Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thread title sucks. Impeach fried chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Obama signing executive orders causes the GOP to do another shutdown right before the elections, then I hope the Pres has plenty of ink.

If this happens I expect to see the GOP take voter disenfranchisement to a whole new level. What better excpet to shutdown voting locations in poor/minority areas than blame any such 'accidents' on a government shutdown?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Warmachine posted:

From what I've seen on the subject, there's a heck of a lot of Dunning-Kruger effect going on with these Call of Duty wannabes. A classic:

Literally American Taliban, only less effective in actual guerrilla warfare.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Police arrest black political candidate for distributing literature on voting rights

If this poo poo was happening in a movie we'd roll our eyes at how heavy handed it was trying to get across its "establishment are the bad guys" message

I can't believe someone used a "if you can't tell me the ordinance you can't arrest me" argument to challenge a cop. This isn't Dungeons and Dragons. There is no Protection From Law Enforcement spell that a citizen can utter that makes police have to leave you alone. Unless you have Power Word Diplomatic Immunity and its required components you don't challenge a cop like this (and I still wouldn't risk it). :psyduck: None of this excuses the cops going overboard but challenging a cop's authority is never a good idea. Unless you're white and have a bunch of people in the area with guns and a desire to kill law enforcement (Bundy ranch) in which case you might get away with it temporarily.

There needs to be a federal law that prohibits "resisting arrest" being charged against anyone unless they were actually being arrested with cause. It also needs to reinforce that resist has to be physical because I'm pretty sure the COTB threads had 'verbal resisting' in some of the more blatant cases of abuse.

Grundulum posted:

Fake edit: the person was asking the officer for an ordinance number, which seems a very different request from being told why you're being detained.

A reasonable request, but I'm going to loving stunned if cops can give the number more often than not unless it's something they deal with on a regular basis.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

I guess they figure people on The Twitters are all progressive enough to support equal pay so they'll customize their messaging to the audience.

If Democrats were as smart as the GOP they'd start buying airtime on Rush Limbaugh to say Republicans have a secret plan to steal all your guns or taking out ads in the Wall Street Journal warning about the GOP's plot to lull everyone into a false state of security then institute communism that was cooked up at last year's Bohemian Grove.

Running anti-GOP ads on Limbaugh's show would be pissing away money. When Santorum was running for reelection and lost, Clear Channel stations in Pittsburgh played an ad about how he pretends to be tough on illegals but had Spanish info on his site (or something stupid) which had Quinn and Rose bashing the poo poo out of it constantly. On their radio program. Which Clear Channel carries (or did, if he's not still around).

If those ads against Santorum worked it was because they were being run on other stations and not as ads for conservative talk radio. It probably helps that Quinn's an extreme rear end in a top hat and Rose is a batshit insane Christian, and they're much less effective speakers than Rush.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Caros posted:

I actually agree with the fictional her that it's superfluous. Don't get me wrong, women get treated like poo poo and we don't enforce the fourteenth amendment as well as we should in many cases, but doubling down and saying 'seriously guys... come on!' doesn't seem like it would have much if any real world impact.

We don't enforce it because racism is over so Roberts won't let some uppity government abuse the people with things like making historically and presently racist misunderstood areas have their voting laws scrutinized by Holder's evil DoJ. :bahgawd:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

And the original dot com bubble was the web 2.0 bubble. The web 2.0 term was being used then to compare new things like javascript sites and full color iamges and flash to "web 1.0" text with a few still pictures of the early and mid 90s.

The dotcom bubble was poo poo like blueridge(?) ecards, a site that sold for several hundred million dollars despite not being worth anything close to that. A current comparison is the absurd valuation of companies like Uber or King.com in the 10-20 billion range. The term "Web 2.0" has nothing to do with the dotcom bubble bursting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I decided to look up some more info on the Heritage guy that wrote the piece and stumbled across this instead:

http://www.nrcruise.com/speakers.htm

Never before have I wanted a boat to sink with no survivors so badly.

It'd be like hearing there was a fire at an ALEC convention and everyone inside burned to death. You'd be sad about the loss of life but you'd also know that the world just became a better place.

karlor posted:

:effort: If you're going to troll, at least try to bring up points that haven't already been refuted in the previous few posts

The free market of posting has spoken and :effort: sells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cool Bear posted:

In this case I do believe it is clear that he was not planning saying "friend of the family in chief" and then corrected himself.

He was planning on saying "negotiator in chief" and he decided that this was a bad thing to say.

This decision that he made is still extremely horrible.

Except he wasn't going to say that, he was going to call Obama a government friend of the family and unfortunately managed to catch himself at the last second. If he hadn't then we could've gotten to see Fox News try to spin the inevitable shitstorm as Democrats making everything about race and how Santorum's being victimized since black people use that word and it's a doulbe standard to not let the oppressed white people use it too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Vote for Lyndon Johnson, or this dumb child will die.

