Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I was on vacation for a week and then had to move, so I've been catching up on US politics and jesus gently caress, a black man can't even wear taupe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

That roughly describes Thailand. poo poo works before, during and after coups and street wars because everyone's so used to it that the permanent bureaucracy just works around it.

:smuggo:

Yes, well, our bureaucracy disproportionately benefits black women bureaucrats, so ours is more an issue of waiting or changing that fact.

E:

Kellsterik posted:

Brings a whole new meaning to "starving the beast".

You know the movie Brazil, where we get to view the department with the door open and closed? Well, that door's name is 'pay'. Think of it as more a transition to a 20-hour annual work week for government employees with the same pay and benefits, only some weeks receive more pay and benefits than others.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 31, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I was on vacation for a week and then had to move, so I've been catching up on US politics and jesus gently caress, a black man can't even wear taupe?

Why would anyone ever willingly catch up on US politics?

You had the chance to leave it all behind, man. Should've taken it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Almost nine years later and it's still the number one thing I keep up with from home. Number two are stories about Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, of course.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

enraged_camel posted:

Why would anyone ever willingly catch up on US politics?

You had the chance to leave it all behind, man. Should've taken it.

Hey, man, I made that mistake once with Breaking Bad and then I heard about how "you're goddamn right" for months. Never again. I'm gonna watch the end of US Politics live.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

And a lot of people who work for the federal government. I suppose not paying government employees for a few months every year is one way towards small government.

Although pretty much after every government shutdown, they pass a bill to pay the federal employees for the time they would have worked, but didn't due to the shutdown. I know a guy, a federal employee, who had scheduled vacation the weeks of the shutdown, and he not only got paid for the time the government was shutdown, but he got to keep his vacation days. So the shutdown benefited at least one other person than Ted Cruz.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wish you people would just accept that Fried Chicken made a sensible title that he could get through the mods. The perfect is the enemy of the good you know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think it's more that like me, lots of people have never seen a president wear a light colored suit in their life. I thought it was a photoshop at first.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

ReindeerF posted:

I dig that total forced collapse for no reason is like an annual budgetary issue for Americans now, like the stupid coups in Thailand. Oh hey guys when is our next total political failure? Let me know so I can save up - THX!

If you wondered what it's like living in the developing world, WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

I remember you sarcastically talking about how exciting it was that America was on it's way to becoming a developing nation, around 7 or 8 years ago.

Ha ha ha. :smith:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Warmachine posted:

From what I've seen on the subject, there's a heck of a lot of Dunning-Kruger effect going on with these Call of Duty wannabes. A classic:

Just so everyone's clear this is, quite literally, a mask from the video game Call of Duty: Ghosts

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

I remember you sarcastically talking about how exciting it was that America was on it's way to becoming a developing nation, around 7 or 8 years ago.

Ha ha ha. :smith:
It was sarcasm, it's pathetic to watch a country drive itself into developing world levels of inequality and stupidity and mendacity over absolutely nothing. On the plus side, there will be infinitely more street food and it will get cheaper and cheaper. I hope you enjoy drinking beer at plastic tables in front of the convenience store as well. Go ahead and buy a Honda Click just to get ready, because cars simply won't be affordable for you soon.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I get more of a KOTOR II Darth Nihilus vibe from it. They are afflicted with an insatiable hunger and want to destroy all around them to feed.

There is also probably a joke about being fed by darkness, but I'm not clever enough to make it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ReindeerF posted:

It was sarcasm, it's pathetic to watch a country drive itself into developing world levels of inequality and stupidity and mendacity over absolutely nothing. On the plus side, there will be infinitely more street food and it will get cheaper and cheaper. I hope you enjoy drinking beer at plastic tables in front of the convenience store as well. Go ahead and buy a Honda Click just to get ready, because cars simply won't be affordable for you soon.

Its going to be the rise of the affordable motorcycle :unsmigghh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ReindeerF posted:

I will have you know, sir, that the rural midwest is already like this. Good day.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Something I read/heard about Ferguson was that alot of the residents can't afford cars so the looting and store closures were preventing people from getting staples.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And a lot of people who work for the federal government. I suppose not paying government employees for a few months every year is one way towards small government.

They get paid eventually. Some conservatives/reactionaries threaten to try to fight the efforts to get those workers back-pay, but it's never at serious risk of failing.

Grondoth posted:

I wish you people would just accept that Fried Chicken made a sensible title that he could get through the mods. The perfect is the enemy of the good you know.

Are the mods are well known for their aversion to the word Taupe?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ElMaligno posted:

Its going to be the rise of the affordable motorcycle :unsmigghh:

Smart money don't need no motorcycle, smart money got a bicycle. Cars are for the poors in America.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

Something I read/heard about Ferguson was that alot of the residents can't afford cars so the looting and store closures were preventing people from getting staples.

