Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
US Politics for the month of September. We are now down to this being a glorified RSS feed since everything else got shunted off to its own thread.

I came across a follow up to July's OP photo and just had to use it.

Anyways...

Big question for this month is how will Congress react to Obama's expected impending executive actions on climate change and immigration. If he puts them in place, there is already an undercurrent of opposition to a continuing resolution for the budget, which would trigger another shutdown a month before the election. Or they could just campaign against whatever he does. Or Obama could do nothing, to try and protect congressional Dems in tight races. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Remember 2 years back when (former) House Majority Leader Cantor responded to Labor Day by tweeting about how the true heroes are the rich "job creators"? Well the right has come up with a new way to protest the existance of Labor Day - working

quote:

Right wing launches misguided protest against Labor Day

Just when it seemed the right wing couldn’t get any more divorced from reality around here, a local conservative group has launched a protest against what it sees as a pernicious cultural touchstone.

Labor Day.

Yes, bittersweet old Labor Day — the first Monday in September, the holiday that’s been around for generations and is known to most non-ideologically blinkered Americans as an end-of-summer free day honoring all the hard work you put in the rest of the year.

But to the Freedom Foundation, a business-backed Olympia think tank, the day is evidence of the power of unions, which to them equals the decline of America. Rather than stoop to taking a union-backed day off, they plan to fight the power by ... working all day Monday instead!

“I can’t think of a problem in society that can’t be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor, so it would be hypocritical of us to take a day off on its behalf,” said Freedom Foundation CEO Tom McCabe, in announcing the “work-in.”

That’ll show those unions who control everything around here. Let’s all go into the offices and the factories and work like dogs instead of barbecuing or watching parades! Who’s with me?

Of course, if McCabe followed this principle to its logical end, he’d have to work every Saturday, too. Year round.

But as a protest, this seems unlikely to catch on (to say the least). About the last thing Americans need to do is work more. In fact if we all agreed to work less, even just 10 percent less like the Germans do, we’d open up a lot of jobs for the unemployed, and probably be happier, too.

But what jumped out at me is McCabe’s quote that he “can’t think of a problem in society that can’t be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor.” This is a fascinating glimpse into the conservative id, as well as the polarized state of the nation.

McCabe runs a $3 million-per-year organization, so he’s not just some crazy dude ranting on the corner. And versions of his views are not uncommon among conservatives or in the corridors of business (remember the “makers” and the “takers?”).

What’s odd about it, though, is that only 12 percent of American workers even belong to unions anymore. Yet we — I say “we” because I’m in that 12 percent — somehow retain an almost supernatural mind-meld authority over the oppressed and hapless other 88 percent.

Where does this grievance come from? I mean whatever unions have done wrong — and like any organization, they’ve screwed up plenty — today the defining feature of organized labor is impotence. Not influence, evil or otherwise. For Exhibit A, look at Boeing, where corporate HQ — backed by the state’s political establishment — has got the unions running for their lives.

That’s happening at a company where the management has demonstrably messed up more than the workers.

The 787 is now being called “a case study in how not to build an airplane.” It was the workers who warned that the program wasn’t going to fly, and management who ignored them. Yet it was management who were handsomely rewarded, while the workers — when they weren’t saving the Dreamliner debacle from imploding — who had their retirements slashed.

But let’s all protest against this and stagnant wages and outsourced jobs and all the other realities of work in America by ... working on Labor Day!

No thanks, not for me. In fact, in honor of Labor Day, the workers of America, and the unions from the Wobblies to the Fighting Machinists on forward, and in protest of McCabe’s “work-in” as well as misguided management everywhere, I’m not only taking Monday off, I’m boycotting Tuesday, too!

Now I just hope like most days, my bosses don’t bother reading to the end of this column.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

Something I read/heard about Ferguson was that alot of the residents can't afford cars so the looting and store closures were preventing people from getting staples.

No? Ferguson is solidly middle class. Plenty of people there have cars and there was never an issue with access to staples. On fact the concern about cars was the reverse - the rich white suburb a 15 minute drive away was freaking the gently caress out that their imagined horde of looters would drive over to their neighborhood.

And man, y'all make impeachment jokes for a month and a half, tan suit jokes for an hour, and I'm supposed to go with the latter? Screw this, I'm going golfing

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Communocracy posted:

Also I haven't seen this come up in the thread yet:

I remember reading a year or so ago about Republicans illegally using off duty Marines in suits and white ear pieces to guard their events. Glad to see they're extending the tradition to local law enforcement.

