Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Bhaal posted:

Thank you. You've articulated what I never could quite put into words about why i can't get into that show even though a ton of my friends love it to death. That and Sorkin is so doggedly tedious.

Though that clip reminded me of this (apparently not fictional) libertarian woman speaking out against VAWA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMLM4vGbtI

Before watching that, I'd advise making sure you didn't over do it on your sodium intake for the day. This thread causes enough hypertension as it is.

If that isn't a parody, then... ahaha, holy poo poo.
I could refute most of what she said point by point.

There is a reason that localities arrest people for domestic violence, even if the other party doesn't want an arrest made. I could probably punch her in the face a bunch of times until she understood that men are more physically powerful than women, but that wouldn't do much to help the domestic violence movement.

Edit: I forgot she was a crazy Libertarian.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't know that I quite understand what you mean by this.

Men are more physically capable than women and they cause more damage. This is a cycle, we call it the cycle of abuse.

Do I need to explain more? Women are not helpless, but this is not an issue that is up for debate.
edit: or, are you just cherry picking my post? I guess out of context what you quoted looks horrible.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 3, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

If people are going to start writing their reports on twitter, I'm just going to stop paying attention. Who the gently caress sends 25 tweets when they should instead be writing a news story?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

A federal judge just upheld the ban on gay marriage in Louisiana because in his own words,

judge posted:

And so, inconvenient questions persist," he wrote. "For example, must the states permit or recognize a marriage between an aunt and niece? Aunt and nephew? Brother/brother? Father and child? May minors marry? Must marriage be limited to only two people? What about a transgender spouse? Is such a union same-gender or male-female? All such unions would undeniably be equally committed to love and caring for one another, just like the plaintiffs."

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Edit: huh I thought first cousin marriages weren't allowed in more states.

I think liberal states never bothered to ban them, because who the gently caress marries their 1st cousin? If anything, that map shows the places where it was a problem that needed fixed.
Or, they just really want people to marry their gay cousin. loving liberals.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 3, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

I think you have to worry more about democratic senators leaking votes to surpass the veto threat. Dems were fractured all the time 2002 to 2006.

Yeah, I don't think Obama is going to give Republicans anything, nor offer them anything. They pissed him off, it took 6 years but they pissed him off so much that he isn't going to even try and deal with them.

Once we hit the stage where it was Obama saying "Shut the government down, gently caress you!", it was pretty clear that he was done. I don't think the Republicans know what to do with him now except stonewall.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

TheGreyGhost posted:

I mean, I hate to beat a dead horse, but regardless of what happens in the senate races, nothing is getting done the next two years. Obama's political capital is so toxic that it's only usable for trolling Republicans at this point since Democrats are trying to avoid having a lame duck president near their campaigns right now. If dems hold, we get to watch two more years of nothing happening. If it flips, Obama will be vetoing anything significant or have the senate talk it to death for him. Short of the GOP eliminating the filibuster, a republican senate still gets nothing done, and even then it's never breaking a veto. And at that point, the dems will have an entire binder of batshit republican legislation that passed the legislature to wave at people and yell, "THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. DON'T VOTE FOR PAUL/CHRISTIE/RUBIO/CRUZ etc."

It is not nearly that bad. A big chunk of Obama's negatives are from people like us, we think he is too conservative. Yeah, the legislative process is hosed while he is president, but it doesn't mean that he wasn't an effective president. I really think Obama should be remembered for holding back the rabid right wing hoards, rather than being blamed for gridlock. He may not have accomplished much, but he certainly stood in the way of a lot of bullshit the minority right wanted to implement. The same goes for Harry Reid. Hate him or love him, the man was a loving crusader when it came to controlling the legislative process. If the Republicans win the Senate, it is all going to be on Obama. That is when things get really ugly, and it is why I'm glad that Obama learned not to deal with loving Republicans.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ganon posted:

What about the debt ceiling in March? We hit the limit tomorrow, here's a 3 month increase attached to a bill lowering the tax rates and repealing the ACA.

He already told them to gently caress off with those tactics, he isn't going to back down.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

You guys realize that there is not a non Neo Liberal Democrat running for President, right? I'm not thrilled with Clinton, either, but our choices are sort of limited here. I like Biden, but he is never going to win a presidential election.

Why do Sanders and Warren have to be so old? :(

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Joementum posted:

Or anywhere. Your vote is statistically insignificant in statewide elections and you should stop obsessing about this.

Also, you have at least another sixteen months to make up your mind about whether to vote for Hillary and, since it doesn't really matter whether you do or not, that's plenty of time.

If we can't argue about voting for a lesser evil, whatever will we talk about?

