Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mister Macys posted:

Obscure "Tea Party raver" joke?

I've heard the song and everything and thought maybe there were neon rings in the video, but nope.

Thought process:
Turn Down for What is a club song
Clubs are kind of like the new raves
People in the 90's wore glow sticks at raves
Boom, youth-targeted political ad.

Still not as pathetic as "Grr! I'm Obamacare!"

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day: "I am a little shocked quite frankly looking at the AP course in American history that's being taught in high schools across out country right now...There's only two paragraphs in there about George Washington. George Washington! Little or nothing about Dr. Martin Luther King...I think most people when they finish that course, they'd be ready to go sign up for ISIS. I mean, this is what we're doing to the young people in our nation...We have got to stop crucifying ourselves. Have we made mistakes as a nation? Of course we have. Why? Because we're people. And all people make mistakes." ~ Ben Carson.

Slavery? Just people being people.

Joementum posted:

College Republicans try their hand at reaching young, female voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOppsQJtL2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

The Warszawa posted:

Secret Service director is resigning per the NYT.

Wow. I'm so used to media blowing things out of proportion that I didn't think the Secret Service was actually screwing up that bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No they screwed up super bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Cheekio posted:

Wow. I'm so used to media blowing things out of proportion that I didn't think the Secret Service was actually screwing up that bad.

Four major lapses in security coming to light in quick succession is pretty bad.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Four major lapses in security coming to light in quick succession is pretty bad.

And these are just the ones we know about. Where theres a tip, theres an iceberg.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cheekio posted:

One of the lapse of securities is because of the Director's assistant needing help with an angry neighbor so yeah this seems expected now.

Edit: Are people forgetting about the State Dinner incident because that counts too.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm really starting to wonder how much they cared about Obama's safety. If you put everything together, it really seems like that was their last concern.
gently caress, I sound like Glen Beck, but how does this happen?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
They just mad Obama put a kibosh on their frequent booze and hooker parties.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: Are people forgetting about the State Dinner incident because that counts too.

I don't know what this is; I was thinking of the 2 fence jumpers, the elevator incident, and the 2011 shots fired.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

I don't know what this is; I was thinking of the 2 fence jumpers, the elevator incident, and the 2011 shots fired.

A couple successfully crashed a State Department dinner uninvited, though I forget exactly how far in they got before the Secret Service finally tumbled to them not supposing to be there.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Was there a leadership turnover in the Secret Service after the whole Colombian hookers debacle, or is this still the same leadership?

An individual catastrophic failure should lead to resignation of the director (President killed in the White House because 20 armed gunmen got in there unopposed somehow), even if an underling was the one who actually screwed up, the chief by extension screwed up by having someone so unreliable there and must fall on the sword.

A series of failures (guy shooting out White House windows, guy getting deep into the White House and tackling a SS agent etc.) are definitely the fault of the chief as well as any involved underlings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Nope in fact the SS supervisor who recently left a bullet in a hotel room with his hookup and sent inappropriate images to subordinates was in charge of the investigation into the Colombian hooker scandal. To be fair, you actually have to fight off the pimps in Cartagena.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A couple successfully crashed a State Department dinner uninvited, though I forget exactly how far in they got before the Secret Service finally tumbled to them not supposing to be there.

They were announced by the guy who says everyone's names, took multiple selfies with the VP and with the chief of staff.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 1, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zwabu posted:

Was there a leadership turnover in the Secret Service after the whole Colombian hookers debacle, or is this still the same leadership?

An individual catastrophic failure should lead to resignation of the director (President killed in the White House because 20 armed gunmen got in there unopposed somehow), even if an underling was the one who actually screwed up, the chief by extension screwed up by having someone so unreliable there and must fall on the sword.

A series of failures (guy shooting out White House windows, guy getting deep into the White House and tackling a SS agent etc.) are definitely the fault of the chief as well as any involved underlings.

I believe there is a new chief, the problem is, you can't just put someone new in charge and change a system. You have to actually change the system. Systems aren't good or bad in themselves, but a truism is that they don't change easily. You have to enforce change upon them, and just changing leadership does not change the system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pohl posted:

I believe there is a new chief, the problem is, you can't just put someone new in charge and change a system. You have to actually change the system. Systems aren't good or bad in themselves, but a truism is that they don't change easily. You have to enforce change upon them, and just changing leadership does not change the system.