No? Ferguson is solidly middle class. Plenty of people there have cars and there was never an issue with access to staples. On fact the concern about cars was the reverse - the rich white suburb a 15 minute drive away was freaking the gently caress out that their imagined horde of looters would drive over to their neighborhood.

And man, y'all make impeachment jokes for a month and a half, tan suit jokes for an hour, and I'm supposed to go with the latter? Screw this, I'm going golfing

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

My Imaginary GF posted:

Smart money don't need no motorcycle, smart money got a bicycle. Cars are for the poors in America.
John Titor represent.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

No? Ferguson is solidly middle class. Plenty of people there have cars and there was never an issue with access to staples. On fact the concern about cars was the reverse - the rich white suburb a 15 minute drive away was freaking the gently caress out that their imagined horde of looters would drive over to their neighborhood.

And man, y'all make impeachment jokes for a month and a half, tan suit jokes for an hour, and I'm supposed to go with the latter? Screw this, I'm going golfing

Fox News > Fried Chicken Seen Golfing During Taupegate Crisis, Thread Talks Impeachment

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ReindeerF posted:

John Titor represent.

It always amazes me to see him referred to, as I thought it was a ridiculously obscure early Internet thing.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Beamed posted:

It always amazes me to see him referred to, as I thought it was a ridiculously obscure early Internet thing.

Dude nothing post-2000 is "early internet"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ReindeerF posted:

John Titor represent.
We have already circumvented a number of Titor's predictions so we are likely in an alternate timeline to his at this juncture.

Whether it's a better timeline or not is a question. Perhaps 9/11 and the War on Terror prevented the Civil War he claimed would come. But I'm not sure that's much brighter a future than the one he predicted.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JT Jag posted:

We have already circumvented a number of Titor's predictions so we are likely in an alternate timeline to his at this juncture.

Whether it's a better timeline or not is a question. Perhaps 9/11 and the War on Terror prevented the Civil War he claimed would come. But I'm not sure that's much brighter a future than the one he predicted.

Well we aren't all dead but the civil war could just be delayed depending on the specifics of alterations to the timeline.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sullat posted:

Although pretty much after every government shutdown, they pass a bill to pay the federal employees for the time they would have worked, but didn't due to the shutdown. I know a guy, a federal employee, who had scheduled vacation the weeks of the shutdown, and he not only got paid for the time the government was shutdown, but he got to keep his vacation days. So the shutdown benefited at least one other person than Ted Cruz.

It's all well and good unless you're working for a contractor, in which case you get to choose between burning vacation days or dealing with unpaid time off. Federal employees seemed disappointed when the last shutdown ended.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's all well and good unless you're working for a contractor, in which case you get to choose between burning vacation days or dealing with unpaid time off. Federal employees seemed disappointed when the last shutdown ended.

The federal employees I talked to during the last shutdown were very unhappy, and one woman was in panic mode over losing all of her vacation time.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In the case if my contract (I started in January, so it was before my time), they used the shutdown as an excuse to subcontract all the labor to a glorified IT temp agency, and when the shutdown was over, told all the returning employees they could accept the terms of the subcontractors employment contract or pound sand. People who had been there for over a decade through multiple prime contractors bailed within 6 months. Our most senior person, aside from my boss (who got to keep her position with the prime contractor), started after Thanksgiving last year. All that institutional knowledge, completely down the toilet.

I managed to get promoted from the subcontractor to the prime contractor, to a position that won't be subcontracted out if something like that happens again. But the guys still subcontracted get no PTO time, even for holidays. Of they don't work, they don't get paid. I'm afraid in gonna lose all my staff again if we have another shutdown.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The federal employees I talked to during the last shutdown were very unhappy, and one woman was in panic mode over losing all of her vacation time.

I was scared as hell, but the issue was the debt ceiling loving the world economy via default. Otherwise, it was a mess that was eventually going to be corrected. But I work for the DoD, so we were only out of work for a little less than four days. People who had the whole "don't get sick or you're on furlough" thing hanging over their heads were in a totally different situation. They were working and accumulating related bills, but weren't getting paychecks until the whole thing was over. If it had gone on much longer (sans debt bomb) you'd have started to see real problems for people. I was already spitballing a bridge loan to a co-worker so he could pay his rent if we didn't get paid for awhile.

