Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bwee
good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
:agreed: but
what the gently caress are all these shows

Psychedelicatessen

my new dog posted:

is american television, don't worry

saboten

hong kong phooey

hong kong p'tooey thats the sound of me spitting right in that bumbling rear end in a top hat janitor dog's face

A CARTOON WITH A LAUGH TRACK??

hong kong phooey was a piece of poo poo and so is anyone who enjoyed that show

also it was probably racist

Bwee

the unabonger

saboten posted:

hong kong phooey

hong kong p'tooey thats the sound of me spitting right in that bumbling rear end in a top hat janitor dog's face

Pedantra

by Lowtax

my new dog posted:

Matoi Ryuko

How old are you/what country are you from?

tao of lmao

saboten posted:

hong kong phooey

I agree with this 100% and would like to add that Muttly's laugh on Wacky Races is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

tao of lmao

Also

Bwee posted:

good thread

bwatts

We've all had a lot of fun attacking defenseless, irrelevant cartoons - Doug? Who's Doug? - here over the past few days, but I think it's time to take a closer look at one of the big dogs. Today, I'll be looking into the history of Teletubbies.

Teletubbies has been around since the late 90s, produced by Ragdoll Productions and written by Anne Wood and Andrew Davenport. Although marketed to children, the show is actually a semi-documentary which follows four avant-garde musicians (members of the supergroup The Teletubbies) in their daily lives living together in the Tubbytronic Superdome, as they work on an album together, over the course of a year. They were filmed every single day throughout the year, resulting in 365 episodes, some of which dealt with adult themes, such as oppression, and transgender and race issues. As a result of filming every day and having to work with that specific footage, the episodes’ pacing was erratic, which often drew criticism.

The show contains the following characters:

Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky is the first member and 'face' of The Teletubbies. He is 'the big purple one' and struggles with his femininity throughout the show. His distinguishing features are a red bag which is with him at all times, and his triangular antenna. He is meek, though intelligent, and has been described as a tortured genius. Ultimately, Tinky Winky had the roughest time as a result of the show’s popularity.

Dipsy

Dipsy is a keyboardist in The Teletubbies, named after his straight antenna, which resembles a dipstick. He is the most headstrong of the group, and is very stubborn. He also struggles with anger issues as a result of the abuse he received at a young age due to his darker skin colour. He's considered by the rest of the group to be the funniest member. After the show he continued producing music, and wrote a satirical book about politics, a subject he is shown to have very strong opinions on throughout the show.

Laa-Laa

Laa-Laa plays the violin, and contributes female vocals to the band. Her antenna is curly, and she looks after the members of the group throughout the series. Her bubbly persona often means she is the result of unwanted attention from outsiders, something which is not dealt with much in the show. Since Teletubbies, Laa-Laa has kept to herself and now lives a quiet life in Yorkshire, though she apparently keeps in touch with her co-stars. She has stated in interview that she somewhat resents the fame brought by the show, but does not regret her choice to take part.

Po

Po is the youngest of the group, and plays a wide array of instruments for the band. She is Cantonese, and sings the Cantonese vocals on The Teletubbies' album. She still performs music, though it is much more accessible than her work with The Teletubbies. An example of her work can be found here.

Noo-noo

Noo-noo is the housekeeper, and looks after the Tubbytronic Superdome throughout the year, very rarely venturing outside. Noo-noo is shown throughout the series to have a vindictive personality, damaging the possessions of others out of annoyance, and a dry, ironic sense of humour. Very little is known about Noo-noo's life outside the show, he has never done any acting work or - to my knowledge - released any music, making him a very enigmatic character indeed.

The Sun Baby

The Sun Baby is the fantasical element of the show, and serves as an antagonist. It is implied throughout the series to have implanted televisions in the stomaches of the band members and imprisoned Noo-noo. It also controls the voice trumpets which dictate what happens, and when. It has been suggested that the Sun Baby is loosely based on Alistair Campbell, but no explicit confirmation or denial has been offered by those involved.

