Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Permanently? Or until they can repave the whole stretch the following season? I'm talking about potholes now, btw, not rocket strikes, heh.
Permanently, you should take a ride on Russian or Ukrainian motorways, you'd understand in an instant. It's a bit better in Poland but the streets are still full of holes, it's ok in the big cities but even there the streets can be rough (literally). It's to the point that a few years ago there was a company from Sweden that would organize visits to Poland for an 'off-road experience' driving on regular roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm actually pretty sure that SA would be all over an actual IS terrorist making an A/T thread so.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Paladinus posted:

And no, Russia will never attack Poland (I assume you're Polish). I'm actually willing to take the :toxx: if anything similar to Ukrainian events happens there.
Russia is very unlikely to attack Poland given that it's part of EU and a NATO member unlike Ukraine and is also considered a bit foreign by Russia due religious/cultural differences. Ukraine will also always be in a different situation as the oldest ancient Russian territory was located there and the idea that this land 'belongs' to Russia will be coming back throughout the history. However you will always hear voices of concern in Poland since similar military guarantees from Great Britain and France haven't been kept in 1939 so at the end of the day there's a concern at the back of the head that Russians will do what they want anyway. I personally don't think Russia could attack Poland in the current political atmosphere though - I'm Polish btw if it makes any difference.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 7, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Germans wanting out of Schengen is an oversimplification of the German political scene which is quite complex and easy to be conveniently pictured by Polish media. Germans have a different democratic mentality than Poland and discuss a lot of topics that would be a cause for concern in Poland even if broadly discussed but that doesn't mean that Germany would actually leave Schengen but maybe I'll leave this at that.

I do believe that Putin wants to create a strong Russian border east of Poland which means taking over Ukraine, Belarus etc. I don't believe that he would send troops to Poland as that would mean 3rd World War even if the reaction of the West would be delayed, Russia wouldn't risk it at least not for the next few decades. I can see it going into that direction when EU falls apart though.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

JcDent posted:

I like how beat up the T-72s in the spotting websites look. War and all, but still.

I wonder, how much of the rebel support is "free" for Russia, as in they're rapidly offloading old stock, and thus no longer have to pay upkeep, to put it one way?
They're sending visibly used equipment to keep up the appearances that it's not a Russian invasion. If people started taking pictures of rows of shiny new tanks with soldiers in shiny new uniforms it would be too obvious.

Also they really don't have to throw their Red Square Army Parade forces at Ukraine - the country isn't some military superpower and is additionally politically destabilized. They sent exactly the right army for the job. Not too flashy but enough to do the job.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

sparatuvs posted:

What makes this guy any better than the average Caro?
Is your point that he should be scrutinized, shamed and attacked just like Caro was by goons in every thread he posted in or do you somehow believe that goons accepted Caro with open arms and let him speak?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's such a weird thing to state that communism was obviously good/bad for the whole Eastern Europe because it's so country/class dependant. You'll get a completely different answer from somebody in Poland or Ukraine or Bulgaria etc. and then depending if you're talking about people with lower education and manual labor workers/intelligence/party officials. Many countries went through the transition differently and the difference between now and then isn't only about capitalism/communism but about how well the new government worked on the actual transition, how talented the economical side of the governement was over the years and how much corruption was involved, this varied extremely among different countries.

During the last stretch of communism in Poland there was a shortage of food, medical supplies, home appliances, cars you name it - laughable basic objects were considered luxury items. People depended on grey/black market to even get basic products like meat. Education, talent or being tech savvy meant nothing as you'd be getting the same amount of money as manual labor workers, the only way to better your life was through connections and if you were a government/party official or through various cracks in the system that the government turned a blind eye on. At the same time manual labor workers weren't happy either as they didn't have their basic rights or needs respected by the government/employers (make it also basic human rights) and the country as a whole was in the shitter. After all the system started being questioned and slowly destroyed by worker strikes because people as a society didn't want to be ignored anymore. Of course the change wouldn't even be possible if Russia didn't turn out to be a giant on clay feet but people also really wanted it to happen.

