Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

The Protagonist posted:

oh you're hosed then

i mean i've heard promising things about the new elite but i haven't tried it, otherwise thought you're shitouttaluck

theres not that much to do in elite atm but the stuff thats currently in the early access version works really well and is quite fun

also, its a good example of how to make a decent usable UI that doesnt break immersion esp. if you use some sort of head tracking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Played a bit of Ur Quan Masters last night. The game literally tells you what to do first and if you somehow got lost then your dumb as gently caress and I dont feel sorry for you.

Anyway, had a blast talking to the commander on the space station. I named the fleet after my character because he is a cocky bastard. Found a cool alien guy on Pluto and now he is part of my fleet, but he doesn't realize he is my combat-slave thrall :greencube:

Went mining in a couple other star systems, had a good time.

Will report back.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Star Control protip: The Spaathi ship owns and you'll not be able to get them later so don't lose it.

yeah but once you get locked out of spaathi butt missiles you should be able to get thraddash ships and those things kill all other ships pretty much instantly because the ai is dumb as bones.

not much use in the last fight though.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Pumroy posted:

yeah but once you get locked out of spaathi butt missiles you should be able to get thraddash ships and those things kill all other ships pretty much instantly because the ai is dumb as bones.

not much use in the last fight though.

I stuck one blaster on the rear end of my flagship with one guidance thing or maybe two and I was using that for fighting everyone. I started a new game since then though because I spent too much time dilly-dallying.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
why does ur quan not have an ingame journal, am i supposed to take physical irl real life notes in the tyool of our lord two thousand and fourteen

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

wow when i started up my new game i broke out the gel pens and made a depiction of the solar system and doodled 'Star Control II' on the top and am using that as my journal.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

when the first alien I found gave me the coordinates to his star system I wrote them down and said "Updated my Journal" out loud in Nameless One's voice

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

Played a bit of Ur Quan Masters last night. The game literally tells you what to do first and if you somehow got lost then your dumb as gently caress and I dont feel sorry for you.

Anyway, had a blast talking to the commander on the space station. I named the fleet after my character because he is a cocky bastard. Found a cool alien guy on Pluto and now he is part of my fleet, but he doesn't realize he is my combat-slave thrall :greencube:

Will report back.

yeah it turns out i hadn't ever played ur-quan masters or star control 2 before. i was mixing it up with some other space game that had an overly complicated interface

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Parallax Scroll posted:

yeah it turns out i hadn't ever played ur-quan masters or star control 2 before. i was mixing it up with some other space game that had an overly complicated interface

iron seed?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i don't think so. looks like an interesting game though

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star Control 3! Just look at those graphics. The graphics.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Kurnugia posted:

Star Control 3! Just look at those graphics. The graphics.

lol

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

wow when i started up my new game i broke out the gel pens and made a depiction of the solar system and doodled 'Star Control II' on the top and am using that as my journal.

im gonna need some pics

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

LaTex Fetish posted:

Will report back.

If you let Fwiffo die you are a monster.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

grate deceiver posted:

why does ur quan not have an ingame journal, am i supposed to take physical irl real life notes in the tyool of our lord two thousand and fourteen

The original game came out in 1992 and UQM is a faithful port.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The original game came out in 1992 and UQM is a faithful port.

I know, its still a pain in the rear end.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Juffo-Wup fills in my fibers and I grow turgid. Violent action ensues.

Also if you like Star Control 2 don't forget to play Starflight, its p much the same thing but as I said earlier emulate the Mega Drive/Genesis version

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An in-game journal would be important if the universe were randomly generated but the stars and planets and aliens always are in the same places, so I like that they make it a matter of actual deduction and investigation for the player rather than an in-game knowledge flag or something.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

that dont make no sense, either way you need to keep track of all the information you get

i dont want big dumb arrows showing me where to go, just a tab with things like "so-and-so told me thing is at this coords"

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

that dont make no sense, either way you need to keep track of all the information you get

i dont want big dumb arrows showing me where to go, just a tab with things like "so-and-so told me thing is at this coords"

It's called a pen, scrub.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i just run the game windowed and have notepad open

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's called a pen, scrub.

thats very insensitive of you, what if i don't have hands

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

thats very insensitive of you, what if i don't have hands

dumb bitch baby needs the game to tell him whats important and worth remembering

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

having tthe game record your progress is somehow worse than doing literally the exact same thing by hand, good to know

