Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Suqit posted:

I still have and my daughter still uses my first gen iPad every single day.

Poor girl :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As a 7'2" male with an 11 inch penis you can imagine my phone needs are never really satiated do to the puny nature of smartphones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

I'd imagine if you look at the sales of the Galaxy line you'd probably have an answer. They make a Mini that's roughly the same size as the iPhone 5, but it's way outsold by the base model, Note, and Mega versions.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 6S generation includes a Mini, but right now the 5S seems to be the stand-in for a smaller 6.

It isn't a fair comparison because the Mini Galaxy phones are always really low quality relative to the big ones. Only Sony makes a non-compromised big flagship and mini version, and they're basically not available in the U.S. so who knows how they'd sell here.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

lol Santa may bring her a new one if she's good this year...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I can't wait for the new phones, but I'm going to hold them in store before deciding between the 6 and 6+. I like the idea of an all in one device that replaces my ipad, but not if it's too big to be practical to carry at all times.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Suqit posted:

Apparently you can double tap the home button to bring that <Sean to the bottom

And yet Nilay Patel is convinced he won't ever use that feature because he can totally reach "across the entire display." I just don't get that kind of...fawning? delusion? I don't know. Apple admits it's too big by including that feature, why insist that no, my thumb is totally like 6" long, no problem man.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TVs Ian posted:

I'd imagine if you look at the sales of the Galaxy line you'd probably have an answer. They make a Mini that's roughly the same size as the iPhone 5, but it's way outsold by the base model, Note, and Mega versions.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 6S generation includes a Mini, but right now the 5S seems to be the stand-in for a smaller 6.
I imagine the 6c or whatever is just going to be the 5s crammed into a thinner case anyways. From alleged benchmarks and specs we know, it doesn't seem that far behind the 6 anyway, so I wouldn't get upset over buying a 5s over a 6 if size is a concern.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

vyst posted:

As a 7'2" male with an 11 inch penis you can imagine my phone needs are never really satiated do to the puny nature of smartphones.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kitten smoothie posted:

The ISIS secure element is in the SIM because it's the part of the chain the carriers control for sure, and they didn't want to lose control and whatever revenue stream that could be skimmed off it. ISIS and the carriers did not have the keys to write data to the secure element built into the Nexus devices, which is why they blocked Wallet.

Google didn't even have access themselves. There's a delegated third party, which in Google Wallet's case was First Data, who basically acted as the gatekeeper to writing data to the secure element. When you added a card to Google Wallet, First Data signed/encrypted a payload that was sent to your phone and installed on the secure element. Only they could sign things to be written to that chip, and the secure element was pretty much hardwired straight to the NFC antenna so no software running on the application processor could skim what was being sent to a credit card terminal.

Apple has the clout to tell the carriers to go piss up a rope, we control the hardware secure element and you're going to like it.

Maybe I am wrong on this but it seems the issue with Google is they are getting hosed on both ends, that the major banks won't certify the secure element they have access to for mobile NFC tokens, that before the A8 the only place any major bank has certified for mobile NFC tokens is the SIM cards and the SIM cards are unquestionably the pure domain of the carriers, I think even the physical property of the carriers. I don' think the banks are really colluding with the carriers to block Google, it's that before Apple they haven't really trusted anything, not even the SIM card secure element in most many cases. If the only place they will certify is the SIM card the effect on Google is probably the same but it is probably within the carrier's right to say stay off the SIM card.

I'm not saying the carriers aren't being assholes and aren't blocking access without ulterior motives but the banks are probably as much to blame as the carriers, no doubt that Isis has been begging Bank of America, Citi and Capital One for a long, long time for token access. I don't think the carriers factor in at all with ApplePay, Apple isn't telling anyone to piss up a rope, it's that Apple had the clout to go to the banks and get them to agree that the A8 was secure and issue them tokens which is something that even Isis has had limited luck with.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

TVs Ian posted:

That's because it's actually kind of poo poo.

quote:

Under the hood is a dual-core 1.7GHz Snapdragon 400, a clear downgrade from any of the original GS4's chipset options. NFC, Bluetooth, IR and WiFi are all included as well, though 802.11ac isn't an option here. The Mini also features a scant 8GB of internal storage, which doesn't leave much room for your own personal enjoyment, especially after you take into account both the OS and Samsung's TouchWiz UI.

