Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Is there any substantive evidence to the claim that the current Ukranian government is in any way/partly made up of "Nazis" or "Fascists"? I've got a friend who continues to insist that this is the case.

Of course, he also insists that the current government is "illegal" because it didn't follow all the proper channels, as do all real revolutions :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

OhYeah posted:

Negligence? They are unlawful combatants who tried to shoot down an aircraft. They just happened to be so incompetent that they hit another one instead. It's not like they were cleaning the rocket system and accidentaly pressed the launch button.

They weren't smart enough to realize that maybe they shouldn't be shooting off missiles at every blip that pops up on the radar. They didn't see the 777 pop up and say "Gloriouski, we shall shoot down Western Homonazi Dildo Machine For Make Glorious Glory For Russia."

e: If you fire a gun in the air, and the falling bullets kill someone, you didn't plan out their murder. Terrorism requires intent, and the intent doesn't exist here.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

According to her, the restrictions apply such enterprises as "Inco-Food," "Grandma's Jug", "Bialowieza delicatessen", "Berezovsky meat-packing plant", "Gomel meat plant", "AK Dzerzhinsky", "Smolevichevskaya broiler poultry factory" and the company "Servo Suite ".

http://tass.ru/ekonomika/1588803

I'm almost disappointed that they aren't still called the "No.31 People's Glorious Revolutionary Cutlet Factory."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

It's worth noting that the markings on the Gazelle here appear to use the same formatting the French Army uses on its birds, as can be seen here, in a photo of what appears to be the selfsame Gazelle in active Armee de Terre service late last year:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France---Army/Aerospatiale-SA-342M-Gazelle/2298885/L/&sid=a23998ee4252fba7910a133f71545bae

e:given the circumstances this is probably just a French Army positioning flight.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

kalstrams posted:

I am confused then, since this and this seem to imply that Ukrainians destroyed some LPR's aviation, namely - 1 L-39, 4 Mi-24s. They also claim damages dealt to 2 AN-2s, 1 Yak-52 and 2 Yak-50, which plays fairly well with museum story. However, I then am confused about L-29 and L-39 - like, which one then? :confused:

Thing is, Soviets preserved, some of the tanks, very well. I am far from certain it extrapolates well to airplanes. On the other hand, contrary to restored T-34s, SU-100s and so on, planes claimed are fairly recent - it is being said of one Su-25 being repaired currently somewhere in LPR, and of plans to remake a few L-29 Delfins into ground attack planes. Some other guy, literally paragraph later, says that every operation is already completed. Also, they mention some helicopters, but no details.

Though, regarding aviation, pro-separatists resources tend to reports conflicting matters. This (or here), the one posted by Dilkington earlier on, and this - they all contradict to a certain degree, and so do Ukrainian reports (with regards to separatists' claims, not them selves).

Assuming this is the correct Luhansk Airport with a museum, I'm guessing this is most of what is (was?) in the museum:

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...inct_entry=true

Not exactly a top-notch fleet.

Sad, though, as there were some really rare birds among that collection.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

"The fact that atomic war may break out, isn't that class struggle? There is no alternative to class struggle. This is a very serious question. The be-all and end-all is not peaceful coexistence. After all, we have been holding on for some time, and under Stalin we held on to the point where the imperialists felt able to demand point-blank: either surrender such and such positions, or it means war. So far the imperialists haven't renounced that "
-Vyacheslav Molotov, when he was very old and very cranky and retired in the 70s

The people who imposed their form of governance on Eastern Europe at gunpoint calling other people "imperialists" will never not be funny.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

(M103 Heavy Tank; Russia has accomplished what was a bad idea in the mid-1960s!)

I'm reminded of the images of the "new" Iranian MBT's that have been circulating for a while now.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

HorseLord posted:

Can you tell the difference between a wrist mounted compass and a watch in a tiny grainy photo like that? You know, to do that, you would have to be able to see what the face of the watch or compass actually shows.

You can't, which is why they edited out everything. Because they knew if they published it unedited, they'd get people like you going "Multiple watches!!! looter!". God forbid a soldier ever need to know where north is.

Yes, However,

Privileged middle-class western kids idolizing Stalin is never not disturbing.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

HorseLord posted:

I come from a mining town destroyed by thatcher and 3/4 of my monthly income is spent on rent on a hovel with wild animals living in the roof space. I went a month without a working cooker. Hmm yes very privileged middle class.

Then why did you waste $10 to shitpost here. (that's even assuming a word of what you just said is true, which is about as likely as a wild boar hang-gliding past my window.)

Maarek posted:

I think that if you have to qualify that statement like that you are either being excessively cautious or talking to literal crazy people. If there are people in 2015 who think that ~the reds~ are as dangerous as the Nazis they are nutjobs or so reactionary that you might want to check their tattoos.

Lenin was every ounce the homicidal maniac Stalin was, he's just got a much bigger group of fawning biographers. "Leninism" is steeped in just as much blood and suffering as Nazism.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 1, 2015

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It isn't, Nazism is quite a bit worse.

Leninism is tyranny wearing a mask of the values of philosophy and enlightenment. Nazism simply dispenses with the disguise.

Nazism seeks to build a utopia for a very specific set of invented people. Leninism seeks to build a utopia for an equally specific set of invented people, though the latter is supposedly more broad-minded in who can be allowed in (but equally gleeful in kicking people out and enslaving them in the bargain). The Nazis at least specified in detail who an enemy of the "Great German Whatever" was; anyone could become an "enemy of the working class" if they became too "Bourgeois", or displeased the state too much (though of course, eventually every non-German would be an enemy of the Third Reich, so they meet in that sense.) Or even questioned the state in any way, a trait shared by both, because both claimed to have found the apex of human philosophy. Both states sought to "recreate humanity," be it as the Nazi "Ubermensch", or the "New Soviet Man;" both of which are frankly terrifyingly dystopian visions of humanity's future.

I'm not a Nazi, I'm not a White Russian, and I'm not a some imagined caricature of a "capitalist," I'm a human being, and I'm calling a loving spade when I see it. My blood or my "social class" have no bearing at all on the fact that I'm human, and any state that claims otherwise has no place in this world.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

HorseLord posted:

Working class people and minorities are invented, and favoring them over rich people is evil. You heard it here first, folks. Remember to vote ron paul kill your parents

Don't you know about little Pavlik Morozov, tovarisch?

e:and really, a Ron Paul reference? You're losing your touch if this is what you call trolling.

• Locked thread