Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I will sell my vote for $72,999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/border-patrol-agent-fires-at-armed-militia-member

Why not start with the Texas Border Patrol almost killing some moron playing soldier.
The problem that may finally solve itself.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's a bunch of idiots. I also would love to see their backgrounds pulled so I can keep crowing about my "THEY'RE NOT FROM loving TEXAS" thing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I will charge campaigns $72,997 in legal fees and coincidentally endorse them.
You can tell it's state level politics and the Pauls because when you get to the big leagues you take millions from competing sides, sell them off against each other and then never do anything.

Actual scenes from Jesse's reLOVEution compound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDSn6odVzs

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Defenestration posted:

I was 468 posts behind on the August thread. What did I miss? Other than taupe jokes.
Ron Paul's Grandson was forced to resign Mitch McConnell's campaign amid a misuse of campaign funds scandal involving what amounts to a bribe to a State Senator and Amergin troll and response for the other 450 posts.

EDIT: Also, a man with dark skin wore complementary colors, which is apparently unheard of if you're President.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I dig that total forced collapse for no reason is like an annual budgetary issue for Americans now, like the stupid coups in Thailand. Oh hey guys when is our next total political failure? Let me know so I can save up - THX!

If you wondered what it's like living in the developing world, WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, at least the power stays on. Enough in American's lives are done by non-federal authorities that only the perks are immediately closed during protracted budget fights.
That roughly describes Thailand. poo poo works before, during and after coups and street wars because everyone's so used to it that the permanent bureaucracy just works around it.

:smuggo:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Almost nine years later and it's still the number one thing I keep up with from home. Number two are stories about Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, of course.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

I remember you sarcastically talking about how exciting it was that America was on it's way to becoming a developing nation, around 7 or 8 years ago.

Ha ha ha. :smith:
It was sarcasm, it's pathetic to watch a country drive itself into developing world levels of inequality and stupidity and mendacity over absolutely nothing. On the plus side, there will be infinitely more street food and it will get cheaper and cheaper. I hope you enjoy drinking beer at plastic tables in front of the convenience store as well. Go ahead and buy a Honda Click just to get ready, because cars simply won't be affordable for you soon.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

My Imaginary GF posted:

Smart money don't need no motorcycle, smart money got a bicycle. Cars are for the poors in America.
John Titor represent.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but if you chug a bottle of vodka and throw your keys out the window they can't arrest you.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Doublespeak implies an intention to deceive, which I don't think is the case here. It's just a framing of the argument that you may, reasonably, disagree with. For example, Republicans also agree that everyone should have healthcare, they just don't think that the government should mandate or subsidize it.
Yes, it's not lying or twisting anything, it's just being disingenuous. There's a problem, it shouldn't be there, but it's not our job to fix it! Being a Republican in government must be a killer gig. You spend all your time taking payoffs from lobbyists and anytime someone tells you to eat your carrots you scribble out a 500 word internally consistent, but completely irrelevant excuse for why you're not going to eat your carrots and then smirk.

Ainsley Hayes quickly sums up the traditional Republican position on various equal rights for women issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXPLirJRGDQ

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SirKibbles posted:

So we sent a few troops in to guard diplomatic places in Iraq. Less hope this doesn't implode somehow.
Did you see the Pinoy peacekeepers that had to escape in Golan the other day?

:ughh:

Nothing good can come of all this, but I'm not sure what the Hell else you do at this point. Our dick is so far into the mashed potatoes that every answer from a full on withdrawal to a full on occupation is going to have shitloads of blowback.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SirKibbles posted:

I feel like if I pretend this might not implode it won't. Back the Kurds I guess like we should've done the first time
even that's not a great solution it's like asking which poo poo sandwich you want to eat and loving Bush is off loving painting or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0mS5I-j_Gc

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

You go to the table with the sandwich you have, not the sandwich you might want. Or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Mirkd3CT4&t=257s

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

fool_of_sound posted:

He was armed with his incredibly strong, scary self, remember?
I remember the good old days when a kid at least needed a sandwich wrapped in foil to peek out of his jacket before you could unload on him.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Luke Russert basically got the bump because his dad died, if I recall correctly. He was some second stringer before that, then he got coronated.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

