Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cupcake2018
Jun 1, 2014
evidently its doin well

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Elder Scrolls Online doing great. Very popular with the goons I bet!

jestest posted:

Who alleviated the guild bank of everything usable? There were a ton of useful crafting mats in there

Oh wait that's the last post in the ESO thread, which has had zero posts for nearly 48 hours.

Game is dead/gay.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
lizards with tits ruin everything

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
see: Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
wildstar is apparently much more popular around this neck of the woods. just goes to show that goons are culturally irrelevant

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for eso to "go f2p" anyway, everything in the game is set up to resist things like being able to buy your way to a maxed out endgame character. There were gold sellers spamming pm's and in zone chat the first few weeks but there was no market for them so they just gave up and buggered off. If it's not profitable it seems more likely that they would just kill it. Then again that's probably wishful thinking and they'll prob. end up making a godawful hatchet job of making it f2p

Abandon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
It will go f2p after the end of this fiscal year

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
must be pretty cold in skyrim or w/e that is

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i would give eso a try if it was free. just to see how badly it wants to be other games. i bet its not the same as skyrim with a whack as gently caress engine full of rubbish

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
it's not got any mechanics in common with elder scrolls games./ it's just a generic mmo albeit with an emphasis on exploration and sidequests, and set in a moderately bastardised rendition of tamriel. it's not a bad game though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Abandon posted:

it's not got any mechanics in common with elder scrolls games./ it's just a generic mmo albeit with an emphasis on exploration and sidequests, and set in a moderately bastardised rendition of tamriel. it's not a bad game though

what was the point of calling it elder scrolls if everything from it is sort of missing?

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VG53RIJ50

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VideoGames posted:

what was the point of calling it elder scrolls if everything from it is sort of missing?

because people that liked Skyrim will buy it based on the name alone

or at least that was the hope

Dec 26, 2012

Abandon posted:

it's just a generic mmo. it's not a bad game

uh

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I didn't like how they made it look like you could build however you wanted, like make a wizard in plate armor or something, then railroaded you into using specific types of weapons and armor based on if you wanted to be a wizard or fighter or something and not be poo poo at your job

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

When someone installs an MMO they are kind of asking for it tbh

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I didn't like how they made it look like you could build however you wanted, like make a wizard in plate armor or something, then railroaded you into using specific types of weapons and armor based on if you wanted to be a wizard or fighter or something and not be poo poo at your job

the bait and switch like that kind of sucks but otherwise it becomes really hard to balance things so that's what i expected, really. if everyone could be a wizard in plate then there would be no reason to use cloth

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Silver Striker posted:

if everyone could be a wizard in plate then there would be no reason to use cloth

movement speed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
ESO is kind bad but if you think it's because of the class customization then you're pretty stupid. It's one of the only things the game does really well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Extra posted:

When someone installs an MMO they are kind of asking for it tbh

b-but EVE Online

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Extra posted:

movement speed

i didn't fully articulate my point but this is basically what i'm getting at: there has to be some disadvantage to using plate armor otherwise theres no reason not to use it. if they did a movement speed penalty for using plate then it would turn into a question of whether or not the defense bonus outweighed the movement loss, and players will in general just pick the 'optimal' choice once the game matures enough. it's why having meaningful choices is really hard to do in mmos or rpgs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
you may not get railroaded in eve but you will get railed

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

zen death robot posted:

MMOs are just bad games and this is no exception really

MMO gamers are the modern day Sisyphus, condemned to forever jump from bad games to worse games in hope to some day that will never come find good MMO.
All this because of unspeakable sins in their past, do not pity them

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Extra posted:

you may not get railroaded in eve but you will get railed

EVE is cool in that it got how the players should tie into the whole system in an MMO exactly right but it forgot to make any of the actual gameplay fun at all in and of itself, to the extent that people in Goonswarm used to call mining (the profession that most people were doing and the basis for the in-game economy) "roleplaying an NPC" because of how nonreactive it was

if a developer that was actually good at making games made an MMO like EVE it would basically sink every existing MMO and change that entire part of the industry, but good developers just don't seem to want to be in MMOs

Soral
May 30, 2009

i remember reading a post on these forums about how they made the lizardmen and the dark elves buddies in eso even though in the other elder scrolls games the dark elves enslaved the lizardmen. this is really amusing to me and i insist nobody correct any details that im half remembering because youll ruin it for me.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's completely accurate. The Nords are also in the same alliance, and the Nords have a history of brutally invading the place the Dark Elves come from. You literally probably couldn't find three factions that hated each other in the lore as much as the three they put in that alliance together.