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

grate deceiver posted:

having tthe game record your progress is somehow worse than doing literally the exact same thing by hand, good to know

we have yet to discover the full details. more to follow as this story develops

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

it adds to the mystery instead of the game literally having a soundbyte that plays saying "updated your star log" which basically says "hey there's a loving secret here hope you don't accidentally skip over it *wink wink*"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

im a captain of a super advanced ancient starship, the last hope of humanity, leading the war against the great space evil

wait a sec there ariloulililililililia, lemme write this piece of information of galactic importance on a loving piece of paper

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

it adds to the mystery instead of the game literally having a soundbyte that plays saying "updated your star log" which basically says "hey there's a loving secret here hope you don't accidentally skip over it *wink wink*"

this guy gets it. either the game logs entire conversations which means you'll have to sift through them every time to find the important bits (might aswell write them down instead), or it only records the important bits where part of the game is figuring out what they are. also the game is designed in a way that you're supposed to use what you know from previous playthroughs in later playthroughs, you're not supposed to complete it first go.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

im a captain of a super advanced ancient starship, the last hope of humanity, leading the war against the great space evil

wait a sec there ariloulililililililia, lemme write this piece of information of galactic importance on a loving piece of paper

lol like in the future no one writes poo poo down. ever seen blade runner? yeah they write poo poo down in there bud

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ffs i dont want a magic butan to solve the game for me. even an updating list of coordinates which get mentioned in conversations would be fine. the game already marks the various species' spheres of influence, is that also too much handholding? maybe i should be figuring the names of stars by comparing the ingame map with an irl starchart, that would sure add to the mystery. what if we had to actually translate the alien languages on paper, wouldnt that be something

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
FTL should get an honorable mention here

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

ffs i dont want a magic butan to solve the game for me. even an updating list of coordinates which get mentioned in conversations would be fine. the game already marks the various species' spheres of influence, is that also too much handholding? maybe i should be figuring the names of stars by comparing the ingame map with an irl starchart, that would sure add to the mystery. what if we had to actually translate the alien languages on paper, wouldnt that be something

shutup and just write the poo poo down you lazy gently caress

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

i wanted to replay it recently, because last time i almost finished it but the doctrinal war hosed me over. i went as far as opening notepad, writing down 'shofixti maidens at' and then i thought wtf, i have to do all this all over again?
havent gone back since

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

maybe i should be figuring the names of stars by comparing the ingame map with an irl starchart, that would sure add to the mystery. what if we had to actually translate the alien languages on paper, wouldnt that be something

star control 2 is a game that trusts the player to decide what is important, perhaps you would enjoy it more if you got an adult to help. i bet you're still only allowed to use round ended scissors.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

i wanted to replay it recently, because last time i almost finished it but the doctrinal war hosed me over. i went as far as opening notepad, writing down 'shofixti maidens at' and then i thought wtf, i have to do all this all over again?
havent gone back since

guess what fucker? if you'd have written poo poo down in the first place you wouldn't have to do things all over again just to get the info, you lazy fucker bitch baby

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

hmm whats this? just found a rainbow world while randomly exploring the galaxy. hmm this couldn't possibly be useful in future playthroughs guess i'll just randomly explore the galaxy again and hope i stumble upon it. because gently caress opening notepad or moving my fat pudgy hands to write. whats this poo poo? loving school?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

sorry that i hurt your feelings by pointing out a flaw in a game you like jimbo, but relying on external memory and having to alt tab out of the game is bad design

grate deceiver posted:

hmm whats this? just found a rainbow world while randomly exploring the galaxy. better record this in the ship's computer in case it's useful in the future

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

grate deceiver posted:

sorry that i hurt your feelings by pointing out a flaw in a game you like jimbo, but relying on external memory and having to alt tab out of the game is bad design

You write it down on paper for the Classic Gaming Feels.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
grate deciever stares dumbfounded at a pen and whispers in a gay falsetto "wheres the alt-tab button" before shoving the cap up his nose and farting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You write it down on paper for the Classic Gaming Feels.

i had enough of these when they were jsut Gaming Feels

also jimbo jaggins something something implied homosexuality idgas

• Locked thread