[...]

One of our biggest hardware gripes is the lackluster 4.3-inch Super AMOLED display with qHD (960 x 540) resolution, which translates to a pixel density of 256 pixels per inch. Needless to say, this is a considerable drop in quality from the GS4, whose screen resolution is a full 1080p.

[...]

As it turns out, there aren't any major surprises when it comes to image quality, either. Pictures tend to be slightly oversaturated, though most of the shots we took were at least detailed. Often, the camera had difficulty reconciling areas of low and high exposure within the same shot, so we had to rely on HDR to balance the two -- fortunately, images looked great in this mode, and we didn't hesitate to use it in multiple situations. We were a bit disappointed that the Mini has a shutter lag of roughly two seconds, which becomes a problem when you're trying to take pictures of moving objects -- or children. (This was also a concern with the GS4.)

The lack of good quality smaller phones is a common complaint in the Android community, and until very recently they simply did not exist. The "mini" phones are almost always a downgrade from the larger models.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

vyst posted:

I'm still of the mind that the market they are pushing hard (health and fitness) is going to completely reject this product simply because the watch does not do what it needs to do without a tether to an iphone.

I'm a runner and if I'm training there is zero reason for me to carry both an iwatch and an iphone to run when the RunKeeper app on the iphone will do everything I need it to do. On top of the fact the iwatch might not be sweat/water resistant just is icing on the poo poo cake for reasons why I wouldn't carry it.

There's supposedly an "offline" mode in which the watch will still track your fitness and do various other things and will then sync that data with your iPhone as soon as they're connected again.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

RVProfootballer posted:

And yet Nilay Patel is convinced he won't ever use that feature because he can totally reach "across the entire display." I just don't get that kind of...fawning? delusion? I don't know. Apple admits it's too big by including that feature, why insist that no, my thumb is totally like 6" long, no problem man.

All suspicions will be proven right if during their Note 4 review they mention how it's too big for their hands, but then when I hold this 3DS XL sized phone it's totally perfect.

quote:

The lack of good quality smaller phones is a common complaint in the Android community, and until very recently they simply did not exist. The "mini" phones are almost always a downgrade from the larger models.

I can see Sony trying to nudge back into this market. They are literally the only ones other than Apple that have a mini version of their phones on par with their flagship bigphones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
A little more detail about the "Reachability" feature. One big potential issue: after hitting a button, it goes back to normal display. I imagine this might be something they tweak, but it would really kill the ease of use if you actually use it frequently.

ars technica posted:

We’ll need to spend more time with it, but Reachability feels like a compromise right out of the gate. It’s a necessary concession to reality—iOS relies overwhelmingly on navigation buttons kept in the upper-left and upper-right corners of the screen. These were reachable with one hand on 3.5- and 4-inch screens. They are emphatically not reachable on either iPhone 6. Android and Windows Phone both solve the problem by putting a hardware or software Back button at the bottom of the screen, an element that has been criticized for its inconsistency but generally gets the job done.

Reachability solves the problem for iOS, but it does so in a way that doesn’t feel very intuitive. First, it’s an odd gesture that sort of overlaps with an existing one (double tap the Home button without pressing to enter Reachability mode, double press the button to bring up the multitasking switcher). Second, every time you press a button in Reachability mode, the app “window” zooms back up to the top of the screen, and you have to double tap again to re-enable Reachability and press the button again. It’s an OK solution for when you need to press one button, less so when you need to tap several navigation buttons at once.