Anybody seeing that period in Poland as good takes a shitload of things that we have now for granted and only remembers the past selectively - like going on cheap vacations in other Eastern Block countries or getting paid for doing nothing all day because everybody was required to have a job whether it made any sort of economical sense or not, if the particular factory was actually bringing losses for decades and was artificially kept going by the government at the expense of some of the basic needs of the country or not. That's the societal class that remembers the time as good - people doing simple labor who didn't have to do much to have health care, vacation and a flat. It's another thing that this health care was absolutely terrible due to the shortage of supplies and death rates in hospitals being crazy. (Also universal healthcare wasn't just a communist thing like it's considered by some in the US, many social benefits like that still exist in Poland - you've been able to get national healthcare paid by the government when you register as unemployed since like the communist system's fall, you will not receive a life-shattering bill after a visit to the ER either, it's different here.) Flats were attrocious as the installations/construction were a mess as nobody cared about regulations and mold was like an everyday friend and people waited for years in a queues to get that flat (but hey day-long queues were normal when waiting for the shop to drop food onto the shelves). Vacations were also so cool as long as you travelled to your friendly Eastern Block neighbor as you were banned from travelling anywhere else and the government had your passport in the drawer and you had to jump through hoops to even see it. But at least everybody was in the exact same poo poo with no hope of it ever changing, right? However for example the situation of farmers was good then because they produced their own food and sold the excess on the black market for extra money and didn't feel the need to change their lifestyle. They were somebody because of how lovely the system was for everybody else.

At the same time Bulgaria was an Eastern Block tourist destination, enjoyed the protection of Russia from their usual historical enemy - Turkey, was exporting tons of food to other countries because of their hot climate and their position really went to the gutter after the communism fell. Their "among blind, one-eyed man is king" special position in the Block was lost when the artificial bubble that made them the only right choice burst. After the system shift their government dropped the ball and the epidemic of corruption destroyed any potential they had. Understandingly people from there will have a completely different sentiment for the times.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 12, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mans posted:

what's the LGBT situation in eastern europe? Are there pride parades? I know Ukraine did their first parade this year, i assume cool and good places like Czech Republic are cool with it but what about Poland, romenia or Bulgaria?
At least in Poland there has been a major LGBT equality parade in Warsaw since 2001: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parada_R%C3%B3wno%C5%9Bci. And that's the biggest one, there have been other ones earlier and in different cities. There are of course ongoing clashes between the Catholic conservatives and LGBT communities and Poland as a whole is definitely less tolerant on the subject than the West but it's not even close to the situation in Russia. LGBT has also a presence in the liberal media, the liberal parties support it and you have examples like Anna Grodzka who became the first openly transgender woman chosen for a member of a national parliament in Europe.

One of the recurring affairs is connected with an art installation on one of Warsaw's squares called "The Rainbow" which stands there since 2012:

It's getting burned from time to time and then rebuilt again:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You forgot the Polish-Soviet War in 1920, Russians were absolutely livid about it and some believed that Russians attacking in 1939 was partly driven by revenge for that conflict. There was no way that Poland would cooperate with Soviet Russia in that political climate unless they would have already been attacked by Germans and needed help.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Truga posted:

Then there's the "Hey, we'd like that bit of land there, let's make an agreement about it with our mortal enemies that view our whole ethnic group as slaves, surely they'll keep their promise" idea. There isn't a :cripes: big enough to describe it. Just... how? Why?
You somehow forget or maybe aren't aware that Russia had its own pretty strong Pan-Slavic theory where the Slavs were basically the master race. It wasn't as streamlined or openly and methodically used for propaganda as the German racial theory but it was a strong concept that in one way or another still exists even to this day. It was a pact of two countries where BOTH had a concept of their race's superiority, Germany was definitely more extreme in that sentiment though.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 13, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mans posted:

It's cool that Pride parades and gay rights in Poland are improving, the whole vibe of Poland to me comes off as a country based on conservatism and catholicism, which aren't breeding grounds for LGBT rights. It's also surprising to hear decent news from Belarus, how the gently caress is Belarus a better place for LGBT rights than Russia, that's sad as hell.
Religion in Poland is a weird thing. The political scene is very contrasting where you'll have ultra-conservative and ultra-liberal parties in the parliament at the same time and people supporting either of them will still...meet at the same church. It's often more about tradition and a social connections than what Catholic Church represents as a whole. You will hear people saying 'I'm Catholic, I go to church every sunday but I don't agree with their gay/abortion/in vitro ideas, I take what I agree with and ignore the rest'. The high % of the country being officially Catholic is how it looks on paper - in reality many people (mostly with higher education) aren't religious despite being baptised.

The church has been also losing its power over the years as it became more and more apparent that they're detached from reality, act like they're above the law, there has been a string of pedophilia and money scandals etc.

