Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You can go on seek right now, click hospitality and see a numerous amount of Barista/FOH jobs all listing 5 years experience as a requirement. These jobs are not listed for young adults. These are listing to help their generation not ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Seagull posted:

So what does he mean by "earn, learn or work"? Are people meant to work even if they won't earn from it?

Everyone must do their part for the ~economy~. Jesus knew that there was a job for everyone and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to receive financial compensation.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I got an automated email back from SPOTLESS saying that I'm OVERQUALIFIED for the position. Just let me clean dishes or something guys.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I got an automated email back from SPOTLESS saying that I'm OVERQUALIFIED for the position. Just let me clean dishes or something guys.

Anidav, what has the LNP told you? Earn (money hooking) or Learn (that your only option is hooking). Work or Twerk buddy.

Jobbies or Gobbies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

gently caress you, Ewen, the new Smash Bros has more credibility than your party. Villager's economic policy has more guaranteed returns, judging by Samus and Mega Man they actually have a science policy, and the series as a whole is a testament to the strength of their immigration platform, especially given the model citizen that is Sonic.

EDIT: Every Pokemon in Smash is a rare one, so their commitment to wildlife preservation is top-notch.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 30, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I'm earning and learning, and I'm going to personally attribute my success to Nintendo.

Thank you Nintendo.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cleretic posted:

gently caress you, Ewen, the new Smash Bros has more credibility than your party. Villager's economic policy has more guaranteed returns, judging by Samus and Mega Man they actually have a science policy, and the series as a whole is a testament to the strength of their immigration platform, especially given the model citizen that is Sonic.

Their rehabilitation efforts could use some work. I mean sure, Ganondorf is a fine fellow now, but they've really dropped the ball on helping folks like Ridley get back on their feet.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think it was Fox, but their effective tax rate last year was 1% and this is before the near $1 billion rebate to News. Lifters indeed.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

If you go for jobs that you're clearly overqualified for then what do you expect? No one wants to hire some uni student to do a job like that because they know that you won't take it seriously, at least not the way someone who depends on it for their livelihood will.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Great now I'm running into job applications that literally list "457 preferred". Could Brisbane get any more shady?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

If you go for jobs that you're clearly overqualified for then what do you expect? No one wants to hire some uni student to do a job like that because they know that you won't take it seriously, at least not the way someone who depends on it for their livelihood will.

Yes but if in my current unemployed state I earn $0, and if I were employed I would earn $n where n>0, and I cannot live earning $0, then I think I would take that employment quite seriously.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Anidav posted:

You can go on seek right now, click hospitality and see a numerous amount of Barista/FOH jobs all listing 5 years experience as a requirement. These jobs are not listed for young adults. These are listing to help their generation not ours.

Have you considered lying on your resume?

This may shock you but people do that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

The Liberal National party has staged a turnaround in Queensland and now has a comfortable lead over Labor in the leadup to the 2015 election, a Newspoll shows.

The poll which looked at voting intentions if a state election was held tomorrow, and which was published in the Australian on Tuesday, shows the LNP leads Labor 54% to 46% on a two-party preferred basis.

Fucken Queensland.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BBJoey posted:

Yes but if in my current unemployed state I earn $0, and if I were employed I would earn $n where n>0, and I cannot live earning $0, then I think I would take that employment quite seriously.

For a while sure, but it's not going to be long before you realise you can do better.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Have you considered lying on your resume?

This may shock you but people do that.

I'm pretty sure he lied and told a Japanese Restaurant that he speaks Japanese just the other day.

Good luck with your work trial dude.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Cruelty aside, I don't even get how the 6 month wait would be beneficial. Surely something like 4 weeks emergency payment and then cutting it off would make more sense?

If there are so many deadbeat bludgers out there, won't they be encouraged to not look for work once they get closer to 6 months? And might not want a job once they get on it for fear of having to start their 6 months again if they become unemployed?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Adnar posted:

Cruelty aside, I don't even get how the 6 month wait would be beneficial.
There is no point aside from cruelty. It's not about saving money, it's not about preventing a skills shortage, it's about punishing people and making them afraid of losing or not having a job.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Exactly, it comes from the same place as the suggestions that workers should be able to "opt out" of Fair Work laws in order to persuade an employer to take them on. It's all about dragging down conditions at the lower end.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is no point aside from cruelty. It's not about saving money, it's not about preventing a skills shortage, it's about punishing people and making them afraid of losing or not having a job.