I don't know how you find the amazingly strange and beautifully offbeat things that you constantly post, but I really appreciate you posting them.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

I want a better USPOL thread, but I'm an accelerationist, so I think I'll start threatening government officials to get the forums shut down and hope that D&D 2.0 has tighter rules against bad posting.

People always complained about the mods before, but now that we seem to have no moderation at all, I can't say that we are better off.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Amergin posted:

Yes. :getin:

EDIT: In other news, we're sending thousands of troops to Africa to build Ebola clinics?

We will fight them over there, not here at home. Or, it is just the right loving thing to do. I don't know anymore.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

anonumos posted:

If you REALLY don't see the differences between the two parties (even in the context of global definitions of left-vs-right), there's nothing to talk about. The bulk of the party is center-right, sure. But the Congressional Progressive Caucus deserves some support, and you can't do that without supporting their Democratic candidates. You can't move the country left-ward (or wherever you want it to move to) by abstaining. You can't push the fight between the Third Way Democrats and the Progressives (or even the True Leftists) by abstaining. And you sure as hell can't push for leftist policy by abstaining. When the electoral left steps out, Democrats have to chase the remaining active vote, which is the center-right. By abstaining, you guarantee that leftist voices are shut out.

The only people that insist there is no difference between the two parties are people that did not watch the Republican debates in 2012.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

anonumos posted:

I've been trying to make that point for a while: "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

After the Bush years, you would think that your argument would make itself.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I'll donate to Clinton if she'll dronestrike whoever keeps changing fonts.

It isn't just me then, thank god. I was trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm very disappointed that universal health care wasn't passed and Obama continued/escalated the spying/torture/drone strikes that started under Bush.

Nothing positive to say about the abuse of executive power but I've personally benefited from Obamacare the Affordable Care Act, which would never have happened under McCain or Romney.

To say nothing about how McCain/Palin would have been the end of civilization.

I feel at times satisfied and highly critical of Obama's performance as President, which at least is better than being miserable all the time under the alternative.

This is kind of a funny post, because where would we be if McCain and Palin had won?

not funny haha, obviously.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I want Amergin and his lovely posts to go away and I want you dickheads to stop loving quoting him.

As far as I'm concerned he's nothing but a loving troll and should have been banned months ago.

The forums don't do moderation anymore, unless you post NWS. I guess everyone is reading the site at work, while complaining about how lazy everyone else in society is. I'm really loving confused.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

fade5 posted:

I'm curious how many of you guys live in Blue or even Purple states vs states where the Republicans control everything. (I'm not being sarcastic, by the way, I'm serious.

I live in Boise ID right now, and we were just rated as the worst drivers in the country. Luckily, I'm moving to San Diego soon, so I won't have to deal with these assholes on the road anymore. (This is an obvious joke, I feel your pain).

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

There's services you can pay to scrub your data. The more they find, the more you pay, so they have an incentive to find everything.

E

The other option is obscurity through quantity. Use differing pseudonyms and different passwords. If one is found, deny existance and disclose sanitized version as yours. Clear or swap GID/AID regularly. Of course, don't be stupid and link them to a common email. Have a throwaway email which you only access from your non-standard device.

E2:

Also, be born with a common name for your race/religion/gender. You would not believe how hard it is to find "John Smith" if you only have a city and state.

The problem is, even with my stupid name that I picked because I was reading a Frederic Pohl novel, I've been online long enough that some people know who I am. I'm not sure anyone would actually come forward and say that they know me online, because it would look bad for them too, but I'm starting to realize that I'm not nearly as anonymous as I imagined. People that I trusted and even met in person are people that I now actively shun. Or they shun me. Give people a decade or so, and you can bet that they are going to have some crazy online stories to talk about.

I'm not just talking about stuff like Something Awful, I'm talking about years of irc logs and in game chat and who knows what else. I didn't ever record or save any of that stuff, but I've had people send me stuff that was almost a decade old and while it was funny, my main thought was, why are you loving saving and recording this?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 18, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Brannock posted:

Haha, yeah, haha lol... the forums... don't do moderation anymore, lmao. Hot take... blisteringly hot take.

Hah, I missed that. I guess we still have some standards.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Everything is saved and recorded. The best option you have is to switch your online identity completely, acquire a new cell with new number, and potentially change street addresses. Then, you can plausibly non-deny deny that any of those logs are yours, must be some other kid with the same name, say, why do you chat with underage kids anyways? I think you might want to have a seat, please.