However Catholic Church's involvement in the politics is still too big and whichever party wins, it never cuts them out completely afraid to lose votes and it gets even worse when a conservative party that openly supports the church wins the elections.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 13, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Paladinus posted:

Jesus Christ, should we go back to Muscovite-Polish and Muscovite-Lithuanian wars? What the hell are you people arguing about at this point?
I don't understand how this is irrelvenat to the situation during WW2. Arguing in 2015 about country borders a hundred years earlier is dumb but we're talking about the situation in 1939 where the following facts were extremenly fresh and relevant for both Russia and Poland:

-Poland not existing as a country for more than a hundred years before 1918 (Partitions of Poland by Russian Empire, the Kingdom of Prussia and Habsburg Austria where Russia held 80% of former Polish territory).
-Poland receiving independence in 1918.
-The period between 1918 and 1920 when borders were in the process of crystalizing. There were many uprisings and conflicts during this time that influenced the future shape of the borders.
-Polish-Soviet war of 1920 that changed the borders roughly to the state of the country's borders in 1793.
-Treaty of Riga in 1921 that ratified the borders in their final state. Officially agreed upon by both Russia and Poland.
-Attack of Soviet Russia on Poland in 1939.

These events took place in the span of 20 years, not during some ancient history and weren't about 500 year old grudges at the time.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 14, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nenonen posted:

Despite massively increased spending on new equipment, Russian military really seems to be struggling with maintaining its basic infrastructure. Just on Sunday we had 23 Russian servicemen die in this:

That's just Eastern European construction quality for you, no matter how much money military has the buildings will be lovely and I'm surprised this doesn't happen all day every day everywhere - I'm saying this as somebody who's an actual architect. It's one of the most corrupt industries and the reasons for that particular tragedy can be very varied: a design mistake; investor using cheaper materials than those described in the project to save/steal money; company that built this cutting corners to save/steal money; workers themselves stealing materials to build their own houses etc. Military or not, these people have no scruples.

Every major building built in Eastern Europe (the exceptions are family houses and smaller projects) is also erected by mafia-run companies. Each and every one, the industry is completely compromised.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 14, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The way Russia handles the Malysian flight investigation is pretty much the same they did for any similar international incident especially those that happened within their borders. Meddling until you can't pinpoint the blame on Russia in any way because of the chaos. It was and is the same for the Polish Air Force crash in Smolensk but goes way back to even their own tragedies like the Kursk submarine.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dolash posted:

If Russia could somehow be made to suffer an embarrassing defeat and withdraw its influence over Ukraine and the Ukrainian economy could be brought out of a tailspin, perhaps there would be enough breathing room to start addressing internal issues and endemic corruption.
Ukraine is in the worst possible situation now when they have a war going on while the internal political atmosphere is unstable but even if Russia backs off - 'bringing economy out of tailspin' is some fantasy utopian scenario.

The country is broken, they have a long going toxic tradition of how the country is governed, no healthy political scene and corruption as a national phenomenon the scale of which the West can't even fathom. The country is too poor and it's guaranteed that whoever gets chosen to govern will see personal interests as priority over the good of the nation. For example for Poland the process of gaining any sort of economical stability took years and some very controversial people that were given power at the right time and after two decades the political scene despite maturing quite a bit is still a circus. Ukraine is lightyears behind this and even without war there has always been a high influence of Russian politics on it. I don't see any probable scenario where even if Russian soldiers back off there would have any chance for a real change.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 23, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, the reason Ukraine is a shithole, including right now, is because Russia is actively making it a shithole. This will not stop if they cede those territories, it will only give Russia additional resources to more completely damage the remainder of Ukraine. "Ending the war" does absolutely nothing to improve the domestic situation in Ukraine. This is loving Chamberlain without the excuse of a lack of precedent.
Yeah, Russian medding in Ukrainian politics goes way back, this isn't just a single war where a big country invaded a smaller one and will end with a treaty and the big country going away - this is just a very visible and brutal outburst of something that has been going on in the background and will keep going on forever. Russia is too close to Ukraine and is closely bound with its political scene, its hidden influence is massive, it will be always in Russia's interest to keep tabs on the country.

Also when I read somebody saying that the Ukraininan government should rid itself of corruption then I know this person has never been in these parts. Ukrainian government IS the corruption, there's nobody with an actual drive to make the country better. The closest you got were the idealists at Maidan, every single government official is only after his/her personal interest. The scale of this phenomenon is unlike anything you see in the West and is another leverage that Russia is using against the country - it will always pump money into Ukrainian politicians who support it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lichtenstein posted:

A bad wannabe walmart, notorious for its cost-cutting, being embroiled in numerous lawsuits concerned with violation od employees' rights and general fuckery with its franchisees is about to receive the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland.