We suspect that many iPhone 6 users (especially iPhone 6 Plus users) will simply adjust to using two hands more often with their iPhones, possibly without even realizing it. But Reachability feels like something best used only when you don’t have that option, rather than a great, easy way to handle all your navigation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Maybe I am wrong on this but it seems the issue with Google is they are getting hosed on both ends, that the major banks won't certify the secure element they have access to for mobile NFC tokens, that before the A8 the only place any major bank has certified for mobile NFC tokens is the SIM cards and the SIM cards are unquestionably the pure domain of the carriers, I think even the physical property of the carriers. I don' think the banks are really colluding with the carriers to block Google, it's that before Apple they haven't really trusted anything, not even the SIM card secure element in most many cases. If the only place they will certify is the SIM card the effect on Google is probably the same but it is probably within the carrier's right to say stay off the SIM card.

I'm not saying the carriers aren't being assholes and aren't blocking access without ulterior motives but the banks are probably as much to blame as the carriers, no doubt that Isis has been begging Bank of America, Citi and Capital One for a long, long time for token access. I don't think the carriers factor in at all with ApplePay, Apple isn't telling anyone to piss up a rope, it's that Apple had the clout to go to the banks and get them to agree that the A8 was secure and issue them tokens which is something that even Isis has had limited luck with.

Google Wallet had Citibank as a bank and Mastercard as a card brand on board back in 2011, but they didn't get any further than that. Perhaps it was because every carrier but Sprint kept making GBS threads on any attempt to distribute the app and it wasn't worth the effort to negotiate any further.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Logikv9 posted:

I can see Sony trying to nudge back into this market. They are literally the only ones other than Apple that have a mini version of their phones on par with their flagship bigphones.

Yeah the Xperia Z3 compact looks really, really good. It's a shame that it'll probably see a limited release in the US.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RVProfootballer posted:

A little more detail about the "Reachability" feature. One big potential issue: after hitting a button, it goes back to normal display. I imagine this might be something they tweak, but it would really kill the ease of use if you actually use it frequently.

An easier solution would be to not make the phone absurdly large.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So will the 5s magically become cheaper when the 6 drops?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah the Xperia Z3 compact looks really, really good. It's a shame that it'll probably see a limited release in the US.

Does Sony even do contract phones for any carrier?

A MIRACLE posted:

It's pretty cheap right now so maybe not?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wengy posted:

There's supposedly an "offline" mode in which the watch will still track your fitness and do various other things and will then sync that data with your iPhone as soon as they're connected again.

The gps is what we want not the other stuff. If the watch doesn't have gps you can't measure pace or distance without the iPhone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BGrifter posted:

An easier solution would be to not make the phone absurdly large.

This is what Steve would have wanted. Here he is wishing his iPad could make telephone calls.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

mango sentinel posted:

Does Sony even do contract phones for any carrier?

I think T-Mobile has the Xperia Z1s but I'm not sure.

And wow, the z3 compact really does look fantastic. Dustproof and waterproof, drat.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

This is what Steve would have wanted. Here he is wishing his iPad could make telephone calls.

My phone is too loving huge to make calls; good thing I can just use this watch I'm wearing to call people!

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
So what's the story with the "c" line? Is the idea that it only comes out in tandem with "s" releases, so the current 6 will be the 6c in a year? Maybe they'll just scrap the whole thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holding my 3ds XL vertically, I can easily reach all around the screen area with my thumb one handed. Not everyone has tiny lady hands. I can also use a Note one handed with no problem. These journalists aren't part of some #Applegate conspiracy. :v:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 10, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Big City Drinkin posted:

So what's the story with the "c" line? Is the idea that it only comes out in tandem with "s" releases, so the current 6 will be the 6c in a year? Maybe they'll just scrap the whole thing.

Literally no one here could know this.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

maduin posted:

My phone is too loving huge to make calls; good thing I can just use this watch I'm wearing to call people!

aaaaaand the trap springs shut on us all.

