Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

I will sell my vote for $72,999.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'll do it for $72,998!

I will charge campaigns $72,997 in legal fees and coincidentally endorse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, the "taupe" pun dates all the way back to the Obama staff in 2007.

quote:

Even on their wedding day, politics was ever-present, but never an intrusion. [national press secretary for Senator Barack Obama] Mr. Burton, now 29, and his groomsmen wore tan summer suits. “The audacity of taupe,” he quipped, still on message.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Happy Labor Day, America. Here's Sarah Palin to learn ya about this special holiday where we celebrate conservative values. Yes, the phrase "union thugs" does make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bloRra8lcwQ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day: "Not only is it not right, it ain't right." ~ Barack Obama on the GOP's refusal to raise the minimum wage.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
“Would you like a spray?” the man asks.

“Not today,” Norquist says.

The man smiles. “Well, would you like a taint wash?”

Norquist has been at Burning Man for less than a day, but he’s already learning lots of new things.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Wait what on earth am I looking at my brain cannot process this.

It makes perfect sense. Republicans are (correctly) accusing the White House of having a lower median salary for its female employees. At the same time, they are saying that they do not oppose equal pay, which is true, as a broad concept. Republicans simply oppose a government mandate to enforce equal pay standards, but agree that women should receive equal pay and that it is in the best interests of businesses to pay women equally. Therefore, any employer who, absent a law requiring it, fails to pay women equally must not be a Republican. And look, the White House both doesn't pay women equally and is run by a Democrat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sword of Chomsky posted:

They really have turned doublespeak into an art form. They're Davinci and the democrats are Jackson Pollock. Just look at that loving thing and awe in its glory.

Doublespeak implies an intention to deceive, which I don't think is the case here. It's just a framing of the argument that you may, reasonably, disagree with. For example, Republicans also agree that everyone should have healthcare, they just don't think that the government should mandate or subsidize it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vahakyla posted:

How likely it is that even in a R win over the Senate, not a lot would change before 2016? Are the odds of impending doom low due to veto power and the overall gridlock?

At the very least, we'd have two years where no executive or judicial appointees are approved.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vahakyla posted:

Isn't that often the case now, too?

Nope. Since Reid got enough Democrats to go along with it last fall non-SCOTUS judicial and all executive appointments now require a simple majority in the Senate, so they've been going through. There are still procedural delays in place that let the Republicans drag out the process, but 2014 has been a hugely productive year in terms of confirming federal judges. Long term, those judges will probably be the most significant legacy of Obama's second term - unless he starts going all MacArthur in the Levant.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, North of Bangor, Governor Paul LePage gave an English and History lesson to what we can only assume is the local moose population.

quote:

He insisted on calling them illegal aliens and explained that “what most people in Maine don’t want to acknowledge is that the ‘il’ makes it unlawful,” referring to the spelling of the word “illegal.”

“They are going to our schools, and that’s a real problem for me,” said LePage, who is running against Democrat Mike Michaud and independent Eliot Cutler.

“If we can’t build a fence high enough … we ought to go to China and see how they built a wall,” he said, which got laughs.

In his defense, building a fence from Lubec up to Madawaska and over to Coburn Gore would provide for significant jobs in his state and keep those filthy New Brunswickians out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

It's really the québécois that they're worried about in Maine.

That was also a funny part of his speech.

quote:

He compared Maine to places such as Alabama, Texas and Montreal, where he said energy costs are much lower, which encourages companies to relocate there.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things doesn't belong.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's worth noting the every compromise bill of Obama's second term has originated in the Senate (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this!). The fiscal cliff deal, the budget deal, the agreement to end the government shutdown, the veterans bill, the highway funding bill, multiple debt ceiling hikes. The Senate immigration bill was also supposed to be this, but well, Steve King, whatcha gonna do? The Senate has provided a necessary relief valve for the intransigence of the House GOP conference. They'll go right up to the 11th hour, but there's always a Senate bill sitting around that they can reluctantly approve if needed.

