Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

That's just bizarre. I always have trouble understanding why repressive regimes make their countries as unprofitable as possible- surely if you have the power to be president for life it'd be better to make your country's economy stable. Repressing independent media, I can understand- repressive taxes just destabilize your grip on the country's population, though.

The people in charge, I think, don't really consider it that far ahead. I wouldn't be out of line calling oppressive dictators "sociopathic" or some other form of anti-social disorder that makes them less inclined to care very much about their citizens or bother understanding them. Power, profit, and control are the big goals for them and they basically act like bullies about it instead of even feigning being likable.

Remember, being in charge of a nation and being smart do not always go hand in hand. It's quite easy to get into positions of power purely through your ability to manipulate and have no idea how to actually handle your responsibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking as someone who produces ads as his job, that was probably a very low-budget production company that has good ideas and not a lot of time to film. Either way, I like it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wierre posted:

I was there yesterday, see you there tomorrow?

This had better end with one of you dramatically saving the life of the other.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maarek posted:

The idea or feeling of being powerful again might be enough. Putin's approval ratings went up during the annexation of Crimea and are still ridiculously high even as they go into a recession. Sometimes people will go along with a lot of bullshit if their leaders bring back some of that former glory, especially in a place like Russia that was a superpower in living memory. It worked in Germany after WWI, at least.

I think a lot of Americans don't really get this. They think that because life was lovely in the Soviet Union (especially compared to Glorious Capitalist America), the Russians should welcome the introduction of capitalism and world culture. They're forgetting that the USSR was a superpower that was the only real rival to the United States for almost half a century and the loss of that power is still recent. Imagine if the United States fragmented; even the people who despise the federal government today will start to miss the easier life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Obdicut posted:

I don't get how you think this is a rebuttal. Yes, he was stereotyping Roma. That's the problem.

The short version: yes, there are some black people in America who are part of street gangs. Yes, it's also racist as poo poo to be scared and distrustful of black people because of that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the Soviet period was larger than the 1980s though and even then there are parts of that period people miss. Also, as for the Russians, life actually got even worse for them during the 1990s than during the 1980s. There were at severe shortages during the 1980s of many goods, but in terms of actual consumption of food, especially meat went way down during the 1990s.

Basically, they lost their status AND for most people things materially also got worse, life expectancy for men went from 64-63 in the late 1980s to 57-58 in the mid 1990s. It was a pretty rough time. Russian male life expectancy only reached Soviet levels in the late 00s/early 2010s, thats bad.

Even in the United States, people who despise the federal government are more reliant on the stability it provides than they'd care to admit. Chances are if the US fragmented into separate nations that now had to negotiate with its new neighbors to keep up trade and travel, everyone would really start to miss being on top of the universe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm impressed at how racist this thread got while I was asleep.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

And just because a racist will claim that african americans are lazy bastards doesn't mean that chavs aren't lazy bastards.

Chavs aren't an ethnic group you moron.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pycckuu posted:

People are lovely towards the gypsies because gypsies steal. If you want to change the way you are treated by others, stop stealing their poo poo.

My God, it's like my redneck client who hates black people and Hispanics and fears their thieving ways got transplanted to Russia.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 29, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Racists are amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cuntpunch posted:

You know, speaking of bizarre non-integrating cultures, I come to realize I can't think of a single cultural slur for the Amish.

Now there's a group of people who really hate integrating into modern society and get away with it.

Their cultural background is based around self-sufficiency and not relying on outside communities for their lifestyle. They'd use cars regularly if they were capable of manufacturing them. They use electricity as long as they don't need to connect to outside power lines (solar panels are quite valuable to them), but they allow motorized wheelchairs for the disabled and electric-powered medical equipment because they don't believe in causing undue suffering through their restrictions. They often have private phone shacks outside of the home (so that communications with the outside world don't impede on the privacy and sanctity of the home) and many New Order Amish are purchasing cell phones or having phones installed for their businesses. They don't drive cars, but they do hire drivers.

