Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Tollymain posted:

is there a fiasco variant that's got more "the hangover" type hijinks than the deadly type?

"Vegas Baby!" is a playset specifically for Hangover shenanigans, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I want to run a game for Halloween.

What system do you think would be best for playing a bunch of Frat Skeletons in the Steve Lichman universe?

Dread, except take out the horror, and replace with supernatural party, and when you pull all the players and the gm are chanting your name. and lots of solo cups and cheap beer. When the tower falls your character blacks out for the night.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

Dread, except take out the horror, and replace with supernatural party, and when you pull all the players and the gm are chanting your name. and lots of solo cups and cheap beer. When the tower falls your character blacks out for the night.

gently caress fiasco, do this

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
First character

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Jon Joe posted:

Just the cultural expectation of freedom = good, less freedom = worse, more freedom = better, psychologists = tricky little devils who will remove your free will with their jedi mind tricks.

It's all very silly and based on a juvenile understanding of freedom and psychology, but it'll be really hard to break people past that.

This is going back, but you all managed to talk about psychological utopias without mentioning actual behaviourist BF Skinner's actual sci fi novel Walden Two that was explicitly about how much better things are without that worrying free will thing. Plus it came out a year before 1984, so it wasn't even slightly ironic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jon Joe posted:

Why not run a campaign that starts with a large pile of dead god corpses and ends with the protagonists' home towns burning down?
So... Lord of the Rings?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Destrado posted:

This is going back, but you all managed to talk about psychological utopias without mentioning actual behaviourist BF Skinner's actual sci fi novel Walden Two that was explicitly about how much better things are without that worrying free will thing. Plus it came out a year before 1984, so it wasn't even slightly ironic.

Heh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Tollymain posted:

Basically I mean an intentional attempt to create a specifically defined society; the clones/AIs/carefully selected volunteers are optional, mainly the thought is "create a nondysfunctional society based on what we know of the sciences of psychology and sociology".

I'd include economics but that's not really a science :haw:

If all contact with the rest of humanity was cut off and the children birthed inside this society knew of nothing else, then this society might be able to last until external forces caused changes in society. Any disruptions in the society, from extremely bad weather to outside influence, would lead to its ruin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tollymain posted:

random science fiction genre-related thought; could an artificial society designed by people well-informed by sociology and psychology be workable in the long-term?

Oddly enough, I was just looking over Albedo: Platinum Catalyst again, which (despite being based on a furry comic) is basically this plus NATO/UN Peacekeeping In Space. The inhabitants of the area of space where it takes place just wake up one day, with an omnipresent, helpful AI and preprogrammed scientific knowledge, and the AI quietly tries to shape them towards constant tolerance, lack of violent physical contact, etc. It leads to a society with just about no concept of art or history and to a bunch of rear end in a top hat rabbits going off into the colonies and reinventing fascism from first principles while the grey, conformist 'ConFed' is a society based solely on trying to win the approval of the AI that watches over everything, literally basing all advancement in private and public life on how well your behaviors and services boost your 'social-political intelligence test' scores. Weird setting that I found wasn't any fun to play in, but the rules system is really cool.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So it's the "computer-as-god" motif from 50s sci-fi

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, though the inhabitants don't realize they're sort of religiously worshipping it and that wasn't the intent of the experiment, I think. I know nothing about the comic, only the RPG, because a friend of mine bought it after we played the last RPG by Sanguine, Ironclaw. Sanguine makes weird furry games, but their rules systems are really interesting and the games are pretty cool.

Also, in memory of Watership Down I can kinda get behind insane Nazi rabbits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Playing the well-known furry RPG for the rules? ...I see. Very well, carry on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It does a good job of getting across medieval/renaissance combat, especially the early firearms, and the skill systems work well out of combat. I think it was partially reviewed in the Fatal and Friends thread.

Actually, that brings to mind something else. Are there any other RPGs that have actually done muskets and early pistols well? The horrible mess of those rules in Pathfinder/3.5 is just depressing.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Playing the well-known furry RPG for the rules? ...I see. Very well, carry on.

I had a friend unironically suggest we play Ironclaw next after we wrapped up a Warhammer FRP game once. He later sent me a bunch of pdfs of the books and kept talking about how cool animals were.

We did not play Ironclaw. Although I should look and see if someone has already done a Fatal & Friends of it

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tollymain posted:

is there a fiasco variant that's got more "the hangover" type hijinks than the deadly type?

The Fiasco Companion includes a soft tilt and a soft aftermath table.

Well, "soft" being a relative term. You are still in the legendary dimensional worst place in the universe if you get a 0.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I had a friend unironically suggest we play Ironclaw next after we wrapped up a Warhammer FRP game once. He later sent me a bunch of pdfs of the books and kept talking about how cool animals were.

We did not play Ironclaw. Although I should look and see if someone has already done a Fatal & Friends of it
Ironclaw itself is benign. It a more mature version of Disney's Robin Hood (in the sense of complex plots, etc) than anything else.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
While I don't have my books on me, it's worth noting that The Worst Thing is A) context-relative, and B) usually specifically involves you living, even if you'd rather not.