It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic changes if the GOP takes over the Senate and the blame for obstruction can (in their mind) be fully shifted onto Obama instead of Harry Reid shouldering all of it. There's also the real possibility that the Senate Majority Leader would not be Mitch McConnell, which makes that situation even more interesting.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley's "O' Say Can You See PAC" (yes, it's really called that) has announced their "O' Team" (yes, it's really also called that) of candidates they're supporting in 2014.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's guilty on 11 corruption counts :getin:

Now to go edit the 2016 thread OP.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As a reminder, he was offered a plea deal where he would have plead guilty to one count of corruption, avoided trial, had all of the records sealed, and had no charges against Maureen.

Probably should have taken the prosecutors up on that offer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vahakyla posted:

Basically, he doesn't need to rot in prison forever, but a year or two will surely help to show other's that they just can't skate with poo poo like that.

This hasn't seemed to work in Illinois or Louisiana.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > USPOL September: "are there dragons?" Obama asked.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > USPOL September: "The pact," Obama said, clenching his fist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Antiquities Act: benign relic of Teddy Roosevelt and favorite legislation of Presidents (fake and real) who want to stymie Congress, or instrument of terror?

quote:

In May of this year, Obama named the Desert Peaks National Monument in New Mexico a federally designated monument. Setting aside this land with an executive order under the Antiquities Act of 1906, the nearly half million acres bordering the Mexican state of Chihuahua is now off-limits to all but foot traffic. Potential for the incursion of malefactors in that area is enormous; not just an efficient and effective route for small bands of drug smugglers or gangs, it now amounts to a protected access for potentially large sorties onto the U.S. soil.

In the context of what I have postulated here, why might Obama do this?

To protect environmentally sensitive land that Republicans wanted to sell to mining interests? Oh, there's another reason?

quote:

Let’s forget for a moment the possibility of a terror cell executing a Nairobi mall-style attack or detonating a dirty bomb somewhere in Middle America. Picture 100 malls or elementary schools across the U.S. laid siege simultaneously, two or more full-fledged thermonuclear devices detonated in American cities, or a few high-sensitivity military bases taken over by terrorists. Consider that these forces would have the training and weaponry to suit the job, as well as the intelligence necessary to give them a far better than even chance of success

OK, I'm picturing this...

quote:

– all provided by our own government.

Bear in mind that the Desert Peaks phenomenon is but one instance in which Obama has left America vulnerable; there are others we’ve been made aware of, and probably still others we don’t yet know about.

So wait, is Desert Peaks a place where we're ignoring ISIS incursions or a place where Obama has set up a training camp?

quote:

Whether Obama intends to seize absolute power via martial law after a comprehensive White House-orchestrated terrorist strike or use his jihadi army to aid in pacifying an unsuspecting American populace matters little.

I suppose that's true, it we assume those are the only two possible futures, it doesn't matter much which one happens.

Anyway, here's a photo of Terrorburg, USA, Population: ISIS

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StandardVC10 posted:

Is that a PZL Wilga? :poland:

Yup! Figures that a Polish plane would try to kill him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aliquid posted:

His excuse was one of my favorite in politico-speak. "Governmentnik, y'know, like in the Soviet days."

In a strange coincidence, all Governmentniks are bleugh people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WOMP WAHHH

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Abandoning his pledge to act by the end of summer, President Barack Obama has decided to delay any executive action on immigration until after the November congressional elections, White House officials said.

The move is certain to infuriate immigration advocates while offering relief to some vulnerable Democrats in tough Senate re-election contests.

Two White House officials said Obama concluded that circumventing Congress through executive actions on immigration during the campaign would politicize the issue and hurt future efforts to pass a broad overhaul.

The last part is especially funny. Yes, I'm sure Congress will be even more likely to pass immigration reform next year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Roll Call reporter Neils Lesniewski brings up an interesting point: does Obama's punt on this until "after the election" mean after the Louisiana runoff?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

(doesn't impeachment require like 2/3rds of the Senate, which they cannot get?)