In a terrible M. Night twist, that child grows up to be Hitler Sarah Palin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

I wonder if he'll include the new Ray Rice video as an example of this.

It's amazing how the NFL will go after players for violent acts on the field (or any acts if your James Harrison) but something like this they'd try to bury if at all possible and lightly punish otherwise. Here's hoping Ray Rice suffers a particularly horrific accident one day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I wonder, did he enter Canada in his jihadi costume, or did he travel all the way to the border as Trustworthy White Man and switch things up there to make a point?

I thought so.

His solution is also what, a massive security apparatus that would actively patrol the borders and require tens of thousands of agents? I'm sure this won't come up in any right wing circlejerk interviews he does.

Or that Cleveland's water supply comes straight from Erie without any sort of heavy filtration and purification? Sure it's Cleveland but even they have some standards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

McDowell posted:

In both O'Keefe border crossings he is unarmed, in the Canadian one he has bags labeled 'ricin' I guess we should just ignore how hard it would be for anyone in the Americas to get their hands on high explosives, or for someone without documentation to get heavy weapons (if a jihadi did shoot up a public place how different would that be from any other incident? And poisoning the water supply? That's just part of life in WV). But the Daily Mail does mention he is 'Ebola-infested' to maximize the booga-booga.

It's not like Ricin or explosives are something that's terribly hard to make. Though having fakes also means that if he's walking past any sort of security with a K-9 unit he's rendering it useless because a dog isn't going to care about you carrying flour with 'ricin' taped on the bag or some playdough labeled 'c4' for that matter.

But it wouldn't be O'Keefe if it wasn't just shallow-as-gently caress bullshit for the right wing rage machine to get revved up about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

radical meme posted:

I'm sensing that you don't believe there's any way for the Democrats to win even the messaging battle on this. Which may be true but, to not try at all seems wrong to me as well. I really don't understand the lack of urgency in trying to confirm nominations though.

They'll never get enough people to care about campaign reform for it to happen, because it's too easy to frame it as a free speech issue and ensure enough of the population will be against it as a result. Sanders would've been better off trying to push a corporate entity act, which would've laid out things like a corporation not being a person and thus operating under different rules.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anonymity is also probably protected by the first amendment.

While lots of activity on the internet could give argument against that, Facebook has shown plenty of people are ok with being horrific shits even when their real life info is directly tied to it. I can't imagine how next to impossible it'd be to enforce such a thing though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Besides playing with fire it's flat wrong to respond to words with violence. I don't know about Canada but Holocaust deniers in western Europe have been hit with multi-year sentences for speech or writing. I do know Canada used to have the power to fine or take down writers and websites. Supporters can be cute and claim that's not violent but it's no different than putting your hand over the mouth of a protestor. The U.S. principles of fighting words and obscenity have been weakened over time thanks in part to the internet and I'd like it to stay that way.

If you deny the holocaust or are spouting anti-vaccination propaganda you are actively harming society and you deserve to be shot the gently caress down for it. If Jenny McCarthy was sentenced to life without parole for her anti-vax bullshit and the revival of diseases it's causing it still wouldn't be a sufficient punishment for her actions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a thread about the recent Penn State stuff? I'm really interested to read more about the arguments people are hearing.

Let me sum it up for you:

Penn State students and alum: The NCAA overstepped their authority :reddit:
Everyone else: :fuckoff:

Penn State should've gotten the death penalty.

Cheekio posted:

Probably the most amazing racist thing I've heard. He doesn't have a problem with black voting, it's that he thinks black voting should be done in moderation. Maybe three out of every five black votes should count, or some such.

No no no, he wants educated voting and not just massed of dumb blacks voting because since they're dirty and uneducated they're going to vote for Democrats. He's clearly concerned that those people are just being tricked by democrats because they're too stupid to vote for the GOP! :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

Violence in kind meaning what, here, exactly?

Considering his Sabaton AV I'm guessing he's cool with killing violatent groups like Nazis considering they have an album that's basically ":fap: gently caress yeah kill Hitler, nazis beaten burn them all :fap:"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember when those militias put out a call to mass near the Texas/Mexico border? Well, they now plan to block several border crossings while armed.

Watch idiotic racists start a loving war.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Are people like this capable of admitting fault?

Adrian Peterson couldn't admit fault if you held a gun to his head and filled him full of morphine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

My grandpa disciplined me with a belt a couple of times when I was a kid. Strange to think he might go to prison for doing that these days.

If your grandpa left welts for weeks then he probably could've gone to prison back then too. Beating a child to where you might leave physical scars isn't some newly illegal thing and what Adrian Shitbag did goes far beyond any rational claim of child discipline.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

A lot of the popular belief is that, after his presidency, Obama will become a Supreme Court justice once a vacancy occurs... But is that realistic whatsoever?