To give the feeling of isolation throughout the show, most negative things that the artists experienced during their time at the Superdome were attributed to a fictional creature known as the Sun Baby, who represents evil in the world. Comparisons to countless villains have been made, many saying that the Sun Baby is a parody of Alistair Campbell, but the official line is that "the Sun Baby is whomever or whatever you interpret him as”, something with has been confirmed by Andrew Davenport, who said the Sun Baby was designed to reflect whatever evil the viewer wanted to see.
Teletubbies was, in essence, performance art. The artists developed their own language to communicate while on camera (which was the majority of the time throughout the year,) which is usually considered to be incoherent babbling by those who haven't studied the project, despite its intricacy. Creating characters was considered, but in the end it was decided that each of the Tubbies should just play themselves, with no embellishment to their personality, in order to keep their interactions grounded in reality. The show catapulted all involved to fame, and for the first time ever, avant-garde was in the mainstream's gaze. It was a strange time, as the media struggled to follow people who weren't designed to be in the media, performing strange events, or even doing things that were unusable to the press due to their nature. Eventually, the interest died out for the most part, leaving members such as Po to do whatever they wished, although interest remained, focused on a certain member.

Behind the scenes, Tinky Winky had a darker side. Towards the end of filming, after the show had started broadcasting and media coverage was at a high, he was involved in a sexual harassment scandal - something which was controversially not brought up in the show. However, years later, all four Tubbies still claim that Tinky Winky is innocent. In a recent article, Po defended him again

Po posted:

He would never have done anything like that. Over the time that I've known him, several girls have esentially thrown themselves at him and he's turned them all down. I think a lot of it is to do with his issues with gender, which stressed him out a lot when we were filming the project and for some time afterwards.
and Dipsy said similar things in an interview in 2009 with The Guardian

Dipsy posted:

After my falling out with Tinky Winky, people would always ask at parties: "oh, you're not friends any more. He did it, right?" I'm not naming names, but journalists and even people who I'd have thought were friends of his were asking me this. I said to them the same thing every time, and I'll say it now: I don't believe he did anything of the kind. The girls who accused him were proven to have been working together on their stories, and to attack him with that kind of thing is just awful. Truly, truly awful.

The allegations didn't go away for a long time, until Tinky Winky settled out-of-court "in order to preserve [his] mental health", but it didn't stop there. His attempts to distance himself from the public eye didn't help, and his addictions to painkillers and alcohol resurfaced. He's been in and out of rehab for the past few years, but the people close to him say things are looking up. Is it possible that we'll see another The Teletubbies album, drug-addled and public or otherwise? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

FluffieDuckie

Bureaus Watts posted:

We've all had a lot of fun attacking defenseless, irrelevant cartoons - Doug? Who's Doug? - here over the past few days, but I think it's time to take a closer look at one of the big dogs. Today, I'll be looking into the history of Teletubbies.

Teletubbies has been around since the late 90s, produced by Ragdoll Productions and written by Anne Wood and Andrew Davenport. Although marketed to children, the show is actually a semi-documentary which follows four avant-garde musicians (members of the supergroup The Teletubbies) in their daily lives living together in the Tubbytronic Superdome, as they work on an album together, over the course of a year. They were filmed every single day throughout the year, resulting in 365 episodes, some of which dealt with adult themes, such as oppression, and transgender and race issues. As a result of filming every day and having to work with that specific footage, the episodes’ pacing was erratic, which often drew criticism.

The show contains the following characters:

Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky is the first member and 'face' of The Teletubbies. He is 'the big purple one' and struggles with his femininity throughout the show. His distinguishing features are a red bag which is with him at all times, and his triangular antenna. He is meek, though intelligent, and has been described as a tortured genius. Ultimately, Tinky Winky had the roughest time as a result of the show’s popularity.