But caring about Elder Scrolls lore is just beating a dead horse

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

ESO is kind bad but if you think it's because of the class customization then you're pretty stupid. It's one of the only things the game does really well.

Sorry, it really isn't. They should have just locked out weapon/armor choices by class because if you do anything remotely suboptimal in an mmo you're wasting everybody's time.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Soral posted:

dark elves enslaved the lizardmen

that's about right in fact the elves at the dren plantation were pretty pissed when I ran around freeing their argonian slaves

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I want to go back to the uo days where all armor provided was armor, resistances, and encumbrance. gently caress this stat bonus and spells/abilities coming from or being modified by armor poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I want to go back to the uo days where all armor provided was armor, resistances, and encumbrance. gently caress this stat bonus and spells/abilities coming from or being modified by armor poo poo.

B-b-but then getting a new item won't feel rewarding!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How many years do we predict before the linear progression-itizing of every single game genre goes out of style?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Extra posted:

How many years do we predict before the linear progression-itizing of every single game genre goes out of style?

It will never go out of style unless someone figures out exponential progression-itizing. One good thing that can be said about GW2 is that they kept the end game static and about being the prettiest princess (until they didn't, that is).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I dunno spell effects are kinda fun, like getting an item that summons minions or causing your enemies to explode in an extra special fashion which in turn kills other enemies.

qnqnx posted:

MMO gamers are the modern day Sisyphus, condemned to forever jump from bad games to worse games in hope to some day that will never come find good MMO.
All this because of unspeakable sins in their past, do not pity them
I asked vanilla wow players why they still play vanilla. The reason is because they like the world. Like how all the areas were designed and it was much more simple back then.

Gameplay did not even come up other than being able to camp people without them flying away.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 8, 2014

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The lusty Argonian maid's day off

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno spell effects are kinda fun, like getting an item that summons minions or causing your enemies to explode in an extra special fashion which in turn kills other enemies.

I don't want that poo poo on armor. Maybe a weapon or focus or something like that, but having a bunch of special poo poo on armor is stupid.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't want that poo poo on armor. Maybe a weapon or focus or something like that, but having a bunch of special poo poo on armor is stupid.

Yeah things like where you need a set to activate an effect is stupid. Weapons should be the only gear pieces that have special poo poo on them.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
sockets are cool, having to wear a pile of poo poo on your arm to give you a skill bonus isn't

let me wear the best looking things and be a chill person

I do like passive effects coming from armor though, but only when it's a sidegrade like the Dead Space 2 DLC stuff

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

sockets are cool, having to wear a pile of poo poo on your arm to give you a skill bonus isn't

let me wear the best looking things and be a chill person

I do like passive effects coming from armor though, but only when it's a sidegrade like the Dead Space 2 DLC stuff

stuff like sockets were really supposed to give you a boost when you have less than optimal gear originally. But then it became what you top off your best gear with. I think giving the player more control over respeccing their armor would probably be the most ideal solution. Like take whatever values you have and just switch them out at your will. It removes the need for the player needing to buy a ton of extra poo poo for the gear they already got. Respeccing would also be better if you could boost an already existing stat on the armor instead of trying to make up for a lack of it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
EVE Online actually had real losses so whether or not to pursue the "optimal" choice was actually something you had to consider in view of whether or not that behavior in itself is optimal. There was a diminishing returns in modules for your ship in that the greater the improvement it was over other items in its class the more expensive that improvement became, until you could end up paying 100X more for a 5% increase in performance. You had to choose between flying the absolute best ship you could make with your inevitable funds and risk losing it all in one fight; building the cheapest piece of poo poo you could get and not stress it if you died a dozen times; or any amount of infinite positions in between. The net result was you saw a lot more variety in the kinds of things people would bring to a fight, instead of everyone that had played the game long enough being in the exact same stuff. (this effect got diluted for mass fleet battles where goonfleet had standard fits that it was willing to reimburse you for, but for general play it held up)

But I guess people accustomed to WoW would freak out at the idea that gear could wear out or explode and be gone forever until you bought new stuff

• Locked thread