That'd be Blue Mountain, whose sale was the source of wealth for US Rep Jared Polis (D-CO).
My memory is hazy on this, but I swear that it was partially owned by George H.W. Bush and a number of other luminaries - maybe through Carlyle - and that it ended up being called Blue Mountain because the company was supposed to be, or had descended from something to do with the mining (coal?) industry.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't think that's true. Polis was profiled in Robert Frank's Richistan back before he ran for office and IIRC he came up with the name from something his parents had done. I think he (plus maybe his parents) had sole ownership when he sold it.
Alrighty - interesting. I know I've got that memory from some company. I'm trying to poke around and figure out what it was.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

DO YOU MEAN WALKING IN KEEN SANDALS? UGH!
That looks like the kind of place you might actually be able to do some real hiking, so you will find approximately no yuppies there I'm guessing. Maybe if you stick a lone Uber driver, a Williams-Sonoma and a quinoa stand in the foothills.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

computer parts posted:

It's about an hour's drive from El Paso, so remote-ish but not out in the middle of nowhere.
Still safe, now if it gets any closer to Marfa or Santa Fe we could be in trouble.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

computer parts posted:

Huh, Wendy Davis was just here the other day too.
They're trying to lock down the underachieving redneck vote.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man, John Yoo. Hope they're ready for an enhanced vacation.
10-11AM: Waterboarding on the Lido Deck. Swimsuit optional. Submission guaranteed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's not like Kansas is the only state where this has happened though. If all it takes is actually implementing Tea Party orthodoxy to get the GOP rank and file to revolt en masse and make even an R+20 state competitive in a statewide or national election, Scott Walker should be poised to lose by a landslide instead of running better than Romney did.
Anecdotal and all, but I have some friends involved in local government in the small, rural town I grew up closest to and they're all either sort of casual conservatives who vote straight R or outspoken Republicans. I hear nothing but bitching about the tea party people specifically due to the chaos they cause and the constant blocking of anything. Basically, you hear a lot of, "We can't fill a pothole without these people loving it up." and so on.

I've been waiting for a while for the country to hit that point where it realizes that the right is out of ideas, has been forever, has been in control of the agenda for a long time - and then there's a shift. I hoped maybe Obama would do for some new progressive ideology what Reagan did for conservatism, but he obviously wasn't and isn't that guy. Still, the trend is heading that way the same way it was heading the other direction around the time I was born. Not there yet, unfortunately, it seems.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Honk if you're holy!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was trying to find a clip of that scene from Terms of Endearment (great film) where Aurora says "Relatively late in life I found that sex is so... fan-loving-tastic!" but all I could find was a broken link on a site called hark :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This probably goes better here, unless Frank Herbert is running for Congress posthumously or something:

http://wonkette.com/559940/anchorage-pd-palins-were-present-at-20-person-brawl-fate-of-hos-weave-unknown

quote:

Anchorage PD: Palins Were ‘Present’ At 20-Person Brawl. Fate Of Hos’ Weave Unknown

Well, look who is doing some journamalism, it is us, yr Wonkette. A delightful story about Bristol Palin’s mean right hook, Todd Palin’s bloody nose, and Sarah Palin screeching DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM was gossiported by our old pals at ImmoralMinority, and we done called up the Anchorage PD to say “yo, Palin fight?” and they said “maybe.” ALL THE PULITZERS PLS.

Anita in the Anchorage Police Department’s communications office is sitting at her desk at 7:15 a.m. on a Tuesday Thursday, so probs they are waiting for a whole mess of calls from Jake Tapper or whatever, and Anita confirms that a huge bloody mess of a brawl between multiple subjects took place Saturday night, and that the Palins were “present.” However, since nobody wanted to arrest anybody else, the names of the “subjects” remain not yet released. But the investigation continues!

Infotain us, ImmoralMinority!

quote:

According to the grapevine Track had some altercation with a person who may or may not have once dated one of the Palin girls. That led to some pushing and shoving, which escalated somehow to the family being asked to leave the premises.

However before that could happen a certain former abstinence spokesperson unleashed a flurry of blows at some as of yet identified individual before being pulled off by by another partygoer, after which Todd apparently puffed up his chest and made some threatening remarks. (The “C’ word may have been uttered at one point.)
Yes, the C-word probably was uttered. BY US.

