Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doesn't have to be 'real' planets and such. Looking for fun sci-fi game where I can do exploration in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ralp posted:

I've recently started playing Star Control 2 a.k.a. The Ur-Quan Masters.

Didn't realize what you meant until i got to the bottom of the wiki page. yeah, this looks pretty tight and its probably a good game if people are using their own time to make an open source port of it

i've also never heard of it (or cant remember it) despite it being claimed as one of the best pc games evar

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

depending on what kind of exploration you are looking for theres this program called i think "space engine" which basically lets you zoom around the universe and check out planets and stuff. it uses actually astronomical data where it can but if you go far enough out it uses procedurally generated star systems and stuff. it's pretty fun to mess around with if you are a fan of space

I am but is there anything else to do or is it just like 'no-clip' only for real life?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

are the first two elites worth playing now?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

this looks like a shmup and bullet hell mashup and i'm shooting more towards exploration but I will give this a shot anyway since it is free

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

as your Game Advisor I recommend it strongly, it's fun

alright, i'll take your word for it :p

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Soral posted:

mario galaxy, op

lol get this earth poo poo outta my spaceship

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Its basically this, an action-adventure-exploration game. You also get a little fleet and fight other ships in an Asteroids-like combat minigame. There's a bunch of secrets and the game expects you to be taking your own notes when it comes to important information.

drat I remember doing this for morrowind and actually breaking out the map they gave me to find my way around.

gosh, I'm pretty hyped for this game now.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Average Bear posted:

^^i worked so hard on this joke

star citizen

haha good one :)

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

real gamers dont need tutorials

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

its actually pretty drat funny that this scrub doesnt even know what the transorbital spectromancer button does

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Played a bit of Ur Quan Masters last night. The game literally tells you what to do first and if you somehow got lost then your dumb as gently caress and I dont feel sorry for you.

Anyway, had a blast talking to the commander on the space station. I named the fleet after my character because he is a cocky bastard. Found a cool alien guy on Pluto and now he is part of my fleet, but he doesn't realize he is my combat-slave thrall :greencube:

Went mining in a couple other star systems, had a good time.

Will report back.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

wow when i started up my new game i broke out the gel pens and made a depiction of the solar system and doodled 'Star Control II' on the top and am using that as my journal.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

when the first alien I found gave me the coordinates to his star system I wrote them down and said "Updated my Journal" out loud in Nameless One's voice

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

having tthe game record your progress is somehow worse than doing literally the exact same thing by hand, good to know

it adds to the mystery instead of the game literally having a soundbyte that plays saying "updated your star log" which basically says "hey there's a loving secret here hope you don't accidentally skip over it *wink wink*"

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

im a captain of a super advanced ancient starship, the last hope of humanity, leading the war against the great space evil

wait a sec there ariloulililililililia, lemme write this piece of information of galactic importance on a loving piece of paper

lol like in the future no one writes poo poo down. ever seen blade runner? yeah they write poo poo down in there bud

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

ffs i dont want a magic butan to solve the game for me. even an updating list of coordinates which get mentioned in conversations would be fine. the game already marks the various species' spheres of influence, is that also too much handholding? maybe i should be figuring the names of stars by comparing the ingame map with an irl starchart, that would sure add to the mystery. what if we had to actually translate the alien languages on paper, wouldnt that be something

shutup and just write the poo poo down you lazy gently caress

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Yeah, you guys know how I made Fwiffo my combat thrall? Well I made their whole race my combat thralls now. Went to liberate their planet, but they wouldn't hold up their end of the bargain and peacefully join the Empire of Zelnick (my captain's name), so I forced them to join by telling them I would release The Ultimate Evil upon them once again.

Found a cool dude in Alpha Centauri's system who traded information, but I don't have any cool information yet.

I found a poo poo load of radioactive materials last night, though, so I built a lot of guns on my flagship and bought a lot more surface-exploration ships

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I found some friends named the Zok-Foq-Pik and they have requested my help, but I myself am in need of help. That's where you guys come in: I have very little fuel left and not enough to make it back to the station near Earth.

I have multiple saves, but don't really want to backtrack unless I really, really, have to. Is there a way to create fuel somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

If you run out of fuel a Melnorme (the orange info brokers) will come along and either sell or give you some but you might have to sell some ship modules.

Sweet, that sounds like something they would do. I'll try that out when I get back home.

I was just mindlessly auto-piloting home and then the game was like 'Out Of Fuel' and I instinctively reloaded my previous save. I guess I should've just waited around.

• Locked thread