I have the luxury of knowing that I'm just a peon, while most of these guys are vice presidents at major banks in NY, work for Microsoft, etc. I'm also the liberal idealist, so those logs coming out would be far worse for them than me. Still, when I think that maybe I should run for public office or take a step into the public eye, I really do hesitate. I can't wipe my history away, I've actually met these people in real life on multiple occasions. I've had one of them send me stuff through the mail.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Fragmented posted:

Why? I feel like my best friend has cancer. GBS is a no man's land with people in their trenches and machine gun and mortar fire blowing up what was left of the forum. Remember when they banned people for not using correct punctuation? Well I do and it was awesome. Somethingawful.com come back.

Why? Because there was one thing that set SA apart from the rest of the internet and obviously that was horrible.
I like some flexibility, so I appreciate the looser format. I also realize that the rules about grammar and punctuation were a tax on stupidity. It wasn't a mindless rule that punished people for being lazy, it actually forced people to post better.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It really blows my mind how much they refuse to focus on building the party at a local level in favor of running quixotic Presidential campaigns.

3rd parties are really not practical in this United States. We can reform the Democrats at a local level far easier than we can build a 3rd party.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Miltank posted:

Would somebody point me to a resource that explains the structure of american political parties? How is it that they can be reformed?

Our laws are really convulted, and 3rd parties often can't even get their name on the ballot. They can't get access to debates... etc. We have two parties and they both suck.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, it's because American parties are already giant standing coalitions, making having outside parties to form coalitions with instead redundant.

No matter how fancy you make the voting system, passing alws still requires majorities, there's always a Yes or No binary.

I was actually going to post an edit with something similar to what you said. It is important to understand that a 3rd party is going to be politically useless. Still, we have a system in place that completely neutures any challengers that don't fit into the existing system.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

American politics are weird. We have these threads where we lampoon everything, and we drink etc.

I had just graduated high school when Clinton was elected president. I grew up with Reagan, then Bush #1. The country went loving nuts when Clinton won office, and it was a lot like Obama's first term. The Right wing outrage was everywhere, and you just knew he couldn't win a second term, because everyone hated him. Then when he won, the Right wing outrage machine went into full insanity mode. The same thing happened to Obama. I've watched this poo poo over the past 20 years and I don't even know what to think anymore.

I have a high brow educated idea of what is going on, then I have a simply normal person idea of what is happening, and I have the LOL wtf GOP child portion. After 20 years, the LOL wtf GOP portion is winning. I can't even take this poo poo seriously anymore. Their outrage is amazing. We joke about Behghazi because it is loving stupid, but if you really think about it, they are having another investigation and it is simply unexplainable.

Gay Obama, Moochelle, birth certificate... if you really think about how terrible Republican voters are, you will probably just sink into depression and drink too much. This isn't even the crazy stuff, this is stuff that has been in the national media and covered as serious news. Maybe not the Moochelle part, that is just something every racist hick seems to need to post when she talks about salad.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 18, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ErichZahn posted:

If we had a parliamentary system the Congressional Progressive Caucus would be it's own party. Conservadems would have more excuses to work against them.

The entire blue dog democrat thing that happened a few years ago was horrible. You are exactly right.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ninjasaurus posted:

My Imaginary GF, your political insider info is depressing.

Man... Clinton and Obama were really lucky to have clowns like Dole, McCain and Romney to run against.

Yeah, and Gore still lost to Bush #2 because the Republicans cheat.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Miltank posted:

Ok so what aspects of the government are not de facto controlled by the two political parties?

e:aspects not branches

Local and national politics are different, but people tend to vote strictly along party lines.

I currently live in Idaho, so I can talk about it. If it isn't the most conservative state, it is in the top 2. However, Boise has a Democratic Mayor. The people in Boise are still really Conservative assholes, but they have come to understand the value of community. Hence, the Democratic Mayor. The divide in this country is between rural and urban.

Look at Austin, Salt Lake, Boise... cities in very conservative states, yet these cities aren't what you would call conservative. They vote Liberally, they want services, they understand community.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Transfer all your care to Congress. Stop worrying about the White House. Dems have that locked up in 2016, regardless of whomever you back.

Congress not so much, and Republicans are doing the most damage there, so please focus on that and not Obama's suit color or his taste for liking people who anger everybody.

It may appear right now that there is no way for a Republican to win the Presidency in 2016, but never ever assume that will hold.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

JT Jag posted:

He's the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces and thus outranks every man in uniform in the country. He isn't obligated to do poo poo. It's polite for him to acknowledge troops, like he did here, and people still poo poo on him for it.

They also act like he is an uncaring rear end in a top hat about the entire military, when the reality is; that his his honor guard and he probably knows them all by name and they have the cushiest jobs in the world.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, by all accounts hes down from, uh, super morbidly obese to morbidly obese?

Yeah, when you are that big, it can take losing a lot of weight before it becomes really noticeable. I've seen people lose 60-80 pounds and look exactly the same to me.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

beatlegs posted:

Dunno about skeletons, but he has a tendency to say really stupid/reprehensible things and has the charisma of a garden slug.