Dipsy

Dipsy is a keyboardist in The Teletubbies, named after his straight antenna, which resembles a dipstick. He is the most headstrong of the group, and is very stubborn. He also struggles with anger issues as a result of the abuse he received at a young age due to his darker skin colour. He's considered by the rest of the group to be the funniest member. After the show he continued producing music, and wrote a satirical book about politics, a subject he is shown to have very strong opinions on throughout the show.

Laa-Laa

Laa-Laa plays the violin, and contributes female vocals to the band. Her antenna is curly, and she looks after the members of the group throughout the series. Her bubbly persona often means she is the result of unwanted attention from outsiders, something which is not dealt with much in the show. Since Teletubbies, Laa-Laa has kept to herself and now lives a quiet life in Yorkshire, though she apparently keeps in touch with her co-stars. She has stated in interview that she somewhat resents the fame brought by the show, but does not regret her choice to take part.

Po

Po is the youngest of the group, and plays a wide array of instruments for the band. She is Cantonese, and sings the Cantonese vocals on The Teletubbies' album. She still performs music, though it is much more accessible than her work with The Teletubbies. An example of her work can be found here.

Noo-noo

Noo-noo is the housekeeper, and looks after the Tubbytronic Superdome throughout the year, very rarely venturing outside. Noo-noo is shown throughout the series to have a vindictive personality, damaging the possessions of others out of annoyance, and a dry, ironic sense of humour. Very little is known about Noo-noo's life outside the show, he has never done any acting work or - to my knowledge - released any music, making him a very enigmatic character indeed.

The Sun Baby

The Sun Baby is the fantasical element of the show, and serves as an antagonist. It is implied throughout the series to have implanted televisions in the stomaches of the band members and imprisoned Noo-noo. It also controls the voice trumpets which dictate what happens, and when. It has been suggested that the Sun Baby is loosely based on Alistair Campbell, but no explicit confirmation or denial has been offered by those involved.

To give the feeling of isolation throughout the show, most negative things that the artists experienced during their time at the Superdome were attributed to a fictional creature known as the Sun Baby, who represents evil in the world. Comparisons to countless villains have been made, many saying that the Sun Baby is a parody of Alistair Campbell, but the official line is that "the Sun Baby is whomever or whatever you interpret him as”, something with has been confirmed by Andrew Davenport, who said the Sun Baby was designed to reflect whatever evil the viewer wanted to see.
Teletubbies was, in essence, performance art. The artists developed their own language to communicate while on camera (which was the majority of the time throughout the year,) which is usually considered to be incoherent babbling by those who haven't studied the project, despite its intricacy. Creating characters was considered, but in the end it was decided that each of the Tubbies should just play themselves, with no embellishment to their personality, in order to keep their interactions grounded in reality. The show catapulted all involved to fame, and for the first time ever, avant-garde was in the mainstream's gaze. It was a strange time, as the media struggled to follow people who weren't designed to be in the media, performing strange events, or even doing things that were unusable to the press due to their nature. Eventually, the interest died out for the most part, leaving members such as Po to do whatever they wished, although interest remained, focused on a certain member.

Behind the scenes, Tinky Winky had a darker side. Towards the end of filming, after the show had started broadcasting and media coverage was at a high, he was involved in a sexual harassment scandal - something which was controversially not brought up in the show. However, years later, all four Tubbies still claim that Tinky Winky is innocent. In a recent article, Po defended him again
and Dipsy said similar things in an interview in 2009 with The Guardian

The allegations didn't go away for a long time, until Tinky Winky settled out-of-court "in order to preserve [his] mental health", but it didn't stop there. His attempts to distance himself from the public eye didn't help, and his addictions to painkillers and alcohol resurfaced. He's been in and out of rehab for the past few years, but the people close to him say things are looking up. Is it possible that we'll see another The Teletubbies album, drug-addled and public or otherwise? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

holy cow

emmie

tao of lmao

holy moley

dogcrash truther

haha

posting smiling

haha

Bureaus Watts posted:

The Sun Baby

ahahahaa

the unabonger

lmao

El Spider

El Spider

can you redo the analysis but just call the characters pieces of poo poo that have no depth and would only appeal to 5 year olds

dogcrash truther

Los Lobos posted:

can you redo the analysis but just call the characters pieces of poo poo that have no depth and would only appeal to 5 year olds

im cute

:holymoley:

i am he

Whats up chucklefucks?! Everyone's favorite fuckmuncher, me THE PSYCHO CHILDREN'S TV SHOW REVIEWER , is back for another INSANE brutalization of a popular show aimed at toddlers. After last week's psychotic takedown of Barney and Friends I bet you thought I didn't have any more bloodthirst left, guess again shitstains! On the chopping block this week we've got the objectively fuckshit piss show Bob the Builder. Let's tear this garbage to shreds piece by bloody piece!

1. First, the writing . This whole team of piss poor writers should be insanely slaughtered for writing such a formulaic show that didn't feature one episode that deviated from the standard premise. Jesus tittyfucking Christ is it bad . I wonder what's going to happen this episode? Maybe Bob WILL loving BUILD SOMETHING JUST LIKE THE LAST 50 EPISODES YOU SHITLORDS!!

2. It's 2014 and we live in a post racist society!! When Mr. Sabatini, the painfully stereotypical Italian pizza shop owner, only present to satisfy left wing fuckfaces demands for diversity, speaks with a distinguishable Italian accent I want to murder his voice actor, Peter Van Wagner . I'm not a racist cuntwagon, but try including some relatable characters for the white majority for once!

3. TV show characters are supposed to be interesting, right?? Cultivating well rounded, visually interesting characters is an important part of children's programming. Am I insane for thinking that?? Don't answer that . Looks like the creator of Bob the Builder, Keith Chapman, didn't get that memo. Probably too busy sleeping in a puddle of his own poo poo and piss to pay attention to his mentor, Jim Henson, who actually knew what the flying gently caress he was doing and created some really imaginative and three dimensional characters. Rest in peace, Jim.

I hope you've enjoyed..actually I don't give a poo poo fucknuggets!! See you next time, until then, this psycho is out of here!!

bwatts

i am he posted:

Whats up chucklefucks?! Everyone's favorite fuckmuncher, me THE PSYCHO CHILDREN'S TV SHOW REVIEWER , is back for another INSANE brutalization of a popular show aimed at toddlers. After last week's psychotic takedown of Barney and Friends I bet you thought I didn't have any more bloodthirst left, guess again shitstains! On the chopping block this week we've got the objectively fuckshit piss show Bob the Builder. Let's tear this garbage to shreds piece by bloody piece!

1. First, the writing . This whole team of piss poor writers should be insanely slaughtered for writing such a formulaic show that didn't feature one episode that deviated from the standard premise. Jesus tittyfucking Christ is it bad . I wonder what's going to happen this episode? Maybe Bob WILL loving BUILD SOMETHING JUST LIKE THE LAST 50 EPISODES YOU SHITLORDS!!

2. It's 2014 and we live in a post racist society!! When Mr. Sabatini, the painfully stereotypical Italian pizza shop owner, only present to satisfy left wing fuckfaces demands for diversity, speaks with a distinguishable Italian accent I want to murder his voice actor, Peter Van Wagner . I'm not a racist cuntwagon, but try including some relatable characters for the white majority for once!

3. TV show characters are supposed to be interesting, right?? Cultivating well rounded, visually interesting characters is an important part of children's programming. Am I insane for thinking that?? Don't answer that . Looks like the creator of Bob the Builder, Keith Chapman, didn't get that memo. Probably too busy sleeping in a puddle of his own poo poo and piss to pay attention to his mentor, Jim Henson, who actually knew what the flying gently caress he was doing and created some really imaginative and three dimensional characters. Rest in peace, Jim.