Nothing like starting the day feeling sick to my stomach about seeing 1st amendment rights trampled and the officer cleared even with video evidence of him in the wrong.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Police arrest black political candidate for distributing literature on voting rights

If this poo poo was happening in a movie we'd roll our eyes at how heavy handed it was trying to get across its "establishment are the bad guys" message

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know how to get the address of a vine embedded in a tweet clear of the tweet itself on my phone ap, so I'll just link the tweet itself.

Have some Fox News stupidity. https://twitter.com/africasacountry/status/506901444877099008

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Prester John posted:

To me this is somewhat worrisome because this level of disconnect is eventually going to cause their followers to react very very badly when their version of reality keeps getting rejected by the public at large. I could honestly see a Tea Party type losing an election and honestly refusing to concede and his followers honestly becoming violent.

You mean like in Mississippi?

I don't think there has been any direct physical violence yet, but there has been a ton of threats, intimidation and abuse, and one suicide.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Republicans on the west wing are probably the most poorly/hilariously portrayed group. Always fiendish enough to get in the way but never tougher than cardboard except when they get a minor victory to set up a bigger democrat victory later.

In one of Sorkin's interviews he pointed out that the Republicans consistently won policy victories on the show while Bartlet and the Dems won the "culture war" victories. Like getting Bartlet to appoint an arch conservative to the SCOTUS.

And never mind comparing the fictional Republicans of the West Wing to the current crop we really deal with.

SirKibbles posted:

The civil rights act is pointless using this thought process. The whole system is built on the fact that everyone is equal more opportunities to show that either it is not living up to that bullshit or actually getting people things they need is not bad.

They do think the CRA is useless under that thought process though? Worse than pointless actually, they think it infringes on the rights of private citizens to discriminate and object to the legal idea of protected classes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Charles C Johnson, who has been claiming Michael Brown was convicted of 2nd degree murder as a juvenile, is now suing the state of Missouri to disclose Michael Brown's juvenile record. Note that there is no indication at this time that Michael Brown even had a juvenile record. And even if he did, it has no bearing on him being shot in the back for jaywalking.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawsuits-seek-any-michael-brown-juvenile-records

Guess he got bored paying people to lie in Mississippi

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

After a brief flirtation with the reality of the limits of American power and the necessity of viewing foreign policy in light of national interests rather than an ideological crusade, Republicans are back to being full on hawks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/09/02/after-flirting-with-doves-the-gop-returns-to-the-hawks/

Probably does not bode well for Rand Paul's presidential ambitions. He does have to get through the primary after all

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought he was shot in the front (six times)?

I haven't been diligently following the story for about a week and a half, but my understanding is it is ambiguous. There were 11 shots fired, a cluster of 5 and a cluster of 6. The police now admit Wilson fired at Brown as Brown ran away. Now whether the hits were from behind when he was running, after he stopped and turned, or both, is unclear from the wound placement. Hits to the underside of the arm could be when he was running, when he turned to surrender with hands up, or both.

Either way they killed an unarmed kid for jaywalking

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The Web 2.0 thing was already addressed but housing prices shot back up quite a bit with out a corresponding increase in wages while most jobs added since the recession officially ended have been minimum wage types. In the sort of non-recovery for the non-rich housing prices should've at least stayed stagnant if not continued to fall a while longer and not gone up at all.

The student loan bubble is helping to prop up the banks and when it pops will probably require another several hundred billion bailout of said banks since its into the trillions IIRC.

A bigger concern with housing is that most of the measures that stopped the foreclosure blitz expire in January. So we are going to see a huge uptick in foreclosures again

And the web 2.0 points didn't come close to covering the most egregious valuations of the "app economy". That is such an obvious bubble I have to wonder how many are really just scams to embezzle money and dodge taxes. Never mind AirBnB, how is Yo! worth 10 million?

It makes me wonder about things like Twitter, which hasn't turned a profit but as we've seen has a lot of social value (great for getting information out from the ground and mobilizing the voice of communities). Bubble pops, then what? Hopefully someone will develop a version that can last as freeware that doesn't need the central infrastructure, like what pirate bay has done with their stuff.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

So is there some commonly understood reason why Holder in resigning?

He announced he would be doing it this year back in February, right around when he was put in the hospital for a bit.

So probably health, but the GOP is going to go nuts patting themselves on the back anyways

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm 65 pages behind, as my evenings and weekends have mainly consisted of having VAN and cutting walk maps on one screen and WoW or Netflix on the other, did I miss anything or is it mainly Amergin trolling?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Agreed.

Of course, as usual we can make fun of conservatives who will completely ignore the legitimate reasons to hate him and pull out race.