I mean, he would still have to be confirmed by Congress, and can you imagine a single Republican voting for him?

I haven't heard "Obama on the Supreme Court" as more than a joke. even here most people are saying it as a "it'd be cool because it'd piss off the GOP" not because goons actually think Obama is even going to be given a second thought if a vacancy opens regardless of who's in the White House at the time.

Though maybe there are people who actually think this, in which case they are weird. Barack Obama is never going to be a SCOTUS justice.

made of bees posted:

Obama would probably not do a lot of good as a justice outside of being on the correct side of a 5-4 split I dunno I think we just like the idea of him getting appointed to a lifelong position just to give conservatives aneurysms.

That's how I understand the DnD consensus.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court finds that whistleblowers have no rights to protection. Justice Obama writes for the majority...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

rear end-Haggis posted:

Now I know there's walleye fishing debates during spawning, that's like the only poo poo, nobody even bitches about spearfishing anymore, but the words you're putting out I have never even heard of, or about, in any context, let alone political. Suggested donations? What even are you talking about, that isn't even a thing.

EDIT: So long as old people living on farms keep being mortal and dying, there's not really going to be a rightward swing in Minnesota much anymore.

People actually argue over this? What the gently caress is wrong with people who want to fish for them during spawnin.? Do they hate the idea of being able to keep catching those fish in the future? :psyduck:

The only time you should through back fish during spawning season is if you catch a carp. Because gently caress carp, they're aquatic locust.

Toasticle posted:

I'm still trying to imagine what the gently caress kind of situation that consists of:
-Child needing a loving knife to eat a bunless hotdog
-Why he would be eating it next to an electrical outlout
-why the knife would even fit it that outlet. A butternife can cut a hotdog and won't fit in outlet I've ever seen unless he's sitting on the dryer and the 220v is within reach. If the knife has a point that can who the hell would give it to a child

Ok I just realized he's dining at grovehaus

My nephew is almost 3 years old and sometimes eats hotdogs without a bun. While sitting in a chair. After someone cuts it in to small pieces for him and hands him the plate. there isn't some complex science behind it. People who give small children metal knives and let them sit by outlets are worse than people who eat pizza (Chicago style excluded I guess) with a fork and knife. You're all a bunch of savages. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

There's also a rule that if Senators buy magazines while traveling, they can only expense the ones, "necessary to stay informed on issues directly related to Senate business". :sweatdrop:

I'd like to think that in the 90s this meant Senators were walking around with Nintendo Power in their bags because they needed to stay informed about violent video games destroying society.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If the best the Democrats can do in 2016 is Hilary loving Clinton then I hope she gets destroyed. She won't, because her husband isn't a complete sack of poo poo and will stump for her and lots of people simply don't want Republicans to win, but really I hope she comes out during the primaries and says "I'm not running, gently caress off, Bill and I are gonna go play with all our money." It'd require not wanting power, something that is rather un-Clinton.

My Imaginary GF posted:

When an organized and well-armed non-Democrat faction exists in our national politics.

You mean like the GOP and its fanatical NRA buddies?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ninjasaurus posted:

Which Republican would you prefer to see as President?

If Clinton gets the nomination then I don't really care. The country deserves a president Ted Cruz and Vice President Rick Santorum if Democrats can't help but nominate the party's most Republican woman they can.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Amergin posted:

Someone explain to me all the white people getting up in arms about Adrian Peterson using (pretty well-accepted in the black community) corporal punishment on his kids?

I thought white folks were supposed to be cognizant of and sensitive to cultural differences and such?

It pains me how little effort you put in to shitposting, yet this will probably get a bunch of idiots arguing for the next 5-6 pages.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JT Jag posted:

There are pretty much only three ways a Supreme Court decision can possibly go based on the current configuration of the Court:

5-4 along party lines
9-0 unanimous decision regarding a no-brainer case that isn't controversial
6-3 with Kagan, Ginsburg and Sotomayor dissenting on a court case that fucks over women, I WONDER WHY

You'll get 6-3 and 7-2 decisions that empower or protect law enforcement too. If civil forfeiture came before the SCOTUS I'd be amazed if it wasn't 8-1 or 7-2 supporting it with maybe RGB and/or Sotomayor against it.

Brannock posted:

Haha, yeah, haha lol... the forums... don't do moderation anymore, lmao. Hot take... blisteringly hot take.

This is A Good Day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

people who make more than $200k from federal government salary:

obama
biden
supreme court justices
boehner

Federal Circuit judges can make over 200k a year as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

But the English are a bunch of savages and need us enlightened Yankees to show them the error of their ways. Preferably by shelling one of their coastal villages. It's worked in Tripoli!

