Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SirKibbles posted:

Honestly considered whether Obama would hold back on using his veto power to look more bipartisan and moderate. That's paranoid of me but the only reason we don't have cuts to SS and medicare is because of the Tea Party being dumb ,so hopefully Obama is legitimately saying gently caress it for once despite all the times we thought he was going to do it before.

From any number of things Obama has said and done since reelection it seems to me he's finally gotten it through his head that there's little reason to attempt bipartisan cooperation with the majority of the GOP because they define bipartisanship as "the Democrats agree to give us everything we want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

Harry Reid has been a lot less conciliatory than Obama towards the Republicans, for longer.

And the blue dogs, one of the major prior sources of Dem rank-breaking, are more or less extinct at this point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Debt ceiling/government shut down is not a winner for the GOP.

Didn't stop them last time, or the time before for that matter. When you come from a position of conservatism being infallible, and its practitioners only fail by applying it inconsistently/inadequately, it makes sense that trying again, but harder this time you guys, just might work!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bhaal posted:

EDIT: ^^^ :stonk: I would suggest a caption contest but this thread would probably implode if we got that trend started.

It would be an endless succession of variations on "pity he survived."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

I think the filibuster will stay if the GOP ends up with 51 or 52. There's still enough old school guys in there that wouldn't want to see it go.

The problem is going to be budget bills and ridiculous attachments to standard poo poo that the government needs to operate. With both houses the GOP will pass the most outrageous budget they can and blame Obama when the shutdown occurs because he'll be the only person in the way of funding the government. It's going to be really bad.

I'm still holding out hope that some of the Republican senate candidates will say something incredibly stupid between now and the election.

We're about due for one, I'd say. It's been a little while since we've any big ones about how women secretly crave rape or how pregnancy is their natural and deserved state or whatever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nessus posted:

Oh they're definitely going to impeach him for Presidenting while black if they take the Senate. They'll then get unspeakably furious it doesn't pass (doesn't impeachment require like 2/3rds of the Senate, which they cannot get?)

Yes, and yes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Old James posted:

Took me a bit to figure out why this was posted. Cuomo is being challenged from the left by Zephyr Teachout (the blond woman with the teal business suit). Notice how Cuomo keeps his back to her and one of his goons tries to play interference.

Dickish, but not unusual for politicians.

Cuomo has been more dickish than usual towards Teachout, with I think two court challenges to her meeting the residency requirement to run. I don't, however, know if that derives from any genuine concern about a challenge from the left, or just Cuomo being a bit hypersensitive.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

holy poo poo dude

You can collect cans here but it is usually more like 1-2 cents per can.

In the northeast, it's generally five cents per. I know this as out of a sense of spiteful Yankee thrift I sort my returnable separate from my recycling, because if I have to pay the deposit I'll be goddamned if I don't get them nickels back! :argh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay seriously, how the gently caress is it possible that Sam Brownback managed to piss off 100 Republican state legislators into endorsing a loving Democrat challenger?

Short answer? By being Sam Brownback.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They don't like Reaganomics now that they actually have to live with the consequences of their state going completely hog wild on it, I'm guessing.

Also those consequences are so blatant and undeniable that even the state GOP spin machine thought twice about trying to claim it's in any way a good thing. Some turds you just can't polish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Unzip and Attack posted:

Right. This is why every death under Bush's watch was just accepted as The Price Of Freedom.

Who's watch? I don't remember anyone by that name being in office since the late eighties/early nineties, and possibly not even then depending.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Benedick Cuckold posted:

This is basically the answer. But I don't even know why we're zeroing in on bullying in school in this argument.

Because like moths to a flame, some can't see an Amergin post without rising to the bait. :ssh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

anonumos posted:

Amergin: being gay is like being goth - it's a phase, man

Also a real serious thing we should take into consideration before doing anything to try to reduce the suicide rate for gay youths: Santa.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Jesus is going to take the side of the child genital beater.

"But Jesus said, suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven and I will totally beat the crying out of those little shits."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I don't see any hot pants in that photo, though? :confused:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Hail Eris.

I'm the pope.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Maybe there is cause for concern. At least Trent Franks (R-AZ) thinks so.

quote:

"It is true, that we know that ISIS is present in Ciudad Juarez or they were within the last few weeks. So there's no question that they have designs on trying to come into Arizona. The comment that I've made is that if unaccompanied minors can cross the border then certainly trained terrorists probably can to. It is something that is real."

Praise be to Allah, seenyor.
I swear I just posted that entire thing recently, maybe in the chat thread?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pohl posted:

You guys realize that there is not a non Neo Liberal Democrat running for President, right? I'm not thrilled with Clinton, either, but our choices are sort of limited here. I like Biden, but he is never going to win a presidential election.

Why do Sanders and Warren have to be so old? :(

Warren isn't old at all by national political standards.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

Didn't he do this once already and then eat his way back into fatdom again?

That was Huckabee.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

McDowell posted:

That isn't quite right, I think it was a slide show of Bush himself peeking under beds and couches trying to find WMD.

I could have sworn he did that, or something similar, for a White House correspondent's dinner one year, and it was, rightly, rather poorly received.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

This the the same country where millions turn on The Learning Chanel to watch a reality TV show about a morbidly obese family of white trash from Georgia.

Which one? We're spoiled for choices, after all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Needs three more words to be perfect, but still well done.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm in Salt Lake and feel the same way. "Snow day?! What the gently caress is a snow day?" 42 years old and only once did a job ever say "We're closed because the roads are too bad." That was the time it snowed like 3 feet in 24 hours. Also it was after I'd already driven the 15 miles to work :argh:

Have to admit, after growing up in Northeastern VT, the 2 winters I spent in DC were hilarious as everyone totally panicked as soon as there was half an inch of snow on the ground.

And being honest it was nice not to have to deal with -20 with wind chill that makes it feel twice as cold.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They usually don't allow war criminals to be head of Secret Service

There you go again, thinking in a pre-9/11 mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

haveblue posted:

I don't know what this is; I was thinking of the 2 fence jumpers, the elevator incident, and the 2011 shots fired.

A couple successfully crashed a State Department dinner uninvited, though I forget exactly how far in they got before the Secret Service finally tumbled to them not supposing to be there.