It's probably just folks trying to secure a comfy job for after the election, but it's really quite embarrassing.
Yeah, it's the highest merit a foreign person can receive from Poland and it goes to the CEO of a company that killed local Polish businesses, treats employees badly, pumps that money away from Poland while receiving special tax reductions to leave even less. It's so transparently about private money while giving nothing to the country that it hurts.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anosmoman posted:

I consider caviar closer to a seasoning or garnish than a staple and in those categories it's fine - not mindblowing, just fine. I wouldn't eat just a bowl of caviar.
There's caviar and there's caviar. Fresh beluga caviar from the Black Sea will taste different than something you buy in a can. It absolutely is an acquired taste though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

He can do poo poo, president holds no power in Poland except for the right to veto and postponing signing some documents. The bigger concern is who wins the parliamentary elections this year as only with PiS at the helm would Duda's ideas have any legs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The problem with PiS is that its electorate % is constant and its success depends on whether the other parties gain or lose in particular elections. That said - PO is in the shitter because of late scandals, lack of activity but most importantly Tusk's absence so imo they're out. Now the question is whether 'commies' (more like liberals) make a come back or Kukiz's gimmick party takes more % than expected because of the 'I'm voting on this guy because everybody else disappointed me' factor. PiS winning would be a catastrophe but even if it happens I don't believe they'll have a majority and they'll have to share the power with somebody.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I never believe polls before Polish elections because they're always wrong, it's a lottery which one gives any indication of reality. I still have hopes that people are too afraid of PiS winning and presidential election came just in time for a wake up call that it's happening again but at the same time I see no party serious enough to take POs votes so they'll get scattered among smaller players and PiS wins, yay.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ardennes posted:

The sources saw otherwise, obviously there were too many Jews in Poland too move, but I think the idea was at least partial relocation. Obviously it didn't work out but does show rather that antisemetism did clearly exist even if was near the same level as the Nazis.

Of course the actions of Pre-War Poland are not comparable, at the same time, history is largely about context and it is difficult to make accurate judgments without that information. It is worth nothing that antisemitism was rather persuasive across Eastern Europe even if the mechanics of death weren't universal. Also, it challenges the notion that the Polish government itself was honestly "benign" but rather was than being more preferable to its direct alternates (Nazis/Soviets).
I would never argue that Poland wasn't 100% antisemitic before the war as there is enough historical material showing various party movements that include those nationalistic and antisemitic as well as those being in complete opposition to them.

However there's a big difference between acknowledging antisemitic sentiments in the cooking pot that was Polish political scene before the war and talking about the actions taken by the Nazis. You insist on not oversimplifying things and not seeing them as a chess game between 2 dictators - I agree - but at the same time I don't know how you're not seeing that talking about the final solution and "Poland wanted to send Jews to Madagascar" headline in the same breath is as bad of a black-and-white thinking. The holocaust subject is so heavyweight and loaded that it immediately polarizes the discussion and the fact of the existance of the Madacascar plan leads to useless historical speculation (and in my opinion it's the same bias that you talk about in your last paragraph) ending with "Yeah, Poland wasn't as bad the Nazis but..you know" which implies the exact opposite and you're kidding yourself if you don't see this. It's good to discuss that stuff, don't get me wrong but it's also good to properly assess the implications and consequences of those facts and put them in historical context.

The Madagascar situation in particular was a plan that was at first supported by both antisemitic AND Zionist movements and didn't come from Poland either. It was considered one of many alternatives to Palestine. Way before Poland got involved - the British government took part in negotiating this idea and looking for countries interested in it because of the tensions rising from the enormous Jewish migration to Palestine (its own colony) in 1920 (to redirect at least some of the people coming there to other places) even though Madagascar was a French colony. The Polish team sent to evaluate Madagascar included Zionist representatives so that they could say if they were even interested in the plan.

For Polish government it was briefly seen as a chance to buy an otherwise unattainable colony and another reason was that at the time Jewish emigration to other countries desired by Jewish emigrants was strictly limited by those countries (Poland was restricted to as few as 6 thousand immigrants a year to Palestine in 1927). It was actually a very complex political situation that included a lot of different nations. You can of course discuss the reasons for the existance of Jewish emigration from Poland and that's another complex subject but it doesn't matter if they wanted to emigrate to the US, Palestine, France or Canada - Madacascar was just another such (eventual) destination and not some kind of future relocation spot resembling ideas behind the final solution.

