Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

I've recently started playing Star Control 2 a.k.a. The Ur-Quan Masters.

That's a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

Its basically this, an action-adventure-exploration game. You also get a little fleet and fight other ships in an Asteroids-like combat minigame. There's a bunch of secrets and the game expects you to be taking your own notes when it comes to important information.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

is there a tutorial or something cause i couldnt figure out jack poo poo

Parallax Scroll posted:

i was like what are all these buttons and poo poo and then closed the game

Le sigh.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Casuals begone from this thread please.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'm not far enough to have control of a lander yet. haven't found any land command. but maybe earth is unlandable? maybe that's why it's red, idk

edit: yeah i guess so. earth makes a fart sound when i select any of the scan options, but i can scan the moon

You should go visit the space station orbiting Earth.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

LaTex Fetish posted:

Played a bit of Ur Quan Masters last night. The game literally tells you what to do first and if you somehow got lost then your dumb as gently caress and I dont feel sorry for you.

Anyway, had a blast talking to the commander on the space station. I named the fleet after my character because he is a cocky bastard. Found a cool alien guy on Pluto and now he is part of my fleet, but he doesn't realize he is my combat-slave thrall :greencube:

Went mining in a couple other star systems, had a good time.

Will report back.

If you let Fwiffo die you are a monster.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

grate deceiver posted:

why does ur quan not have an ingame journal, am i supposed to take physical irl real life notes in the tyool of our lord two thousand and fourteen

The original game came out in 1992 and UQM is a faithful port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

grate deceiver posted:

sorry that i hurt your feelings by pointing out a flaw in a game you like jimbo, but relying on external memory and having to alt tab out of the game is bad design

You write it down on paper for the Classic Gaming Feels.

• Locked thread