From what I've read its more the issue that after 9/11 the chief was made a political appointment rather than a bureaucratic one so the SS has a harder time saying "No we can't do that we want to be spergy about security" because the chief knows the president and wants to make the president happy.

Edit: So with the knife guy, the door wasn't locked because the alarm was silenced because the WH usher office was unable to work due to the noise of the alarm and the frequency of it going off. Or at the State Dinner, it was raining and the WH social staffer didn't want the dignitaries standing in the rain outside so they asked the SS to speed up the checks.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pohl posted:

Yeah, but the new chief is implicitly charged with cleaning things up and making necessary changes, both in personnel and systems/rules.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Internet Webguy posted:

They just mad Obama put a kibosh on their frequent booze and hooker parties.

Look, they work hard, that means they have to play hard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also I've been reading that SS got hit hard by sequestration, and I remember not that long ago they said that they were ending lifetime protection for future presidents.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Joementum posted:

College Republicans try their hand at reaching young, female voters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOppsQJtL2M

What's that youtube? Related video? Another pop culture ad? I guess I'll take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Y-utDdrE

:gop:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

borkencode posted:

What's that youtube? Related video? Another pop culture ad? I guess I'll take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Y-utDdrE

:gop:

How the gently caress is this even real?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also I've been reading that SS got hit hard by sequestration, and I remember not that long ago they said that they were ending lifetime protection for future presidents.

Lifetime protection was reinstated last year

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Lifetime protection was reinstated last year

A lot of people hate Dick Cheney and George Bush. Go figure.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pohl posted:

College Republicans, possibly the only group of people dumber than literally everyone else.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm not quite sure how Republicans could get more tone deaf than they now appear to be, but ~*~nature finds a way~*~

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Because when I think of people with sound, well-reasoned opinions on governmental philosophies, my mind immediately goes to "reality show participants".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

If a candidate is a brand, is it too illogical to label the brand as fat, ugly, and stupid?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
A) Ed Henry is still a little poo poo
B) He did manage to get a good point out of Josh Earnest- The White House didn't know about the Contractor w/a gun incident until minutes before it went public.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

College Republicans, possibly the only group of people dumber than literally everyone else.

They're pretty much the group most in need of a wedgy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

I'm really starting to wonder how much they cared about Obama's safety. If you put everything together, it really seems like that was their last concern.
gently caress, I sound like Glen Beck, but how does this happen?

Which is odd because there was a recent book by an ex-secret service agent and he said that the only democrats that treated SS agents decently were the Obama's. Apparently the Clinton's treated them like poo poo and ignored like 90% of their security requests, Carter was like that but not as bad, while all the republicans treated them fairly well and took their concerns seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Which is odd because there was a recent book by an ex-secret service agent and he said that the only democrats that treated SS agents decently were the Obama's. Apparently the Clinton's treated them like poo poo and ignored like 90% of their security requests, Carter was like that but not as bad, while all the republicans treated them fairly well and took their concerns seriously.

Anecdotal as poo poo but in my experience, Republican politicians are a lot nicer and personable than Democrats in person.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Anecdotal as poo poo but in my experience, Republican politicians are a lot nicer and personable than Democrats in person.

Unless the Democrat has worked their way up from the ground. Working-class democrats are the best politicians.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Since the Birthers went on hiatus, there's a new theory that Michelle Obama is actually a man.

Hmmm...
  • Born with an appendix which she probably doesn't even use
  • Exercises but also eats? Whose side is she on?
  • Never been seen in the same room as Princess Diana, just saying
  • Gets her nails trimmed over and over again. Why all the identity changing?
  • Has a skeleton living inside of her
  • Attended Princeton with AGENT FOX MULDER
  • Zodiac sign: Capricorn, represented by a sea-goat as in CONSPIRA-SEA-GOAT
  • Is probably a PUPPET controlled by Marc Jacobs but wears a lot of Jason Wu

WAKE UP AMERICA.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Everblight posted:

Since the Birthers went on hiatus, there's a new theory that Michelle Obama is actually a man.

