Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I read/head somewhere that in Gillian's case there's some mention that he did a slightly less horrible procedure where sections of intestine are removed, but yeah the whole "leaving her here will mean Mengele Jr over there will continue randomly lopping off parts of her body" make Nucky leaving her there a really dick move even if she's too far gone mentally. Like, that's pretty solidly fate worse than death territory from the perspective of the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah, it would have been extremely easy for him to have helped but then he would have been forced to do something other than throw money at a problem and actually work to help her once outside the hospital and face what he has done to her on a routine basis.

How much you wanna bet Nucky did actually walk in there and say to the Doctor: "Ok, how much to get her out?"

"Oh, no money, you just have to vouch for her. Personally. Stand up and say as a friend that she's sane."

"...What if I just gave you $5000 for a better room and left?"

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I had a friend who had been excitedly waiting for Molly Parker to show up ever since we saw that photo. He got so enthusiastic when the flashbacks started in season 5 :shobon:

...and that friend was me. :(

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't think there's been any Nellie Bly chat. Read the wiki page, at least, she was a fuckin' hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

Most notably for BE, she faked mental illness to write a story about a madhouse.

Captain Turner
Oct 2, 2014

by Ralp
I was a bit surprised by the Tommy reveal.

Now obviously I thought the actor looked and acted a lot like Michael Pitt. But my theory was they hired him to play a young Jimmy. And for whatever reason those scenes were cut but they liked him so much they kept him on as a minor role.

Anyway, I thought the finale was good enough. It could have been worse. And since the show has been on a steady decline since season 2 I'm glad they didn't completely poo poo the bed.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lmao there was no steady decline after S2, S3 is many people's favorite.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao there was no steady decline after S2, S3 is many people's favorite.

Hell I think S4 is pretty good as well. A lot of people knock the Daughter scenes but I liked those.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Ok that's what I was thinking but they seemed practically lobotimized afterwards afterwards (broken spirits I guess?).

A lot of the women in the facility would actually be mentally ill when they entered, and I think the surgery was used as an escalated treatment for patients who were exceptional in some way, like disruptive, combative, or attempting escape. It could break an already fragile mind, sure. In Gillian's case she wasn't exactly insane when she was admitted, but she's been isolated with crazy people for 8 years. Her letter to Nucky is all about how she's no longer certain if she's sane or insane, so she could have lost her mind when she was caught and forcibly given unnecessary surgery.

Alternatively, she still might be sane, but she couldn't handle a visit from Nucky just then. Gillian was begging him to come see her and then when he finally decided to come around, he was a matter of a couple days too late to save her from the knife, and then he just gave her a bullshit lecture. She might have been disengaged not because she was insane, but because there was no point in talking to him.

That's pure interpretation, though. I'm sure the literal intent of the scene was to convey that she's now crazy for real.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
poo poo I love the whole show, even this last season was great television. Its just had a similar thing to the wire's season 5 time crunch where the constraints really show at the end and and you can tell how unpolished it was compared to the prior four seasons.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I watched the last season in a bit of a hurry and one thing I didn't get was the whole Lansky in Cuba thing. Did he try to have Nucky killed because he wanted to hide his own presence in Cuba or did he visit Cuba with the intent of killing Nucky? That didn't seem clear to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mescal posted:

I don't think there's been any Nellie Bly chat. Read the wiki page, at least, she was a fuckin' hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

Most notably for BE, she faked mental illness to write a story about a madhouse.

Goddamn that asylum expose was :black101: as gently caress. Why has no one made that into a movie? Thing writes itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was on an episode of Drunk History which is the next best thing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I watched the last season in a bit of a hurry and one thing I didn't get was the whole Lansky in Cuba thing. Did he try to have Nucky killed because he wanted to hide his own presence in Cuba or did he visit Cuba with the intent of killing Nucky? That didn't seem clear to me.

To kill Nucky, part of their plan to take out the old guard running things in the NY/NJ area (Luciano was taking care of Masseria at the same time.) Lansky just wasn't counting on being seen.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The whole El Dorado thing is what framed the episode for me. Nucky's gold washed off him in the ocean and it meant nothing any longer.

I'm not wild about the season, the worst thing about it was A.R.'s offscreen death, but the series and season ending worked well thematically for me

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Mexcillent posted:

I'm not wild about the season, the worst thing about it was A.R.'s offscreen death, but the series and season ending worked well thematically for me

Definitely agree here. They really should have filmed that scene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

Definitely agree here. They really should have filmed that scene.

Where would it have worked in Season 5 as it is though?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be the first scene of the season. Show Arnold losing the poker game and saying he won't pay his debt. Then flashforward to his murder. Then continue on with the season as normal.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Cojawfee posted:

It would be the first scene of the season. Show Arnold losing the poker game and saying he won't pay his debt. Then flashforward to his murder. Then continue on with the season as normal.

