Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I guess I probably count as a lurker, I only really post every couple of weeks, if that.

And I'd really like to go to GenCon next year, but I don't know if I'll be in a position where I can. Also all of my friends usually start school around when it happens so I don't know if I'd be able to go with anyone, and kind of don't want to go alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Goon Train sounds rad, and I was probably going to avoid air travel anyway to cut down on costs.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Quarex posted:

Yesssssss ..... yessssssssssss

Where would you be coming in from? We should clearly start seriously analyzing this possibility. If I trained in it would be from Plattsburgh, New York, to Chicago ... unless it was from Washington D.C. to Chicago instead but that assumes a lot.

I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and don't really know anything about train routes.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think that the high shipping price is an error, and if you contact IPR, they'll lower it.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jacque Pott posted:

Yeah, Subway stores do the this too with piping in the smell of freshly baked bread outside their stores to make people want to come in for a sandwich. Well, that is what friends say it makes them want anyway, I always thought it smelled bad; as if someone left a box of frozen pizzas out in the sun.

Ugh, for real, Subways smell super gross.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Well, Fate Accelerated almost already does that for Fate Core's problems of bad stunt design and occasionally restrictive skills, even though it came out at the same time as Core.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I don't know about that. I'm pretty new to Fate and don't know about a lot of versions of the game, but Fate Core is really clean, and I can see how releasing a game with a ton of subsystems could really bloat the system down. Aspects and Stunts are really nice and versatile, and I don't see how avoiding using them would help anything.

Like, subsytems can be cool and all, but I think the best design in Fate should stick to the Fractal and make use of already existing parts.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think I've got you guys now. I was picturing subsystems as a much bigger thing than you meant.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I thought that while Burning Wheel isn't moddable, it is modular. The various subsystems are all pretty easy to remove and run without, and you probably should while you're learning the game or for scenes that you don't want to be too complex. Like, not every fight should use the Fight! rules, that's only for big, important fights.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
So, this is changing the topic, but most of my rpg group is becoming really awful with scheduling with the exception of one person. Me and him still want to play, but can't really get a game going. What are good systems as far as solo games go?

Also, I guess we could try doing something online, but that's never worked out so well for us in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I really, really wanted to back Breakfast Cult, but I just have no money right now. Definitely going to buy it once it actually comes out.

• Locked thread