Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

(Also although it feels like the most 70s sitcom in the world, Keeping Up Appearances is actually from the 90s)

Speaking of BBC sitcoms from the 1970s, after last week's episode my dad was telling me how when he was a kid he would have liked John Le Mesurier to play the Doctor (even though he would've been really similar to Pertwee) and it got me thinking, who better than Capaldi to play Frazer in the forthcoming Dad's Army remake movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed it, it was fun. Would watch it again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the Daleks are only scary when they're just... constantly advancing. Like, they're dorky things made out what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s no matter what, but when done right they're nigh-unstoppable murder machines made out of what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s.

They're tanks, basically. Tanks than can screech at you while they're shooting you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

You mean killing Torvic and burning the body, then making a deal with New Adventures Death to let the Master take the heat for it? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Why the gently caress is there a penguin? :confused:

He's not really a penguin; he's a shape-changing extra-terrestrial who chooses to look like one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChad posted:

Probably been asked a million times but could I get a short list of some of the better classic eps? Preferably 5th doctor on (and three) as I've seen some Hartnell, 2 and Baker.

For Three, check out season ten, which was Pertwee's first outing as the Doctor: "Spearhead from Space", "The Silurians", "The Ambassadors of Death" and "Inferno". You might also like "Terror of the Autons" (the first appearance of the Master), "The Three Doctors" (the first multi-Doctor story), "The Green Death" and "The Time Warrior" (the first appearance of Sarah Jane Smith). Few of Pertwee's Dalek stories were especially good, unfortunately, but off the top of my head I'm not sure any of them were irretrievably terrible.

For Five, the best stories are probably "Kinda", "Snakedance", the Black Guardian trilogy ("Mawdryn Undead", "Terminus" and "Enlightenment") and "The Caves of Androzani" (Davison's last story).

You might as well watch "Earthshock" for Five. I think it's probably the single most overrated story of the 1980s, but I suppose it's an important one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Meanwhile my ThirdDoctorAthon slooooooowly creeps onwards ever more and I've gotten (back) to the Three Doctors.

I adore the interactions between Three and Two. I really do. I wish we could just have had an entire season of them dicking around.

I also enjoy how Omega gets progressively more frustrated with them throughout the episode.

"Are you sure you are both of the same intelligence?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

armoredgorilla posted:

And introducing as The Doctor ... Jerry O'Connell!

Sliders was roughly what I imagine an American take on Doctor Who in the 1990s might have looked like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Delivery McGee posted:

I've started rewatching from "Rose" and now I'm wondering if they're going to work the Torchwood crew's first appearances as bit-part-with-the-same-name-but-not-the-same-person (specifically, Gwen and Tosh, though I suppose Dr. Sato may have been retconned to actually Tosh working undercover) into this whole thing. Or has that already come up in the non-TV media?

I was never really able to get into Torchwood but I'm fairly sure a retcon revealed that Dr Sato from "Aliens of London" / "World War Three" and Tosh were one in the same. In the same way, an off-hand comment from Martha early in season three identifies Freema Agyeman's character (a Torchwood agent killed by the Cybermen in "Army of Ghosts") as her cousin, Adeola, and a similar remark by the Doctor in "Journey's End" identifies Gwen as a descendent of Gwyneth from "The Unquiet Dead" (though Davies had already suggested that this was the case after Eve Myles was cast in Torchwood).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that one is probably more embarrassing than the most embarrassing line in Doctor Who, it is actually that bad.

The worst thing is that they obviously gave the character that name entirely for the sake of that stupid, stupid pun.

Astroman posted:

1) "Ace always had to have sex in every NA novel." Reminder that when I was rereading and reviewing them (something I will one day get back to, honest!) Ace romance plots weren't as bad as all that. It happened a few times, but the most explicit was Jan in the critically/fan acclaimed Love and War, which was seen as a watershed moment for developing her character from the stasis of a dead tv show. Most people who claim otherwise haven't actually read any of the NAs.

I think it's more common in the Past Doctor Adventures line BBC Books published after they recovered the licence. Maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They vary, but they tend to be very honest and not just a pile of luvvies.

I haven't listened to many commentaries (I enjoy the info text, mainly) but my favourite is probably the one McGann and McCoy did for the special edition release of the movie.

There's this great bit where Eric Roberts comes out in Time Lord robes, does the, "I always... dreeeeeessssss for the occasion!" line, and McGann groans and says something like, "Do you think those stairs are gonna light up when he steps on them?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy "The Visitation" a lot. Like most of Saward's scripts it follows a particular formula, but the elements thereof are tweaked just enough - in a way I can't quite put my finger on - to make it distinctive compared to, say, "Earthshock" or "Revelation of the Daleks".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a factoid about "The Visitation": Saward's working title, which apparently went unchanged until the last minute, was "Invasion of the Plague Men".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

(This "nobody wants to work on Doctor Who" thing is how Andrew Cartmel somehow ended up becoming script editor in 1987 despite at the time working as a CAD software developer; the sum total of his writing experience was two unproduced scripts and attending a few BBC workshops. He's a pretty good writer and there's a reason his unproduced scripts got him an agent, but it's not unlike appointing a Football Manager grognard to be the next England manager because nobody else wants to do it.)

He got the job just by asking, I believe.

• Locked thread