There's plenty of other stats that clearly show the difficlut Jewish situation in Poland before the war like the low number of Jews on high positions in the military/universities/government. There's the whole subject of Jews not existing on the main Polish political scene outside of the Communist party (as the three most important political movements at the time were focused around farmers, catholics or nationalists and Jews identified themselves with neither). Nobody is arguing against that and it was/is a subject of many studies in Polish institutes as well and THAT still wouldn't be enough to draw a conclusion that Poland was somehow going in the direction of Nazi Germany as there are many different factors stemming from the fact that Poland only started to exist as a country and had a different political situation and minority structure than its neighbors. People saying that Poland was a Jewish paradise before the war are crazy (it was full of problems if even only because of how big the Jewish minority was) but so are those jumping into the other extreme and saying the country was going in the direction of Nazi Germany especially while holding the freaking Madacascar as an argument.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 10, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I wonder, with Ukraine continuing to draw down their forces in the east, what intelligence is making Lithuania and Latvia ramp up the military build up. Is it just for extra security or is a Russian invasion a real threat?
From one side it's political agenda as that makes the government look as if they're working on the country's security and from another it's fear of Russia but not coming from intelligence sources but the complete opposite - not knowing what Russia might actually do.

The exact same idea was put on the table by PiS in Poland as a way to get more votes in the upcoming election. If they win they might also actually go through with it as that would really nicely play with their stance against Russia. It has nothing to do with there being an actual threat on the horizon though, they're just using the circumstances for political gain (not that I blame them, every party does similar stuff).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

How about the fact that last Russian army soldiers officially left Poland in 1993. WW2 and Germany is ancient history in comparison, not that it's not remembered but it's in no way as relevant. It also depends on which part of the country you're in. Polish people have a tendency of thinking that the place where they live represents what the whole country is thinkgs and that's often not the case. It's also very much dependant on the local history for example you'll see a lot more hate towards Russia in cities destroyed by them in WW2 and towards Germans in cities destroyed by Germans etc. The younger the generation is the less it cares about any of it though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

That's sorta what I was thinking too, but maybe you have to be directly in the fog to be effected? Not sure, I've never been tear gassed before.
No, you don't have to be in the fog to be affected, that would make it way too easy to avoid. Nobody would be able to stand in that room for a second if it was real tear gas. Once I was on a bus in Poland when somebody threw tear gas into it for shits and giggles, I don't recommend.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 17, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Polls are pretty misleading in Polish elections. Before the election when PO won PiS was leading as well. I'm not saying PiS won't win but don't underestimate just how much people are afraid of them which can be very motivating the day of the election.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

crabcakes66 posted:

Wait people still site Russia's sham referendum as evidence of anything?
Apparently obtuse armchair politicians do because this:

tsa posted:

but rather the exclusion of voices in the east (including Russia) that happened in the aftermath was fairly foolish and naive.
is the stupidest thing I've read today.

"If only they listened to Russia it surely wouldn't invade, just look at the referendum results :smugbert:"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tevery Best posted:

Lichtenstein has put a lot of effort into making an election effortpost, so now I can make an election shitpost with clear conscience.
This is the most accurate Polish politics write-up I've read. Jokes are better when they make you depressed. Thanks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A reminder it's the guy whose electoral promise was to remove women's right to vote and he was using :biotruths: to prove that it's a logical idea.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ardennes posted:

So at this point is a Pis-PSL coalition the most likely outcome? It seems like rural populism and social conservatism would work fairly well together. Would Korwin actually have a shot at government? Could Polish Ron Paul get some ministries?
PSL makes a coalition with anybody, left, right it doesn't matter because they only care about farmers and nobody else cares about them so they get that piece of pie for free and vote for whatever else the other party wants. Korwin has no chance because he's impossible to work with, nobody wants to step into that poo poo, it's not happening ever.

Also you have to know that when PiS had its rougher days they were talking about making a coalition with SLD aka communists aka their direct enemy and their voters were ok with it as some kind of "sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil to survive but we trust the great leader is still actually against them" scenario. That's how deluded these people are.