You both are forgetting failure to investigate and prosecute Bush torturers

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So did anyone post about Hillary's letter to Saul Alinsky? I saw some twitter comments mocking the freak out but I didn't see any news reports from reputable sites when I googled it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

Oh God drat it! And it had to be a black man; couldn't have been a mentally unstable white guy, gently caress no.

I find a bit of perverse pleasure* that we haven't had a mass shooter since Elliot Rodgers. His manifesto was so loving pathetic that even the would be Adam Lanzas, James Holmes, Seung-Hui Chos and Steven Kazmierczaks of the world don't want anything to do with him or what he did.

* you know, in addition to genuine relief that we've managed to go a few months where we've been limited to spates of general gun violence rather than another massacre

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Wait, so they basically hired Taibbi and said he was going to publish awesome Taibbi stuff on his sweet Taibbi site then changed their minds to make it a lovely aggregator or something? That sucks.

I followed Greenwald off-and-on while he was at the Guardian but always forget about his new thing until I think about Taibbi and am reminded of GG by their association. I wonder if this is a pattern and Greenwald's site didn't get the readership they hoped for so they decided to compromise Taibbi's thing.

Yeah, First Look has really been rolling back in scope. Initially they were pitching to launch 8 online news magazines. Then after months of silence it was 2. Then 1. Then an Andrew Sullivan style of links and fast takes. Now it's just... It

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Burris, Quinn, Rauner: Pick 2.

Burris and Rauner. Rauner will be tangentially related to something one of his businesses did, Burris for standard corruption

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court disagrees. I do wonder, would it be illegal for a city to put in place a tax upom transfer of gun ownership and requirement to register with fee payment with the police precinct in which a gun is being held? Say, just compensaion for officer's time in using for using a (lowest of low-bid and purposefully designed worse than healthcare.gov) registration database.

That would be prior restraint, and is banned for very good reasons

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Let's play everyone's favorite game:
SPOT
THE
MINORITY!

Not here...

One of the people in the background maybe...?

Is he behind the flag...?

There he is! Carefully placed front and center to dispel people's belief that this is white privilege in one of its most pure forms.

If you want the biggest example of white privilege out there, here it is. John Crawford gets killed by the police for calmly carrying an air gun he just bought to his car in an open carry state, but a white kid toting guns at the Aurora movie theater becomes a YouTube hero when police praise him for demonstrating for gun rights, and a [URL= http://www.wsmv.com/story/26573535/gun-rights-advocate-demonstrates-outside-metro-school]white man with loaded AR-15 and bullet proof vest can go to a school and have the cops shrug it off[/URL]

Its almost like profiling is applied in one case but not the other two...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Vote Iron Lady 2016!

In other news, shouldn't we open the October thread?

I've got an OP, suggest your titles

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Much like Sandy Hook the right is doing the exact opposite of the reasonable response. In this case instead of "We need to improve healthcare" it's "If someone is sick they should be abandoned to die."

On that note some nutter called in a bomb threat there today.

I'd put money in it being a Sandy Hook Truther that did it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In good news, Michael Dunn was just found guilty of first degree murder for the death of Jordan Davis in his retrial.

For those of you who don't recall, 17 year old Jordan was in the back seat of a SUV that parked next to 45 year old Dunn at a gas station. Dunn ordered the teens to turn their music down, when they didn't Dunn screamed "You can't talk to me like that" and drew a 9mm pistol, firing 10 shots at the SUV as it drove off. 3 struck Davis in the liver and lungs, killing him as he drowned on his own blood. Dunn then resumed waiting for his fiancée to leave the gas station, went back to his hotel room and ordered a pizza. He didn't bother mentioning the incident to anyone until the police tracked him down 2 days later, where he invoked the state's "Stand Your Ground". At trial Dunn contradicted his own testimony and recorded evidence multiple times, and maintained Davis had exited the vehicle and pointed a shotgun at him (contradicted by video and forensic evidence). He was convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder for shooting at the other teens in the car, and had a hung jury on Davis, this indicating that the lesson to take from this was he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being teenagers and then he could have walked.

Despite conviction at retrial, Dunn maintains he is the victim here for defending himself from Davis

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading about some Republican trying to make websites targeted at Asian kids saying "Didn't get in? The system isn't fair (so rail against Affirmative Action)"...and the photos of Asians he used on his website were all stock photos as well.

I remember that the GOP Asian outreach program consisted of white finance guys who lived in Hong Kong. Because hey, they lived in Asia and someone needs to represent those expats dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669131