Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
posting smiling
the year is 1996 Rage Against the Machine just released their sophomore album, Evil Empire

rebellion buzzed through the airwaves of america

Terror, the product ya push
Well I'm a truth addict, aww poo poo I gotta head rush

but if you were a young child, you weren't likely to know it. it's altogether more likely that you were being fed a conveniently whitewashed worldview. one full of happy endings and empty of conflicts except for those that could be wrapped up in time for your bedtime at 8:30 pm.

Lying always, sucking on a bottle of
That sweet indulgent fluid

and one figure was at the front of this campaign of complacency

meet doug funny, your sheeple in chief. after a two year hiatus, disney had just renewed the series for a new run. what's the matter, walt? were people starting to wake up? this new run didn't even feature the original voice of doug, billy west, an actually good voice actor (futurama), and one who apparently wasn't willing to play ball with the new regime. his brave act of defiance sadly wasn't enough, as disney stupidly got some idiot to replace him, and he couldn't even do the voice right.

Father's expectations
Soul soaked in spit and urine

the world of doug was a like a terrifying quaalude fueled haze. was there a topical issue that RATM took a powerful and poetic stand against? well doug was there to wash it over. go back to sleep, children, it was only your imagination. racism?

this is skeeter. a joke. a parody of a proud person of color. he can barely speak, and does so mostly in animal-like honks.

So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun
These people ain't seen a brown skin man
Since their grandparents bought one

the mental reprogramming has begun. but what about female representation? hosed again. here she is, children, the object of your desire, the apple of your eye. or should i say the candied apple?

patty mayonnaise. mmmm, feel like burgers, kids? i wonder why...

And while the gut eaters strain to pull the mud from their mouths
They force our ears to go deaf to the screams in the south

what doug did for the state of children's programming in america is akin to what bush did for public safety in iraq

it's a sickening piece of fascist propaganda and the writing is really hit or miss.

/ 5

And Disney bought the fantasies and piles of eyes
And ABC's new thrill ride of trials and lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling

i am he posted:

When I had to wait for Arthur to be over before I could watch Antiques Roadshow. Even as a kid I enjoyed Antiques Roadshow, I guess I was mature for my age but by this point everybody should realize gaining an appreciation for material history is more important than an anthropomorphic aardvark's daily life.

posting smiling

haha

Bureaus Watts posted:

The Sun Baby

The Sun Baby is the fantasical element of the show, and serves as an antagonist. It is implied throughout the series to have implanted televisions in the stomaches of the band members and imprisoned Noo-noo. It also controls the voice trumpets which dictate what happens, and when. It has been suggested that the Sun Baby is loosely based on Alistair Campbell, but no explicit confirmation or denial has been offered by those involved.

To give the feeling of isolation throughout the show, most negative things that the artists experienced during their time at the Superdome were attributed to a fictional creature known as the Sun Baby, who represents evil in the world. Comparisons to countless villains have been made, many saying that the Sun Baby is a parody of Alistair Campbell, but the official line is that "the Sun Baby is whomever or whatever you interpret him as”, something with has been confirmed by Andrew Davenport, who said the Sun Baby was designed to reflect whatever evil the viewer wanted to see.

ahahahaa

• Locked thread