Work Choices by way of stealth.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Our industrial relations system relies on people calling out their employers for unfair practices. If you can't get or survive on Newstart, you aren't likely to compromise your employment by complaining about being mistreated.

No complaints, no industrial relations laws being used, bosses do whatever they want. Welcome to the 1820s.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Let's pull a Parisian and get drunk at lunch and build a loving barricade.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tomorrow I'm going to shoot resumes at Brookeside but besides that I feel like I'm all out of cards.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
SBS headline: 'Fat' MP claims people on welfare eat junk food and play video games

quote:

The outspoken MP from north Queensland is no stranger to snacks, having famously reacted with outrage to a government run heathly food rating system, claiming the government had no right warning people they were eating unhealthy food.

“I am obese and I carry a lot of weight and I always have and my thing is I’m not fat because I’m stupid, I’m fat because I eat too much,” he said at the time.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could anything remotely like the proposed six month unemployment benefits hiatus ever have a chance of getting through the senate?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor will probably vote for it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress would they do that?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I did both of these things while on welfare. But then so did everybody I know who has a job in the tech industry.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

Why the gently caress would they do that?

Because the Labor party in its current form is literally the most cowardly, hypocritical, and problematic political organisation in Australia's history.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

People aren't poor because they're unemployed, they're poor because they work too little :eng101:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

By my incredibly rough estimates, Townsville has around 100k people employed, an unemployment rate of 10%, and 500-1000 jobs advertised.

Draw some conclusions.

Endman posted:

Because the Labor party in its current form is literally the most cowardly, hypocritical, and problematic political organisation in Australia's history.

Opposing IR changes is the easiest thing in the world for them. Their base opposes it, their financial backers oppose it, they've personally campaigned against it, they won government last time it was a major thing. They're not going to support it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Opposing IR changes is the easiest thing in the world for them. Their base opposes it, their financial backers oppose it, they've personally campaigned against it, they won government last time it was a major thing. They're not going to support it.
I think you're missing the part where they have a backbone made of helium.

I just binge watched Hollowmen. It was great and it was spookily similar to today except for the parts where they were scared of a savaging by the opposition.

:wefukt:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

I think you're missing the part where they have a backbone made of helium.
I think that telling the unions to gently caress off would require more spine though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Endman posted:

I still want to know how they think 2007 happened. Because I'm pretty sure they won by a landslide by having the guts to stand up and say 'these other guys are terrible and making GBS threads all over you, you deserve better and we can give you better, especially you young people that they hate with a passion'.

That is the easiest loving thing in the world to understand, it's literally just looking at the LNP's entire platform and saying 'no' with a lot of conviction. Do the guys in charge of the Labor party just not understand how they win?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Cleretic posted:

I still want to know how they think 2007 happened. Because I'm pretty sure they won by a landslide by having the guts to stand up and say 'these other guys are terrible and making GBS threads all over you, you deserve better and we can give you better, especially you young people that they hate with a passion'.

That is the easiest loving thing in the world to understand, it's literally just looking at the LNP's entire platform and saying 'no' with a lot of conviction. Do the guys in charge of the Labor party just not understand how they win?

Yes

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm interested in the experiences of african australians so I am going to don blackface and walk around noble park for the next two days before reporting my findings back to the comments section of andrew bolt's blog, wish me luck

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I'd argue 2007 wasn't down to anything Labor did but Howard overreaching.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

I'd argue 2007 wasn't down to anything Labor did but Howard overreaching.

Rudd was selling a positive, forward-looking platform too. It played well off the perception that Howard's time was up. The Coalition might have lost even if it had been Beazley vs Howard (or Beazley vs Costello), but Rudd's time as Opposition Leader put the nails in the coffin.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yeah, idiots weren't wearing Kevin '07 shirts just because they hated Howard.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Who's got the October OP? It's the 1st tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Who's got the October OP? It's the 1st tomorrow.

it got outsourced

• Locked thread