Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Turns out Cantor found the best way to get over his primary loss was to fall rear end backwards into a pile of money:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/09/02/eric-cantor-joins-wall-street-investment-firm-will-open-washington-office/

quote:

Former House majority leader Eric Cantor is joining a Wall Street investment bank as vice chairman and managing director, the firm announced this morning.

The firm, Moelis & Co., said Cantor will be based in the New York office of the global company and will soon open an office in Washington. Moelis, with 500 employees, is known as a fast-growing “boutique” firm that advises companies and investors on mergers, acquisitions and risk.

However they may not want to press his experience in risk assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Yes, it's not lying or twisting anything, it's just being disingenuous. There's a problem, it shouldn't be there, but it's not our job to fix it! Being a Republican in government must be a killer gig. You spend all your time taking payoffs from lobbyists and anytime someone tells you to eat your carrots you scribble out a 500 word internally consistent, but completely irrelevant excuse for why you're not going to eat your carrots and then smirk.

Ainsley Hayes quickly sums up the traditional Republican position on various equal rights for women issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXPLirJRGDQ

Talk about the Republican position in a nutshell. "I'm embarrassed that the problem exists, so I will ignore it." It's like poor people voting Republican because "gently caress the mooching poor"

For people bookmarking relevant links, it was a Yale study that found among 127 participants, an application with "John" at the top was offered ~$30k per year to start when an application with "Jennifer" at the top was offered $26k.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

Bob McDonnell was found guilty on 11 counts, Maureen was found guilty on 8 including obstruction of justice. They skated on falsifying loan documents but I think got nailed on everything else.

Well they can't just start prosecuting the rich for financial crimes out of the blue.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

zoux posted:

It's true I find conservative relatives respond well to data and strong logical arguments.

This sort of blows my mind. Fun example, this is from the debate between Al Franken and O'Reilly, Franken calling out the Peabody thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMP4Eunt570#t=691

The continuation, in which O'Reilly responds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwHp800c08

Can anyone put into words how despite 10 minutes of being caught red handed in front of a crowd with citations of his own lying words, O'Reilly just rolls these accusations off his back? Within the first ten seconds of rebuttal, Franken looks defensive and beaten.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Does how nice a place factor into it or do you care more about having a lock you can put between you and the world? Sounds interesting, if you did and ask tell I'd read it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Prosopagnosiac posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but Sanders is pushing for a vote on a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/recent-business/overturn-citizens-united2

What are the chances it even makes it to the floor?

Live now: http://www.c-span.org/video/?320891-1/us-senate-morning-business&live

Chuck Grassley, DBAG-Iowa is arguing that the democrats are trying to destroy the first amendment

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

On February 16, 2012, President Obama nominated Pryor to be Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit to replace Judge Stanley F. Birch, Jr., who retired in 2010. Both of Georgia's United States senators refused to return the "blue slips" on her nomination, effectively blocking the nomination. On January 2, 2013, her nomination was returned to the President due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate.

On January 3, 2013, she was renominated to the same judgeship. She received a hearing before the full panel of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on May 13, 2014. On June 19, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote.

On July 30, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid motioned to invoke cloture on Pryor's nomination. On July 31, 2014, the Senate voted 58-33 for cloture on Pryor's nomination. A confirmation vote just now confirmed her nomination 97 to 0.

How did this one get strong armed through again?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

twodot posted:

Does anyone have the text of the amendment? The press release doesn't seem to have it, and the only text I can find is from three years ago (is it still the same one from three years ago: http://sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/S.J.Res..pdf ?).

Right here: https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/19

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Well that wasn't bad at all. I thought it would be a completely partisan vote to ignore Sanders and continue to pretend our political process is fine.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Joementum posted:

Remember: every three days that the Senate spends doing anything other than confirming a lifetime appointment for an Obama-nominated judge between now and the end of the year is one less Obama-nominated federal judge.

Guess how many of those will be confirmed by Senate Majority Leader McConnell in the next Congress.

