Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
He was dead already I was saving us...

Massive love for this doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Everything this Doctor says is pure gold. Capaldi is just the best...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

An anti climax every once in a while is good for my hearts... Heh

But wait, a twist!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

gently caress me, Clara has a personality and character now? Get out of town!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Even the music isn't shite... I'm not used to this

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Doctor making someone else die for his own ends again. Still a bastard. Good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sup Missy you weird faced lady

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

So Missy wasn't a one time thing?

She's the bad wolf for this season

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There must be more than that... Please...

This ep man, this loving ep.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

You... Are a good dalek. This is Capaldi's Ecclestone moment

New companion!

Fake out!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So that was legit brilliant. Holy poo poo what a good ep. And a camp-it-up Robin Hood medieval bit of nonsense next week? Yay!

Glad Wheatley got a decent episode to direct after the stinker of the first.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So Missy is harvesting the souls of all of those who the Doctor has coerced into killing themselves. It's going to be another season about The Soul of the Doctor (tm).

"I don't kill people, I just get other people to do it for me!"

"Think of the people you have let die, Doctor. You're a monster!"

"Oh no, I'm a monster! And yet not."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Star Platinum posted:

Is it too early to call Capaldi my favorite Doctor?

So far he has leaped up the charts in my book and is fast creeping up on McGann and Davison. He's just so magnetic.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This was way better than Dalek just because it was filled with real actors and a companion who wasn't just a big faced blank slate. I watched Dalek again recently and found the only good things to be the Doctor and the Dalek's interactions. All the other cast were decidedly weak.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

HauntedRobot posted:

Great episode but one nitpick, what happened to the liquidised human goop they were covered in between that scene and the next one? They were suddenly bone dry and cleaned up, unless I missed the explanation when my cat got spooked and jumped off the back of the sofa directly onto my nuts.

How did they get deminaturised from inside the Dalek?

Who gives a gently caress, it would've been boring to explain anyway.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Doakes posted:

I thought one of the guys with Michael Smiley was him, I guess he just has a lookalike every week.

Yeah, I think Jerome Flynn's agent would be fired if "anonymous, non-speaking Dalek-fodder" was the best possible job for him.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It was better than the script, I'll give it that. I thought the reuse of antibodies was a little blatant but whatever.

It's a shame we didn't see some past Doctors in the mind meld scene.

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

We're only two episodes in; I'm sure he will be running and jumping and climbing trees before too long.

And in the first episode he was riding a horse in a nightshirt so idk.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Pertwee was 51 when he started Kung-fu'ing Daleks, so don't ever imagine Capaldi won't end up doing the same thing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I was really hoping that the Doctor would bring up or even make a snide comment about the last good Dalek, Dalek Oswin.

This episode had the same issue as the last one to me; that the plot was absurd and it was badly directed and paced and they could've refined it to be much better, but it held together purely on fantastic character moments. That said, I should expect the Doctor to be able to handle a bit of moral complexity and a reasonable view of what makes a person good, but I guess he's in a bit of a fragile place right now.

What was badly directed about it?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Apropos of nothing, a curse on The Fires of Vulcan for making me like Mel :argh:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Noxville posted:

This episode was not a total steaming mound of crap. Huge step up from last week.

He's been in serious roles in several of the films Ben Wheatley (director of this episode) has made. Go watch Kill List.

I like to imagine Smiley is playing the Master in A Field in England.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

It's an incredible disservice to the actor, Samuel Anderson, who is on track to become the Doctor's new companion after Jenna Coleman leaves.

Seriously? They're gonna have a full-time, non-tin-dog, non-cuckolded husband male companion? Cos that would be the best decision since Capaldi's casting.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

That is the rumor, that he's going to be a repeat character on his way to becoming a companion after Christmas. Nothing confirmed, but I'm a blogger, I'm allowed to speculate on unsubstantiated rumors!

And...so, you liked The Fires of Vulcan too, huh? I was blown away by how great Bonnie Langford was when given a good script and asked not to scream all the time!

Yeah, Fires was really nice. Now I want to hear more Langford... which is a terrible state of affairs. I'm listening to The Holy Terror now, which has Colin hanging out with a talking penguin. Gotta love Big Finish.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Am I the only one who would love to see a Mcgann/Capaldi episode?

I would like to see more McGann anything. He's so good in the audio stories, I'd love to see him back on the screens in some way.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Here's something Mr Pink might be a part of: emotional responses to death. In this episode Clara sees first hand two people dying horrible, agonising deaths and hears the results of hundreds more. And yet, when she comes out of the closet, you barely recognise any emotional repercussions. When Pink is asked about whoever he killed, he cries in front of school kids. I hope that they make something of the different reactions.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Speaking of which, I like how Capaldi just drops Clara off at the end of each episode. It means decades of eventual Big Finish stories with a million different companions, each more fantastic than the last!