Honestly Fiasco is best when nobody dies, so that everyone keeps loving up and suffering.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everything I've ever seen about Ironclaw (and Jadeclaw) suggests to me that it's totally benign and not creepy. Which is cool, really, talking animal people are pretty neat on their own.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Mors Rattus posted:

Everything I've ever seen about Ironclaw (and Jadeclaw) suggests to me that it's totally benign and not creepy. Which is cool, really, talking animal people are pretty neat on their own.

Yeah, the game itself just swaps elves and dwarves for cats and dogs, which at least gets part of the way out of the Tolkien rut.

That some people are creepy about talking animal people doesn't reflect poorly on the game, plenty of nerds manage to be creeplords in games without them after all.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Well thats good to hear at least, I only skimmed through it and didn't really ever consider it due to the appearance of furries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, I've heard good things about Ironclaw's mechanics, but enver really took it very seriously (D&D style games aren't really my thing though). The thing that always stood out to me about it is the cover (at least of the edition I saw) was totally a Slayers Rip off with Lina Inverse and Naga turned into squirrels or something. :v:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I think that was an earlier edition, which... yeah. More recent one seems legit:

I think there's a bunch more in the modrons thread somewhere.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

grassy gnoll posted:

While I don't have my books on me, it's worth noting that The Worst Thing is A) context-relative, and B) usually specifically involves you living, even if you'd rather not.

Honestly Fiasco is best when nobody dies, so that everyone keeps loving up and suffering.

I like it best when someone dies halfway through and they get to explore their agency through flashbacks and setups.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the plagiaristic original cover aside, Ironclaw is okay. It doesn't quite work well but it had some interesting system ideas considering when it came out. Albedo is basically one of the great-grandfathers of all things furry, and the RPG stuff was mostly a sci-fi story that happened to have animals in it.

Not bad stuff really if you're looking for that sort of thing, but also not a lot to pull you if you aren't.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Did the D&D Next thread get gassed again or has it just gone super-quiet?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mors Rattus posted:

I could totally see someone being a huge fan of it and leading to a legendary Cat Piss Man thread post, but the game itself is pretty much just straight-faced and (IIRC) relatively low-magic fantasy with animal people instead of the usual cliche fantasy races. Jadeclaw meanwhile probably did "Asian fantasy" better than a heck of a lot of other Western-made RPGs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The reason I was going over Albedo is because a friend wants to use the RPG system to run a milscifi game with the furry races replaced as just general body type/personality type humans. We liked the way it modeled battlefield trauma and psychology, with the way almost everything that happens, even if it doesn't hurt you, slowly ticks a counter called Awe that will eventually overwhelm your Drive and become trauma. The dice mechanics are also pretty interesting, for a crunchy military sci fi game. From the short bit I played in the original setting, one thing I really liked is that killing other people in horrible ways (direct hit with a grenade, watching someone get iced by an HMG, etc) causes Awe to both sides of the fight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not locked, I think people just got burnt out on it. I learned a bunch about D&D history and game design concepts after reading through all of it over the last 2 weeks. I've since grown a healthy disdain for "skills" when you already have attributes (at most, I would prefer a "background" for people to justify throwing in +1s and +2s per, 13A-style) and a healthy appreciation for how the temporal mechanics of old-school D&D interacted with everything else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Of all the furry things he could be into, Ironclaw isn't that bad. I had a similar guy who was pushing this game at a school club for a one shot. He never said the game was about furries when asking if we wanted to play it, gave us pregens with no art, and just had us do a fairly standard one-shot (explore town, sneak into bandit camp, kill them, get reward). While I did think it was odd at first all our pregens were animal people, I just wrote it off as the cliche it is. It didn't even dawn on me it was a furry game until I looked the game up later.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Imp Zone migration claims another victim.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
If you need to run a game for someone who insists on animal people, just run Mouse Guard.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If you are so loving paranoid of the "FURRIES" freak out that's like a decade old now that you can't play what is basically "Disney Animation the Game" then you have far bigger problems then Ironclaw.

Like if you are sincerely terrified that playing as any sort of animal character will lead you down a dark path into whatever it is you are imagining then you need to find either a professional or Jesus.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Is Jesus a cat or a dog person?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Traveller posted:

Is Jesus a cat or a dog person?

Horrifying lamb/lion hybrid

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Or maybe your own professional Jesus.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I played a Cortex+ game at GenCon that the guy had updates Justifiers. I was worried it would be some wierd furry thing. It was good fun instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you are so loving paranoid of the "FURRIES" freak out that's like a decade old now that you can't play what is basically "Disney Animation the Game" then you have far bigger problems then Ironclaw.

Like if you are sincerely terrified that playing as any sort of animal character will lead you down a dark path into whatever it is you are imagining then you need to find either a professional or Jesus.

I think it's a good time for all furries around to speak out and show themselves, in order to defeat the long prejudice that SA had against them. I wish good speed to all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pffft. I only play furries in superior RPGs, like a Hawaiian T-shirt wearing Vargr in Traveller. :smug:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nice gangtags plut, i didn't know you were mates with knuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pffft. I only play furries in superior RPGs, like a Hawaiian T-shirt wearing Vargr in Traveller. :smug:
The best furry game has always been Palladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness.

• Locked thread