Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grundulum posted:

This really seems like one of those urban legends that isn't remotely true. Right up there with "they have to tell you the truth if you ask whether they're a cop!"

Yeah, the actual truth is "cops can do whatever the gently caress they want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Wait, what did I miss here? I thought that Darren Wilson was there because someone had reported that Michael Brown had robbed a store.

The alleged "strongarming" by Michael Brown of a convenience store clerk and his intersection with Officer Wilson were unrelated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The racist who took the opportunity of a drunk black person on his property to act out his racist murder fantasy got 15-30.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Looking forward to Cold War II: World War 3: Civil War II: the Nukening.

Nah, Russia's about accomplished its goal and they were going to agree to a cease fire until the Kremlin remembered that they weren't supposed to actually be in a war and couldn't agree to a cease fire in a conflict the ostensibly weren't involved in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

A federal judge just upheld the ban on gay marriage in Louisiana because in his own words,

Well it's been quite a streak but I guess it had to get broken at some point.

Campus carry is a "big" issue for the NRA and assorted gun lobbies. Also it is a big deal for fans of irony and lols.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nate Silver, Harbinger of the Apocalypse has returned.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

Are there still more states where you can marry your cousin than gay marriage states or are there finally more gay marriage states?

If Republicans take the Senate alot of the gains we've made on social issues are going to be rolled back.

Luckily, the veto.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Debt ceiling/government shut down is not a winner for the GOP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

O Team!! Show 'em your O face!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What...what is this feeling I'm feeling...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So what's the sentence? He has to pay back a small percentage of what he made being a crook and gets a few years probation?

Oh, he's gonna get time for sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

effectual posted:

Plea deals are so messed up. I wish they didn't exist.

Every trial would take 20 years to get into a court room.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

So, it looks like the Circuit decision that federal ACA Subsidies are illegal has been vacated (Halbig) and will be re-heard by the full District Court, which is expected to lean towards saying they're legal.

This removes the fast-track to Supreme Court hopes that split Circuit Opinions would have provided.

How's that work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...How many B/CS* goons do we have, anyway?

* - it's my home base, at least.

I grew up there :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even at that egregious overstatement of price increase, that seems like a small price to pay to give people a near living wage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

I love it when these assholes use Big Macs. That makes it so much easier to refute.

$16.88 minimum wage in Australia. Big Mac literally one cent more expensive

I remember a radio piece I heard about the $15 minimum wage in Portland. This pizza owner was crying about how he was going to have to raise the price of a pizza by one dollar in this tone like they were asking him to cut off limbs. I was like, that doesn't sound so bad?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Funny how none of you seem to be addressing the loss in hours worked.

Have fun working half the hours with your new higher minimum wage, assuming you still kept your job.

Half the hours but more money! Works for me!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's true I find conservative relatives respond well to data and strong logical arguments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure that Rush and co. will be reporting this as a regular thing that happens all the time and white people should be very scared.

quote:

“They were playing a game called ‘point them out, knock them out.’ Where they would point someone out and attempt to knock them out or fight them. There was no real reason behind it.

It's wise to avoid all internet comments associated with this incident.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

I wonder if he'll include the new Ray Rice video as an example of this.

Reminder that a ton of people were defending Rice by saying that "we don't know what happened on that elevator". Welp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

All of God's Chosen will be Raptured any day now! No need for continued spending on infrastructure!

This is actually a political issue with some evangelical Christians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

"What if global warming is a hoax and we make a better world for nothing?"

These people are constantly told that Jesus is coming back any minute now so why should they give a gently caress about what happens next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

The cast and producers of SNL are just employees of NBC. If the implication Cruz is making here is that companies should be held fully accountable for whatever their employees do... well, that's one hell of a precedent, with slippery slope that could apply to a lot of things.

I suspect Cruz may be lying to make his point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

The average American is too busy trying to make ends meet to give a poo poo about politics. Knowing policy matters at more than a general level is a bourgeois affection for most.

People aren't stupid. They are busy, apathetic, and have been carefully groomed and lied to by one of the most effective propaganda machines in history.

Assuming you are smarter than the public is liberal as gently caress.

In my case it's true though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh, Scott Carney is going to be a political commentator on CNN.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Just listen to NPR?

Ha!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

This is how they deal with almost every issue.

Hmmm how to help poor people? Tax cuts for the rich!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Robert Costa posted this on Twitter about the Cruz SNAFU:

@costareports: After Dent spoke w/ Post, I saw him priv huddle with other Rs who were there last night, talk Cruz. Shaking of heads, sighs.

He really is the Louis Gohmert of the Senate.

Is this in reference to the thing at the ME Christians dinner or the SNL thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, here's HST writing on 9/12/01.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erm I think that Lindsay Graham might be overstating his case.

quote:

"There's no way in hell you can form an army on the ground to go into Syria to destroy ISIL without a substantial American component," said Graham, a prominent war hawk on Capitol Hill. "This president needs to rise to the occasion before we all get killed back here at home."
All? :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Make sure you shake out your boots before putting them on, in case there's an ISIS man hiding in there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

I wonder if Lindsey Graham sits on his couch each night, trembling in fear of being attacked by brown people. Dude is even worse than McCain about invading people.

He has to keep his constituency whipped up into a frothing lather at all times or they might have time to go "wait a minute...confirmed bachelor?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Nate Silver is completely wrong and the Democrats will retain the Senate.

His current model is just about even.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miltank posted:

society isn't a business or a car or window blinds or your foot. This sort of "common sense" wisdom is useless.

Purposefully inflicting harm on society in an effort to motivate a populist uprising is bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miltank posted:

its not about inciting uprising its about not accepting neoliberalism from the democrats.

e: the real 2016 election is likely to be the democratic primary

Uhm that's not accelerationism. That's voting for the Green Party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

What makes an accelerationist so sure that their philosophy will be the one to emerge triumphant from the wreckage?

The number of justices is set by Congress.

Ideological purity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ask Hamas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Making things get worse faster is like the definition of accelerationism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

It's a regular United Nations down at the Texas border these days, according to Ted Poe (R-TX).

Those tricksy Ukranians! Who's going to infiltrate Texas next? The Scots, probably. They've done it before.

I hear that spoooky ghosts and skeletons are gonna sneak across next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Karl Rove brings us a scene from The View: Denver as part of the Republican outreach to women.

Huh, surprised he's still allowed to spend money after '12.