Generally there's no way to really guess exactly how an Amish person treats modern society, as today's generations are growing up in a more interconnected world that has difficulty truly separating themselves from the "English". They also have a limited ability to avoid laws and regulations, especially things like child labor laws. And while the Amish aren't unpopular enough to inspire lynchings or anything, that's mostly because they're a predominately white group whose beliefs are based around pacifism and social togetherness and they lack the "not fully human" idea applied to blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Roma, etc. or the "religion of evil and violence" applied to Muslims. They still suffer abuse, just not to the level of specific anti-Amish legislation or fear of them. Literally nobody is scared of the Amish.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 29, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So how much money do these Roma spend on their travels?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

Looks like an offensive is going to start soon.

Poroshenko ditched the "special status" for donbass and is deploying more troops to key cities.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29905014?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

I would not be surprised if this whole thing restarted very soon.

Gotta get it over with so the Red Alliance guys have fresh pics and video for reference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Uh-huh, this thread gets pretty creepy at times.

It's only okay to dehumanize people if they're Roma, I guess?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Don't know about fake fronts, but Bat'ka's visits and Dazhynki are leading reasons of very real road repairs and building reconstructions. The best example would be Babruisk that was a depressing small town before 2006, but got a new train station, cobbled streets, and new roofs and windows on houses, and nowadays it looks like a neat little European town (well, a considerable part of it, anyway). Unfortunately, there aren't many other reasons for this kind of positive change, because that's how authoritarianism works.

E: also, in Russia (and in Belarus, I imagine) they often use things like that

It's not to fool anyone, but just because it's nicer to look at than your regular green safety net.

The theme parks here in Orlando use those too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my dad posted:

Is this a threat?

The threat is that after midnight he's going to post more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

What wars? Russia's not in any wars. What, what are you pointing at? Oh, that. That's not a war, and Russia's not involved. Maybe you need to have your media checked.

The tanks aren't an invasion force. Russia just wanted to show Ukraine its new toys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is no conflict in Ukraine. There is only Police Action authorized by UN due to US protest and inattendance at UN over Security Council vote on Israel.

This thread has grown to the point where I legitimately can't tell trolling responses from pro-Russian responses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

We're not trolling- we're paraphrasing and mocking the Russian rhetoric on these issues.

I should have included joke responses in that post.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to put this on Facebook.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Was browsing some Russian mil-sim stuff on Facebook and found out that DoberGuard, a Red Alliance forum member who makes custom gear for airsofters, has joined the Donetsk rebels. He's promised to handle his business after the war stops.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 10, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Pavel (Pavlik) Morozov was a "heroic" boyscout martyr who ratted out his family to the red comissars and then was killed by the remaining relatives.

And further investigation suggests that he was actually coerced into snitching about his dad by his mother because he had abandoned them and she wanted revenge.

And exactly what crime the father committed (and who they reported it to) varies depending on what era the propagandist is talking to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TeodorMorozov posted:

Urgent news guys!

Putin guilty! We have clear photo from satellite!

I was wrong! I'm so sorry! Please, you could take back Crimea, Donbass and Moscow!
And also Pavlick Timozfeevitch Morozov!

I don't even know any more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm kinda curious what happens to the dudes who gently caress that up so bad.

They keep making lovely propaganda.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The author was over 60 and cut [Pooh’s] testicles off with a razor blade because he had a problem with his identity

This is not a sentence you hear every day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

They do know there's such modern reproductive concepts such as surrogates and in-vitro fertilization that allow gays and lesbians to procreate?

If it's not done in the back of a Volvo, it didn't count.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

eigenstate posted:

Києвѣ (Kiev/Kyiv) is called the "mother/metropolis of all Russian (руским) cities". No mention of Ukraine.

I do not understand, tovarish. Kiev is in Russia. That whole region is only Russia. It has always been Russia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking as an American student born in 1992, I was taught how to write cursive to great exactness (right down to keeping it properly within and outside the lines) during elementary school by rote. Since we're not forced to use it for anything after learning it, though, most people just use it for their signatures at best. After enough years I stopped caring about properly writing my cursive signature and it's now merely a distinctive, curvy scribble with a horizontal line over part of it.