He may be a brilliant brain surgeon, but he has really lovely opinions. He also doesn't seem to understand normal social interaction or how society works at all. I assume he has been a brilliant surgeon for most of his life, and I guarantee that no one ever talked back to him or questioned him. He has lived in a very private and privileged bubble for a long time.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He makes me sad because he's literally gently caress You, Got Mine, given how he said he couldn't have made it through childhood without food stamps (and yet he wants to gut them anyway).

Wasn't there something a while back about his former students saying he's a sellout, that he didn't really speak on political issues until he decided to get wingnut welfare bucks or something>

I don't know much about his history. All I know is that he probably has a group of people telling him to run and that he can win. He believes them, because why shouldn't he? He has no idea what he is getting into or how hosed up the majority of this country thinks his views are. I really hope he does run and we get to see him in some debates. He doesn't have the awareness of Herman Cain, but his true believer status makes him a goldmine of potential fun.

Bashez posted:

With all the weight loss he's going to look real old real quick too, I imagine he'll need that patched up as well.

Maybe it is just me, but when I see someone that has lost a lot of weight, I always think they look too skinny. I have an uncle that lost 200 pounds, and even though he was still 190, he just looked too skinny. I think it is that the face loses all of it's fat or something, and you just end up looking weird.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 24, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Joementum posted:

Pat Roberts peers into America's future and doesn't like what he sees.

You know who else split the vote in a three way race.... :godwin:

Watch Bob Dole. When that guy starts talking about National Socialism Dole shakes his head. I saw that Dole was coming out in support of someone, is it this guy? What the gently caress, Dole?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Brannock posted:

It's a personal God-guaranteed American right to eat as loving much as you can.

I may tease Christie, but only because he is a politician. He can't win a race when he is morbidly obese, so I will in fact point out that he is loving obese.
Shaming people simply because they are fat seems rather pointless since it obviously is a social thing, not a personal fault.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

420DD Butts posted:

This is exhibit A of why people mock DnD. No, being loving fat is not the same as having a mental illness, being a minority, or being disabled. None of those people have any control over their conditions. It is possible that people are fat due to any of the above which is why I specifically stated that I don't go out of my way to mock fat people. I don't think it helps. But this is the exact sentiment that has turned literally any effort into making people healthier into an attack on someone's being. For the majority of people, being fat is not a unalterable aspect of their person.

Health advocacy is a social issue, which works from the top down. I don't think anyone is excusing fat people, but making a personal judgement about someone based upon their weight is a waste of time. Getting people healthy and eating better requires a social fix. We have to make it a national issue, and it needs to be addressed through a lot of avenues. One of those avenues is working one on one with the people in question, and giving them the help they need to lose weight. You can fight the battle on an individual basis alone and lose, or you can make it a widespread social issue with various remedies, and win.
Look at smoking. Do you think simply telling smokers that they were bad people would have done anything? No, we had to implement a ton of different social reforms to curb the smoking rate. People still smoke, however. I've never been overweight, but I've read and studied a lot of literature about obesity and it isn't something you can just stop. Once you are obese, odds are, you are going to fight being overweight your entire life. That sounds a lot like an addiction to me.

Good Citizen posted:

In >99% of cases it's both

Yeah, I should have qualified that.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 25, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

What if you're being a dick towards someone's laziness that has resulted in their obesity? That is what I do not stand for.

Maybe they are depressed or something. To you they just seem lazy, but how the gently caress do you really know what is going on?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

That belongs under perceived personal safety of exercise as an activity.

E:

You talk and ask.

You can talk and ask but if someone hasn't accepted that they have an emotional or mental issue, they sure as hell aren't going to just tell you what is really going on. They may not even realize what is happening to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wait, this is a political thread. poo poo.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/phil-robertson-duck-dynasty-vance-mcallister

TPM posted:

Phil Robertson, patriarch of the "Duck Dynasty" clan, has endorsed his nephew, Zach Dasher, in his bid for incumbent Rep. Vance McAllister's (R-LA) seat. Dasher is one of six Republicans vying for McAllister's seat, after McAllister was caught kissing a former staffer in April.

The new radio ad features Robertson and his wife, Kay Robertson, as they state their support for their nephew's campaign.

"I’m Kay Robertson and I’m voting for Zach Dasher," Kay says, before Robertson gives his endorsement.

"I’m Phil Robertson and I’m voting for Zach, my nephew," he says. "He’s been officially and thoroughly vetted by the Robertson clan."

The nephew is running against Vance McAllister, the guy that kissed his married staffer. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/04/vance_mcallister_affair_video.html

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 25, 2014