Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait to hear how Putin justifies "separatist" shelling and bombing of civilians in Mariupol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dilkington posted:

Could you define "tomclancy chat?" I am trying to learn as much about the Russian order of battle as possible, especially in regards to how it is integrated with separatist units.

Does suggesting that Poroshenko should have stabbed Putin while he had the chance qualify?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also there are fascists/far-right supporters practically everywhere in Europe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Here's a long and interesting article, though probably too pro-russian for most people's taste:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n17/keith-gessen/why-not-kill-them-all

Boy, if that's pro-Russian, I can't imagine what an anti-Russian version would read like.

I think what you mean is that it's not unabashedly pro-Ukrainian. It reads like a fairly objective account at first glance (I haven't been paying enough attention to attempt fact checking any claims). Until the last ~10 paragraphs or so, anyway.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 5, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Present posted:

Whenever I keep seeing articles on how the separatists and pro-Russia supporters are people too and are fighting for their blah blah blah, I just remember that they've been watching Putin's TV channels and literally believe that they are about to be invaded by Kiev's forces, who will kill all the men and children and rape the women.

I don't know if you actually read the article but it does not suggest that at all:

quote:

No one was thinking that all this would lead to war. People were scared and unhappy and doing something about it. That the protest took on such a strong separatist colour was due less to the protesters’ basic demands (regional autonomy might have been enough for many) than to the recent Russian annexation of Crimea. ‘The contradictions didn’t necessarily lead to war,’ Dergunov said. ‘But when Crimea went with the option of total separation, it pushed the extremes, both pro-Ukraine and pro-Russian, to the fore. That was Putin’s real crime – this is what created the war.’

Then, on 12 April, the police station in the city of Slovyansk, fifty miles north of Donetsk, was taken over by a group of unidentified commandos. The police were overwhelmed. ‘These were not locals with hunting rifles,’ the new chief of the Slovyansk police told me. ‘These were highly trained, well-armed men.’ It soon became evident that the commandos had come from abroad: the Russian aid that the protesters in Donetsk had been calling for had finally materialised. At that moment, what had been a people’s uprising turned into an armed revolt, and some would say a covert invasion.

Disorganised and confused, the post-revolutionary government in Kiev was also intimidated: the Russians had massed troops at the border and repeatedly said that they were prepared to meet any violence against pro-Russia protesters with force. After the armed takeover of Slovyansk and then a dozen other cities in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions, the government sent in some tanks, unaccompanied by infantry, only to have local residents block their movements. It took several weeks before the government mounted a serious counterattack, which it called an ‘anti-terrorist operation’, or ATO.

It sounds like the genuine local separatists were not expecting to run an separatist rebellion as such, but that they were pushed into independence by Crimea's 'success', and then into armed insurrection by Russian agents.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Present posted:

Dude, right in the second paragraph:

Kiev's forces is not the same thing as Maidan protestors. The former implies regular armed forces. And a few paragraphs later it suggests that representatives of the post-Maidan ministry of the interior came and met with the pro-Ukrainian ultras and urged them to arm themselves to fight separatists. If that's true, it wasn't exactly unjustified paranoia, was it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wonder how much money Russia is saving from breaking the Kharkiv pact versus how much was spent on the whole conflict up to the annexation of Crimea... and since then too, I suppose.

Livers posted:

They actually believe that Ukraine is run by a homonazi junta. Polls state that more than 80% of russians are behind their glorious leader, while the remaining 10% composed of intelligentsia, shake their head in astonishment and prepare to leave the country. Yup. Great, smart lovable people.

This is like, totally a uniquely Russian phenomenon.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

orcane posted:

It would really surprise me if that adventure saved them any money at all. Putin's singlehandedly tanking his economy, that can't end well.

Oh I'm sure the sanctions alone dwarf the financial impact of anything else, but I don't think it's implausible that Putin calculated he would be saving money by seizing Sevastopol and jacking up gas prices.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There were Russian soldiers captured in Ukraine. Putin claimed they got lost. He also admitted that the polite green men in Crimea were Russian soldiers after the fact. The DPR PM admittrd that thousands of Russian soldiers are fighting with them but claimed that they're doing so on vacation. Only morons would believe these stories or still doubt that there are Russian soldiers in Ukraine.

A good number of links for this stuff are here: https://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/09/05/the_art_of_doublespeak_a_timeline_of_vladimir_putin_s_excuses_and_evasions.html

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zohar posted:

I wrote to KGS NightWatch (a widely-read geopolitical newsletter) a few days ago taking issue with some of their analysis, and they actually replied to me. Thought people here might be interested in their reply, for what it's worth:

quote:

The US stoke the government in Kyiv and Russia stole Crimea.

:rolleyes:

If they're going to write garbage like this they should at least make sure to clarify that this is supposed to be an interpretation of Russia's viewpoint, not anything objective.

efb

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nobody said anything about hypothetical Russian deaths either except natural ones. The discussion was actually about ethnic Russians not reproducing much. That's perfectly fine by me.

jaete posted:

I've noticed that nobody is using the word invasion for Russia's, well, invasion of Ukraine. Why exactly is that?

The West is still trying to pretend it's not an invasion?