Personally, I find writing in it to be pointlessly formal. I prefer handwriting to be simple with easily distinguishable letters to prevent any mishaps in communication. This is especially a problem in my job, where I have to interpret the handwriting of dozens of random people every day and some of them literally misspell their own names.

The most interesting has probably been the Arabic students we've had. Contrary to what you may expect, they don't have bad handwriting in terms of appearance. However, they don't really utilize capitalization and instead simply write everything in all block letters with little to no punctuation beyond periods. This can make it hard to determine exact capitalization with foreign place names, which isn't a good thing when doing data entry. It gets more complicated with the classes that include multiple nationalities, predominately Egyptians and Arabs mixed together. While their language has similarities, they have different names for the same places and it becomes hard to keep everything in order.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

awesome-express posted:

Literal rape prisons :smith:

Norway's not on there. Still got my chance to emigrate!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't recall the US having any specific attempts to stop a flow of Russians. We're too busy panicking over Mexicans (and the other Central and South Americans who get vaguely lumped into them by racists) because we somehow interpret "Poor people fleeing to a wealthier country with less government death squads" as "NASTY WELFARE QUEENS TAKING OUR JOBS." And "It's an expensive and difficult process to enter the United States and you can be rejected for no reason after years of waiting and scrutiny to find out if you're a terrorist" gets turned into "THEY'RE JUST CROOKS."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

Have you at least payed the poor guy in hard currency like dogecoins or Zimbabwe dollars?

I've bought so, so much Eastern European military surplus now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OddObserver posted:

AKA the party that has been reduced to 6 seats in the new parliament. Though he seriously needs to pick better company.

Have the 7 guys in the cabinet been replaced?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look, just admit that most of Europe remains the property of Rome and it's about drat time Italy starts taking back its rightful land.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

awesome-express posted:

Why don't you want to move to Russia?

Because it would mean actually living in Russia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paladinus posted:

I was just replying to the specific question of whether or not Stalin can be considered a moderate compared to Lenin.

Wow. We're really at the point where a debate has come up over whether the man who killed between 34 and 59 million people during his dictatorship was a "moderate" compared to anyone else.

I mean, maybe. If you're comparing him to someone who literally eats babies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

I mean I predicted, in this thread, it would skyrocket while the central bank is on Christmas break.
Stabilized at 58.4 or so.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get the chance to repeatedly refresh the Google conversion calculator and watch the value plummet second by second.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Neither would I. But covertly manipulating the character of Ukraine's opposition doesn't seem like something they'd be good at.

I think the info released from the torture documents mostly indicates that the CIA is a bunch of sociopathic morons who not only encourage harming innocent people even if it's proven not to work, but will lie their asses off to ensure continued funding and lower scrutiny.

A lot of conspiracy theorists like to pretend that they're covertly controlling the world, but most available info suggests that they're less Illuminati and more Bad Corporation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

You posted a lot of words that are rather confusing. I don't see how the CIA torture documents have anything to do with Euromaidan. I'm also pretty sure conspiracy theorists aren't controlling much of anything, and Adam Weishaupt wasn't nearly as powerful as the comic books want you to believe.

I meant the conspiracy theorists think the CIA is controlling the world.

My point behind the torture documents is that they give great insight into exactly how the CIA operates, and the answer is that they're not only incompetent but also lie about their competency so they can keep everything running how they like it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So they're incompetent, but still criminally genius enough to covertly stage an uprising in Ukraine?

.....no? I literally never said that they could stage an uprising. My entire point has been that they're too incompetent and often pointlessly mean to covertly steer world history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Seems like just after hours-type stuff, probably doesn't mean much. The Russian central bank did report they spent 10 billion USD supporting it last week, though.

I love countries where people taking the day off can devalue their currency.

• Locked thread