Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

tacopie posted:

:chiefsay: New PFA changes are coming! Anyone heard anything new?

New other then everyone gets rope and choked now regardless of height/weight, and everyone with a 40" waist is automatically on FEP regardless of total BCA/PRT scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm so glad that everyone will suffer the navy's asinine infallible fatty finder test.

Blame the Chief's Mess for this one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

God that would be loving amazing.

I wasn't joking. That is literally the new PRT instruction.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress yeah.

Now the question is, will commands actually enforce it on khakis. They loving need to, and I hope they do.

I suspect that it will see spotty enforcement on the waterfront like every PRT instruction before it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I liked when our commodore would randomly drop into ships and weigh in both the mess and the wardroom.

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

No it's not. Go read up on sailorbob. The majority of that info was bad gouge from a brainstorming session at some CFL meeting. OPNAV N1 said it's purely conjecture at this point and nothing is actually in writing.

This came from an O6:

buttplug posted:

No it's not. Go read up on sailorbob. The majority of that info was bad gouge from a brainstorming session at some CFL meeting. OPNAV N1 said it's purely conjecture at this point and nothing is actually in writing.

This came from an O6:

I hope this is right, but I have zero faith that it's not going to happen. This is the same sort of language that gets used every time an early draft of an instruction works it's way out to the fleet.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

However, number 8 will *never* make the cut and is just plain stupid.

lol. Welcome to he Navy. Enjoy your stay.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

This just doesn't pass the bullshit test. We can barely heard the cats for urinalysis every morning, how are they going to do a no-poo poo BCA every morning? You'd have people changing out of uniform just to go stand in line and get rope & choked. Go check out the thread on Sailorbob. There are a lot of post-major command guys in there literally going "that's the stupidest thing I've seen in 25+ years". I mean I've seen the Navy do some completely stupid poo poo (LCS), but this is exceptionally unreasonable.

What is not unreasonable is having people do height/weight *and* rope and choke during the BCA portion of the normal PFA cycle....

Leave Sailor Bob out of this. Every policy change by the Navy has a host of old captains and commanders come out of the woodwork to bitch about how stupid everything is, and how the old navy was better at everything on that site.

The bottom line here is that a "random BCA" already exists in the urinalysis program. Now they pee and get roped and choked. Honestly it's no more of a boondoggle then urinalysis normally is. It will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement the program which means it will happen.

To put it a better way, the Navy spent millions of dollars to buy breathalyzers for every command in the service, even though that was multiple orders of magnitude dumber then random BCA's.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

De-couple yourself from your SWO mentality for just a second ("it will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement"). How many commands *actually* breathalyze people as they walk up the brow these days? - there's a program we've spent millions on doing exactly fuckall. This program *will* cost money in the big scheme of things. Just because there's no direct cost doesn't mean it won't have mission impact and overall cost the government money. You have to consider the secondary and tertiary effects, not only the immediate benefits (loving millenials! kidding, kidding).

This is rampant post-war good idea-fairyism at its best. If the Navy wants to force shape, then loving force shape via retention boards...don't take the passive-aggressive way out. It's almost like we have an eval/FITREP system for exactly that purpose...

This *will* cost the Navy time *and* money - in terms of both man-hours and productivity. Keep reading the draft instruction, they're requiring commands to up the minimum number of hours of mandatory PT per week which will be another time/workday suck, and they're making it and inspectable program as well. That poo poo will equate to actual, tangible dollars and will have a real impact on the fleet. It's ridiculous ideas ideas like these that get kicked around at some random OPNAV brainstorming session full of O5s desperate for their bird that are going to continue to cause us to hemorrhage good people who are tired of the bullshit. This is likely just a part of the post-war sinosodial ramp-down, but still, it's a silly, convoluted way of implementing a reduction in forces.

And sailorbob isn't just a bunch of random retired dudes. *Many* flags lurk those boards and several of them post regularly. A *lot* of the O5s/O6s on there are in command, major command, or immediate post-major command. Yea, there are a couple of old coots on there who get their panties in a wad and wax nostalgic but a lot of the folks on those boards have pretty good connections.

Bro, calm down. I agree with you that there are secondary, tertiary, even n-ary costs associated with the program and that it's incredibly stupid overall. However comma the only costs the Navy actually gives a gently caress about when it comes to these programs is the direct cost. The ones all of those GS MBA's we pay to cook our books can track in a spread sheet. My point being that this random BCA idea has $0 of direct outlay. We have to purchase zero new widgets and hire zero new people to actually do it.

I bring up the breathalyzers because it's essentially the same decision making process. On one hand you have a pet peeve, or "good idea", from someone of authority, and in the other you have the amount of money the Navy as an organization has to write on a check with that program's name on it. If the Navy is willing to pay millions of dollars for a breathalyzer program that is orders of magnitude dumber and less necessary then random BCAs, what makes you think that they won't move forward with a program that has no impact to the budget? (See also: Navy PT gear, NWU/NSU, etc)

Also, I've been on Sailor Bob for over a decade. I'm well aware the population of that forum. Hell I once had an admiral on there quote one of my posts to disagree with me on something. My point is that in my decade of membership of that forum, there have been precisely zero times when the sentiment of the senior members of that forum have influenced a single decision made by big Navy. You can disagree all you want, but all you have to do is look at any thread related to the CQE, Breathalyzer, a sketchy CO relief, or JO retention to realize that Big Navy or even Big SWO give exactly zero fucks about what Sailor Bob thinks.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 9, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Me giving people on these boards for over a decade notwithstanding, I'm not even close to buying into the SWO mentality. Hell, I haven't even drank the Navy kool-aid. I generally still find myself disagreeing with or going against the grain on a good majority of the decisions we make because they're stupid, fruitless, and knee-jerk at best.

That being said, MML you're more or less right, I can't point to any direct effect SB has had on any Big Navy decisions over the years, not gonna argue that one...but that still doesn't make it any less obnoxious of an idea. I just don't understand why we have to skirt around issues. If the Navy needs a reduction in force, hold retention boards and poo poo-can some dead weight. Why bother jumping through the hoops of [slowly] force-shaping by dramatically altering the PFA on a whim? Because the CNO likes to run marathons? That's loving retarded. We're taking the 15 mile scenic route to walk down the block.

Oh yeah, it's totally obnoxious and stupid, and further erodes any trust the fleet has in it's chain of comman. I wish we could just have a board to trim the fat (heh), but unfortunately the Navy already painted itself into a corner by saying that there will be no more Retention Boards. A statement it had to make because it cocked that whole debacle up pretty royally.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

jesus dude that's harsh.

I mean, being a years-long Sailor Bob regular is pretty loving SWO but MML is at least pleasant to interact with usually.

Regular might be a stretch...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So, as fate would have it, I got to speak with an admiral today (who will remain nameless) that has a direct role in the Navy's fitness programs. I asked him very bluntly what the status of the proposed changes was, and if we could expect to see them soon. His answer was much more blunt then I expected, and boiled down to the current instruction is more or less sufficient and would not be changing substantially, and the ideas such as random BCA's were stupid and not really in line with what the instruction is trying to accomplish. The response was quite the breath of fresh air.

He then went on to say the one thing he was looking at with BCA was its inaccuracies, and if there is a better way of doing business that met the intent of increasing the overall health and fitness of the Navy, but was fair and didn't require sailors to do stupid, unhealthy, stuff such as crash diet for weeks to keep their careers. :monocle:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also if you can't fit through a scuttle, automatic fail.

No lie, I was just sketching out what my baseline "functional fitness" test would look like. First off, it would be specific to community because every tribe in the Navy has different physical requirements. For the surface (and probably subs too though I have no insight into how they really work) it would consist of two parts:

1) Starting with an FFE and SCBA on, you have to go up, and down, a scuttle for time. If you pass you move onto section 2, if you fail you get to try again. Fail a second time and you fail the test entirely.
2) Go on air then, for time, carry 80lbs of equipment 100ft, on the same deck, through a QAWTD. Then drop the gear and find a 180lbs dummy and carry/drag back through the QAWTD and the 100ft back to the starting position.

Adjust distances, weights, and times for taste until you have a reasonable standard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Doesn't the USMC have two tests? A general PFA and then a Combat Fitness Test or something like that? USN could do something similar for sea-duty sailors.

Again though, never going to happen.

Yep. That was the basic idea for me, except drop the PFA portion and just do the functional test.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

It would only work if it were pass/fail. You really don't want someone trying to run this thing for higher points.

I have no problem with it being a pass/fail system. I mean in the whole point of a functional fitness test is to see if you can do the minimum level of physical activity required for your job which is a binary question. Either you can or you can't.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gunktacular posted:

Yeah, what would be the point in having anything other than a pass/fail. If you can't do it, then you're a liability on board the ship and you shouldn't be there.

Exactly.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

You'd be surprised how many calories you burn chasing down the engineer to get maintenance approval while lugging a half shelf of reactor plant manuals. In fact, just make that our functional fitness test.

The Marine test (sorta) works for the Marines because a) shlepping around carrying a bunch of poo poo is a huge part of their regular day already, and b) their uniform of the day is already pretty much their worst case outfit (until you get into MOPP crap.) An FFE+SCBA is not the uniform of the day for pretty much anyone, and getting an entire command in and out of them to run a course would take an eternity. You could mitigate -some- of that by having an off-hull course on base with a poo poo ton of spare suits + breathers, but that wouldn't help you in your Bumfuckistan liberty port when some genius decides everyone's due for PRT halfway through deployment.

Eh, just break it up by department or division or something.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can see you're almost ready to be a CO. You've already moved to a point to where you just dismiss the small details. Let the underlings figure that out.

I'm what you call an "ideas man".

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

Do you smoke cigars? When you get your command you should start if you don't already. Smoke them anywhere you drat well please because gently caress you I'm the CO. Thats what my CO did. CMDR Rubenstein owned.

Not cigars, but I was thinking of getting a salty rear end looking pipe.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

Ok I have 2 years left in my contract and my DOD obligated overseas tour is over, leaving me with 2 more years of shore duty. I would like some recommendations of not gay bases to go to.

What's your rate?

gently caress.

YES.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

IT, aka printer bitch. I have potential billets virtually everywhere.

See if you can snatch a billet in Monterey. They've got both Secret and Top Secret vaults that need computer janitors. They still had sailors tinkering with them circa 3 years ago. It's a chill as he'll command, and one of the most beautiful areas of the planet.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Octopode posted:

Just be forewarned, I'm pretty sure most of the ITs at NPS end up working at the helpdesk spending their days explaining how to work projectors to PhDs and how to connect to a VPN to dumb graduate students.

I remember the UNCLASS network being handled almost exclusively by civilians, but I didn't deal with them all that much so you might be right.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

No, just smoke a normal pipe like your fellow black shoe Fletcher; gently caress ego maniac MacArthur

Good call, but I prefer to think of Admiral Bulkeley as my spirit animal.

He's even wearing Service Dress Khaki... :swoon:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 10, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Red Crown posted:

How about another destroyerman? Burke had a serious steely-eyed glint going.

Burke's alight. He's crotchety, and full of piss and vinegar, but I've got to go with Bulkeley's resourcefulness and decisiveness.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

Is any one here currently serving on a frigate? How's the decomming coming along?

USS last ship is getting decommed by jan 2015, and getting sent over to the republic of china. Really interested in finding out about the transition process out of curiousity and there is zero talk about it on other, shittier forums.

I decommed one a few months ago. What do you want to know?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So I get to see Great Lakes for the first time ever. This place looks like a miserable place to be stationed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I have to go eat pizza with some recruits now.

In Whites.

Brilliant.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Fish posted:

What mysteries were found in the spaces during decom? I remember insurv cleanings and finding 19 year old bags of potato ships in the overheads. I like these stories.

What are they doing with the old OJ consoles? Did you let some DDG kids steal your crap?

How is it going? I'm going to be sad when the frigates are gone. I liked the culture, enjoyed the 24 port visits every deployment, etc.

Sadly there weren't any super sweet artifacts discovered. I suspect that most them for cleared out the year before I got there during their scorched earth INSURV preps. The best thing someone found was an program from the ship's commissioning in 83 that touted that the ship had :siren: THREE COMPUTERS :siren:.

As for the OJ's we kept them pretty tight. We were tagged FMF so we weren't allowed to whore them out. We actually didn't have that many people try to steal from them which really surprised me given they're pieces of poo poo and spare parts are rare.

As for frigate culture it's not as fun as it used to be. Less money, less ports, more work. I don't think I would go back if I had the option.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of my ex-SWO friends was a big fan of frigate culture over the destroyer. She said the frigate was a much closer, tighter-knit bunch. But that's a sample size of one, not exactly a definitive comparison.

Never did a destroyer, but my frigate was closer then my cruiser. However, none then were as tight as on my LCS.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Cruisers are poo poo. Not THE poo poo, just poo poo. LCS was so new, that's why everyone was close. DD Navy best Navy, may they rest in peace.

Disagree. Cruisers are the best.

buttplug posted:

FFGs are useless, which is why you would have been so tight-knit MML. With no real mission to speak of (save for being a bullet sponge), you all have to be BFFs to pass the time.

I agree with everything in this post but the core thesis. What I've seen is that snake crew sizes generally tend to breed more close crews regardless of mission. If that was true then the LCS crews wouldn't have even spoken to each other.

I will say that a lovely command climate generally prevents crews from bonding. I suspect it's because everyone hates the command so much they don't want to hang out with other crew members and be reminded of it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

During one of my first fitrep debriefs as an officer I was told that I was failing in my officer development because I didn't socialize more with the wardroom.

lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

From what I've seen through reading investigations, talking with people who were there, talking with senior leaders about it, and even going through an investigation like that myself, it's not the suicide itself that is cause for relief. It's more about whether the CO created a command climate that can be causally related to the suicide or suicide attempt.

That goes beyond merely being an asshat who wants to work the crew long hours, though that certainly doesn't help your case. I know commanders who had guys kill themselves onboard, with command weapons, and not get relieved, and I've seen CO's get relieved for a series of attempts with no successes. It's all about the context of the situation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gunktacular posted:

How much control does the commodore have in these situations? Or does that decision go a lot higher that that?

It depends on the commodore and the TYCOM. In situations where there's an investigation into command climate after a suicide (or the like) I would say that if the commodore was really going to the mat to defend the CO then the TYCOM would defer to his or her judgment. But in the end it depends on how strong willed each is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Hey MML, were in the pipeline when they introduced the WTI course or are you familiar with it?

I am familiar with it, yes.

• Locked thread