Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
but gamers haven't come to accept it yet. they're still in denial

If you've never seen a fandom collapse on itself in real time like it did with Sim City 2013, now's your chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Is the Sims thread rental worthy

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i believe a prominent fellow imp was looking forward to this game. my condolences.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Widestancer posted:

Is the Sims thread rental worthy

their denials are funny so possibly

oddly enough all the discussion is in the Sims 3 thread as no one apparently cared enough about the game to make a Sims 4 thread

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

you will need to elaborate about your virtual dollhouse drama, op

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

qnqnx posted:

you will need to elaborate about your virtual dollhouse drama, op

basically they took out a shitload of features, including things that have been staples of the series since the first game, to sell later as DLC.

The pic in the OP is the tiny (compared to previous games) game world with only two neighborhoods available (The Sims 1 had 8).

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's awesome, OP.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

oswald ownenstein posted:

I don't know why everyone feels the need to put their hands on their hips and post about how they're holding off for X reason. We don't care.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I remember when the sims 1 came out and it was funny to make mazes so they couldn't get to work or deleting the stairs. I'm pretty sure the movie maze runner is about a dude playing the sims and making it as hard as possible to get to work, the kitchen, or out of the pool.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I remember when the sims 1 came out and it was funny to make mazes so they couldn't get to work or deleting the stairs. I'm pretty sure the movie maze runner is about a dude playing the sims and making it as hard as possible to get to work, the kitchen, or out of the pool.

No more pools so :rip:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
people still play the sims?

did I fall back a decade?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
lol if you spend money on The Sims 4 instead of just getting that free copy of Sims 2 + all DLC that EA gave out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

basically they took out a shitload of features, including things that have been staples of the series since the first game, to sell later as DLC.

The pic in the OP is the tiny (compared to previous games) game world with only two neighborhoods available (The Sims 1 had 8).

It has 8 playable neighborhoods actually.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Not only did he post that, but he defended Simcity 2013 well after release, and brought Mechwarrior Online back to the forums.

With most people it's just a case of not learning their lesson, but for this guy it's just plain bad taste. He won't be dissapointed by Sims 4 like everyone else because he just loves lovely games.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Not only did he post that, but he defended Simcity 2013 well after release, and brought Mechwarrior Online back to the forums.

With most people it's just a case of not learning their lesson, but for this guy it's just plain bad taste. He won't be dissapointed by Sims 4 like everyone else because he just loves lovely games.

That sounds like a forums treasure to be cherished

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
how much micro transactions and drm is there. Gimme the DEETS

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

lol if you spend money on The Sims 4 instead of just getting that free copy of Sims 2 + all DLC that EA gave out

This.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I expect a lot of good things* from the Sims thread in the future. The SimCity 2013 thread was amazing.

*Drama

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the Sim City 2013 thread eventually just turned into everyone making GBS threads on Sim City 2013 periodically interrupted by someone coming in and saying "I just got this and it's not THAT bad" only for that person to come back no more than three hours later saying "no wait you guys were right this blows"

the Sims 3 thread already shows all the early hallmarks of the Sim City 2013 thread though, with people saying timeless gems like "well I got my $60 worth I guess, it's cheaper per hour than a movie" and "it's a fun little time waster, I guess".

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

is it always-online like simcity

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

is it always-online like simcity

it was going to be but EA backed off on that after Sim City 2013's reception

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

it was going to be but EA backed off on that after Sim City 2013's reception

well thats something

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I can't believe how many Sims games come out but The Movies hasn't had a sequel yet.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

well thats something

EA's entire business model is repeated experiments at how far they can push the consumer, then pulling back right when they hit the brink, like the raptors testing the electric fences in Jurassic Park. soon they will have enough knowledge to make the Perfectly Published Game, and the gaming industry will crumble under a tide of unending DLC and pre-order bonuses

Buschmaki posted:

I can't believe how many Sims games come out but The Movies hasn't had a sequel yet.

that's the only Peter Molyneux game I've seen get universally praised since Populace

I still say Black & White was actually really good, but then I didn't follow its development hardly at all so I didn't have obscenely high expectations going in

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

can you still make people so mad they pump iron and die like in that e3 vid

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Sharmat posted:

I still say Black & White was actually really good, but then I didn't follow its development hardly at all so I didn't have obscenely high expectations going in

black and white starts out really strong but it gets lamer and lamer over time imo

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

darealkooky posted:

black and white starts out really strong but it gets lamer and lamer over time imo

when I was younger and had like 3 PC games I covered most of that lovely map from the Creature Island expansion in Egyptian buildings. I was am a huge sperg

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

It has 8 playable neighborhoods actually.

That guy's a human being that gets high off of games failing. Add him to your ignore list.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
The Shits Pour.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Go into literally any thread in Games that is about a game that doesn't receive the Goon Seal of Win and you'll find the Sharmat scrounging around for fails like a retarded dog.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Go into literally any thread in Games that is about a game that doesn't receive the Goon Seal of Win and you'll find the Sharmat scrounging around for fails like a retarded dog.

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My biggest complaint is it's uhhh, I guess it's just like any other Sims game without all the expansions, all things considered, so your still better off with the previous ones at first.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
is this thread broken for anyone else

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hoodrich posted:

is this thread broken for anyone else

yeah i think so

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The thread is complaining about an EA sequel being disappointing and how annoying it is that it won't autosave, because it's 2002.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
this "oswald ownenstein" guy defended simcity profusely way after the whole disaster and everyone, even the fanboyest, had already accepted that simcity 2013 was a blunder.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
also, I think this won't blow up like simcity, not even close, I might be wrong but the sims seems much more like a casual game, casuals won't care.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

program666 posted:

also, I think this won't blow up like simcity, not even close, I might be wrong but the sims seems much more like a casual game, casuals won't care.

Sim City pissed people off for a lot of reasons they seem to have learned from for this, like the always online stuff and it not working and whatever, which if nothing else, this game works when you boot it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
People still care about The Sims

• Locked thread