Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thread title sucks. Impeach fried chicken.

I would have also accepted USPol Sept -- Peter King's natural enemy, a black in tan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dotcom bubble was poo poo like blueridge(?) ecards, a site that sold for several hundred million dollars despite not being worth anything close to that. A current comparison is the absurd valuation of companies like Uber or King.com in the 10-20 billion range. The term "Web 2.0" has nothing to do with the dotcom bubble bursting.

This isn't a critique, and it's just an example of the "valuation" of companies.

The thing is these companies are worth whatever people are willing to pay until its not worth it. There are investment options if you want to bet against corporations, but the insanity of a large group of people has more patience that you do. For example, with the Dotcom bubble, it's July 1999 and you think it's a bubble because the NASDAQ is +300% since 1994. You decide to bet against the overall tech market and do a short sale. By March of 2000, you will have lost almost 100% of your original investment and you have unlimited potential for further losses. Your creditors may even force you to liquidate your position at that point because you've lost too much money. Do you cut your losses now? Do you want to double down? Your original investment in 1999 wont be profitable until March 2001, and if you continue to hold on to it for 3 full years, in July 2002, you will have made 50% on your original investment.

The stock market is illogical and crazy, and it has more patience than you do.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So a 40% rise after a more than doubling of the minimum wage? Isn't that a good thing? People at $11/hr or less automatically now have more buying power. People at $11+/hr should get paid more than $15/hr because they were higher senority / have better positions. There should be a bouy effect on wages and they won't necessarily get screwed. They only people that get truly "hurt" are the people making much higher than minimum wage where you won't have that bouying effect.

And this is using the Heritage Foundation's numbers which, I would tend to guess, chose the most dire scenario.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zxqv8 posted:

There's this paragraph right after that lovely bar chart:

That seems like assuming a worst-case scenario all around. Am I misreading it?

Tons of people make $9/hr! How would they be able to afford the increased prices? They can barely afford a Big Mac as it is.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So you're telling me that a simplistic model that looks purely at simple supply and demand without taking into account increased wages of up to 25% of the population for whom would be most likely to demonstrate elastic supply and demand for fast food, and holding other wages, inflation, and food prices constant, is not going to be predictive of reality? :monocle:

I thought a rising tide bouys all ships?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bhaal posted:

The protests sparked a gigantic min. wage debate happening on my facebook wall. The arguments against raising the wage fall into these categories:
  • Those poo poo wages should be a motivator for them to improve themselves and go get a better job, but instead they just complain and say they need more! Lazy! Greedy! What happened to this country!?
  • They freely agreed to take the job so they obviously had no problem with the pay offered! (note: 100.00% of the time these are the same people that would deride an unemployed person for not taking up a poo poo job with poo poo pay that was being offered)

These are arguments for cutting their own wages. If their boss asks them to come in and cuts their pay, all he has to do is point to the stack of resumes sitting on his desk if there are any complaints. They're obviously more lazy than the people clamoring for a job willing to work for less. The beauty is, once you agree to take the pay cut, you obviously don't have a problem with taking a pay cut.

Lote fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I'm really surprised that in the battle of the MIC vs finance, finance is winning out. Who do you think is going to issue those existing loans? The new loans ain't going to be cheap, so fewer planes for Boeing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fragmented posted:

Jesus. How many lapses in logic have to happen before you let a 14 year old girl be used as bait and not be there to stop the sexual act you basically pimped out.

A bunch. That ruling is a helicopter dunk on the government who is in a very strong position to start.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hey, some guy just hopped the White House fence and they're on lockdown again. Obama's not there. Wonder if they'll figure out what they wanted.

The Birth Cetrificate! Obama!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

As you can clearly see, ladies and gentlemen, not only is Barack Obama's true name "Barack 'The Islamic Shock' Hussein SuperAllah Obama" but also it clearly indicates he is Muslim "as all hell." I rest my case.