Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

are there games where i can use a gender slider???? i heard there was one before??!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

saints row 2, op. a great innovation from a great game

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
uhhhh you can't graph gender identity to a loving binary line. i need a game with a 3 dimensional gender matrix: male/female on the X, cis/trans on the Y, homo/hetero on the Z

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
dark souls

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

JethroMcB posted:

uhhhh you can't graph gender identity to a loving binary line. i need a game with a 3 dimensional gender matrix: male/female on the X, cis/trans on the Y, homo/hetero on the Z

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

probably the next tales of game's barkley vidcon, since thats the only logical progression from having a dozen gender choices

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
gender is a social construct and therefore cannot influence physical attributes

your gender in a game is whatever your character wants it to be

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
now if you're talking about a slider for the gender you were (unfairly) assigned at birth? good question.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

saints row 2, op. a great innovation from a great game

also "S2: Silent Storm"

Soral
May 30, 2009

also "redshirt" i'm pretty sure had a gender slider, but i blocked that garbage piece of poo poo from my memory

e.

quote:

When, as developers, we build stuff, you kind of put your own biases go into that. I thought okay, if I’m not following conventions of character creators, and just putting binary ‘male’ ‘female’ because that’s what happens, what would I actually want to put? I know that even a gender slider is problematic in lots of ways in terms of how we look at gender, and so that’s not necessarily going to be the final, final version - but you know, gender is such a complicated thing, which is also why there’s a private option, if you just want to go ‘screw all this’!

Soral fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 4, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Screw All This," the Pansexual Nightmare option

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Give me a game that rather than having a gender selector it has checkboxes

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

JethroMcB posted:

please don't use your artificial constructs to attempt to define my gender identity

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

two worlds two?

there needs to be a beast slider like my avatar

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
4th temporal dimension added, devs. gender identity is nto static allow me to refer you to some tumblrs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kazvall posted:

two worlds two?

there needs to be a beast slider like my avatar
there needs to be a beast slider in elder scrolls so i can make a cute neko-chan instead of an ugly cat face

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
This is going to sound hosed up, but IMO two genders is fine and I don't think games need gender sliders.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Poniard posted:

probably the next tales of game's barkley vidcon, since thats the only logical progression from having a dozen gender choices

[ ] male
[ ] female
[ ] dwarf
[ ] eunuch
[ ] other

where you can select any number of options should give you a lot more than a dozen, but I can't be bothered to do the math on it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It should have a slider that doesn't label either axis / side.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
i don't get the gender slider thing. are you saying you want to be 22 percent girl, 78 percent boy or some poo poo? how the gently caress does that work? i thought people like that in real life had like balls that were also ovaries or some poo poo, and i doubt they want that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

i don't get the gender slider thing. are you saying you want to be 22 percent girl, 78 percent boy or some poo poo? how the gently caress does that work? i thought people like that in real life had like balls that were also ovaries or some poo poo, and i doubt they want that.

It likely represents more the various modes of expression in identity. Farewell.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
gender slider sounds like something a japanese white castle would serve you

Soral
May 30, 2009

Wormskull posted:

It likely represents more the various modes of expression in identity. Farewell.

my gender identity is 63% male and 37% female with a standard variance of +/-3.7%. this is a normal and human way to think about gender that covers the wide and nuanced concept of self identity perfectly and is definitely not stupid bullshit, beep boop

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Soral posted:

my gender identity is 63% male and 37% female with a standard variance of +/-3.7%. this is a normal and human way to think about gender that covers the wide and nuanced concept of self identity perfectly and is definitely not stupid bullshit, beep boop

I didn't say perfectly, and it's about expression or whatever people call how you like you present yourself as well as offering a chance to diverge from "Classical" forms of beauty, however flawed, because the physicality of your video game avatar is generally harder to pretend than identity, I assume.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SR2's slider isn't so you can decide your character thinks their a more "masculine" looking woman on average, it's so you can make them look like one, for example. Or whatever. IMO for whatever its faults in simulating reality, it's better than just male or female choices as long as it doesn't gently caress up the clothes or skin textures or whatever developers are considering when creating limits.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wormskull posted:

SR2's slider isn't so you can decide your character thinks their a more "masculine" looking woman on average, it's so you can make them look like one, for example. Or whatever. IMO for whatever its faults in simulating reality, it's better than just male or female choices as long as it doesn't gently caress up the clothes or skin textures or whatever developers are considering when creating limits.

People who hate this kinda thing are way funnier to laugh at than people who like it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd just do the Dark Souls thing of having two genders, but having a slider for masculine or feminine features.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know what's supposed to be funny about people who like that kind of thing other than like if some goon is really proud of his insane samoan bodybuilding pimp trans woman hitting people with a can and he's writing a lot of words about it and putting the awesome face or like, writing some fan fiction in the Saints Row forum about his character and wayne brady choked a bitch and fled the cops while on fire. You know, goon stuff.

Soral
May 30, 2009

if i can post earnestly for a moment, like the huge human being that i am, i actually think its cool when games include gender sliders because it means that They're Trying™ and also character customization is cool and the more in depth and spergy it gets the better

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd just do the Dark Souls thing of having two genders, but having a slider for masculine or feminine features.

I personally prefer say, in the Sims 4 or Eve or w/e where you can shape the character model. Hopefully some day for these non-binary folk's sakes they figure out a good way to give expressive freedom that isn't as offensive or whatever.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Soral posted:

if i can post earnestly for a moment, like the huge human being that i am, i actually think its cool when games include gender sliders because it means that They're Trying™ and also character customization is cool and the more in depth and spergy it gets the better

Agreed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My Saint's Row character is male and has 100% on the "sex appeal" meter but dresses exclusively in women's clothing because that's just who I decided he was in SR1 and have maintained it throughout the series.

He's also morbidly obese and has a harelip.

EDIT: I should note that this stemmed from trying to break the character creator and by the end of the game I had grown attached to my hideous orange-dreadlocked pinheaded psychopath

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 4, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Large black man leans back in convertible and grins, immensely satisfied, at the sun.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

JethroMcB posted:

My Saint's Row character is male and has 100% on the "sex appeal" meter but dresses exclusively in women's clothing because that's just who I decided he was in SR1 and have maintained it throughout the series.

my saints row 3 character was a cheerleader with a witch hat

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Soral posted:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

wait, so a gender slider means i can make my character be lots of man with a little girl?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

LaTex Fetish posted:

wait, so a gender slider means i can make my character be lots of man with a little girl?

Good thing that's only legal in video games.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Mach2 posted:

Good thing that's only legal in video games.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Soral posted:

i am a huge human being and i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Misread "gender slider" as "gender slicer" and thought it could make a good username.

• Locked thread