Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

space games own, i will check some of these out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the metroid games are about exploring planets

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

tradewars 2002

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

knytt

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ralp posted:

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

is there a tutorial or something cause i couldnt figure out jack poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was like what are all these buttons and poo poo and then closed the game

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i thought it was a strategy game

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I guess ill try it again. last time i played it was probably close to a decade ago

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Widestancer posted:

Back when manuals were substantive and worth reading there were no tutorials

:corsair:

i don't have the patience for that poo poo anymore :corsair:

but the game sounds neat so i'll put some more effort into it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ok im gonna try urquan masters now

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i don't remember this at all

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i got to earth, this is definitely further than i got before

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this game isn't on steam but i read the manual that comes with it

trying to figure out how to land atm

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm not far enough to have control of a lander yet. haven't found any land command. but maybe earth is unlandable? maybe that's why it's red, idk

edit: yeah i guess so. earth makes a fart sound when i select any of the scan options, but i can scan the moon

ok i guess i figured landing out

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 3, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You should go visit the space station orbiting Earth.

did that, at the moon now

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm over the hump maybe? i'm doing things in the game

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you can play this w one hand

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

Played a bit of Ur Quan Masters last night. The game literally tells you what to do first and if you somehow got lost then your dumb as gently caress and I dont feel sorry for you.

Anyway, had a blast talking to the commander on the space station. I named the fleet after my character because he is a cocky bastard. Found a cool alien guy on Pluto and now he is part of my fleet, but he doesn't realize he is my combat-slave thrall :greencube:

Went mining in a couple other star systems, had a good time.

Will report back.

yeah it turns out i hadn't ever played ur-quan masters or star control 2 before. i was mixing it up with some other space game that had an overly complicated interface

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i don't think so. looks like an interesting game though

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Kurnugia posted:

Star Control 3! Just look at those graphics. The graphics.

lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i just run the game windowed and have notepad open

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ralp posted:

better tag for a good thread.

appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock