Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i kind of feel like...sometimes i think devops witholds knowledge. like there's a lot i dont know about what goes on in devops, and that's because it's entirely inaccessible to me. often by design.

and then i'm an idiot for not like, knowing how to restart something i dont have access to. doesn't seem fair.

but devops has full access to all the code we've ver written. there's kind of a power imbalance, imo.

if i had to make a comparison, i would say that devops are the jocks, and coders are more of the sensitive intellectual types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

dev ops are just nerd losers who can't code op

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
'wtf poo poo sounds complicated i only know how to code. deployments monitoring backups woah man thats beyond my level'

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

AWWNAW posted:

dev ops are just nerd losers who can't code op

lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
devops keep developers from being terribler basically. someone's gotta call them out on putting SSNs and poo poo in plaintext logfiles. *looks at a poster itt*

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
OP have you ever worked at a place where developers has access to production? I have. I've seen things you wouldn't believe

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

let me touch production man don't be jealous cuz you can't code like this

code like this

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
*opens port 14360 to the world*
user: SA pass: pepsi12#

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
*literally disables all firewalls on windows production servers*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PuTTY riot posted:

OP have you ever worked at a place where developers has access to production? I have. I've seen things you wouldn't believe

we do have access to production lolz but i am agreeing with you i'm not saying we should have access to that stuff just that, when i dont understand how our system works because it's not documented and i dont have access to it you shouldnt act like i'm dumb for not understanding how the system works

btw this isnt an issue for me irl it's just an imagined issue.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

dev ops do your job and keep my log files secure

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what is a devops this thread makes no sense to me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i kind of feel like...sometimes i think devops witholds knowledge. like there's a lot i dont know about what goes on in devops, and that's because it's entirely inaccessible to me. often by design.

and then i'm an idiot for not like, knowing how to restart something i dont have access to. doesn't seem fair.

but devops has full access to all the code we've ver written. there's kind of a power imbalance, imo.

if i had to make a comparison, i would say that devops are the jocks, and coders are more of the sensitive intellectual types.

real devops are actually real developers working on the code that makes Windows Azure the best cloud application platform so that application developers never have to consider where their applications run.

but there are also fake devops that string together shell scripts and other garbage to make pretend that they have a stable system for your code to run on. these people are dorks of the highest order.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

kwinkles posted:

what is a devops this thread makes no sense to me

it's when you are a programmer and you have your penis replaced with a vagina

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

haha some dev ops guy asked me once what an executable I sent him was and I just had to say

what are you gonna do. not run it? bitch run that poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

AWWNAW posted:

haha some dev ops guy asked me once what an executable I sent him was and I just had to say

what are you gonna do. not run it? bitch run that poo poo

an..exe?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

AWWNAW posted:

dev ops do your job and keep my log files secure

when I saw said logfiles I told bossman 'I'm not going over you're head but I'm showing this to the security guy right now cause gently caress I didn't want to see that at all and I don't want to be the guy that didn't say anything about it" lol

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

seen so many socials I don't know what

just another day for me really

you jelling?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

also I pushed for only working with redacted poo poo for dev but got told there wasn't time or resources to redact the poo poo

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

contrast

old company gave presentations to potential customers with real uncensored personal info from other customers lol

place I work now just fired a dude for emailing a work document to his personal address

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i guess a lot of my job is "devops" which owns because we have an (awful) it organization that takes care of all the cjing and handholding with email and helpdesk crap so they brought me on to set up some simple vm infrastructure and build automation and poo poo to make developers lives easier

thank god it's a tiny team working on terrible software only very few people care about

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
developer: cares about writing software and making the software maintainable
devops: cares about deploying software and maintaining those deployments

it's not hard, op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PuTTY riot posted:

lol if you aren't dead enough already inside to not care what happens

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i would think devops is really neat except i have suffered mightily in a company with a really lovely devops manager so it's very triggering for me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

I had access to production and I hosed things up an order of magnitude less than the devops dudes did, but they were bad whilst I was good.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my favorite devops thing: just deleting stuff to see if we still need it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

by "things" i mean servers and git repos

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rotor posted:

developer: cares about writing software and making the software maintainable
devops: cares about deploying software and maintaining those deployments

it's not hard, op

i understand the difference, i'm wondeinrg which one is better

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raid is backup rite?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i understand the difference, i'm wondeinrg which one is better

you may as well ask whether the sun is better than the moon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rotor posted:

you may as well ask whether the sun is better than the moon

well i cant look at the sun without going blind so i guess in this metaphor devops is the sun?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

all computermen are hideous, we have already established this many times over

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i was trying to migrate our jira and confluence servers to linux vms and the cjs in it literally yelled at me for not putting antivirus on them

they put kaspersky on every windows server on the domain blindly

took me a few days to figure out that poo poo selectively suppresses pings from unknown subnets after i had them make me a few new ones

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well, we have a grant 'environment' that i'm supposed to use to provision my box but all the shell scripts fail because they're written in like zsh or something that's not bourne shell and also the repo is down so i just had to install everything manually.

so basically i just have an ormal computer that gets shoved through a slower compuer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

linux containers seem like a pretty cool thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah linux containment is something i can get behind for sure

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

more like quarantine

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

by "things" i mean servers and git repos

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04/12/missing_novell_server_discovered_after/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PuTTY riot posted:

that only matters if you're an html "developer" - real developers write software users run on their own systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PuTTY riot posted:

windows production servers

how is this even still a thing?

I mean, for people (I use the term loosely) other than shaggar and atwood?

• Locked thread