You can be as defensively cynical as you want, I'm going to revel in the fact Bernie Sanders got an Amendment to the Constitution to the floor of the Senate. Forty-eight co sponsors.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Lycus posted:

Is this really something McConnell would want to campaign on? All the conservative-minded people I know dislike money in politics too. Being pro-CU seems like something that only speaks to rich guys and libertarians.

As for my own defensive cynicism, an amendment on the floor saying 'you can't do this next year' is a good way to pump donors for a bigger investment on this election cycle.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Patience.avi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX3BgZlI08E

If Josh Earnest walked over and slapped Ed across the face, I don't think anyone would object.

Today he's asked Josh "A year ago Obama said he was happy to be out of Iraq, and today he's looking at military options in the area. Does that suggest he was too quick to leave?"

"It does not, Ed."

That said, getting an idea of what's going on in politics by watching reporters try to catch the Press Secretary off guard on a daily basis has been an interesting change of pace.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

"Excessive Black voting" - A Republican

Probably the most amazing racist thing I've heard. He doesn't have a problem with black voting, it's that he thinks black voting should be done in moderation. Maybe three out of every five black votes should count, or some such.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Kids should not be suspended for parroting their parents' beliefs. They should, however, be disciplined for disrespect to other students, acting against the school community, and creating an unsafe environment.

In Montessori schools, when one kid bullies another, the victim is taught to stand up for themselves. It's awesome seeing a barely conscious four year old get their block castle knocked over and have them say "You can't do that, it's my castle" completely bewildering the jerk who knocked it over.

Of course you have to be pretty bougie to even know what a Montessori school is, but nonetheless.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So I guess Mitch got himself a non-retarded campaign manager if this is the ad they're coming out with after the Paulite resigned.

This is actually a pretty good ad, as someone who would never vote Republican it casts the options as serve in heaven-reign in hell. It would to be good for the country to get rid of McConnell, but I can't imagine the state specifically will get more favors out of it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

BAWRLIN posted:

Every gay person I've talked to about it says they knew from a very young age. Like 5 or so.

That's sort of unfair, all 5 year old boys think girls are gross.

But wait, instead of engaging the highly ranked amateur trolls here, let's watch the professionals at the White House Press Brief!

I'm putting money that someone will bring up the reporter who took a boat across Lake Erie today, although it's pretty much anyone's guess whether it will be in light of Ebola, ISIL, immigration, or all three. Nothing like sick terrorists who want to get in on our awesome healthcare system.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

I wish a major polling organization would go around askimg people in a condescending tone "Why are you afraid?"

I'm pretty sure that's what Gallup does. They're not exactly a bastion of great statistics.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

It'll be orders of magnitude worse than the racism.

I don't think so. Candidate Barack Obama had to deal with less racism than Mediocre President Barack Obama, at least from the conventional sources.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm also very disappointed by Hillary's campaign so far

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The good news is this is the best shot they'll have for like half a decade. In 2018 they'll need to either get more support or cease to exist entirely.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I think voting for the Green Party is the definition of inflicting self harm to better a populist movement.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Looking at SCOTUS chat from another thread, what is keeping Obama from appointing 2 more justices out of the blue? I thought that was a power he had.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

The number of justices is set by Congress.

Thanks. Just making sure there are no silver bullets that Obama could pull out of thin air to fix things.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

So is this one of your actual opinions or is this just more of you testing your get out of trouble for shitposting free pass.

Seriously though why is this still going on, it hasn't been funny for months.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Miltank posted:

Ya can't just accelerate and then slam on the breaks you'll give the country whiplash.

That's a pretty good metaphor for the past 20 years.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Joe Biden is talking at the 40th Anniversary Conference of the Legal Services Corporation. Pretty good so far. Maybe he's just good at playing the part, but he doesn't have that slick rear end in a top hat politician feel to what he says.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Hillary will just be the fear monger of 2016 and lose the primary like she did when she was 'obviously' going to win in 2008. I wouldn't have a problem with President Biden.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hillary Clinton is an 80s republican. The modern GOP are loonies who should never be given any type of responsibility, let alone allowed to "govern".