Exactly this. It would have been a great introduction to the theme of the last season and book-ended with Nucky's death very neatly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In a perfect would there would have been a stopgap movie between seasons 4 and 5 that opened with AR's death and culminated with the Atlantic City Conference, to better sell Lansky and Luciano's consolidation of power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make the first 15 minutes or so a couple of flash backs to all the key events from real life. I doubt much would have been lost cutting stuff out elsewhere. Trying to buy Luciano as a serious threat when he's been mostly an idiot all throughout the show was a problem. The scene of how he recovered from getting caught selling heroin so he was no longer a laughing stock should have been a thing too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jose posted:

The scene of how he recovered from getting caught selling heroin so he was no longer a laughing stock should have been a thing too

Yeah, Rothstein taking Luciano shopping for clothes would have been amazing.

That kinda sounds like sarcasm but I'm being genuine, it would have been an incredible scene.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

In a perfect would there would have been a stopgap movie between seasons 4 and 5 that opened with AR's death and culminated with the Atlantic City Conference, to better sell Lansky and Luciano's consolidation of power.

I think I want this movie more than I want that fabled Deadwood movie. Despite knowing "what happens" I would still watch the poo poo out of that.

Jose posted:

Trying to buy Luciano as a serious threat when he's been mostly an idiot all throughout the show was a problem. The scene of how he recovered from getting caught selling heroin so he was no longer a laughing stock should have been a thing too

I'd agree with this. Luciano didn't really carry himself any differently in the last season than he did in the first. Obviously he rose in power by making the right plays but he didn't seem all that changed as a person by the end of the series. I think the acting was fine, but something about the combination of the directing and the writing kind of missed an opportunity. Luciano should be one of my favorite characters but he doesn't hold a candle to Van Alden, Harrow, Chalky, Owen, etc, etc...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

timp posted:

I think I want this movie more than I want that fabled Deadwood movie. Despite knowing "what happens" I would still watch the poo poo out of that.

I'd agree with this. Luciano didn't really carry himself any differently in the last season than he did in the first. Obviously he rose in power by making the right plays but he didn't seem all that changed as a person by the end of the series. I think the acting was fine, but something about the combination of the directing and the writing kind of missed an opportunity. Luciano should be one of my favorite characters but he doesn't hold a candle to Van Alden, Harrow, Chalky, Owen, etc, etc...

So you like everyone who died.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Owen wasn't poo poo.

Mickey Doyle should have lived though. poo poo, real Nucky lived. A LIFE FOR A LIFE!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

So you like everyone who died.

Everyone I liked died. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

timp posted:

Meyer made it :shobon:

Oh wait, he was a monster :gonk:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn that asylum expose was :black101: as gently caress. Why has no one made that into a movie? Thing writes itself.

They did a Drunk History segment about it. It was pretty good, Laura Dern played Nellie Blye.

EDIT: Beaten, I read good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

timp posted:

Angela :smith: :smith: :smith:

Margaret lived - and got some money! - but wound up with another dead loved one to add to her tally. Plus she's in Joe Kennedy's orbit now, and that dude was a sleaze.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Angela's death was the worst.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JethroMcB posted:

Angela :smith: :smith: :smith:

Margaret lived - and got some money! - but wound up with another dead loved one to add to her tally. Plus she's in Joe Kennedy's orbit now, and that dude was a sleaze.

She got her revenge when she hired Oswald in '63. :smug:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Meyer made it :shobon:

Oh wait, he was a monster :gonk:

They were all monsters, really. Meyer was just the least violent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

Meyer was just the least violent.

You know what's scary/ This is an accurate statement about a man who (in the show) calmly beat a guy to death in an alleyway to steal the money the guy won from his boss in a card game.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'd say Rothstein was the least violent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nooneofconsequence posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgt0a45iEr0

I love the fashion changes between this scene and the most recent and how much younger Charlie looks

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm pretty sure you had to kill, or have ordered killed, a shitload of people to be a crime lord in New York.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I meant personally. I don't think we ever saw Rothstein do anything physical. Never saw him with a gun in his hand. We saw Meyer kill at least a couple guys, and was used as muscle a few times.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

FourLeaf posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel the flashbacks should have been spread out over all the seasons. Hell, maybe expand them to cover other main characters too. But I realize this would have changed the show significantly. It's just that I found them extremely effective and powerful (Nucky crying at the dinner table, Nucky walking through the Commodore's mansion), at least until the last episode.

We have done flashbacks on this show before, that one episode in season 2 where we see Jimmy at Princeton for example.

Maybe they could have done it the Mad Men way. In every season of Mad Men they've occasionally randomly show scenes from Don/Dick's childhood or youth (or on occasion a flashback centered on a different character). I think most people agree that the flashbacks to Don as a kid in a whorehouse are probably the worst part of that show, though, and part of that is because they appear at random intervals and are pretty jarring. Although in all fairness the BE flashbacks have been way better (mostly stemming from the fact that the two actors they got to play young Nucky were pretty great whereas 13-year old Dick Whitman sucks and looks/acts nothing like Jon Hamm) so maybe the reaction would have been different.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just re-watched Chalky's last scene. Keep an eye on the guy in the double breasted suit right after Chalky gets his ultimate bon mot on Narcisse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4xdGL5PRB4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the gently caress? That's like some horror movie poo poo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

What am I supposed to be seeing. Him twitching his hand?

oh lol nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Do you mean the muted nodding, possibly either in agreement or psyching himself up for murder?

• Locked thread