Please?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Midnight is for serious the only episode to ever legitimately frighten me

Midnight has some great bits, but I found it let down by its ridiculous wordiness, and the "we're space-travelling human in the future, but are also from Bromley" passengers were painful.

Also, it sticks in my craw that it's a Donna-lite episode, as we didn't get nearly enough Donna for my liking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

jng2058 posted:

So I went a little nuts during all those Big Finish sales not too long ago, and one of the stories that fell into my lap during my buying frenzy was The Holy Terror. Which is an interesting enough story after a fashion, but I'm having a hard time with just one teensy tiny thing.

Why the gently caress is there a penguin? :confused:

I just finished that one during my lunch break actually. I wasn't totally sold by it initially, but it has a really nice final third. Frobisher is fun though and I wish there was more of him.

I think I'm gonna take Invaders From Mars and Chimes of Midnight next, to reignite my Eighth Doctor love - Dark Eyes was loving fantastic.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

People still give a poo poo about show ratings? I thought those were generally useless when you consider all the various forms and ways someone can watch their favorites now.

Poor ratings killed Who before, it can do it again.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Moffat's successor will be Rob Shearman. There's a rumour I can get behind!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

^^ Mark's so busy with everything else. The guy loves the theatre too much to step away and run a show like Doctor Who for five years. Though I wouldn't put it past him to burn himself out. He's a bit of a workaholic.

Jurgan posted:

Careful- just because someone makes good episodes doesn't mean he'll be a good showrunner. Remember who wrote Blink and The Doctor Dances.

Well then you want a showrunner who doesn't write and go back to script editors.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Get Storm Warning and The Chimes of Midnight for him. Storm Warning is the first of 8s Big Finish adventures, and introduces you to Charley Pollard, his companion. It's necessary to have heard Storm Warning to understand part of The Chimes of Midnight, which is so loving good it's not even funny. Also it takes place on Christmas, so it's a thematic gift.

I'm really enjoying Invaders From Mars. Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson, Mark Gatiss and Paul McGann :allears:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Idris Elba was being bandied around seriously for a while and it was really cool.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

No he wasn't. Maybe some people seriously believed but anyone with the briefest understanding of the BBC, Doctor Who, acting or the entertainment industry in general laughed off that suggestion as being loving ludicrous on many levels.

People laughed off Capaldi too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Goddamn Storm Warning is shite.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Storm Warning is one of my favorite stories, and I will admit there are some flaws. I hate the voice modulation on the aliens as it grated on my ears. I hate how most of the first episode is the Doctor talking to himself as he describes the Vortisaur attack. There’s a good bit of padding in Episodes 2 and 3 with “the mysterious stranger” and outlining the backstory of the aliens. But McGann sparkles and so does India Fisher, and aside from the human “villain” the supporting cast is solid.

What don’t you care for about it?

The Doctor and Charley are performed wonderfully, no doubt about it, but it's so loving boring. It's full of waffle and padding and a horrible "Doctor talks to himself because he has no companion" contrivance that really grates. The rest of the crew aren't particularly memorable either, and the aliens are weak and sound terrible. The ending is a damp squib too and they spend ages setting up the aliens, only for it to all come crashing down in a bloody fist fight with an alien in a headlock!

The writing is just generally inane: "hear that beating in your chest... this is what it feels like to be ALIVE!!!" etc. And the masses of exposition the Doctor spouts is stunning, you'd barely know he has a character at all.

Most galling of all is the lack of understanding of radio shorthand. Instead of saying:" Doctor, watch out!" and then hearing the clink of an axe hitting a metal bar, you get: "Oh no, he has a large, red fire axe with a smooth, slightly worn handle and blade as sharp as the wit of a man I once met in Marrakesh! And look behind you Doctor, it's something else it will take me ages to describe for no reason!" It just drags the flimsy story out and gets really tiresome.

I'm quite annoyed by it, especially after just listening to The Holy Terror and Invaders From Mars. It's Chimes of Midnight up next though, and I've heard very good things...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Having not listened to it, I'll assume this is Eight talking, because that sounds like Eight.

If so, it's pretty much eighth_doctor.txt, so I'd be okay with it.

If it's not, welp.

Yeah, it's Eight. Normally you can get behind his sense of adventure, but it's so stupidly on the nose and goes on for a paragraph that it becomes corny rather than exciting.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

State of Decay was really loving weird, but very cool. On another Gormenghast note, The Holy Terror was like if the Doctor just arrived in Prunesqualors living room one day and went about trying to discover who killed Nanny Slagg.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tim Burns Effect posted:

You're really not gonna like Zagreus then...

Possibly... liking Chimes of Midnight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I listened to The Light at the End as my first Big Finish story. Suffice to say, I was confused as gently caress. I'm really excited about going back to it, but I want to put it off as long as possible so I can absorb some more of the other Doctor's stuff - I've never listened to a single Fourth Doctor story yet, for example.

• Locked thread