We're all doomed to a future of Apple Watches compensating for the crappy new iPhones aren't we? :sigh:

Maybe it's time to embrace this bold new direction for Apple. Coming soon: the Apple PenFone, it's a pennnnn and a phoooooone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

No, it magically became cheaper as of yesterday. I imagine some retailers might have bigger sales at some point, though, sure.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Holding my 3ds XL vertically, I can easily reach all around the screen area with my thumb one handed. Not everyone has tiny lady hands. I can also use a Note one handed with no problem. These journalists aren't part of some #Applegate conspiracy. :v:

Same. I love my Note 3 and would hate going back to a smaller phone.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

the kawaiiest posted:

And wow, the z3 compact really does look fantastic. Dustproof and waterproof, drat.

These seem incredible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Same. I love my Note 3 and would hate going back to a smaller phone.

Hold your phone in your right hand how you normally would and type one-handed on the keyboard, maybe press the home button. Stop typing and without moving your hand, reach the top left corner of the screen. If you can do that, please measure your thumb length and tell us if you can palm a basketball.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm really not a fan of the glass back, but otherwise it does seem really nice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just anecdotally it seems like the 5C has had a really long tail, as the year has gone on I've started to see more and more of them in the wild.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Isn't the Mini cheaper though? Entry level Androids outsell the premium ones, IIRC.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the Mini cheaper though? Entry level Androids outsell the premium ones, IIRC.
I dunno about other manufacturers but AFAIK the Galaxy S3 was far and away Samsung's best selling product as a flagship model.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

You remember incorrectly.

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-samsung-dominate-list-top-10-best-selling-100853996.html

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Suqit posted:

Apparently you can double tap the home button to bring that <Sean to the bottom
When they rolled out the bigger screens on the 5, they rolled out iOS 7, which introduced swipe to go back, which was intentionally making it so you never had to tap the top left of the screen, since it is out of reach for some people. Same rule applies.

edit: Actually sorry there was a year where the poor early adoptors of the 5 were on iOS 6 can iirc had to tap the top left corner. I never had one.

nebby fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 10, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

Hold your phone in your right hand how you normally would and type one-handed on the keyboard, maybe press the home button. Stop typing and without moving your hand, reach the top left corner of the screen. If you can do that, please measure your thumb length and tell us if you can palm a basketball.

I'm really not a fan of the glass back, but otherwise it does seem really nice.
I'm not going to measure my thumb but I can do all of those things and palm an NCAA basketball.

Seriously if you have anything above average sized hands it's not an issue.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Mini is cheaper, and when I was still selling phones instead of fixing them, that was the only reason people bought them. Most people preferred the bigger ones, I can only think of one or two times somebody wanted it specifically for the size.

And while they do have lower specs, the Mega versions do too, and those seem to sell a decent number. I assume the specs are lower on those so they can sell a 6-inch phone for the same price as the base model.

I wonder how that curved edge on the glass will hold up on the iPhone 6. They said the glass is reinforced, but I think having the edges exposed like that may result in a few shattered screens (based on seeing a lot of broken S3 screens). Which is good for me really, since 95% of my business right now is fixing busted Apple screens.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

I can't hit the top left corner, but I'm not sure why I'd have to, the back button is right by my thumb.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

I'm still of the mind that the market they are pushing hard (health and fitness) is going to completely reject this product simply because the watch does not do what it needs to do without a tether to an iphone.

I'm a runner and if I'm training there is zero reason for me to carry both an iwatch and an iphone to run when the RunKeeper app on the iphone will do everything I need it to do. On top of the fact the iwatch might not be sweat/water resistant just is icing on the poo poo cake for reasons why I wouldn't carry it.
This at least implies some level of water resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Have the people bitching about the soft buttons in Android actually, y'know, used 4.4.4? Having the buttons disappear when you're reading something and open up a new bit of screen real estate is awesome.

• Locked thread