Burn London to the ground (again)?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Varys did nothing wrong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Yup, just wait for a bit for 90s kids start to get old enough into positions of power to start naming projects after things that were cool in their childhood, just how you have the current leaders naming stuff after Star Wars. Then you'll have ironic and unironic GDI/NOD reference, and other games or cartoons.

Maybe one day NASA will have a project titled SMAC/SMAX.

One day we will have a president that creates the Department of Ponies and Fedoras. :v:

loquacius posted:

If you were up on your ASOIAF theorycrafting you'd know that's probably not true :colbert: :spergin: :goonsay:

(Varys is a secret Blackfyre)

I'd say this is the dumbest fan theory but the dumbest one is Varys being a merman.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not old enough to be a senior politician though; that's still a few years off.

I bet Paul Ryan played the gently caress out of C&C when it came out and probably picked NOD constantly while listening to his RATM CDs. :sun:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bloomberg would absolutely be loved by the right if it wasn't for his position on [people who aren't his bodyguards owning] guns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

And you think if he was saying "guns for everyone" instead of "guns for no one," that wouldn't mysteriously be forgotten?

In other news, some hilarious words out of our future Praetorian Guard: http://news.yahoo.com/blackwater-founder-could-stop-isis-025500172--politics.html

I'm completely and utterly 100% behind sending Blackwater to their death against ISIS, with Prince leading the charge. But now that won't happen.

Thanks, Obama. :mad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Watching the Tea Party shift the right's anger from bailouts of lovely crooked bankers into outrage against an Obama bailout of black homeowners that never even happened was an experience so surreal that sometimes I wonder if it really happened or if I just went crazy.

It's almost as if the movement was bankrolled by bilionaires to focus blame on the black democrat instead of the rich parasites who were actually responsible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Senator who told Kirsten Gillibrand that he "likes his girls chubby" was the late Dan Inouye.

On the upside, Obama's nominee of a Confederate judge in Georgia looks to be dead. But don't worry guys, Obama stopped compromising with Republicans! :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ahahahaha Obama is the worst. Thank christ the democrats on judiciary sunk this.

e: lol according to huffpo he's not backing down on nominating this poo poo head despite democrats telling him to gently caress off.

But I've heard in credible places like SomethingAwfulDotCom Forums that he's done playing nice with Republicans. This must be a mistake and Obama really isn't backing a secessionist judge his party is blocking.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Translated: Only 3 people RSVP'd so they had to come up with a good excuse.

Also acceptable: They were going to do this from the get-go unless literally millions of people were seen streaming to the border crossings to protest and even then they'd probably have called it off just so they could cheer on those millions of brave people who won't let the mean cartels/obama/UN/vaccines keep them down.

The dangerous thing is that if these people are making up a bunch of poo poo about the cartels doing this, the cartels might actually take some offense to being make a scapegoat for their border bullshit.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Part of me wants these militia fuckwits to bite off more than they can chew.

But it figures that all that tough guy posturing is just an act, when confronted with real terror from experienced killers, they don't have what it takes.

They're known cowards and hollow trash talkers. Much like how the Oathkeepers are just a white supremacy militia who don't actually care about terrible acts and illegal actions as long as it's happening against minorities like we saw only recently with a city locked down with loving martial law by the hosed up PD.

Caros posted:

Obama didn't close gitmo. Vote for the party who explicitly voted to prevent him from doing so!

:obama: I want to close gitmo
:gop: We'll block the illegally held prisoners from being moved to the US
:obama: Oh, well I guess you win then since we can't just release everybody because... something
:gop: Look at Obama failing to close gitmo like he said he would. :smuggo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

So? He's not some sort of savant, but he's done pretty well, along with playing the youth vote exactly correct which few have done.

Lets see him play the youth vote correctly and get them to actually turn out for a midterm election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

stinkles1112 posted:

Not only that but he's arguing AGAINST welfare for the poor, and arguing FOR the rich keeping all their money, all based on what Christianity taught him, for gently caress's sake. It's just so incredibly backwards and heartless. Christ teaches you the literal opposite of that.

Yes but it should be done through charity and if the rich don't give enough well then they're bad Christians the poor just need to be grateful for whatever they're given.

a shameful boehner posted:

A bunch of students here in Colorado are walking out of school today because Republicans are hypocritical idiot assholes (but I repeat myself):

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/student-walk-outs-possible-at-pomona-arvada-west-and-ralston-valley-high-schools-tuesday

http://www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/09/18/jeffco-curriculum-committee-us-history/15853797/

This ties back to this, of course:

http://www.newsweek.com/textbook-case-bad-textbooking-texas-272351

The bottom line is that the state of Texas should be excised from existence.

Texas should be nuked until there's nothing but a gaping hole connected to the earth's core. Can a conservative justice please just die, by any means, so this can be challenged in court and ruled as religious propaganda that attempts to circumvent separation of church and state?