This whole thing has done a bunch to get people out of the federal workforce. My organization is something like 9% understaffed, and getting worse. I guess this is part of the plan by the GOP to destroy the effectiveness of federal bureaucracy, and it's painful to watch. It does line up with ReindeerF's "Welcome to the Developing World" line, in that you can't have an effective state if you want non-state actors (churchs and business in the eyes of the GOP) to be the real ones in charge.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

quote:

No Drama Obama’s Summer Casual Agenda for America (or What He Didn’t Do On My Summer Vacation)

Try to guess, although it's probably rather obvious.

non-facebook link.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

It's satire and all but Ferguson was not a race riot,there was no riot ugh.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just so everyone's clear this is, quite literally, a mask from the video game Call of Duty: Ghosts

And they all drink Monster and have horrible breath due to all the caffeine. I used to work with these guys when I was in warehouses.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's like smoking. Sure it's fun but at the end of the day it is just a pricey habit and increases your chances dramatically of an early death.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Prester John posted:

Personally, I think the chances of another shutdown are very high. I don't think Boehner's leadership team could put a clean CR right now if they wanted too, which I'm not convinced they do. My read on things is that the wingnut id is furious over the defeat last year and have chalked it up to a combination of Dolchstoss, and cowardice over the totally-not-real apocalypse of breaking the debt ceiling. Boehner will probably decide that at the very least he will need to put up the pretense of adding some poison pill amendments to the CR, and that will be more than enough to get the crazies chirping loudly. Based on how they all behaved last year I would anticipate a sort of feverish groupthink to overtake the House GOP at some point and drive us right off the cliff.

Also if Obama does any sort of executive order about immigration or climate change the resulting screeching will, in my opinion, all but guarantee a shutdown fight. It will be viewed internally (by the wingnuts at least) as a prelude to the impeachment fight that America will now totally want because of this tyrants abuse of power in the name of brown people/fake climate change. The attempt by the GOPe to massage away the impeachment impulse of their own caucus will probably be quickly memory-holed.

Also there is also Ted Cruz to consider, and if he sees any way to raise his own wingnut street cred by triggering another shutdown he will do so faster than you can say "sociopath".

As November approaches I think we are going to start to see some pretty unhinged behavior. Conservatives now fight on behalf of an America that does not exist that demands they bring us back to the glory days that never happened, and their opponents in this are a caricature of Democrats that exists only in their heads. They are furious over the defeat of 2012/the defeat of the shutdown, and the only way the mindset these people have knows how to handle defeat is to double down over and over again.

They believe America deserves to be punished for electing a Kenyan marxist muslim islamo-fascist and they are generally perplexed that they haven't been given more power. In the same way they scream for "tough on crime" laws and punitive justice, they want to get "tough on Government" and punish America. The moment they perceive (note, may not actually exist) a real chance to punish people for rejecting them they will abandon all sense of self preservation and throw everything they have into that effort.

That is my read at least. I am admittedly crazy, so take this all with a grain of salt. That said, I'm just going by how I've seen this sort of situation play out on smaller scales in situations involving people with the exact same mindset.

Edit:If there is a shutdown, I expect it to last until past the elections.

I think this is a fair scenario, but it depends on the numbers. I don't know how many pragmatic conservatives survived the primaries and are in safe districts. At this point in time, there's two years to move past a compromise vote (the vilest of all treasons.) So there's no real primary threat. I'd think the turn-out threat is negligible, given how safe most districts are.

I also don't know if Boehner is in the mood to let a CR pass without a majority of Republican votes. I think he would, because I think the outrage over a month long shut down would flip the house.

The Republicans are going to whip themselves into a frenzy over something, and the active list of immigration, middle east, and golf is pretty weak. They have to pick something fiscally related, because they have to deal with that right now.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

It's like smoking. Sure it's fun but at the end of the day it is just a pricey habit and increases your chances dramatically of an early death.

Smoking is for the poors nowadays. You're not a poors, are you?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

It was sarcasm, it's pathetic to watch a country drive itself into developing world levels of inequality and stupidity and mendacity over absolutely nothing. On the plus side, there will be infinitely more street food and it will get cheaper and cheaper. I hope you enjoy drinking beer at plastic tables in front of the convenience store as well.

Thanks, I feel as though I will :colbert:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Sure, some folks who legitimately care for their jobs were upset that they couldn't do them for a few weeks. That level of morale is mostly uncommon where I am though, and the woman you were talking to was either not a federal employee or misinformed - none of them lost any vacation time or pay during the process. When the CR was eventually passed, there was a whole lot of grumbling from feds about the vacation being over while the contractors with families were relieved to finally be getting paid again.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Smoking is for the poors nowadays. You're not a poors, are you?

If you even have to ask, the answer should be obvious.

:(

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

If you even have to ask, the answer should be obvious.

:(

I should clarify. Smoking cigarettes is for the poors and the help. Smoking real cigars is perfectly acceptible in polite society, if not outright encouraged.

One campaign I was involved with, the office was next to a Turkish cigar lounge and the family of the candidate had done a favor for the owner of the lounge. Some of the best in-kind donations which were made to my campaign committee (impolite to have a real boss reporting what are definitely not cubans).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I was very disappointed that all republicans didn't commit ritual suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Oh thank God for the name change. Now I can read this thread at work again.