PiS will go for a coaltion with anybody but PO and in order to understand why that is so is that big players in both parties come from a relatively close group of people who were politically active around the time Solidarnosc was doing its thing in Gdansk before the fall of communism. It's a bit crazy when you realize how many of big time politicians either lived/worked in Tricity or studied there at the time of the regime's fall. All those people know each other personally, drank and partied together and fought against one another in dozens of small organizations Solidarnosc comprised of and they drag the friendships and animosities from that time to this day. Some political decisions are really personal and based on whether or not these two guys had a good time together when they were students - welcome to Polish political scene.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 25, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

First exit polls from Polish election:

PiS - 39.1
PO - 23.4
Kukiz'15 - 9.0
Nowoczesna - 7.1
Zjednoczona Lewica - 6.6
PSL - 5.2
KORWiN - 4.9
Razem - 3.9

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Does he have any hair patch left to shave?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kaczynski was mentioning he'll set the rights of journalists 'straight' if he wins, right? I wonder how fast he can set Poland in the direction of Orban's vision for Hungary (which he also praised).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

People tend to forget what PiS did with CBA which started to run like a classic communist invigilation/spying agency breaking constitutional rights and targetting people opposing PiS. Also when they gave a guy who was the head of a nationalistic organization resembling one of those fascist ones (but officially not of course) the chair of the minister of education and he started throwing out 'profane' books from the educational programme that challenged nationalistic or catholic views. Also when they made an insane farmer vigilante the marshal of the sejm and let him run wild with ridiculous farmer reforms. Also everything PiS cares about is who was or wasn't an agent during the communist times and they're very eager to quickly jump to conclusions based on documents that everybody who needed to had open access to and could change to whatever he/she wanted. Of course these purges never show anybody from PiS in a bad light. Also I'm only waiting for them to start talking about presidential plane's crash conspiracy theories 24/7.

Overall it's a disaster of a party that cares only about dealing with their current and past enemies and making them suffer and won't stop at anything including outright illegal actions to do just that. In the meantime everything else in the country gets stalled or gets de-reformed and also lol at any Polish international relations in the next 4 years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I encourage every thinking person to do the same as me *votes on Korwin*.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lichtenstein posted:

PolPol basically started pretty interesting and funny as everyone tried to figure out this modern democracy thing again, then got in a very boring (barring particular interesting incidents) postpolitical tug of war between PiS and PO and now that PO disintegrated everyone is confused again and crazy is back.

It'll probably stabilize itself in few years with Nowoczesna fully taking the PO mantle, Kukiz disintegrating into PiS or whatever, but for the time being we can enjoy the ride.
I don't know if there's really much to enjoy from this ride as what PiS does is far from harmless clowns like Palikot or whatever and the 90's were insane for many different reasons including economical ones which aren't there anymore. Poland really can't afford a crazy government anymore but here we are.

Nowoczesna is too fresh, who knows how long it will exist considering the Polish political scene, they're yet to prove how stable they actually are. PO may still make a come back if Tusk comes back to Polish politics in 2 years after his EU vacation but he may also not have the will to do that. Kukiz is the biggest joke though, it's basically a gathering of random people and I see them dissolving into many other parties 1 year from now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Truga posted:

Some more funny news from a small and stupid Slav country!

People in Slovenia are pissed about this whole refugee thing. Like, really really pissed. There's people going "We should restart Auschwitz and send these people there... and quick!". So this random person started a tumblr: http://zlovenija.tumblr.com/ It contains some nice facebook photos of people smiling/with their friends/family etc, coupled with their public facebook comments.

Following that, as of yet anonymous person started printing these out and posting them around towns:

So now we have pictures of people smiling at you from lamp posts and public poster spaces, along with their :gas: refugees comments. It's wonderful.
This owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Those parties seem better than what got through the Polish election this time but also Most sounds to good to be true.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nenonen posted:

Apparently it'll be handled as hooliganism. Given that he's done similar stunts before and is still - currently - running free, it doesn't seem like he's in much more trouble as he's already on trial.

At least this time he didn't manage to hurt himself.
Not even close to what young artists are willing to do to make a splash. He's actually making the news so he's way ahead of others and probably gets his peers real jealous about it. Maybe he'll get an international museum tour out of it if he plays his cards well. If somebody thinks this isn't calculated and that this guy is mentally ill then congratz on naivety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I mean in an art world where everything has been done at some point and performance art has seen people literally dying (unconfirmed but still) then if becoming a new art star takes nailing your balls to a rock at the Red Square under oppressive regime then you bet your rear end somebody's going to do it. If he gets a jail sentence out of it it will be the best gift he could get as it's like a badge of honor and a 1st class ticket to MoMa while his friends continue painting with poo poo/menstruation blood or any other 1st year student radical material that doesn't get outside the broom closet class of the Moscow art uni.

• Locked thread