Hmmm...
  • Born with an appendix which she probably doesn't even use
  • Exercises but also eats? Whose side is she on?
  • Never been seen in the same room as Princess Diana, just saying
  • Gets her nails trimmed over and over again. Why all the identity changing?
  • Has a skeleton living inside of her
  • Attended Princeton with AGENT FOX MULDER
  • Zodiac sign: Capricorn, represented by a sea-goat as in CONSPIRA-SEA-GOAT
  • Is probably a PUPPET controlled by Marc Jacobs but wears a lot of Jason Wu

WAKE UP AMERICA.

That isn't a new theory. There are some great youtube theories about Michelle being a man.
By great, I mean horrible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvuulZPbfBg

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

There was also "Obama chose a mannish wife because he cannot come out as gay until after his presidential term is up".

The Right wishes it could land a wife as bangable as Michelle

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 1, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

There was also "Obama chose a mannish wife because he cannot come out as gay until after his presidential term is up".

The Right wishes it could land a wife as bangable as Michelle

Why would they want to marry the hired help?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

:thurman:

Strom Thurmond, of course, chose to have his cake and gently caress it too.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

^^^ You edited that in, and I'm glad you did. I borrowed the slam-dunk. :hfive:

Trabisnikof posted:

I think history proves they wouldn't marry her, but if she were a slave they would gently caress her. Go America. :thurman:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In good news, Michael Dunn was just found guilty of first degree murder for the death of Jordan Davis in his retrial.

For those of you who don't recall, 17 year old Jordan was in the back seat of a SUV that parked next to 45 year old Dunn at a gas station. Dunn ordered the teens to turn their music down, when they didn't Dunn screamed "You can't talk to me like that" and drew a 9mm pistol, firing 10 shots at the SUV as it drove off. 3 struck Davis in the liver and lungs, killing him as he drowned on his own blood. Dunn then resumed waiting for his fiancée to leave the gas station, went back to his hotel room and ordered a pizza. He didn't bother mentioning the incident to anyone until the police tracked him down 2 days later, where he invoked the state's "Stand Your Ground". At trial Dunn contradicted his own testimony and recorded evidence multiple times, and maintained Davis had exited the vehicle and pointed a shotgun at him (contradicted by video and forensic evidence). He was convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder for shooting at the other teens in the car, and had a hung jury on Davis, this indicating that the lesson to take from this was he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being teenagers and then he could have walked.

Despite conviction at retrial, Dunn maintains he is the victim here for defending himself from Davis

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

In good news, Michael Dunn was just found guilty of first degree murder for the death of Jordan Davis in his retrial.
This happened at a gas station I'm used before, and I've eaten at the Loop in the parking lot where a bunch of the witnesses were parked too. This poo poo happened in my metaphorical backyard. I've... been following this closely, to say the least.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fried Chicken posted:

For those of you who don't recall, 17 year old Jordan was in the back seat of a SUV that parked next to 45 year old Dunn at a gas station. Dunn ordered the teens to turn their music down, when they didn't Dunn screamed "You can't talk to me like that" and drew a 9mm pistol, firing 10 shots at the SUV as it drove off. 3 struck Davis in the liver and lungs, killing him as he drowned on his own blood. Dunn then resumed waiting for his fiancée to leave the gas station, went back to his hotel room and ordered a pizza. He didn't bother mentioning the incident to anyone until the police tracked him down 2 days later, where he invoked the state's "Stand Your Ground". At trial Dunn contradicted his own testimony and recorded evidence multiple times, and maintained Davis had exited the vehicle and pointed a shotgun at him (contradicted by video and forensic evidence). He was convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder for shooting at the other teens in the car, and had a hung jury on Davis, this indicating that the lesson to take from this was he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being teenagers and then he could have walked.

Despite conviction at retrial, Dunn maintains he is the victim here for defending himself from Davis

Were the other teens also black? Because I really wanted to edit your post to "he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being black teenagers" because really, that is why he almost got off the actual murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Khisanth Magus posted:

Were the other teens also black?
Yessir.

The jury was hung in the first trial because they were concerned as to whether the shooting warranted a first degree murder charge or not. They were all on the record that they would have convicted on second degree murder. I am surprised and pleased that he got the full punishment.