I hope you've enjoyed..actually I don't give a poo poo fucknuggets!! See you next time, until then, this psycho is out of here!!

tao of lmao

i am he posted:

roasted

El Spider

i am he posted:

lmfao

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

oh my god

the unabonger

i am he posted:

holy gently caress

Kimmalah

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

:worship:

tinkerttoy

by XyloJW

:vince:

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 3, 2014

the bsd boys
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!
this thread is maximum hosed up

the bsd boys
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!
some neat gifs tho.

Lil Cunty

i am he posted:

:love:

the unabonger

I'm going to review the new hit show, Adventure Time, with Finn and Jake!
Heres my review:

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hello I'm the cartoonizer, I take a look at old cartoons to see if they hold up to today's standards. Today we're going to take a look at the well loved classic Sponge Bob Square Pants and we're already off to a great start with that completely loving retarded rear end title. I doesn't tell you anything about what the show might be about or anything. Like, am I suppose to just guess that this fuckfest will be worth watching?

Looking past that MAJOR flaw, the rest of the show doesn't have much substance either. The characters don't have any nuances, they're just a of simple traits with a voice. The crab is greedy, the sponge is annoying, the starfish is lazy and stupid. There are. I character arcs, hell there is no continuity between the episodes what so ever! How are you supposed to develop a convincing character if they can't remember any of the previous loving episodes?! It's like they wrote this show for kids!

Overall it's a loving atrocious mess that don't hold any water to some more modern shows like Breaking Bad or The Wire and I have no idea how anyone could find this clustershitting assdick to be entertaining.

I'm the cartoonizer and next week we'll be tackling my most requested cartoon yet. Oh yes, Dora the titfucking Explorer. See you guys then!

Salmiakki

this thread just keeps gettin better holy gently caress

Scaly Haylie

can someone do invader zim and/or catdog? tia

alnilam

Lizard Wizard posted:

can someone do invader zim and/or catdog? tia

I haven't seen Tia post here in a while, I wouldn't wait around for her to do it

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
jesus christ the loving snorks

here are just a few of the reason the snorks are loving terrible

1)blatantly unfair to non-heteronormative relationships

look at this bullshit where are the relationships for the genderqueer??? why can't allstar enjoy giving head to random men in a bathroom for the valentine's day episode? why can't daphne explore extra-snork species relationships with that octopus thing both vaginally and anally? you'd think with the obvious phallic imagery of the snork on top of each head that there would lots of room for the snorks to open up real discussions in pre-school and kindergarten classes about the male gaze, penis-envy, and other-gendering with both male and the females also having a "snork." You had a chance to be really brave here Hanna-Barbara, except you dropped the ball. Another generation enslaved by the patriarchy

2) blatant racism

in response to the ongoing crack epidemic and gang wars in the inner cities of the 80s the snorks choose to blame the victim by making the drug dealers in the above still blatant minority stereotypes. i'm surprised the episode didn't end with a lynching and allstar joining the klan

3) worst theme song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCq0aZiPT0

loving terrible

4)neo-nazi imagery with corky snork

an obvious throwback to the nazis corky snork is the "patrol officer" of the town and is obviously directly inspired by gestapo imagery. the above animation taken DIRECTLY FROM THE SHOW instantly calls to mind hitler making his deal with russia to divide poland between them. rumor has it of a secret FINAL EPISODE much like the FINAL SOLUTION where all undesirable snorks without blue skin and orange hair are taken to crematoriums (HOW DO SNORKS EVEN BURN POOR JEW SNORKS UNDERWATER HUH!!!!????)

in summary one should never "play along with the snorks" unless you want you or your child to become cheap underwater rip-offs of the smurfs that murder defenseless queer jew snorks

FuturePastNow

I worked in a slaughterhouse for a couple of days. It sucked worse than any of these cartoons. Except Hey Arnold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

FuturePastNow posted:

I worked in a slaughterhouse for a couple of days. It sucked worse than any of these cartoons. Except Hey Arnold.

hey arnold sucked actually

• Locked thread