If Republicans won every single election in November, they would still be one seat short of 2/3rds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

If they win the Senate but can't convict, would you really put it past them to start impeaching various federal officials willy nilly just so they can say "(x person) was impeached on (ridiculous charges)" in campaign ads?

Michele Bachmann already proposed doing exactly that, but we'll sadly miss her wisdom in the next Congress :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Quid Pro Cuomo is a dick.

https://vimeo.com/105433950

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
All of the various histories of the 2013 shutdown I've read have said Obama wanted to deal, but Reid convinced him that he could force the Senate Democrats to hold the line.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

All of the various histories of the 2013 shutdown I've read have said Obama wanted to deal, but Reid convinced him that he could force the Senate Democrats to hold the line.

Thinking about this a bit more, I bet Obama's concern was that if there was going to be a deal to end/avert the shutdown, he wanted to make sure it would be on his terms, not Joe Manchin's or Chuck Schumer's, which is not an unreasonable concern. Reid was able to keep them in line and Obama will continue to rely on him to do so if the Republicans gain control of that chamber, though it will be less of a concern because the Republicans will likely need to convince 7-9 Democrats to go along with them in that scenario, which is a bigger lift.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is the 50th anniversary of the only time this was paid to be played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

It was one of the first Presidential campaign political ads under 15 minutes, part of a hard-hitting media strategy coordinated by Bill Moyers for the campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The White House's June photo album is up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That's a sign that the Republicans are getting positive polling / focus groups on their message that the Democrats are destroying the first amendment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amused to Death posted:

So apparently the Senate voted to pass the constitutional amendment to overturn citizen's united by a 79-18 vote?

Voted for cloture on the motion to proceed. McConnell wrote up a piece in Politico basically saying, "hey, if the Democrats want to waste Senate floor time blabbing about something that will never pass and that I can campaign against, I won't stand in their way".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember: every three days that the Senate spends doing anything other than confirming a lifetime appointment for an Obama-nominated judge between now and the end of the year is one less Obama-nominated federal judge.

Guess how many of those will be confirmed by Senate Majority Leader McConnell in the next Congress.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ah feckin' pissah nah mah bahtles I dawn't git from the packey ahr gonna be taxed?

Massachusetts to vote on a new bottle deposit law tomorrow and also a law giving workers in the Commonwealth an hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

I'm sensing that you don't believe there's any way for the Democrats to win even the messaging battle on this. Which may be true but, to not try at all seems wrong to me as well.

I'm skeptical that the Democrats can get people to care about issues like campaign finance outside of people who are already going to show up and vote Democratic, yes. My goo-goo take on the subject is that this is a rather foolhardy way of going about it and instituting a regime of public financing floors would be more effective, but I think it's likely moot because this is simply not an issue that penetrates beyond the politics nerd. Having Harry Reid say mean things about the Koch brothers in his daily floor speech is just as effective and doesn't tie up the calendar.

quote:

I really don't understand the lack of urgency in trying to confirm nominations though.

Other than this aside, Reid's been going full steam at confirming nominees every since the nuclear option. The rules still allow the minority to exercise some delaying tactics and they actually haven't been using all the ones at their disposal. It's still rather ridiculous that the US ambassador to Russia (which might be considered something of an important position presently) got blocked just before the recess.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember to go vote today if you live in Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, or Rhode Island!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No idea about switching your driver's license, but to register to vote in MA all you need to do is mail in this form and attach a copy of a utility bill at least 20 days before an election. Or go fill it out in person at the town clerk's office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the Day: "Congress could establish a federal ministry of truth of sorts." ~ Senator Mike Lee on the campaign finance amendment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Politician vehicles? Richard Burr has a 1973 Volkswagon Thing that he drives around D.C. to protest their seatbelt laws since vehicles that didn't come with seatbelts got grandfathered in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpL9e7Bf98c

But nothing beats LBJ's amphibious car that he would drive wildly into the lake on his ranch while pretending the breaks had gone out to scare his guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In a weird twist, trickle down economics don't actually work and even Kansans get pissed off at their legislators when they have to start cutting critical services and raising taxes on the lowest income bracket.