If the West admitted it to be an invasion they might actually have to do something about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kill Russia, gently caress Putin?

Surely there is hentai of that sort somewhere on 4chan.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SA_Avenger posted:

Kid bullied by pro-ukrainians for posting a pro-russiand vid online apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcVuDiMbjEI

Wow, that really is some brutal torture right there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

3peat posted:

Some other funny romanian/english pronunciation things: the english word "foot" is pronounced just like the romanian word "fut", which means (I) gently caress. So if someone yells out "my foot!" to a romanian it sounds just like "mai fut!" (I'm still loving/I'm loving some more!)
Or the romanian word "(eu) fac" that means "(I) do" but is pronounced exactly like the english word "gently caress"

I would not pronounce fut like foot (more like foo plus a t than foot, which are not pronounced the same) or fac like gently caress, but then I guess these are not universal pronunciations in either language and I can't find dictionaries with phonetic transcriptions to support my claim.

The most confusing eastern European language thing is that Serbian, Greek and Romani apparently lack definite articles of any sort, not even postposed ones.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am invoking Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty.

- Are you sure you want to invoke the article?

Definitely.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

double nine posted:

... I don't get it

It is a lame pun on the definite article "the".

PhilippAchtel posted:

This seems a strange step to take when Russia is winning the battle on the ground. Is this just a bargaining chip in whatever future negotiations there are to be had?

I get the feeling that Putin does not have a strong sense of irony and does not care if the world knows.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Heliosicle posted:

Look at any news site with up/down voting's comments and you'll see that isn't the case.

Yeah, all of the Ukraine-related news on CBC gets flooded with Russian trolls who upvote each others' (or their own) comments 50-odd times. Today's wisdom is that the high-velocity objects that struck MH17 must have been bullets from a Ukrainian plane's machinegun. I don't know how many people even bother to read those comments but it seems like only limited effort is required to get a few tens of votes to spam the site. Fortunately, the default ordering is by date, not by upvotes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Literal homonazi spotted.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mightypeon posted:

How can people, after the massive western politician presence, the openly admitted "democracy foundation" support, the open western bragging, the leaked phone calls etc. see Maidan as something else but an unusually violent "color revolution"?

I just dont get it.

You are the worst troll.

"How can people still think Ukrainians have agency and are not mere pawns of the West?", blathers an incoherent idiot inbetween unironically posting RT conspiracy theories.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mightypeon posted:

Well, if the February agreement would have been upheld, (as in, new elections after a proper election campaign can be waged under normal conditions, no more use of violence etc.) that would have indeed happened.
It was not upheld, and Russia was not the one breaking it within less than 24 hours.

How could Russia break an agreement it wasn't even a party to :psyduck:

From what I remember, there was some twitter buzz about an image of the agreement showing that the Russian observer didn't even sign it in the first place. Or was that a different agreement? Google isn't helping me here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

redscare posted:

Yup, they're Lega Nord (you can see the logo on the arm), which is kind of like the Italian equivalent of the National Front.

Ah, the fine folks responsible for this tasteful poster, which is plenty offensive without even knowing what the text says.

Dolash posted:

There were also those French politicians who visited Russia recently in solidarity. This whole crisis has been a great chance for Europe's ideological sludge to float to the top.

Are communists still on board with Putin/Russia, and if so how do they feel about being on the same side as far-right/fascists?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OhYeah posted:

Yeah satellite logs show the ship stayed in Russian waters for one hour, not enough to get ze grabz onboard or anything like that.

One hour is definitely long enough to get crabs in Russia.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TeodorMorozov posted:

Ukraine Today with report about Sunday Peace Marches in Moscow. 21 September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7SDN8lrfc

Time machine in action. Amazing Ukraine's nanotechnologys.

Sooo is your complaint that the wording is misleading, because that footage does appear to be of the March anti-war protests in Russia just like the narrator says?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The_Franz posted:

What's with the separatists constantly attacking the Donetsk airport? Did they not get the message about the ceasefire or do they just like walking into a Ukrainian army meat grinder? If they need an airfield they are probably better off making a new one well within their little stronghold because at this point it's probably damaged enough that you aren't going to be landing any planes there.

They don't need an airfield seeing as they don't have any planes to land and they can get Russian air support from across the border just fine.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SaltyJesus posted:

in absence of :serbia: and :romania: :tito::respek::eurovision: will have to do

also, lmao Hungarians, being rated lower than Roma in Eastern Europe is harsh

You don't want to see what the results were for Hungarian Roma. Even worse if they're atheist.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

3peat posted:

Romanian presidential results map by county

So one part Transylvania/Wallachia-Moldova split, and one part urban-rural split?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

The CIA couldn't machinate its way out of a paper bag.

They can certainly machinate people into wet paper bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So this is a big deal in Moldova right now. Bank fraud with three banks has caused people to protest in the streets by the thousands. Protesters have set up a camp in the square and they refuse to move until the government does something, preferably resign.

http://www.ibtimes.com/moldova-protests-stretch-eighth-day-bring-20000-streets-over-massive-bank-fraud-2094415

Holy poo poo it is loving incredible that someone managed to find $1.5 billion to steal in Moldova, especially if it didn't involve pilfering foreign remittances.

• Locked thread