Spoi;ers!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm over the hump maybe? i'm doing things in the game

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

You explore planets, and different 'spaces', in just about every game which attempts to depict an illusion of a physical setting, OP.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'm over the hump maybe? i'm doing things in the game

yeah sc2's immediate beginning is rough but once you finish like your second fight you know most things about the game mechanics you need to know

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you can play this w one hand

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Parallax Scroll posted:

you can play this w one hand

Want the coordinates of the Syreen homeworld? :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Star Control protip: The Spaathi ship owns and you'll not be able to get them later so don't lose it.

• Locked thread