I don't know why people act like votes don't count, until every blue senator is a Elizabeth Warren or a Bernie Sanders, there's plenty of work to be done even in a state that's a complete lock.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Reminder that Bernie Sanders literally does not understand racial issues and comes from the whitest part of the US.

Reminder that Bernie's from Brooklyn and a minority

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Well I caught most of that, apparently we're committing resources to the Ebola epidemic. Considering how allergic to Obama's executive actions the right has been, I'm a little bit sadistically looking forward to what they say about this.

You can watch the remarks here, but it didn't seem to have any fun "Degrade and Degenerate" turns of phrases, so any reasonable news article will probably bring you up to speed if you missed them.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

You call always tell one's true political leanings by the accuracy of their use of 'Professor' versus 'Doctor.'

I always thought Professor was a step above Doctor, as there are a million and one post-doc researchers, but they all work for the guy with tenure. I don't know if this confirms or contradicts the point you were making though.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

And we're back to the point that nothing Obama/congress can do will ever count as a win because it will always not be not leftist enough. Is a gigantic expansion of Medicaid(both adult and SCHIP) as part of a larger "meh" Obamacare not counting as half a win? Fair Sentencing Act? Auto bailout? Matthew Shepard/James Byrd hate crime act? Lilly Ledbetter? Cash for clunkers? Stricter EPA regulations from everything to certain emissions to car mileage? 9/11 responders bill? Tribal Law act? Expansion of Americoprs?

Like, at which point does it count as half of one prize?

I always drop the overdraft fee protection and that shuts people up. You remember what sucked? Overdraft fees. We had a Democratic House and Senate for 2 years and they put and end to that abusive bullshit.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

This was mentioned yesterday, but is worth mentioning again. Bernie Sanders recorded a folk album. It's amazing, it's just Bernie's spoken word over labor songs. I'm a big fan of "The Banks are Made of Mable":

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2014/09/17/bernie-sanders-recorded-a-folk-album-no-punchline-required

Of course, it's free online (whole album embedded in the bottom of above link).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

Scott Walker released a video in which he orates at the bottom of a pit. A Wisconsin union promptly filed a complaint with the OSHA over safety violations he committed while doing this.

quote:

But it’s unlikely Walker would be fined or even investigated by OSHA, Finkel said.

He pointed out that formal OSHA complaints are usually made by or on behalf of employees against an employer.
They apparently need to file a complaint with the Koch brothers on Walker's behalf.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Ganon posted:

Tom Ridge... also shaves his forearms and hands because he can't stand the idea of body hair on his arms

_I_ heard he really shaves his arms because his armhair grows instantly in painful spurts, a whole inch in one go.

PROOF

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

Oh snap! No she di'int! :nyd:

Odds the response mentions obamacare:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

If the average NRA member disliked politicians primarily because of "father knows best" attitudes, they wouldn't be conservatives.

I like the Fraken quote, "Republicans love the GOP like a 4 year old loves his mommy".

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

SKELETONS posted:

I was going to make a joke about how losing your arm in defense of the country entitles you to a get-out-of-jail free card, but the NYT article mentions him raping someone as well :( sad to see one of my favourite senators ever is probably as bad as Clinton in that regard.

Did you just casually claim Clinton is a rapist?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I for one think this it's time the USPOL thread really did things differently. Maybe we should try to explain to the trolls why they're wrong, also debate what are the right PC terms to use for any given event.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Radbot posted:

Nuclear is the only way to produce any amount of carbon-reduced electricity in time to stop the worst effects of climate change. Period.

Here's a nice finding that solar in large scale plants outperforms coal, nuclear, and natural gas for electricity generation:

http://planetsave.com/2014/09/21/solar-panels-cost/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

No WH Presser today? I really don't get their schedule.

edit: apparently Obama's at the UN and/or hanging out with Clinton. He should call some former Acorn organizers for a right-wing media rage hattrick.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 22, 2014