Anyhoo, it is probably time for anyone who was at that super-fun-times awesome shindiggity to send us some cell phone video, because WHO THE HELL WASN’T TAKING CELL PHONE VIDEO, WHAT ARE YOU A BUNCH OF IDIOTS?
The Daily Caller has a more colorful roundup of local blogger accounts of the Wasilla Clampetts' antics:

http://news.yahoo.com/palin-family-allegedly-involved-brawl-190208427.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nessus posted:

I am reminded of that law that got through the legislature in Michigan, wasn't it? Where they specifically forbade punishing students who were motivated in things like hateful utterances, etc. if they happened to be motivated by sincere religious belief? I recall thinking that they had just legalized jihad in schools. (Of course, we know who the INTENDED population was.)
Does this mean you're allowed to yell, "Jesus says fire!" in a crowded school auditorium?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Also, I guess in Paul's utopia he'll have to worry about running against Barack Obama in 2016. The article also looks at his foreign policy.

Watch out, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, you could be next :ohdear:
I love when they cite the refusal to intervene on behalf of the French at Dien Bien Phu. Let me dispell that one. It's because we were balls deep into inserting our own people into the place to exert our influence and, at that point, we wanted the French to lose. It wasn't hesitation, it was, "If the French get the poo poo kicked out of them one last time maybe we can finally intervene and take on the commaniss threat ourselves." This after nearly a decade of a schizophrenic effort to A) try to prop them up in their fumbling and unsuccessful bid to retain their colony and B) build a third way force to take over as we slowly wedged them out. It was in no way an organized strategy, it evolved over time, and that generation was the one where a shitload of OSS guys quit/got purged because they thought out policy had gone way off the rails in trying to pursue an American colonialist agenda in former European colonies.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shbobdb posted:

There was a gay bar next to my old apartment. It had a fantastic breakfast deal ($2 for 2 eggs, 2 sausages and toast) as well as rock-bottom well drinks. The breakfast crowd was mostly a bunch of old men (like any other cheap breakfast). Most of them were ex-cons from a time and place where being gay wasn't really an option but they found out in prison that they strongly preferred it that way and kept it up once they got out. You'd better believe they spent a lot of time talking about "The Blacks" as well as the "immigration problem".
How can this possibly fit into The Oppression Matrix?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, let's see, a bunch of wealthy dudes who move into urban cores, take them over and then price everyone out of the market - and lesbians are going to be the real bogeyman.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If this results in a drop in sales of Prada Hand Creme, I'm down with that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Armani posted:

The most special of forces - the Raspberry Berets! Ut purpuram pluviæ!
Our troops are too good to go to war with second hand equipment.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It was just big block of cheese day, calm down.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, and given it's still a warzone where no one can really do much. The point of the anti-landmine stuff is to stop proliferation - no more Cambodias and Laos. Adding an exception for the DMZ seems pretty reasonably, given the reality, since it's not like anyone's laying landmines randomly around Seoul or something. They're all going into that one hosed up strip of land that's untouchable.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile at the Clinton Global Initiative....

Is that from one of the less-trafficked sections of a Madame Tussaud's?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The guy has dropped an entire Khmer person in weight, let's give him his due.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

hobbesmaster posted:

Also, living in the US really warps your perspective on things.
This cannot be repeated enough, though it's true for Australia, The UK, Germany and most Western countries.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheekio posted:

Are Australians and Brits fat or are you making a general comment about western insularity?
The UK and Germany and friends aren't meaningfully behind the US. The big distinction in the US is obesity, but average BMI is within a point or so. It's just that we Americans do everything to the extreme, and we have a much larger immigrant population historically and presently, meaning that not everyone is an identical massive white blob or a finely tuned Pilates instructor, but we have a lot of both, while Europeans are more likely to be in the middle as a group.

The worst glob of countries are scarcely Western, though, and if you've spent time internationally you'll be able to guess who they are, heh. Hint: guess who is insanely wealthy and does no work and/or lives on an island and does no work. Bangkok gets a fantastic cross-section as the world's most visited city and I can tell you no one on average is more ridiculously fat and slovenly than Emeratis, Saudis and so on. No one (from countries of any size - tiny island states don't count). The US is definitely up there, especially on the margins, but it's the various Emirates and Kingdoms who take the cake typically. Still, like I said, the Aussies and Kiwis and Limeys and so on are not notably far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pat Roberts just wants to secure a future for his children.
:lol: