Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've recently started playing Star Control 2 a.k.a. The Ur-Quan Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LaTex Fetish posted:

i've also never heard of it (or cant remember it) despite it being claimed as one of the best pc games evar

I don't think I ever heard of it back when it came out but I tried playing it a couple times recently (within ~5 years) and I couldn't get into it because I had no idea what kind of game it was nor (therefore) what I was supposed to be doing. It's not an RPG or action/dogfighting or a trading/gathering/economy game, but it tricked me into thinking it was. Now I think it's an adventure game with an in-game time limit and it's finally clicking.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Wait so what do you do in it, I thought it was a 4x game or something.

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your lander can shoot too. somehow i didn't realize this for a long time, likely to the dismay of the spathi and melnorme

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome! To the Inaugural IMp Zone Let's Play Series!!

* A * B * S * O * L * U * T * E * L * Y * N O Spoi;ers!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Pumroy posted:

yeah but once you get locked out of spaathi butt missiles you should be able to get thraddash ships and those things kill all other ships pretty much instantly because the ai is dumb as bones.

not much use in the last fight though.

I stuck one blaster on the rear end of my flagship with one guidance thing or maybe two and I was using that for fighting everyone. I started a new game since then though because I spent too much time dilly-dallying.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An in-game journal would be important if the universe were randomly generated but the stars and planets and aliens always are in the same places, so I like that they make it a matter of actual deduction and investigation for the player rather than an in-game knowledge flag or something.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
better tag for a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you hang around in hyperspace near zoq-fot-pik territory you might also get unwelcome visitors too though, so be careful! not to mention the ever-peaceful slylandro probes

• Locked thread