Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Prospector is a roguelike about space exploration

Alien Legacy is like a mix of base building, exploration and adenture game. Kinda similar to Star Control in some ways. Its p good imo

Iron Seed is super weird with obscure impenetrable ui and mechanics, but kinda cool atmosphere

As far as modern space games go, there isnt much thats not centered around pewpew lasers and spaceplanes. KSP maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cyber Knight 1 & 2 for snes

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

btw whats up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APP5WcX8v8

looks like a setup for a major disappointment

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Precursors, if you can stand janky as gently caress russian game design (the actual space parts are bad as hell tho)

didnt play very much of it, so i cant say if you get to explore anyones anus

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 30, 2014

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

noctis iv is the purest space exploration game you will ever find op.

noctis iv is the purest space exploration game you will ever find op.

so did someone finally figure out a way to run it in resolutions other than 320x200 or w\e it is?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

no, that's what noctis v is supposed to be (lol, like its ever coming out)

there are some community improved versions - noctis + and noctis ce they're called i think? but i cant find any description of what they actually do and fuk navigating that dumb site

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

why does ur quan not have an ingame journal, am i supposed to take physical irl real life notes in the tyool of our lord two thousand and fourteen

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

wow when i started up my new game i broke out the gel pens and made a depiction of the solar system and doodled 'Star Control II' on the top and am using that as my journal.

im gonna need some pics

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The original game came out in 1992 and UQM is a faithful port.

I know, its still a pain in the rear end.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

that dont make no sense, either way you need to keep track of all the information you get

i dont want big dumb arrows showing me where to go, just a tab with things like "so-and-so told me thing is at this coords"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's called a pen, scrub.

thats very insensitive of you, what if i don't have hands

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

having tthe game record your progress is somehow worse than doing literally the exact same thing by hand, good to know

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

im a captain of a super advanced ancient starship, the last hope of humanity, leading the war against the great space evil

wait a sec there ariloulililililililia, lemme write this piece of information of galactic importance on a loving piece of paper

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ffs i dont want a magic butan to solve the game for me. even an updating list of coordinates which get mentioned in conversations would be fine. the game already marks the various species' spheres of influence, is that also too much handholding? maybe i should be figuring the names of stars by comparing the ingame map with an irl starchart, that would sure add to the mystery. what if we had to actually translate the alien languages on paper, wouldnt that be something

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

i wanted to replay it recently, because last time i almost finished it but the doctrinal war hosed me over. i went as far as opening notepad, writing down 'shofixti maidens at' and then i thought wtf, i have to do all this all over again?
havent gone back since

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

sorry that i hurt your feelings by pointing out a flaw in a game you like jimbo, but relying on external memory and having to alt tab out of the game is bad design

grate deceiver posted:

hmm whats this? just found a rainbow world while randomly exploring the galaxy. better record this in the ship's computer in case it's useful in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You write it down on paper for the Classic Gaming Feels.

i had enough of these when they were jsut Gaming Feels

also jimbo jaggins something something implied homosexuality idgas

• Locked thread